The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

58 minutes ago, balo said:

Actually according to the map  , it's only 5 minutes walk from Big C. If you are standing in the back entrance , outside the parking , then walk past the car wash , and then just before 3rd road , turn right , should be located next to one of the larger condos in the area. 

I think I saw Walee's Place the other day. Yes, where it's shown on the maps above. So it's still 2 minutes walk from those condo blocks I think you're talking about. I think your directions need changing a bit...

"If you are standing in the back entrance [of Big C Extra] , outside the parking , then walk past the car wash , then walk past Navin Mansion 2 (on your left), and then just before 3rd road , turn right , and almost immediately turn right again. Walk up the gradient about 150 metres, and take the first right, and then almost immediately the first left. Walee's Place is on this soi."

I think!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AbeSurd said:

I think I saw Walee's Place the other day. Yes, where it's shown on the maps above. So it's still 2 minutes walk from those condo blocks I think you're talking about. I think your directions need changing a bit...

"If you are standing in the back entrance [of Big C Extra] , outside the parking , then walk past the car wash , then walk past Navin Mansion 2 (on your left), and then just before 3rd road , turn right , and almost immediately turn right again. Walk up the gradient about 150 metres, and take the first right, and then almost immediately the first left. Walee's Place is on this soi."

I think!

Thanks Abe and JT, I found it.  Walked north on 3rd road to soi 6/1 on the right; then first left and first right at Five Bells pub. Then up the rise to the first right in front of the closed souvenir store, then first left.  The restaurant is on the right side.  However it was closed at lunch time today, with no sign showing opening hours.  I guess it's open for dinner only.  Will try again.

On 3/22/2018 at 3:19 AM, Jingthing said:

You can locate Walee's Place on this map. As you can see it's not all that close to Big C. 

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1aAuqA309JghCg0WiYJ6wqEqb3t0&hl=en_US&ll=12.936779743357047%2C100.89638848265065&z=19

I went past this place this afternoon. It was closed - probably only opens in the evening.

I can confirm it is now called 'Das Wirtshaus'.

Directions are easier from the other way. From Central Road, drive north on Soi Yume/Soi Paniad Chang, past Big C Extra on the left. Once you've passed Big C Extra, continue on Soi Yume/Soi Paniad Chang for about 200 metres more. Look out for 'Dental Loft Clinic' and 'The Legends beer bar' on the right. When you see them, turn left down the soi opposite them. You should now see 'Grace Spa' straight ahead of you. Go down the soi on the left side of Grace Spa. 'Das Wirtshaus' is two-thirds of the way down, on the left.

• Like 1

Good news for Pepper Lunch fans, the Japanese chain just opened up the first branch in Pattaya, Central Festival 5th florr.
The concept is very simple but it works , fried rice, pork or chicken, pepper and corn.

Served on a hot plate and then you finish the cooking yourself and add any spices you want. Very popular in Bangkok and by the looks of it today will be very busy in Pattaya. You can get a dish for under 100 baht , using a promo code.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjp127gXq3g

• Thanks 1

Thanks balo.

I've looked at their menu before when they were open here and then closed, and for some reason their concept never really clicked with me. Honestly, I just don't get it. Maybe someday I'll push myself and jump in. 

BTW -- where do we get their PROMO codes? 

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks balo.
I've looked at their menu before when they were open here and then closed, and for some reason their concept never really clicked with me. Honestly, I just don't get it. Maybe someday I'll push myself and jump in. 

BTW -- where do we get their PROMO codes? 
The Galaxy gift app will give you 79 baht for their standard dish pork/chicken. But you need a Samsung phone.

16 hours ago, balo said:

Good news for Pepper Lunch fans, the Japanese chain just opened up the first branch in Pattaya, Central Festival 5th florr.

Actually their second branch.

As they were one of the original restaurants when Central Festival first opened in 2009.

Failed miserably last time.

Actually their second branch.

As they were one of the original restaurants when Central Festival first opened in 2009.

Failed miserably last time.
It did fail. Not sure how miserably not that it matters. It's fair to assume the company thinks the prospects are better now for some reason.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Maybe other reasons than the food it failed. 

When I lived in Bangkok I always enjoyed a quick meal at Pepper Lunch . Together with root beer , it used to be my lunch for some time. 

I would say it was 70% full when I went there on Sunday,  not bad for a "new" place.

1 hour ago, balo said:

Maybe other reasons than the food it failed. 

When I lived in Bangkok I always enjoyed a quick meal at Pepper Lunch . Together with root beer , it used to be my lunch for some time. 

I would say it was 70% full when I went there on Sunday,  not bad for a "new" place.

You're exactly right. Unless you're an exec with that company you wouldn't know the business details about the old place vs. the new place. There are many factors in the success or failure of any business.

Anyway, back to the food, I must say I'm put off by their use of margarine. Wouldn't butter be better? 

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Anyway, back to the food, I must say I'm put off by their use of margarine. Wouldn't butter be better? 

I never even thought about it , as long as it tastes good I don't mind. 

Beef pepper rice i , this is how they advertise it:

"The unrivalled union of chuck tender and shortplate beef slices for the ultimate beef aroma and taste. Served sizzling hot on our signature teppan with the trusted combination of Japanese rice, corn, signature margarine and freshly ground pepper"

"signature margarin" must be someting extra ordinary :tongue:

Edited by balo

2 minutes ago, balo said:

I never even thought about it , as long as it tastes good I don't mind. 

Beef pepper rice i , this is how they advertise it:

"The unrivalled union of chuck tender and shortplate beef slices for the ultimate beef aroma and taste. Served sizzling hot on our signature teppan with the trusted combination of Japanese rice, corn, signature margarine and freshly ground pepper"

"signature margarin" must be someting extra ordinary :tongue:

I'm sure it tastes good enough but I have a strong bias against margarine. During my one tourist trip to Turkey I noticed the margarine flavor in lots of their dishes and I even bought a Turkish cookbook to check it out and it turns out modern Turkish cooking uses a lot of margarine. I'm actually not big on butter either but when it's butter vs. margarine, butter wins. Wonder if they're just being cheap. 

In Norway and Scandinavia margarine made of plants been used in the kitchen for a long time. used as spread on sandwiches , in dishes etc . Maybe just tradition. 

9 minutes ago, balo said:

In Norway and Scandinavia margarine made of plants been used in the kitchen for a long time. used as spread on sandwiches , in dishes etc . Maybe just tradition. 

Perhaps a poll is in order -- butter vs. margarine? :stoner:

https://theconversation.com/margarine-vs-butter-how-what-we-spread-on-our-toast-became-a-weapon-of-class-war-84087

A spread of low repute

Edited by Jingthing

I visited a Pepper Lunch Express in Singapore last month.  There was hardly any meat on my hot plate.  Luckily I wasn't all that hungry.  I'm sure the restaurants are all different but this one in Raffles City told me I had to go buy my own napkins when I asked them for one.  Can't say I have ever had any restaurant never give a napkin with an ordered meal.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AlexCanada said:

I visited a Pepper Lunch Express in Singapore last month.  There was hardly any meat on my hot plate.  Luckily I wasn't all that hungry.  I'm sure the restaurants are all different but this one in Raffles City told me I had to go buy my own napkins when I asked them for one.  Can't say I have ever had any restaurant never give a napkin with an ordered meal.

Maybe that's why they call it Pepper Lunch and not Pepper Dinner ... 

'Pizza & Pasta' on Soi Arunothai, 7 minutes walk from Big C Extra, has pretty good European food for a reasonable price...

3 course meals for 199 baht. They do a lot more than just pizza and pasta. Try the French onion soup for starters.

If you want pizza, a small pizza and sizable glass of wine (Mont Clair standard) is 199 baht.

Location: from Big C Extra, walk south along Soi Arunothai for about 200 metres. 'Pizza & Pasta' is on the left, just past the big 7-Eleven. Before you get to the school and the beer bars.

Open at 5pm. It's an open air restaurant, so no aircon or fans. Closed Wednesdays.

Disclaimer: I'm just a customer there.

Q20141231_202945small.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Thai Margarine is nasty tasting stuff.

Best avoid I think.

I avoid it so much I don't even know how nasty it is.

Isn't that the stuff they use at those banana roti stands and to slop on perfectly good fresh corn kernels? 

Isn't that the stuff they use at those banana roti stands and to slop on perfectly good fresh corn kernels? 

I buy the margarine made of olive oil from Australia. Good taste and can use it as spread on sandwiches or in baking/cooking.

20 hours ago, AbeSurd said:

'Pizza & Pasta' on Soi Arunothai, 7 minutes walk from Big C Extra, has pretty good European food for a reasonable price...

3 course meals for 199 baht. They do a lot more than just pizza and pasta. Try the French onion soup for starters.

If you want pizza, a small pizza and sizable glass of wine (Mont Clair standard) is 199 baht.

Location: from Big C Extra, walk south along Soi Arunothai for about 200 metres. 'Pizza & Pasta' is on the left, just past the big 7-Eleven. Before you get to the school and the beer bars.

Open at 5pm. It's an open air restaurant, so no aircon or fans. Closed Wednesdays.

Disclaimer: I'm just a customer there.

Q20141231_202945small.jpg

Is this the same guy who was there, then moved to 3rd Road a bit up from Klang and has now moved back - or a completely different operation?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, balo said:

I buy the margarine made of olive oil from Australia. Good taste and can use it as spread on sandwiches or in baking/cooking.

No buts, it's got to be butter. Emborg for me.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The stuff on roti stands are supposed to be Indian Ghee, but most of the vendors are burmese/rohingyas and not indians 

On 3/26/2018 at 2:49 PM, balo said:

Margarin often mixed with butter, to make it taste better and make the butter more spreadable. Pure margarin belongs in pastries, not frying.

On 3/16/2018 at 8:29 AM, AlexCanada said:

How is the schnitzel here?

Where can I find the best schnitzel in Pattaya?

My go-to for German food has been for years Bazi, on the soi about 100m north of dolphin. Never disappoints and yes the shnitzels are good, size is normal, not the "riesen".

A funny little story about Texas Chicken at Marina Mall.

Well I was up there and intending to eat somewhere else but I happened to pass it when I was feeling weak and hungry and a likely victim to be lured into buying some fast food fried chicken.

I noticed they have a set now for 138 using a temporary flavor LIME CHILE (until 6 April) that includes --

2 pieces of chicken

biscuit

mashed potatoes

fries w/ lime chile flavor

drink

What's up with three starches on the set, not to mention the sugar soda? They have coleslaw on the menu, why wasn't coleslaw on the set instead of one of the potatoes? Hmm. Maybe they own stock in obesity.

So against my better self I started to order it. I asked if the drink could be WATER instead of soda? The answer -- NO!

So I looked at the a la carte menu and soda was about 50 and water was 20.

They wanted to charge me another 20 instead of trading out the much lower priced drink. 

I pushed it a little bit. CANNOT!

Well, something that I can do. WALK OUT.

The dark truth is that I didn't really want to eat that unhealthy and their funny policy did me a favor. 

Had Korean food instead. 

So there is content here other than my rant --

Special flavor available NOW

See if you can crack their funny code if you want water instead of soda. 

Can I be done?

Maybe if TEN people walk out on them when requesting that, they'll connect the LOGIC dots? Ya think? (I think not.)

So I still haven't tried Texas Chicken, special flavor or not. (Maybe never.)

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1