Chamlong, Sondhi urge Thais to reject ICJ verdict

webfact

Chamlong, Sondhi urge Thais to reject ICJ verdict
Wattana Khamchu,
Budsarakham Sinlapalavan
The Nation

30219325-01_big.gif

Plan to protest against Preah Vihear ruling; call for national reform

BANGKOK: -- Former People's Alliance for Democracy leaders Chamlong Srimuang and Sondhi Limthongkul yesterday called on Thais to reject the jurisdiction of the International Court of Justice in the Preah Vihear land dispute between Thailand and Cambodia.

Speaking at a press conference before the court announced its verdict yesterday, Chamlong said he would play a leading role in a planned rally by the People's Army to Overthrow the Thaksin Regime that would be held to protest against the ICJ ruling, no matter which way it went.

He said that for tactical reasons, Sondhi would not join the rally, but the media outlets under his Manager Group would fully support the rally.

Chamlong also called for a national reform effort to end the country's political problems. "We hope for a national reform that will cover all aspects. It should end all problems and lead to a sustainable solution," he said.

Under his leadership, the People's Army to Overthrow the Thaksin Regime will also campaign against the proposed amendment of Article 190 of the Constitution, Chamlong said.

He added that the amendment would allow the government to sign contracts with foreign countries without seeking prior approval from Parliament. "I've asked Sondhi not to join the fight now, but to wait and become my substitute later," Chamlong said. "If anything happens to me, Sondhi will become the last arrow against the government."

Sondhi told the press that a House dissolution would not be a sustainable solution, adding that Thailand should not be run by politicians for a few years.

The People's Army yesterday marched to the Defence Ministry, Army headquarters and the United Nations headquarters to submit letters disputing the ICJ's jurisdiction in the Preah Vihear case.

The group has been protesting at Phan Fa Lilat Bridge, calling for the ouster of the government. Meanwhile, Utai Yodmanee, leader of the Network of Students and People for Reform of Thailand (STR) - another anti-government group - said members would gather to protest against the government at the Makkhawan Bridge.

Another rally, led by the Democrats, is ongoing at Democracy Monument.

The Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order has put in place 61 companies of security personnel to maintain order in case protests intensify. Pol Maj-General Piya Uthayo, spokesman for the Peacekeeping Operations Centre, told the media there were 7,900 protesters at Democracy Monument, 2,500 at the Makkhawan Bridge and 4,500 to 5,000 at Silom, Asoke, Ratchada-phisek and Saphan Khwai. The latter groups were scheduled to join the protesters at Democracy Monument yesterday evening. They were mobilised via social media.

The protest group at Silom yesterday announced its goal of forcing the Shinawatra family out of Thailand, saying a proposed amendment of the Constitution's Article 190 would allow the family's businesses to benefit from exploiting natural resources in the Gulf of Thailand with Cambodia and a petroleum company.

Thaksin's legal adviser Noppadon Pattama, however, posted on Facebook yesterday a denial that Thaksin had an interest in the energy business.

The Peacekeeping Operations Centre has called on security officials to closely monitor the situation, following talks that the protests might escalate and even involve weapons. Security officials have been deployed to protect important locations such as Government House, the Foreign Ministry and the Cambodian Embassy.

The royalist Rak Raj Group yesterday called on the National Human Rights Commission to look into the enforcement of the Internal Security Act. The group said the government's invoking of the ISA to control anti-amnesty protesters was not justified.

It also voiced suspicion that the government had backed Sunday's red-shirt rally organised to counter the amnesty opponents.

The NHRC should also check if the government violated protesters' right to peaceful assembly as enshrined in the charter, the group said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-12

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thaksin's legal adviser Noppadon Pattama, however, posted on Facebook yesterday a denial that Thaksin had an interest in the energy business.

Well, there you have it. We can all be reassured that Noppadon wouldn't lie to us, and that Thaksin is a saint.

• Like 2

Shame on these 2 arse#%% ,

First they did asked a fair trial to U.N. , they did get their chance to explain their case.

They lose, as everyone know this land dont belong to them!

And now what?!! These arsehol_e want to reject the verdict...

Fair trial? Thailand messed it up the last 50 years.

Thailand has a few good points and reason to win, if it would be 1955.

Now accept the loose and forget the few stones and focus on removing the Shinawatra clan.

• Like 2

These 2 numpties, rather like Thaksin and his chumps, have their heads firmly buried in 2006 with no hope of escape

Thailand needs an eminent psychologist to define this new form of dementia and incarcerate the lot of them in a place where they are unable to harm themselves.

• Like 1

Yu'p men like this and his ideas,

they don't like the international umpires ruling,

they'd like to run the country themselves and not having to answer to parliament or the people of Thailand for a few years,

they want to overthrow the democratically elected government and therefor throw out the rights of the people that elected the government,

and people are having a cry about Thaksin and wanting things his way,

You really want to live here if this guy or one of his mate's get a crack at imposing his way on Thailand???

• Like 1

Reject the jurisdiction of ICJ after the verdict makes you throw your tantrum, not before the case was submitted to the ICJ, because at least there was a chance that they might hand down a verdict that doesn't make you throw a tantrum, one that would make ICJ's jurisdiction perfectly acceptable.

So you don't like them? I don't get it. Most of the posters here want to overthrow an elected government but these guys are going too far, right?

The current protests are generally about the amnesty, and having the government dissolve parliament so that the amnesty bills will be completely dead.

These two want to reject an international courts ruling over a couple of square kms of land, and to remove politicians from government for a couple of years.

I think the two issues are a little bit different myself.

Well I think it is the same logic. We don't like the outcome so we are going to ignore it. Of course, this time they are not facing poor isaan peasants so they won't win.

So you don't like them? I don't get it. Most of the posters here want to overthrow an elected government but these guys are going too far, right?

The current protests are generally about the amnesty, and having the government dissolve parliament so that the amnesty bills will be completely dead.

These two want to reject an international courts ruling over a couple of square kms of land, and to remove politicians from government for a couple of years.

I think the two issues are a little bit different myself.

Well I think it is the same logic. We don't like the outcome so we are going to ignore it. Of course, this time they are not facing poor isaan peasants so they won't win.

One group is disagreeing with THEIR government's decisions.

One group is disagreeing with an International court's decisions.

I don't see it as the same logic.

Well, there you have it. We can all be reassured that Noppadon wouldn't lie to us, and that Thaksin is a saint.

Meanwhile in related news.....Thaksin's gardner found out today he was the beneficiary of a gift from a totally unknown anonymous benefactor who had given him a 99% share holding in an energy company due to start exploration drilling in the Gulf of Thailand. Asked for his comments, Somchai could only reply "I would just like to say that there is no truth in the rumour that Thaksin had anything to do with me acquiring a 99% shareholding in a company that used to be his own".

• Like 2

Yu'p men like this and his ideas,

they don't like the international umpires ruling,

they'd like to run the country themselves and not having to answer to parliament or the people of Thailand for a few years,

they want to overthrow the democratically elected government and therefor throw out the rights of the people that elected the government,

and people are having a cry about Thaksin and wanting things his way,

You really want to live here if this guy or one of his mate's get a crack at imposing his way on Thailand???

It is possible to be opposed to the government and these two guys at the same time.

None of them pay my bills.

• Like 1

I usually side with the Yellows. But their two leaders bellyaching about the PV temple has lessened my care for the Yellows. Boot out the two archaic-minded dummies, and get some leaders in there who can think clearly.

My sentiments as well, it's a shame they don't put what ever effort they can muster into bringing the fugitive run government to it's knees, eradicate the corrupt, self serving brown-nosing politicians and endeavour to turn Thailand into a country of opportunity for all its people, not just the few.

The plot of land sitting on the Thai/Cambodian border isn't worth a rats ar_se as far as sorting out the endemic problems this country is suffering.

However, forgoing the above, there could well be a method in their madness, turn the people in that part of Thailand against the government by showing how inept they (the government) are and use this as leverage in its removal.

Never underestimate us old farts - we have been around for a long while and have seen it all.

• Like 1

Thailand a law unto its self,they never bothered when first ruling in

1967 ?, went against them ,now its convenient for both sides to

push forward their Nationalistic rants ,they have got to realize (ICJ)

cannot be bought with stuffed cake boxes,and they don't like it .

regards Worgeordie

i dont seem to understand why france having colonized cambodia and participated in mapping of the region, were the ones that read the verdict.

doesnt seem very unbiased to me.

Because France is neither Thailand nor Cambodia -

both independent sovereign states- therefore France is neutral in this matter, hope that clears things a little....

• Like 1