Electricity On The Islands.

Rooo

Our bill is @3.97 per unit including VAT 24,186.24 units total charge 95,998.44. MAy bill.

You get a discount for 1 phase being down ever so often?tongue.png

Seriously, what is the secret? Industrial tariff? You own the transformer and the distribution cables within that area?

Edited by lom

Our bill is @3.97 per unit including VAT 24,186.24 units total charge 95,998.44. MAy bill.

Seriously, what is the secret? Industrial tariff? You own the transformer and the distribution cables within that area?

That persistent phase down is my nightmare. I hope they fixed it now, a tree on the line in high winds doesn't help..Fingers crossed biggrin.png

Yes have own transformer & own distribution lines, none the less still very mich on Par wit Trop's bill.

That persistent phase down is my nightmare. I hope they fixed it now, a tree on the line in high winds doesn't help..Fingers crossed biggrin.png

Yes have own transformer & own distribution lines, none the less still very mich on Par wit Trop's bill.

Well that explains it, you are billed from the raw high-voltage tariff while I and Tropicalevo are billed from the residential service tariff (down transformed and distributed as low-voltage). The diff between his unit price and mine is only due to his low monthly power consumption.

• Like 2

Well that explains it, you are billed from the raw high-voltage tariff while I and Tropicalevo are billed from the residential service tariff (down transformed and distributed as low-voltage). The diff between his unit price and mine is only due to his low monthly power consumption.

You want some cheap power?biggrin.png

• Like 1

Children seem to be running the electric company. The promise that the extra cable they laid would result in little or no blackouts never materialized. Get your act together.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

How about your electricity bills, are they becoming more and more expensive? My Thai grapevine tells me that a lot of locals are also very upset with the increase in the bills.

Any body knows what's going on or has this already been discussed somewhere else?

Definitely more than 3.5 baht on Samui.

My manager said that was the price some 5 years ago - now it is 5 baht (in Plai Laem)

attachicon.gifPEA bill.jpg

3.93 Baht per unit + VAT= 4.207 per unit. Not 5 Baht a unit.

The unit price depends on how much electricity one uses, it is not a flat rate but increases in steps.

My bill for the same period is 3.78 + 0.69 which with VAT adds up to a unit price of 4.78 for a 1200 unit usage.

Our tenants used aircon a lot during April so we paid 4.92 per unit for a 1500 unit usage which is the highest so far this year.

Thanks – that explains why I pay more than Tropicalevo's image of a 215-unit bill and end up with 3.77 + 0.69 = 4.46 + vat = 4.77 (1146 units), then I'm not ripped off by an "Electric mafia"... thumbsup.gif

Children seem to be running the electric company. The promise that the extra cable they laid would result in little or no blackouts never materialized. Get your act together.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Did you read any of the articles about the shutdown of the power generating plant in Songhkla due to maintenance on the gas lines from Malaysia?

It is affecting the whole South. Parts of the island , like Ban Kao for instance have no power at all one day a week.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/738651-egat-urges-southern-region-residents-to-conserve-energy/#entry8039573

Edited by Rooo
Added link.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Last night's blackouts were nothing to do with whether or not there is an extra cable. They were caused by a strong storm that swept in very quickly.

Since the extra cable was installed - there have been very few brownouts/blackouts caused by not enough power. The island has more than enough for now - especially in low season.

This is borne out by that fact that there is currently a shortage of power in Southern Thailand (due to maintenance in Malaysia) and Samui has not been impacted by this (to my knowledge).

Storms and strong winds will always cause blackouts - even with 100 extra cables from the mainland.

(Still frustrating thoughsad.png )

• Like 2

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Last night's blackouts were nothing to do with whether or not there is an extra cable. They were caused by a strong storm that swept in very quickly.

Since the extra cable was installed - there have been very few brownouts/blackouts caused by not enough power. The island has more than enough for now - especially in low season.

This is borne out by that fact that there is currently a shortage of power in Southern Thailand (due to maintenance in Malaysia) and Samui has not been impacted by this (to my knowledge).

Storms and strong winds will always cause blackouts - even with 100 extra cables from the mainland.

(Still frustrating thoughsad.png )

Trop, I think you will find that certain areas, obviously not high tourist traffic have been affected eg : Ban Kao south of the island, as I said 1 day a week no power.

Thanks for the update Rooo.

But is that is due to the 'Southern' influence - not a Samui issue. Or is it long term problem?

(I do not get out often and I forget that we still have remote areas on the island! sorry.gif )

And yes - there will always be outages for maintenance as well. I do not think that they have finished upgrading the cabling all around the island yet.

Thanks for the update Rooo.

But is that is due to the 'Southern' influence - not a Samui issue. Or is it long term problem?

(I do not get out often and I forget that we still have remote areas on the island! sorry.gif )

And yes - there will always be outages for maintenance as well. I do not think that they have finished upgrading the cabling all around the island yet.

Part of the rolling cuts they have across the Southern provinces & this is suppository part of it. One day a week apparently for a few weeks now.

There's a blackout right now around IT Complex, Lamai and also Dao Seafood Market, Chaweng.

Not sure of the full extent of areas affected.

Update 14:49

It appears to have been back in Chaweng.

Edited by Mole

Up here at the pointy end of Plai Laem we have had a few power cuts over the last few days - these strong winds are causing havoc.

Power out for 3 hours on Saturday night.

Now we are on low voltage with power flickering on and off quite a bit.

Burnt out switches and circuits later! sad.png

Up here at the pointy end of Plai Laem we have had a few power cuts over the last few days - these strong winds are causing havoc.

I should have kept quiet. ermm.gif

Just after I posted this - loud explosion and no power here until midday. facepalm.gif (Plai Laem Soi 7)

(A quick heads up for anyone else that's in 'Basil Fawlty' mode re Internet):

fawlty_gnome-300x211.jpg

My 3BB modem showed no visible sign that anything was wrong but I have had to change it recently due to no signal (Wifi or LAN) reaching any of my computers.

HTH

Edited by evadgib

I should have kept quiet. ermm.gif

Just after I posted this - loud explosion and no power here until midday. facepalm.gif (Plai Laem Soi 7)

Same for us that live up here by the airport, power came back up earlier this afternoon. Probably not the last with the predicted high wind gusts!