Abhisit is not worried of party’s dissolution

webfact

Abhisit is not worried of party’s dissolution

abhisit-2-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Democrat party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva is not concerned that his party may be dissolved because of its active role in the protests aimed at toppling the Thaksin regime.

After a meeting the press following the party’s meeting, Mr Abhisit joined the whistle-blowing protest at Asoke intersection and the marched along with hundreds of protesters to the US Embassy to explain to the US government about the reasons for the anti-government protests.

He defended that the party’s decision to join the protests was not intended to seize the power from the government as the party has always followed the constitutional mechanism.

The Democrat party leader said that the party’s activities would run parallel to those of the other groups of protesters without any fixed forms.

Regarding protest leader Suthep Thuagsuban, he said the party would not abandon him and would give moral support to him especially for his plan to hold mass protest on today and tomorrow.

Even if Mr Suthep was arrested, the protests will go on because the people had already been waken up to the evils of Thaksin regime, thanks to Suthep

As for the ongoing protests, Abhisit explained that the protests could not stop now otherwise the protesters would be victimized by the government.

He treated the conflict between Suthep and Democrat deputy leader Korn Chatikavanich as a minor issue which could be thrashed out later on.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/abhisit-worried-partys-dissolution/

-- Thai PBS 2013-11-30

I wonder is the "protesters" have any idea that this whole farce is not designed to oust the current government but simply to put Suthep and Abhisit back in power where they will care even less about the guy in the street than the Phue Thai government do.

Elections are not an option for the Suthep Dem Party, they would not win. Only chance is another coup and I don't think the army are up for that, not right now!

I think that you have got a really big surprise coming your way.

• Like 2

Abhisit is like a turkey voting for christmas. One of the aims of the protesters is to get rid of the politicians according to Suthep yet Abhisit is the leader of Thailands oldest political party.

This political juggernaut seems just to go on and on, the dissolution of the democrats is cause for worry , the PTP will ride rough shod over the country , it will be a dictatorship within six months, unless of course another party comes along with a different name. Now that's been done before.coffee1.gif

This political juggernaut  seems just to go on and on, the dissolution of the democrats is cause for worry , the PTP will ride rough shod over the country , it will be a dictatorship within six months, unless of course another party comes along with a different name. Now that's been done before.Posted Image

"PTP will run rough shod over the country"?where you been?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I wonder is the "protesters" have any idea that this whole farce is not designed to oust the current government but simply to put Suthep and Abhisit back in power where they will care even less about the guy in the street than the Phue Thai government do.

Elections are not an option for the Suthep Dem Party, they would not win. Only chance is another coup and I don't think the army are up for that, not right now!

Wishful thinking or have simply been brain washed. If Ms Yingluck was a certain as you appear to be then she would have simply disolved parliment and called for fresh elections to put an end to the protest but she did not as she unlike your good self is not so certain on the result . The PTP have lost a considerable amount of support based on their abysmal management which is a mater of public record. Several issues of malfeasance are also leveled at her and her administration.

I think that the guy in the street has woken up and have become totaly aware of what the "Phue Thai do" and have done since they came to power.

• Like 2

with mass media abound nowadays people dont have to wait for the morning papers anymore/even the biased rags.instant news it all helps people to see and read more of whats going on in their country,whatever your politics,the masses are more clued up more than ever,i believe people of all colours have had enough now,dissolve the lot and start again i say.maybe theres a chance to save this country...i know people on here will say they were voted in legally..maybe half true/but the people who voted them in werent told they were going to be f**ked in the process..(BIG TIME)..hey ho..wai.gif

The Pheu Thai party do NOT care about ordinary people in the slightest.. Pheu Thai is a Mafia led party who care only about themselves and robbing this country blind. Throw a few trinkets to the stupid peoples and those peoples think we are Gods... all hail Thaksin .. Hahaha

One day, I sincerely hope that Thai people will come to accept the results of an election by the people. Those on the losing side in any election in any country can carp about the policies of the majority party, alleged corruption, etc., etc. The true indication of a 'mature' democracy is to accept the mandate of the people and wait until the next election.

• Like 1

One day, I sincerely hope that Thai people will come to accept the results of an election by the people. Those on the losing side in any election in any country can carp about the policies of the majority party, alleged corruption, etc., etc. The true indication of a 'mature' democracy is to accept the mandate of the people and wait until the next election.

Actually that is not true even in the west governments are ousted by demonstrations if they really overstep their bounds just like what is happening here. The government did more then a few things that are not according to the law and purely for its leader. So this is a justified protest let them call new elections and let it be a warning for governments here not to overstep the law.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 2

Actually that is not true even in the west governments are ousted by demonstrations if they really overstep their bounds just like what is happening here. The government did more then a few things that are not according to the law and purely for its leader. So this is a justified protest let them call new elections and let it be a warning for governments here not to overstep the law.

And the western governments your are referring to are?

A true indicator of Democracy is having Politicians who are worthy of voting for. Politicians who are inclusive with their policies for all the people, not just a handful of cronies.

But I do wonder, When you have bought the vote for cash how much of a mandate is that exactly?

The protests are aimed at fixing an obviously very faulty democracy, there will be no elections until the system is repaired to the point that democracy will actually work in Thailand, history very obviously shows it doesn't - since taking office all PTP has been doing is trying to demolish whatever (little) laws - institutions - checks and balances existed, that is why they are being removed, the people have had enough of the lies and corruption, the sooner they go the better

Lets get the laws - institutions - checks and balances improved, get the constitution strengthened against such attacks and put it to the people in a referendum so they can stamp their approval, also shore up the process for charter and constitution amendments so that they require a full 2/3 majority in the house to progress and approve - that way all this silly nonesense the last 2 years goes away

Quote: I wonder is the "protesters" have any idea that this whole farce is not designed to oust the current government but simply to put Suthep and Abhisit back in power where they will care even less about the guy in the street than the Phue Thai government do. 'EoQ'

That is just so much bull shyt ....... bah.gif

I bow to your superior knowledge of Thai politics.

The dems cannot win elections and cannot even accept a vote of confidence so they are not likely to wait and lose another election their only chance is a coup. They have failed to accept any mandate of the people over the years and are unlikely to do so in the future.

• Like 2

The protests are aimed at fixing an obviously very faulty democracy, there will be no elections until the system is repaired to the point that democracy will actually work in Thailand, history very obviously shows it doesn't - since taking office all PTP has been doing is trying to demolish whatever (little) laws - institutions - checks and balances existed, that is why they are being removed, the people have had enough of the lies and corruption, the sooner they go the better

Lets get the laws - institutions - checks and balances improved, get the constitution strengthened against such attacks and put it to the people in a referendum so they can stamp their approval, also shore up the process for charter and constitution amendments so that they require a full 2/3 majority in the house to progress and approve - that way all this silly nonesense the last 2 years goes away

And who is going to make these changes?

certainly not PTP or the DEMS

Perhaps it could be chaired by international advisors/experts to make sure they stay within the bounds of actually fixing this once and for all, I believe there are good educated people in Thailand that could progress this and understand what is required perhaps pulled from all sectors of society

Some education for the people might also help them understand why democracy has failed in the past and why the changes are required

Perhaps it could be chaired by international advisors/experts to make sure they stay within the bounds of actually fixing this once and for all, I believe there are good educated people in Thailand that could progress this and understand what is required perhaps pulled from all sectors of society

Some education for the people might also help them understand why democracy has failed in the past and why the changes are required

Probably a decent idea, but never in a million years would it happen. To many vested interest all out to protect or gain their cut of the pie. There are good educated Thai people, but they would never get anywhere in politics as they would be discredited/removed quick smart if they were to even think about actually stopping corruption etc.

Seen it happen in the Netherlands that after protest a government coalition broke up and no new one could be formed so elections were called for im sure there are more examples.

A true indicator of Democracy is having Politicians who are worthy of voting for. Politicians who are inclusive with their policies for all the people, not just a handful of cronies.

But I do wonder, When you have bought the vote for cash how much of a mandate is that exactly?

Democracy makes no guarantees whatsoever. When I teach students about democracy, I tell them there are two cardinal rules: 1) Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers; and 2) democracy does not guarantee that 'correct' decisions will be made. As for 'vote buying', there are procedures in place for candidates for office to file complaints over such irregularities. During the time I have been in Thailand, the election commission has set aside many contests for vote buying and defamation. These complaints have been filed [and upheld] in numer ous instances by all political parties.

Wishful thinking or have simply been brain washed. If Ms Yingluck was a certain as you appear to be then she would have simply disolved parliment and called for fresh elections to put an end to the protest but she did not as she unlike your good self is not so certain on the result . The PTP have lost a considerable amount of support based on their abysmal management which is a mater of public record. Several issues of malfeasance are also leveled at her and her administration.

I think that the guy in the street has woken up and have become totaly aware of what the "Phue Thai do" and have done since they came to power.

You are rite on the mark there. The people have woke up and been awake long enough to see that the PTPredshirt's do not have their best interests at heart. They have no intention of helping the Thai people unless they are of Chinese decent living in Dubai.

They are freely at their own expense getting out and telling the world that they are no longer content to serve a criminal led government.

That I understand. The red shirts getting paid to demenstrate I understand what I don't understand is a supposed educated farong supporting a criminal government.wai2.gif

Seen it happen in the Netherlands that after protest a government coalition broke up and no new one could be formed so elections were called for im sure there are more examples.

When you have a 'coalition' government, it is always a 'fragile' relationship. However, that is not the case in Thailand. PTP won an outright majority in Parliament and easily survived a 'no confidence' vote. With PTP coalition members remaining loyal to the PTP. So, is it the goal of the demonstrations to undermine the proper procedures for 'majority' rule?

• Like 1

Every democracy has flaws. However, you seem to forget that the military coup in 2006 and the subsequent constitution approved in a referendum was to allegedly 'fix' these flaws. And the Democrats were in power for a substantial amount of time after the new constitution. If there were flaws, why didn't the Democrats attempt to fix them? If you look at the changes in the current constitution to that of the 1997 constitution, it was written is such a way to dilute the power of the PTP. However, it didn't work. New coup? New constitution to guarantee that the Democrats will win no matter what?

• Like 1

I was wondering when you were going to start with the anti Democrats.

What is it they are going to do that is so bad. Now remember you can not refer to their last time in office as it was supported by Thaksin trained corruption specialists who's support was needed to get into office. Also they had an opposition who had a military arm and were using it.

You have come a long way from the Thaksin loving pooch now take that extra step and have a look at what a honest government can do.

When I say honest I realize there is no such thing in the whole world but there is ones who are predominantly honest. Take a chance trust a different Thai you have it in you some where.wai2.gif

The Pheu Thai party do NOT care about ordinary people in the slightest.. Pheu Thai is a Mafia led party who care only about themselves and robbing this country blind. Throw a few trinkets to the stupid peoples and those peoples think we are Gods... all hail Thaksin .. Hahaha

You are close to certifiably insane my friend. When on earth do you get your data. When and where was there evidence that the democrat took care of the 'ordinary people' as you put it.

The Thai Democrat party is driven by the wealthiest families in Thailand. Abhisit and Suthep is just two of their poodles, and It is believed that each of them have committed many crimes to impress their elite Flashmen masters.

• Like 1

Democracy makes no guarantees whatsoever. When I teach students about democracy, I tell them there are two cardinal rules: 1) Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers; and 2) democracy does not guarantee that 'correct' decisions will be made. As for 'vote buying', there are procedures in place for candidates for office to file complaints over such irregularities. During the time I have been in Thailand, the election commission has set aside many contests for vote buying and defamation. These complaints have been filed [and upheld] in numer ous instances by all political parties.

That may be so, but buying the vote isn't much of a mandate regardless of which side it is. 100% of people will never be happy with which ever party is in power. They can only hope stupid people don't get elected into power! Politicians who make decisions for the good of all not a few would be a good start. That might guarantee a fairer system?

But as you say, there are no guarantees. The country needs a better political system than they have.