What Is It With Hardley Riders?

H1w4yR1da

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did someone mention how bad Harleys perform in the handling department? I think that was mentioned several times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99KKx7cB-Ok

now try that in the real world and not in a micky mouse corner and see what happens .

that moron still trying to look cool as sh,,te after he crashed, soooo funny

It is not so difficult to find hundreds of dumb sportbike rider crashes on YouTube.

Did someone mention how bad Harleys perform in the handling department? I think that was mentioned several times.

now try that in the real world and not in a micky mouse corner and see what happens .

It is not so difficult to find hundreds of dumb sportbike rider crashes on YouTube.

sure, but in this video you can see (and hear) why a harley like that will never be able to corner fast. just not enough ground clearance.

You wanted us all to believe with your video that a harley can corner so i showed the proof that that is not the case in the real world.

sure, but in this video you can see (and hear) why a harley like that will never be able to corner fast. just not enough ground clearance.

You wanted us all to believe with your video that a harley can corner so i showed the proof that that is not the case in the real world.

There is more to the enjoyment of a motorbike than just being the fastest 0-60 or fastest going around a corner.

• Like 2

There is more to the enjoyment of a motorbike than just being the fastest 0-60 or fastest going around a corner.

dude, chillout. its you who came up with that video of the copper riding a harley. Now that may work under controlled conditions and with a rider that has GREAT skills but not in the real world. get it now ?

I confess to having ridden a Hardley once. The owner was an acquaintance in a Ulysses motorbike club, a club for over 40's. Most of the club rode sportsbikes (and knew what the throttle was for). This guy insisted that his Sportster was as good as a any superbike on tight twisties and begged me to swap with him for a 10klm section of gorge riding to see what I thought.

He went through first and waited for me. I rode his Sportster at full revs all the way and used the gears as you would on a sportsbike (not easy on a Harley). According to others waiting with him, when he heard me ringing the neck of his bike he said (and the guy had a bad stutter), "J J J J Jeez, there's n n n n no f f f f f f f urkin need to ride it like that!.

Handed it over to him, footpegs on both sides were a little short, exhaust stunk like it had a dead fish strapped to it, and the engine had that "overheated" smell. Not quite cooked, but reasonably well done.

We swapped back to our own bikes and carried on. Three klm's later his bike died - seized. I felt slight remorse, but then I thought nuh, it's the designers fault, not mine. I found out later that the cheapskate was using 30 weight oil because the bike had a tendency to burn oil and he thought the heavier the oil the better. Numnuts!

That's the first and only time I've ridden one, and don't really feel the need to repeat it. It was a scary ride and everything about them is wrong - brakes (lack of), handling - absolutely none, acceleration - you nearly fall of backwards from lack of it, transmission - well, it has a transmission box but it's really just for show.

In reality the Harley uses 20W50. 50 being the governing weight. If he was using 30W his oil was way too light. Harley oil is outrageously priced in Thailand. Like 400 Baht per qt. There are alternatives on the Thai market for around 1/3 the price.

Rode to Bang Saen for lunch Sunday. On the way there on Sukhumvit Rd, I pulled up at some lights where 5 or 6 Hardleys were already waiting. All on ultra-noisy bikes and wearing Village People attire. Nodded hello to them (as I do to all big bike riders) and got totally blanked. Okay, whatever.

On the way back to Bangkok, on that road which connects the Bang Saen area to the no.7 Chonburi bypass, we come up on a dozen or so Hardleys riding slowly (about 70kph) covering ALL 3 lanes. No way to pass. I pull up behind one in the fast lane and give a little toot on the horn for him to move over. No acknowlegement. Wait for a gap, and fly pass. Okay, whatever.

Later on the BangNa-Trat, riding down the outside lane at a fair rate of knots, again come up on a bunch of Hardleys, this time all riding slowly in formation. Again, blocking the fast lane.

Overtake or rather undertake and give a few signals that they should move over to the slow lane and let other pass. I think all 3 groups were Thais.

To any Hardley riders out there in internet land, please stay in the goddamn slow lane where you belong and let people on proper bikes pass.

Wouldn't you be in crabby form if you had to ride a Harley any distance. Allegedly they usually have a truck following behind, stopping every few km's for the guy to get out an pick up the bits that rattle loose and fall on the highway.

Funny for those that think it's true, I suppose.

• Like 1

Rode to Bang Saen for lunch Sunday. On the way there on Sukhumvit Rd, I pulled up at some lights where 5 or 6 Hardleys were already waiting. All on ultra-noisy bikes and wearing Village People attire. Nodded hello to them (as I do to all big bike riders) and got totally blanked. Okay, whatever.

On the way back to Bangkok, on that road which connects the Bang Saen area to the no.7 Chonburi bypass, we come up on a dozen or so Hardleys riding slowly (about 70kph) covering ALL 3 lanes. No way to pass. I pull up behind one in the fast lane and give a little toot on the horn for him to move over. No acknowlegement. Wait for a gap, and fly pass. Okay, whatever.

Later on the BangNa-Trat, riding down the outside lane at a fair rate of knots, again come up on a bunch of Hardleys, this time all riding slowly in formation. Again, blocking the fast lane.

Overtake or rather undertake and give a few signals that they should move over to the slow lane and let other pass. I think all 3 groups were Thais.

To any Hardley riders out there in internet land, please stay in the goddamn slow lane where you belong and let people on proper bikes pass.

Wouldn't you be in crabby form if you had to ride a Harley any distance. Allegedly they usually have a truck following behind, stopping every few km's for the guy to get out an pick up the bits that rattle loose and fall on the highway.

Funny for those that think it's true, I suppose.

Yep, load of rolox. coffee1.gif

Some folks here go green with envy. Please more comments! I like them!

You can also drop off your comments directly into the letterbox. But she now is located in Santa Clara, CA. You will find her, if you are not completely deaf.

Haha dont worry I wont be looking !

Good thing with the letterbox is the postman on his bicycle can always keep up

They call H.D in america mobile homes

That is absolutely true. It is a mobile home. The benzine for the coleman cooker comes from the tank, the reading light in the tent is being supplied by the huge battery, right behind the letterbox. Besides, when riding, the generator keeps the yoghurt and the beer cool inside that 12V Cooler, located in the left saddlebag. Believe me, a mobile home, either when crossing the U.S. or on the Northwestern Highway of Australia, is absolutely essential on those long trips. This mobile home will save your dough for gas, and you do not have to sleep in a stupid motel, instead you can enjoy spending your night in the woods, or on the Eighty Mile Beach, just South of Broome, if you like. Nevertheless, with that square type swinging arm, you still be able to bend your mobile home down to the foot pegs, 45 degrees is all you can do on either side (Do you do more?). So you are right, the Harley (I do not know about the new ones though) is the best mobile home you could buy. As you might imagine, I have no reservations against postmen. I will wait for them.

Ever check out a Honda Gold Wing?

I agree with a lot of the replies, they look like a nice bike but I'll never own one. I find other brands and models to be better spec'd and a lot cheaper to buy (And maintain).

As with most genuine bikers I agree with the axiom "Its not what you ride, but that you do ride" Thats what makes a true rider/biker. A friend of mine (Fellow kiwi) has ridden all around Thailand and clocked up many kms on a Keeway Superlight 200! Not something Id like to do but hey... good on him for endurance.

Each to their own, but I have to agree about noisy obnoxious aholes that modify their bikes to make them louder. Whats the point? Surely they know that they just piss off the majority of people....if thats their aim well all I can say is that your time will come. Someone some where will repay your inconsiderate behaviour which will hopefully change your outlook and style of riding.

Loud does not always mean you are fast.

ok time to get on my bike... nice day out rolleyes.gif

Loud is not to sound fast. It is to keep the morons in 'cages', away.

The OP obviously doesn't know a real bike from a scooter. I cannot be sure, but me thinks he is referring to Harley Davidson motorcycles. As a Harley Road King owner myself, I can say this, if you've never owned one, and ridden it for years, then you don't qualify to comment since you have no idea what you are talking about. Additionally, to all non Harley riders, please stay off the road so we can cruise by at our own power pace. We don't need to go fast, we just want to enjoy the ride on our beautiful bikes! There is only one thing better than riding a Harley......

yeah a harley king is speaking.

If you guys do not clog the roads, i will not give a <deleted>.k to you guys. You can do your power! ride on formations of two on slow lane if you want, please do not occupy the fast lane, that is for fast vehicles/bikes not for hot iron!

If you guys be a little considerate to the other riders like by not blocking the entrance of a bike show etc to others and allow only Harley riders to pass, i will be grateful too as you guys are not special just because you ride harleys.

Dont get me wrong, I have no problems with a Harley, my granddad had a 1947 harley and he was cruising with it 1000s of kms and i appreciate the freedom Harley offered to millions. But that was many years ago and still going on with the design and tech of 1910s and 1920s does not make any sense to me as someone believing on human, science, art and technological development. Yep, you might come to me reasoning nostalgia - the only offering make sense to me on a Harley - which i might accept but still it does not give you the right to piss people off - and riders below 40 has no time and reason for nostalgia.

I have problems with fake Harley attitude. Again, riding a harley does not make you special as a honda click 125 or a cbr150 outperform your bike man nowadaysxbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ic.zYprVTCWT1.web alt=biggrin.png width=20 height=20> if you want to see real Harley attitude, please check the movie Easy Rider! They are real stuff!

I think all the bikes are supposed to stay in the left lane, the one where the mopeds ride on the very left.

Thats where they all belong anyway.

My Chum has two Harleys in LOS, both works of art. thumbsup.gif

is there official service in bkk, pattaya or CM for harleys? or you need to go to local hanymen who do now know shit about HD?

There is a place in Pattaya the does nothing but Harley's. Haven't needed them too much other than a headlight bulb and a battery but they seem to be a good outfit. Up on Big Budda Hill. Probably there are others.

BKK has the only dealer in Thailand. Phuket has a Harley shop. and Udon. Don't know about CM

Until I got my own place to work on my bike, I had locals changing the oil and filter. I found they will actually listen to you if you tell them what to do. I guess because they never worked on one or probably had never seen one up close.

My Chum has two Harleys in LOS, both works of art. Posted Image

is there official service in bkk, pattaya or CM for harleys? or you need to go to local hanymen who do now know shit about HD?

There is a place in Pattaya the does nothing but Harley's. Haven't needed them too much other than a headlight bulb and a battery but they seem to be a good outfit. Up on Big Budda Hill. Probably there are others.

BKK has the only dealer in Thailand. Phuket has a Harley shop. and Udon. Don't know about CM

Until I got my own place to work on my bike, I had locals changing the oil and filter. I found they will actually listen to you if you tell them what to do. I guess because they never worked on one or probably had never seen one up close.

the place you are on about is hotrod pattaya , they build some post-70166-13842648235041_thumb.jpg cool customs

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 2

That rider was just plain dumb. You can hear stuff scraping which is what caused the accident.....plus he was going to fast for the corner so even without the scraping bits he probABLY would have run off the road.

Wasn't the bikes fault, he was just pushing to hard.

My Chum has two Harleys in LOS, both works of art. thumbsup.gif

"Until I got my own place to work on my bike, I had locals changing the oil and filter. I found they will actually listen to you if you tell them what to do. I guess because they never worked on one or probably had never seen one up close."

The local spanner twirler probably feels good about having a Harley owner come to his humble abode/work area to have service work done on such an esteemed make. At the end of the day, over a beer or 20 he can tell the same story over and over to a captive audience of friend's and neighbours.

I think all the bikes are supposed to stay in the left lane, the one where the mopeds ride on the very left.

There is no law in Thailand that says motorcycles must ride in the left lane. There is the general rule of the road that says traffic in Thailand drives on the left except when passing.

When I used to ride in a group one of the guys practised law!

There is no law in Thailand that says motorcycles must ride in the left lane. There is the general rule of the road that says traffic in Thailand drives on the left except when passing.

So he was still only practicing....perhaps he had not learnt that bit yet.

How old are you ? 10!

Shall I repeat? There is no law that says motorcycles MUST ride on the left.

If you believe there is please quote the statute number!

• Like 1

look what happens after 4:07....... nuff said

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHEeMkrMOtE

To me HDs look as though they started off with good intentions, building a long wheelbase cruiser with soggy suspension, fine, but then the whole thing got out of hand and they really need at least two more wheels.

A bit like the old American cars, so much chrome junk hung on the sides they need two more wheels too. The old Caddies would have worked a lot better if they were 6 wheelers, or perhaps a half track.

These are motorcycles is suppose, "but not as we know it."

I agree with a lot of the replies, they look like a nice bike but I'll never own one. I find other brands and models to be better spec'd and a lot cheaper to buy (And maintain).

As with most genuine bikers I agree with the axiom "Its not what you ride, but that you do ride" Thats what makes a true rider/biker. A friend of mine (Fellow kiwi) has ridden all around Thailand and clocked up many kms on a Keeway Superlight 200! Not something Id like to do but hey... good on him for endurance.

Each to their own, but I have to agree about noisy obnoxious aholes that modify their bikes to make them louder. Whats the point? Surely they know that they just piss off the majority of people....if thats their aim well all I can say is that your time will come. Someone some where will repay your inconsiderate behaviour which will hopefully change your outlook and style of riding.

Loud does not always mean you are fast.

ok time to get on my bike... nice day out rolleyes.gif

Loud is not to sound fast. It is to keep the morons in 'cages', away.

The rest of us use our horns. What's wrong with the horns on the Harleys?

Loud is annoying, irritating and mostly inconsiderate, especially in residential areas.

How old are you ? 10!

Shall I repeat? There is no law that says motorcycles MUST ride on the left.

If you believe there is please quote the statute number!

Yes there is a law. We had a whole thread about this not long ago:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/656698-staying-left-for-bikes-again/

But if you read the law it applies to all slow moving vehicles and says SHOULD keep to the kerbside not MUST keep to the kerbside. But of course that could be the translation.

Section 35

'The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, MOTORCYCLE, vehicle of low speed or travelling at lower speed than those of other vehicles moving in the same direction should keep to the kerbside of the roadway or as close as possible.

If such a roadway is divided in to two or more traffic lanes in the same direction or has a bus lane specifically arranged on the left hand side, the driver shall drive the vehicle in the outermost left hand side lane or as close to the bus lane, as the case may be.'

There is no law specific to motorcycles that says we MUST ride in the left lane. It doesn't help the cause if one gets stopped because of course it would never get to court but...

We also have to realize how much of the drug traffic is transported by small time motorbike guys.

But semantics doesn't get rid of the inconvenience.

But if you read the law it applies to all slow moving vehicles and says SHOULD keep to the kerbside not MUST keep to the kerbside. But of course that could be the translation.

Section 35

'The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, MOTORCYCLE, vehicle of low speed or travelling at lower speed than those of other vehicles moving in the same direction should keep to the kerbside of the roadway or as close as possible.

If such a roadway is divided in to two or more traffic lanes in the same direction or has a bus lane specifically arranged on the left hand side, the driver shall drive the vehicle in the outermost left hand side lane or as close to the bus lane, as the case may be.'

There is no law specific to motorcycles that says we MUST ride in the left lane. It doesn't help the cause if one gets stopped because of course it would never get to court but...

We also have to realize how much of the drug traffic is transported by small time motorbike guys.

But semantics doesn't get rid of the inconvenience.

You should read the whole thread. Its not ALL vehicles. Everything discussed there. No need to repeat it here. Feel free to post your own translation there :)