Maggie Thatcher Is Dead.

Jockstar

Agreed, we do know how to do these things well.

>Very well done. A spectacle worth seeing.

Nobody does pomp and circumstance quite like the British.

It's about the only bloody thing we do well. Such a pity half as much attention and energy couldn't be directed to actually running the country effectively.

She certainly showed the way for subsequent PM's to foul up the economy and life in general for the majority. What an example she was! Can't wait for the same nauseating absolution of Tony Blair. Next step beatification? Sickening and insulting to those on the wrong side of the social divide that she so exacerbated. Some legacy!

You remind me of Marvin from Hitchikers Guide.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

theblether, on 17 Apr 2013 - 12:44, said:

Patricia has risen to be the highest ranking black female officer in Britain, and is also a qualified barrister. She typifies what Thatcher was all about........Thatcher rose from being a mere grocers daughter to being the first female prime minister, and she was determined that talent should be given a chance to rise to the top.

Patricia typifies that.

Comedy gold. Thatcher only ever had one female in the cabinet, Baroness Young (briefly). If anyone has promoted women, it's the Labour party (although that's about the only good thing they've done).

Thatchers attitude was that there were no women good enough to serve in the cabinet, and yet she filled it repeatedly with nodding, hapless, Yes-men like Norman Lamont and the odious Leon Brittan.

Wow, amazing that.....it was the Conservative Party under Thatcher that opened up the first surge in University applications from the working class, Patricia was one of the first to benefit from it.

There was a time when " people like us " didn't get a chance to go to Uni, it was beyond us. Not now, and that is a direct legacy of Thatcher.

Anyway, nice to see you think the rise of a black, Scottish working class girl to be comedy gold.

Classy thumbsup.gif

The revolution in higher education started under Thatcher.......

http://warlight.tripod.com/MAITLIS.html

There might be applications for University,but entrance STiILL TODAY from working class homes is very very low in proportion

a lot of the higher education figures were a political mask for unemployment figures,as well as the people who were put on job creation schemes.

• Like 2

caef64bc-f4dc-4917-ade1-ee13a9c1ec08-320

Protesters sporting the anarchy symbol put their differences aside and cuddle a police officer. Photograph: Fred Duval/Getty Images

82898cc7-dd72-4cdf-8715-5c232f9d48b9-620

The Queen and Prince Philip speak with (left to right) Marco Grass, Carol Thatcher, Sarah Thatcher, Mark Thatcher, Michael Thatcher and Amanda Thatcher as they leave St Paul's. Photograph: Oli Scarff/Getty Images

27df5076-52a0-4eb1-8c32-39b290865fe4-620

A protester holds a sign reading 'Goodbye friend of Pinochet'. Photograph: Piero Cruciatti/Barcroft Media
Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

Quite frankly it's pathetic, I've got dozens of pals from working class backgrounds who are now degree educated and making serious money, what am I to tell them? It's an illusion? Scots Mist?

There's a contingent that can't give Thatcher credit for anything even when it's as plain as the nose on their face. It serves them not well. She made plenty of mistakes, this was not one of them.

There was also working class people attending university BEFORE Thatcher

No one ever said/ hinted that there wasnt a number of working class in Higher EDUCATION( for whats that worth)

,Sorry your point of attending in higher numbers is Scots mist

For every pal you have with a degree you will have many more, who had the ability with none.

I,ve been around students most of my life from all classes all abilities and multi national hahah

I,ve been around people with talent with ability with the qualifications who couldnt get into unversity because of their backgrounds

I,ve also have friends who attended the highest schools in the land,who would agree with my posting

nothing to do with Thatcher

its all about whats happening on the ground and i am closer or have been closer than most if any of the posting is anything to go by

@ Basil B

She demanded a State funeral? To my knowledge it was Tony Blair that gifted it to her unless you know different?

There was no State Funeral. She was opposed to that idea. The funeral plan was made some years ago, and it was the incumbent Government's responsibiity to implement that plan.

Can I point out yet again that the State Funeral was awarded by Tony Blair when he was prime minister...........if you have a complaint about the cost direct it to him as he's still living.

No government can dictate to its successors. It was entirely up to the present government what should be done and how.

I think you are right, particularly since a decision to award a particular type of funeral is in contemplation of a death which had yet to occur. It is however noteworthy that the decision of the Blair government was consistent with the decision of the present government.

Out with acts of Statute no government can compel a successor government to do anything. It was the Labour Party that awarded the State Funeral to Thatcher, they suggested it to the palace and had to get the assent of the Queen.

There was no way that the award of the State Funeral was going to be rescinded after that negotiation. Take it up with the Labour Party, it was their suggestion. If you then think a majority coalition partner Conservative Party was then going to return to the palace and undo the arrangements then you are naive. State Funerals are not awarded lightly.

I hope tomorrow passes peacefully.

It was not a State Funeral.

Does anyone know who the dear leader obama sent to represent the government of the United States? Michele? Kerry? Clinton? Biden?

R.I.P. to a strong woman, a great leader & a steadfast friend of the United States.

Edited by snarky66

Failed in life? Wrong side of the social divide? You jump too quickly to stereotypical judgement. I'm not even going to try to respond to that sort of ignorant comment.

Have a try.

You were the one bleating about people on the wrong side of the social divide. I am simply making a call on it being a lame excuse for failure.

It was a beautiful funeral,.watched all of it on BBC. She was a great leader and deserved the send-off she received.

Well put, compared to past funerals Princess Diana and Queen Mother I thought it was pretty low key, and of course Baroness Thatcher did request that.

That hymn "I vow to thee my country" always gets me!. Royal Marine Band excellent as usual.

• Like 1

Failed in life? Wrong side of the social divide? You jump too quickly to stereotypical judgement. I'm not even going to try to respond to that sort of ignorant comment.

Have a try.

You were the one bleating about people on the wrong side of the social divide. I am simply making a call on it being a lame excuse for failure.

define failure and why you are at it define human being old chap

Have a try.

define failure and why you are at it define human being old chap

Has this become a quiz ?

• Like 1

Never agreed with her politics and whatnot and I was born too late to be affected directly by her...

However may the old lady rest in peace.

I disagree about you being born too late.

After her death, a reporter in London asked a prominent politician what he thought Maggie Thatcher's legacy was.

He replied "look around you".

• Like 1

Never agreed with her politics and whatnot and I was born too late to be affected directly by her...

I disagree about you being born too late.

After her death, a reporter in London asked a prominent politician what he thought Maggie Thatcher's legacy was.

He replied "look around you".

streets hardly seemed jam packed...

We are all still being affected by her for it is her free market monetarist I'm al right Jack every man for himself policies that still run the ponzi scheme called capitalism today.

• Like 1

I must say the funeral is some spectacle........HMQ has just arrived.

The old boys of the Chelsea Pensioners have done well, they've been on the steps for at 30 minutes.

_67055285_de27-7.jpg

From the BBC......

The Chelsea Pensioners line the steps of St Paul's as the coffin is carried in.

The BBC's Peter Hunt says Denis Thatcher attended church at the Royal Hospital, Chelsea, where he "enjoyed the short sermons" and where his ashes are interred.

Enjoyed the short sermons? I know that feeling sad.png I believe one of my pals is in attendance today, Patricia Gallen

pat-gallan.jpg

Patricia's Dad was my Church of Scotland minister, I didn't enjoy his sermons sad.pngsad.png

Patricia has risen to be the highest ranking black female officer in Britain, and is also a qualified barrister. She typifies what Thatcher was all about........Thatcher rose from being a mere grocers daughter to being the first female prime minister, and she was determined that talent should be given a chance to rise to the top.

Patricia typifies that.

If you are implying she was a feminist, you could not be more wrong.

• Like 1

You clearly know nothing of Gordon Brown's constituency.

Thankfully I can reassure you that it is impoverished....in a worse state than most places I have lived in the South East. I've lived all over England in the last 20 years....the south has nothing to whinge about.

Maybe you should be blaming Brown and his mate Blair,they caused more damage to the UK than Hitler ever managed to do.

And if you knew anything, you would be aware that "New" labour was based on Thatcher's policies as Tony Blair knew that the greed and avarice started by her was the only way to get voted in. She started it all and we are now paying the price.

• Like 2

I must say the funeral is some spectacle........HMQ has just arrived.

The old boys of the Chelsea Pensioners have done well, they've been on the steps for at 30 minutes.

_67055285_de27-7.jpg

From the BBC......

The Chelsea Pensioners line the steps of St Paul's as the coffin is carried in.

The BBC's Peter Hunt says Denis Thatcher attended church at the Royal Hospital, Chelsea, where he "enjoyed the short sermons" and where his ashes are interred.

Enjoyed the short sermons? I know that feeling sad.png I believe one of my pals is in attendance today, Patricia Gallen

pat-gallan.jpg

Patricia's Dad was my Church of Scotland minister, I didn't enjoy his sermons sad.pngsad.png

Patricia typifies that.

If you are implying she was a feminist, you could not be more wrong.

You are right, she wasn't a femimist, rather she was a meritocrat.

• Like 2

If Thatcher hadn't been voted in (3 times) you'd still be be buying your gas, electricity and communications services from the government. The only place you'd be able to get a mortgage would be at a Building Society. Rolls Royce would still be in government hands and it's unlikely it would have been allowed to become one of the major success stories in the UK.

If Thatcher hadn't been voted in (3 times) you'd still be be buying your gas, electricity and communications services from the government. The only place you'd be able to get a mortgage would be at a Building Society. Rolls Royce would still be in government hands and it's unlikely it would have been allowed to become one of the major success stories in the UK.

Absolutely right, she didn't believe in big government and there are plenty of examples of where big government has crippled an economy.

£10 Million for a funeral which equates to yearly salaries of 269 paramedics,272 secondary school teachers or 322 nurses for a year for someone who's worth £66 Million! #whatawasteofmoney

Or one painting by Jackson Pillock..... choose your targets wisely young man.

£10 Million for a funeral which equates to yearly salaries of 269 paramedics,272 secondary school teachers or 322 nurses for a year for someone who's worth £66 Million! #whatawasteofmoney

Or one painting by Jackson Pillock..... choose your targets wisely young man.

Don't really see the connection Young Man.