Do You Live In A Farang Ghetto?......

theblether

Even in the so-called farang ghetto of Sukhumvit Rd in BKK, I always felt like I was an absolute minority. Although there are a lot of Westerners and Japanese living there, the area is still overwhelmingly Thai.

I guess living in Pattaya or around Khao San Rd might feel a little different?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please define "Farang Ghetto "for me...I never heard the term. I live in Jomtien, in a

nice, but not exclusive gated community, about 60% Farang and lots of Thais especially

on the weekends from BKK. its great, everyone appears to get along, only problem

in high season some of the drunk Russians tend to get a little loud, but security puts

an end to that as soon as you call.

When I'm there, there's only 3 of us. Me, Henry from Holland and Giere the Norwegian pig. I'm not a Giere fan, he invites you round and never offers a drink. I hate that, it's very rude. I don't go round there much anymore. Norwegian people are lovely, but Giere isn't. Henrys a great neighbour, great guy to know.The locals call the village the falang village, so maybe they would say yes it is a falang ghetto, but I think since there's just 3 of us, must mean theres not many westerners around and not a falang ghetto.

Even in Bangkok there’s plenty of areas where you won’t see many foreigners.

I got a shoe box up in Din Daeng and it’s like Ghetto Central, Thai that is and it’s rarely that I see any other foreigners in the immediate neighborhood while 15 minutes away they’re like everywhere.

You happen to know a Thai girl that lives there named Chonticha Emgosa?

I am the only Farang who lives in my village, the only other Farang died a few weeks ago, he was a drunk who lost all his friends. I do have Farang friends in the surrounding villages and the city about 60 Kilos away who I see regularly. I have two special Farang friends who are both from the UK and live nearby, have known them for years and would trust them with my life.

• Like 1

When I'm there, there's only 3 of us. Me, Henry from Holland and Giere the Norwegian pig. I'm not a Giere fan, he invites you round and never offers a drink. I hate that, it's very rude. I don't go round there much anymore. Norwegian people are lovely, but Giere isn't. Henrys a great neighbour, great guy to know.The locals call the village the falang village, so maybe they would say yes it is a falang ghetto, but I think since there's just 3 of us, must mean theres not many westerners around and not a falang ghetto.

Even in Bangkok there’s plenty of areas where you won’t see many foreigners.

I got a shoe box up in Din Daeng and it’s like Ghetto Central, Thai that is and it’s rarely that I see any other foreigners in the immediate neighborhood while 15 minutes away they’re like everywhere.

I think using the term ghetto is a bit strong and a little insulting. The term is widely understood to mean 'slum'.

Same here meom, In my immediate area of outer suburban Bangkok, apart from farang & indian middle managers with ID cards dangling around their necks, doing training courses at my local tesco training centre, I can go weeks, even months without seeing another white man. Even a trip to my local large, busy shopping mall often fails to reveal any, or very, very few.

Three is two too many.
I'd say finding a place in Thailand where your the only non Thai would be rare. Would you agree?

I'm the only non Thai in my village, and I would be happy if any more came provided they were not drunks, social drinker OK, but not drunks.

• Like 2

Not a Ferang in sight! (most of the year) 20 minutes drive to the town.

Surrounded by rice fields and mountains on the outskirts of little farming village, suits me just fine.

Sounds nice, I am surrounded by rivers, rice fields and trees, but no mountains. Central Thailand where I live is all flat country.

Everyone has different experiences.

I live at the Farm when I stay in Thailand.

It's a Farm not that far from the boundaries of Bangkok ... a 200 Baht Taxi to the end of the BTS.

Almost never would you you see a Westerner round these parts.

Given, at the Large TESCO one Saturday I saw 4 ... but that was really rare.

Most week days ... just me and the Thais ... rolleyes.gif ... we're both OK with that.

• Like 1

Three is two too many.
I'd say finding a place in Thailand where your the only non Thai would be rare. Would you agree?

True, especially since half of the people in Thailand claim to be Chinese of some sort...

Yes, not offering drinks is quite rude!

Yes, I suppose it is, but what if you are not a drinker? I'm not, and only occasionally does any Farang stop by my house. When I want a conversation I nearly always have to go to their place, but I am always made welcome.

• Like 1

I got a shoe box up in Din Daeng and its like Ghetto Central, Thai that is and its rarely that I see any other foreigners in the immediate neighborhood while 15 minutes away theyre like everywhere.

That's quite ironic, because the amount of non-Thai people living in Din Daeng is quite striking in comparison to elsewhere in Bangkok. But then again, to tell the difference between Thai and other people from South-East Asia and South Asia is a little harder.

I live in Din Daeng too and I don't fully agree with your comment. In my view a good 90-95% of people living here are Thais. In my immediate area there are 2 black african families, around 3 Sikhs I saw very often (who probably hold thai nationality btw), somewhere around 20 farangs widely dispersed around the apartments in the area (many Russians recently) and a very few Burmese I see occasionally. For me a farang ghetto is the like of Sukhumvit, Pattaya or Chiang mai town. Here I think there is a very small concentration of farangs, and most of them are just living here temporarily, there are many of them whom you see them for some weeks and then just disappear.

The problem I ''had'' when farangs were around were their ladies, yes their ladies. Talking crap, usually about how rich they are, or why haven't you got this or that, or who they have on the side w00t.gif . My Mrs. tells me the stories sad.png . The trying to impress thing. Sooooooooo, don't see many now, only a few with no ''I am better than you'' issues. thumbsup.gif

Humm ... I'm always telling everyone how poor I am ... rolleyes.gif

Mai me tung ...

Makes for an easy life for me.

• Like 2

Plenty of farang in my apartment block and the surrounding area but still predominately Thai's who live here. Suits me fine.

You couldn't pay me to live in some remote Esarn town,

Same here.

There is no way I'd want to move into the countryside. I've lived my whole life in cities and love the convenience and energy of city life.

I'd actually like there to be more English speaking expats in Bangkok. Make BKK more like HK and it would be awesome!

Three is two too many.

Just me in our small village outside Lampang city.clap2.gif

I've lived near Nakhon Sawan for more than 10 years. When I first came there were only a handful of farang. Now there are many, but not too many. The city is the second largest in the north. The province is booming, with massive housing, infrastructure, and new business coming in the last 3 years. Don't know why, but Its now a great place to live and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Its still very rural but you can now get just about anything without having to go to BKK or elsewhere. There is great entertainment if you want that, and the food according to our visitors over the years, is the best in the country. Its also very cheap to live here by comparison to BKK.

• Like 1

Maybe Giere thinks the same of you, you never bring anything.A slab is the key to any blokes house.

I've lived near Nakhon Sawan for more than 10 years. When I first came there were only a handful of farang. Now there are many, but not too many. The city is the second largest in the north. The province is booming, with massive housing, infrastructure, and new business coming in the last 3 years. Don't know why, but Its now a great place to live and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Its still very rural but you can now get just about anything without having to go to BKK or elsewhere. There is great entertainment if you want that, and the food according to our visitors over the years, is the best in the country. Its also very cheap to live here by comparison to BKK.

I could almost mirror your comments. I have lived about 160km to the north of you in Phitsanulok for the last 14 years and in that time it has never stopped growing. There is quite a large ex-pat presence here but you rarely see them in any sort of numbers, majority of them disappearing when the lights come on.

There are about half a dozen foreigners living on the moo ban where we are that keep in touch with BBQs & parties which for me is just about right.

Rural but not quite in-the-sticks................thumbsup.gif

Yes, I do live in a farang ghetto, and thank god!

At least there is bread, milk and cheese available.

I just need to get them to stock Marmite and I will be in heaven on earth.

you can get canned spaghetti?

And a little place in the back streets where you can buy cheese and onion crisps and Watney's Red Barrel....?

smile.png

Personally I have found that people who is, so to say, braging about being alone with thai, and looking down on the company of fellow falangs, they are in many cases socially

handicaped people. And they were also socially handicaped in their own homecountry.

For me a nice mixture with falangs that I like to socialize with, is the absolutely best.....

Glegolo

Personally I have found that people who is, so to say, braging about being alone with thai, and looking down on the company of fellow falangs, they are in many cases socially

handicaped people. And they were also socially handicaped in their own homecountry.

For me a nice mixture with falangs that I like to socialize with, is the absolutely best.....

Glegolo

You sound like all farangs come from heaven..................sad.png ......................in your experience. coffee1.gif

I live in a Thai ghetto!

I am the only farang in a Thai farming village in Northeastern Thailand.

The nearest farang is a few km away in another slightly larger all Thai village.

There are maybe 6 of us within a 30 km circle, maybe!

Like anyplace, it's good and it's bad.

If you are going to be poor, might as well do it with the poor people..they know how to do it well!

Life is good...and bad. lol

• Like 2

Three is two too many.

True, especially since half of the people in Thailand claim to be Chinese of some sort...

Yes, not offering drinks is quite rude!

Yes I think not offering your neighbour(about 10 houses) a drink is rude considering I gave him all the help I could for his wedding in the village. He invites you round, grabs himself a beer, sits his fat bum down, and that's that! Of course I bring my own, and cause I'm falang I'm rich and I own boon rawd brewery(not) but that's not the point. Even if my guests bring their own I offer them first, and if they say that's ok we have our own, I get them glasses, ice, food whatever, it's only courtesy isn't it? Meh, no big deal, up to him.

I suppose my point is even in the remote Thai village, just the 3 of us white guy circumstances, doesn't mean jack to some. It kind of does to me.

• Like 2