Water smells like bad eggs

NotWhatItWasnt

Hi Guys,

I'm over from the UK and staying with a friend close to nikhom khao bo kaeo in nakhon sawan province.

The water out of the taps smells of bad eggs, my friend says that it's ok to shower in this (You don't smell of bad eggs after showering in the water) and uses it himself to brush his teeth.

Is this water OK? Or is it just part of being in Thailand?

Thanks For looking at my post.

John

Where does the water come from ?

Is it a house with a direct connection or an apartment building ?

If it's an apartment then there could be issues inside the building with their pumps, storage tanks, etc.

Edit : Of courese you can have issues with tanks and pumps in a house too but I that's more under your direct control.

Edited by ukrules

Sulfur (hydrogen sulfide) smells like rotten eggs. I've heard of it in wells in Thailand. It's not harmful to humans, just obnoxious. There are filters to remove it.

An automatic chlorinator is best, as the chlorine will oxidize and neutralize the sulfur.

Oops sorry, typing while several others posted. :)

Edited by NeverSure

Where does the water come from ?

Is it a house with a direct connection or an apartment building ?

If it's an apartment then there could be issues inside the building with their pumps, storage tanks, etc.

Edit : Of courese you can have issues with tanks and pumps in a house too but I that's more under your direct control.

Its a house with a direct connection to the water supply and has been like this for at least 2 months

An alternative possibility ... do you by any chance have a hill nearby that has smoke coming out of the top of it?

Dante's Peak, a volcano-disaster thriller from Universal Studios, dramatizes some real-world concerns faced by communities located near active volcanoes. To separate fact from fiction, here are answers to some frequently asked questions about the movie and the USGS mission to reduce the risk from dangerous volcanoes.

Q: Can a town's water supply become contaminated when a volcano is restless?

A: Yes, but probably not as quickly as shown in the movie. If a town's water supply originates directly from a volcano's groundwater system or from a stream that has been covered with volcanic ash, the water could become contaminated with foul-smelling gases or fine ash and other sediment. Some volcanic gases such as sulfur dioxide dissolve in groundwater, making the water acidic. Sulfurous odors, however, are caused by hydrogen sulfide gas, which smells like rotten eggs.

The bad eggs smell will most likely be hydrogen sulfide. H2S is highly toxic to humans but not dangerous at very low levels. If you can smell it it is not dangerous. Most humans can detect the smell at extremely low levels - 0.0047 ppm. At 150ppm the sense of smell is incapacitated and you will not detect it. Above 500ppm is highly toxic. H2S is also highly flamable.

H2S in the water is not uncommon and usually not a cause for alarm. If the water source is a well, it is possible that shallow gas seepage is contaminating the well, in that case the risk of dangerous concentration accumulating is a slight possibility. Another source of H2S in water is decaying animal or plant matter in the source. Dead bird or rat in a water storage tank for example.

• Like 1

An alternative possibility ... do you by any chance have a hill nearby that has smoke coming out of the top of it?

Dante's Peak, a volcano-disaster thriller from Universal Studios, dramatizes some real-world concerns faced by communities located near active volcanoes. To separate fact from fiction, here are answers to some frequently asked questions about the movie and the USGS mission to reduce the risk from dangerous volcanoes.

Q: Can a town's water supply become contaminated when a volcano is restless?

A: Yes, but probably not as quickly as shown in the movie. If a town's water supply originates directly from a volcano's groundwater system or from a stream that has been covered with volcanic ash, the water could become contaminated with foul-smelling gases or fine ash and other sediment. Some volcanic gases such as sulfur dioxide dissolve in groundwater, making the water acidic. Sulfurous odors, however, are caused by hydrogen sulfide gas, which smells like rotten eggs.

There is no volcano, though if one becomes active I will be sure to inform you wink.png

The bad eggs smell will most likely be hydrogen sulfide. H2S is highly toxic to humans but not dangerous at very low levels. If you can smell it it is not dangerous. Most humans can detect the smell at extremely low levels - 0.0047 ppm. At 150ppm the sense of smell is incapacitated and you will not detect it. Above 500ppm is highly toxic. H2S is also highly flamable.

H2S in the water is not uncommon and usually not a cause for alarm. If the water source is a well, it is possible that shallow gas seepage is contaminating the well, in that case the risk of dangerous concentration accumulating is a slight possibility. Another source of H2S in water is decaying animal or plant matter in the source. Dead bird or rat in a water storage tank for example.

Thanks for that Canman (And also everyone else that has taken the time to read this and reply)

As I said staying with a friend and everyone here is OK, it was just for my own peace of mind.

I had heard of water smelling of Sulfer from natural springs, health Spa's etc but never from the water supply, although I should not be surprised after all this is Thaland!!

Back in the 80's, my water source was from a well with sulphurated water....took a while to get used to, but eventually did. Several very interesting things I learned from this was....when it is iced down, there is no sulphur taste or smell at all. It also keeps ticks from getting on you...and your dog, especially the dog. Where we lived was central TX and in a cedar break with a kazillion frikken ticks...everywhere. It does have some medincinal properties to it, as well. Good luck. pg

• Like 1

I'd investigate the water source. It would not be unknown for water to be aquired from a dubious source if it's just a small water company trying to save money.

Smell has gone as there has been heavy rain here, the house I'm staying in will probably be flooded tonight, if not this evening then definately tomorrow.

One problem goes, another one comes xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.CwSpBGGvqN.png

Thanks again to everyone that has read and replied to my post.

Regards,

John

Stink bomb's.

Remember them ?