Speed cameras coming to Phuket roads

Lite Beer

As in many countries these fixed cameras locations are soon known by the locals at least and become less effective at revenue raising.

The covert ,mobile ones are the ones that can trap the most people

Some counties have 10 times more camera locations than cameras. The expensive camera equipment is moved from one location to another every now and then. This effectively slows down the traffic on every location where a camera could be.

This already works in many areas through the country, I had fines mailed to me in Bangkok years ago. Installing cameras in Phuket was only a matter of time.

I got a 400 baht souvenir in the mail with a picture of me in my car in Korat about 2 years ago. Couldn't argue, as I always drive 110 in a 90 zone.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Will they exempt the mini buses for a small back hander?

No doubt these cameras will work/not work as required. Much the same as all the Patong street cameras,

Agree. And even if they would work there is no way the speeding ticket will reach the offender. And even if it were to reach the offender there is no way he would pay.

Yes - I have to agree that for many reasons there is not much chance any ticket could stand a chance of being delivered to the driver or even the owner. Often the case the buyers of second hand vehicles don't bother re-registering to save paying the transfer tax. And how many folks bother advising of change of address. Also, who is liable for the fine - driver or owner. Lot of issues to be sorted out before fines can be collected.

Absolutely, In my country we are allowed to see the picture. If it is obscure you can dispute it and 9/10 times they withdraw the fine. Even if you are the owner / driver.

Some serious hurdles along the way.

Having said that I would be very happy for the cameras to come. Speed is a real killer.