2013 Honda Cbr500 Are Restricted At 9K Rpm

xastunts

Besides, if some ignorant people does not know anything about bikes thinking fun is on revving an engine, then why dont you just take the gear to neutral and rev it in your parking lot all day:D

I'm certainly not having digs at anyone, but I thought you on about getting a power commander to get rid of the limiter and make it rev higher?

Most people who buy sporty bikes would, because revving is fun, which is the point of the thread and the discussion, I thought.

The idea of it seems to upset people. Disappointed and surprised with a 9k limit on what is billed and dressed as a sports bike, how dare we! biggrin.png

Edited by Almera

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the discussion should travel down the volumetric efficiency road. You take off the rev limiter and you probably won't gain much as the engine still has the same size intake, valve size and exhaust size. People are dreaming if they think they will get more from their 500cc engine by using more revs. Even the Isle of Man Honda team had to modify the hell out of their bike engine to get it competitive.

correct its the same people that think there bike is going faster because they have put a noisy exhaust on it.....

loool what the hell is this comments really! haha.. allright! let me tell you this buddy! putting out that stock exhaust and replacing it with a good brand of racing exhaust like for example acrapovic,arrow,two brothers ,yoshimura etc will GAIN HP IMPROVEMENT!!

its out there on youtube in dyno charts if you dont believe me go make a research yourself.

and for the record! hell yeah that noisy exhaust will make the bike faster :P

All the posters complaint about the cbr 500r not rev enough,don't ever buy a ducat then because they to do not rev high either 1098 limited at 10,700 revs best stick with an er6 me thinks......lol

The funny thing is almera you keep talkin about the er6 with it's 11000 limit as if that's high revving.........lol .....that makes me think you have never ridden a big bike try 17-18000 thats high revving ,best you stick with your 250 cc I think 18,000 revs might make you shit yourself...lol

Edited by taninthai

Besides, if some ignorant people does not know anything about bikes thinking fun is on revving an engine, then why dont you just take the gear to neutral and rev it in your parking lot all day:D

I'm certainly not having digs at anyone, but I thought you on about getting a power commander to get rid of the limiter and make it rev higher?

Most people who buy sporty bikes would, because revving is fun, which is the point of the thread and the discussion, I thought.

The idea of it seems to upset people. Disappointed and surprised with a 9k limit on what is billed and dressed as a sports bike, how dare we!

Only squids think like revving an engine to the limiter on a straight is only fun almera.

The fun is using the power and potential of a bike in a correct way in correct condition. Be it a high or low revving engine.

People call riders like you squids. Just check what it is:D

Edited by loserlazer
  • Like 1

As I said, it seems to upset people.

I personally ride for fun, watching for peak power RPM's in order to maximize their speed... nah, that's for serious riders doing track days on their bikes that are limited to 9k rpm. rolleyes.gif

See, no need to try to be insulting mate, anyone can do it, and it's not what I'm about.

You've a great bike, but personally I and others find that it being so low revving to be disappointing. That's all. smile.png

Is Tuesday 6pm behind paragon good, or another day/time better? cheesy.gif

Edited by Almera

Only squids think like revving an engine to the limiter on a straight is only fun

The fun is using the power and potential of a bike in a correct way in correct condition. Be it a high or low revving engine.

That's no way to speak about Taninthai.

"it what makes small engine bikes fun you can just whack it fully open all the way to the limiter no worries about it highsiding you or pulling a power wheely and flipping it over"

All the posters complaint about the cbr 500r not rev enough,don't ever buy a ducat then because they to do not rev high either 1098 limited at 10,700 revs best stick with an er6 me thinks......lol

talking about low rev i believe is maybe a bit different from oneself to another. but if you do the match correctly the cbr at 9000rpm vs the ducati at as you stated at 10700rpm thats 1700rpm more. wich i wouldnt directly think of a low rev bike as it already stepped by the 10k limit. atleast thats what i think.

I'm afraid you're still not fully clued in. The engine is designed the way it is, not to rev past 9000rpm. This is disappointing for a bike dressed and marketed as it is. For example to take a similar engine, midsized P-Twin with the same peak power at 8500, the Kawa 650 is designed to run up past 11000rpm despite having peak power at the same RPM.

That is a pretty valid argument in some ways Almera

I do know where your coming from as I personally prefer revs over torque

for the on/off/on/off tight quick riding that makes me happiest.

But, It is not always the same for everyone & it is what it is.

A lot of riders prefer a torque based engine & that will always have these characteristics.

When 4 strokes first started racing against 2 strokes riders crossing over had to relearn a new

way to ride. Although later Moto GP started building some screaming 4 strokes as they run today wink.png

As to the 650 Kawasaki vs the 500 Honda they are mid sized twins but very different designs.

The 650 actually makes peak at 9k & can hold it till 10+k rpm with even the slightest breathing of

mods like air filter being less restrictive etc.

The reason is back to bore x stroke ratio

The Kawasaki is at a B/S ratio of 1.38 83Bx60S

The Honda is at a B/S ratio of 1.0 67Bx66.8S

That is a big difference in design some would say huge.

Not better or worse but different thinking on the engineers part

in how they wanted their product to react.

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

talking about low rev i believe is maybe a bit different from oneself to another. but if you do the match correctly the cbr at 9000rpm vs the ducati at as you stated at 10700rpm thats 1700rpm more. wich i wouldnt directly think of a low rev bike as it already stepped by the 10k limit. atleast thats what i think.
Actually if we all Jai Yen Yen a bit we can pick each others brains & gain things from these kinds of discussions smile.png

If we all agree different strokes for different folks & we all have choices.

It is cool to wonder about things & how they work & why.

You know in regards to the Ducati...Like the Panigale 1199

Only 10,700 RPM

BUT........it is kicking out a massive brain melting 195 HP !

Why? Of course many things starting with the engine architecture but also

I do notice the Ducati runs a bore almost double its stroke

similar to F1 cars

Panigale has a Bore & Stroke of 112 x 60.8 for an amazing final ratio of 1.84 !

Wow...now if only they were priced at 200k baht biggrin.png

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

What ..oh so now you change it again.. before it was a Low cost commuter fun bike bike should rev to 13000rpm... But now a supersport Ducati 1098 is ok at just 10700rpm. so funny you are..

When does the red line start on the Ducati 1098..... NOW WHERE as it does not have a redline.. It produces peak power at 9750rpm.

post-62652-0-82431000-1364740766_thumb.j

the chart shows a Ducati and ab MV Augusta.. the difference in the power and rev range is ALL about the different type of engine.

Edited by thaicbr

^

I have added a bit more to that post but it's a page back now ,was just pointing out that 9,10,11000 revs is not a high revving bike try 16-17000rpm that's high revving I guess the nay Sayers have never ridden one of them though if they think a er6 is high reving let them think that.

was just pointing out that 9,10,11000 revs is not a high revving bike try 16-17000rpm that's high revving I guess the nay Sayers have never ridden one of them though if they think a er6 is high reving let them think that.

Not at all, but the Er-6 is a straight competitor to bike in question in almost every way, an R6 isn't in any way whatsoever.

If you can't see that then, well... good luck. smile.png

Edited by Almera

^

you are the one that is so disappointed in the low rev limit of the cbr the er6 also has a low rev limit therefor if I was looking for a high revving machine ,I wouldn't buy any of them you ever hit 18,000 rpm on a bike?

11,000rpm high revving don't make me laugh

Edited by taninthai

was just pointing out that 9,10,11000 revs is not a high revving bike try 16-17000rpm that's high revving I guess the nay Sayers have never ridden one of them though if they think a er6 is high reving let them think that.

Not at all, but the Er-6 is a straight competitor to bike in question in almost every way, an R6 isn't in any way whatsoever.

Agreed.. accept in engine design they are different.. That's the difference.

Kawasaki 83 x 60 bore Honda 67 x 66.8

• Like 1

Disappointing in a bike dressed and marketed as a sports bike, isn't it.... *ducks for cover*

Edited by Almera

There is also another factor which the Ninja 650 boasts a whopping 50% advantage

That is the Power to weight ratio

Kawasaki 650 72hp/460 lbs = 0.15

Honda 500 47hp/430 lbs. = 0.10

• Like 1

Let's go with almera thinking then but on bigger bikes ,and compare the ducati 1098 to cbr 1000

Ducat 1098 10,700 limit ,cbr 1000 around 18000 limit thinking like almera this would make the ducati disappointing because it doesn't rev enough ,strange how in fact it is probably one of the best bikes out there

^

you are the one that is so disappointed in the low rev limit of the cbr the er6 also has a low rev limit therefor if I was looking for a high revving machine ,I wouldn't buy any of them you ever hit 18,000 rpm on a bike?

I'm afraid your emotions are getting the better of you. I don't think anyone has called the 11k rpm of the Er-6 high revving in any way.

Let's go with almera thinking then but on bigger bikes ,and compare the ducati 1098 to cbr 1000

Why? Are they both available in Thailand for reasonable money and good for every day use?

Cool! Hook me up bro. :)

Ducat 1098 10,700 limit ,cbr 1000 around 18000 limit thinking like almera this would make the ducati disappointing because it doesn't rev enough ,strange how in fact it is probably one of the best bikes out there

I think you might have a digit wrong on the Honda 1000 redline

I think it is 13k

• Like 1

^

I'm afraid your emotions are getting the better of you. I don't think anyone has called the 11k rpm of the Er-6 high revving in any way.

>Let's go with almera thinking then but on bigger bikes ,and compare the ducati 1098 to cbr 1000

Why? Are they both available in Thailand for reasonable money and good for every day use?

Cool! Hook me up bro. smile.png

Ok then the Ninja and the Ducati 795. Both available here in Thailand at reasonable money (ish)

"The Ninja is a smoother motorcycle, its power feeding in with a linear, easier-managed delivery. The M795’s cracking mid-range piles in with full force post 4500rpm, frantically driving the bike to its 8500rpm redline in every gear. It takes concentration to avoid bashing the 795’s rev limiter when gassing the bike in first and second."

"The Ninja 650’s 71.1bhp peak power output at 8500rpm falls short of the Monster 795’s 87bhp at 8250rpm."

info from this review..http://www.autocarindia.com/Feature/316999,kawasaki-ninja-650-vs-ducati-monster-795.aspx

when you all are done arguing dont forget to shake hands and keep beeing friends okay! i didnt want to create this thread to have alot of fists and bad words flying all over here! but yeah i have to say that i find it quite entertaining reading some of your arguments haha

Any way .. as has been shown there are a fair few bikes out there that are classed as sport bikes (Ducati) that have low redlines. So OP and Almera don't buy the 795 .....Because its crap.. ohh and almera they dont show the info in the sales brochure thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

when you all are done arguing dont forget to shake hands and keep beeing friends okay! i didnt want to create this thread to have alot of fists and bad words flying all over here! but yeah i have to say that i find it quite entertaining reading some of your arguments haha

But would you buy the Ducati 795.... yes / no

I think you might have a digit wrong on the Honda 1000 redline

I think it is 13k

My friend you are right 13,700 it is ,however as a get out I will say I was talking about stoners cbr 1000 which I believe does go 17000 rpm ,any way fed the trolls enough today I'm outta here..
  • Like 2

Any way .. as has been shown there are a fair few bikes out there that are classed as sport bikes (Ducati) that have low redlines. So OP and Almera don't buy the 795 .....Because its crap..

I probably wouldn't, due to reviews about its size and comfort, but wouldn't fancy a fully naked bike anyway, so fear not. :D

ohh and almera they dont show the info in the sales brochure thumbsup.gif

[ bite ] Not a bad bait, I'm sure you recognized it as a saying and not as literal. [/ bite]

:)

• Like 1