Australian Rules Football 2014 - Tipping, Chat & The Dream Team

chooka

Yup that's a tough one to call... Boys are due for a rough one..

Might be a chance for Khun Will27 to open up a lead wink.png

Mr Smith, the way I've been going, I'll be happy just

getting a Friday night tip right.

You should be okay for the remainder of the round.

WCE V Richmond is an easy pick

and so is

Collingwood V Adelaide.

No doubt as to who will win those two games.

Brissie V GC I am not so sure about. Brissie home game and GC missing Ablett.

Khun Will27,

I thought you were a hansum man with good heart? Seems you've taken your finger off the pulse wink.png

Big Cox retiring at season's end...

Yes

Just read that and a wise decision methinks.

I'd like them to give him a farewell game on the

Friday night and then play the young ones.

Coxxy is arguably the best ruckman of all time.

I think the only other contenders are Simon Madden

and Polly Farmer.

I think he's got Madden but I never saw Polly so too hard

for me to compare.

• Like 1

You should be okay for the remainder of the round.

WCE V Richmond is an easy pick

and so is

Collingwood V Adelaide.

No doubt as to who will win those two games.

Brissie V GC I am not so sure about. Brissie home game and GC missing Ablett.

Easy you sayblink.png

Leave our boy alonebiggrin.png

Carlton looking to sign out-of-favour Swan Tom Mitchell, set to gain Steven Trigg as new CEO

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/carlton-looking-to-sign-outoffavour-swan-tom-mitchell-set-to-gain-steven-trigg-as-new-ceo/story-fniv64qq-1226996535239

Mitchell has picked a most unfortunate time for himself to get injured this year. Firstly he was overlooked for Jake Lloyd (a major surprise) and then when hanneberry got injured, Mitchell was also injured. Mitchell is surely a a top end Mid fielder though and has 10 years at the top in him.

It is a waste for Sydney to be paying him so highly if he is not an automatic first team pick though. With Mitchell on contract I can't see what Carlton has to offer.

Chooka brought up the Sam Reid rumour. I read that Swans might be looking for a trade for Jack Billings and a second round pick. A slightly smaller forward option to replace Reid

Carlton looking to sign out-of-favour Swan Tom Mitchell, set to gain Steven Trigg as new CEO

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/carlton-looking-to-sign-outoffavour-swan-tom-mitchell-set-to-gain-steven-trigg-as-new-ceo/story-fniv64qq-1226996535239

Mitchell has picked a most unfortunate time for himself to get injured this year. Firstly he was overlooked for Jake Lloyd (a major surprise) and then when hanneberry got injured, Mitchell was also injured. Mitchell is surely a a top end Mid fielder though and has 10 years at the top in him.

It is a waste for Sydney to be paying him so highly if he is not an automatic first team pick though. With Mitchell on contract I can't see what Carlton has to offer.

Chooka brought up the Sam Reid rumour. I read that Swans might be looking for a trade for Jack Billings and a second round pick. A slightly smaller forward option to replace Reid

Word on the Soi is that Carlton have offered Mick Malthouse and Mitch Robinson

for Tom Mitchell and John Longmire!!

Don't shoot the messengertongue.png

• Like 1

Swans already have a reserves coach mate

• Like 2

Yeah that's the only way Tom's going to Carlton, I'd see him at Melbourne before Carlton. There'd be no way Mitchell would go to Carlton at the moment, plus getting $400k for doing rehab? Where do I sign up :P

Interesting the news about Malco looking to head to Melbourne, not too sure how many years he has left. Still a bit of game changer, a role he assumed after Marty Mattner's retirement last year. Be a shame to lose him. Was also reading that O'keefe is set to resign at the end of the year as well, probably the worst kept secret that one.

I'd imagine most players from Sydney will be putting off trade talks until seasons end, premiership or otherwise...

Khun Will27,

I thought you were a hansum man with good heart? Seems you've taken your finger off the pulse wink.png

Yes

and Polly Farmer.

for me to compare.

I saw Polly play a couple of games as captain/coach of West Perth after he came back from Victoria. And, I'm sure, I would have seen him with East Perth when I was a kid.

He was unparalleled with ruck work (palming) and lightening fast handballs, but never covered the ground the way Cox does.

Cox was the first of the very mobile, big men. Definitely one of the greatest!

• Like 1

Khun Will27,

Yes

and Polly Farmer.

for me to compare.

I saw Polly play a couple of games as captain/coach of West Perth after he came back from Victoria. And, I'm sure, I would have seen him with East Perth when I was a kid.

He was unparalleled with ruck work (palming) and lightening fast handballs, but never covered the ground the way Cox does.

Cox was the first of the very mobile, big men. Definitely one of the greatest!

Cant belive what i just read....mobile ruckmen have been around for 20 years, S Maddern, Stynes, Teasdale the last 2 winning brownlows as mobile ruckmen.

• Like 1

oh please cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif stop it your killing me bookman. Sydney will never get Billings. Well not until we have developed him anywaysmile.png The Sam Reid/Saints deal may now be in jeopardy after last weeks saints thumping of the dockers. Our number one draft pick may be gone if the young saints have their backs up

• Like 2

Gold Coast queries AFL's values as academy stoush intensifies

Gold Coast chairman John Witheriff has questioned the AFL’s values and accused it of a lack of courtesy in the decision to review the bidding system for development academy players and father-son selections.

Witheriff, accusing the AFL of going back on its word, has joined the growing chorus of northern club chiefs disenchanted that head office could redesign the bidding rules for academy players just months before the national draft, following heavy pressure from Collingwood president Eddie McGuire.

In unprecedented public criticism from the league’s fledgling expansion club, Witheriff revealed he held talks this week with AFL chiefs, urging them to keep their promise on academies. He told Fairfax Media: ''The commission needs to understand the implications of what it’s doing.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/gold-coast-queries-afls-values-as-academy-stoush-intensifies-20140723-zw2jk.html

Kurt Tippett and Lance Franklin align for Sydney Swans for Hawthorn clash at MCG

Sydney will field its all-star forward line against Hawthorn after welcoming back Kurt Tippett for Saturday night's clash at the MCG.

Tippett will join fellow star signing Lance Franklin in the Swans' forward 50 after proving his fitness at training on Thursday. To counter the influence of the twin towers, the Hawks have key defender Josh Gibson back in the team.

Gibson has not played since the last clash with Sydney when he suffered a pectoral injury but the Hawks have been willing to select him at senior level without a VFL hit-out.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/kurt-tippett-and-lance-franklin-align-for-sydney-swans-for-hawthorn-clash-at-mcg-20140724-zwk8n.html

This weekend is very hard to tip.

I have tipped West Coast over Richmond. Mainly because of home ground.

Brisbane and GC is a toss up. GC without Ablett gives a big advantage to Brisbane. I will go for GC

Swans V Hawthorn. Very difficult for the Swans to win at the MCG. Hawks have Gibson back. I will select the Swans because I am a Swans fan.

Collingwood V Adelaide. I have no idea. My guess is Adelaide but will wait until Sunday.

Good luck to all this weekend

I agree mate

I've gotten wrong my last 2 tips in the WC games and haven't got a Friday

night tip right for 3 weeks.

I'm not sure that GC haven't run out of petrol at this stage of the season.

Hawks and Syd is anyone's games. Gibson back but he's missed a lot of footy.

Surely Syd are due for a loss?

Same here about Collingwood and Ade. Every time I pick Ade away from home

the seem to lose.

Time for the dartboard methinks.

• Like 2

This weekend is very hard to tip.

I have tipped West Coast over Richmond. Mainly because of home ground.

Brisbane and GC is a toss up. GC without Ablett gives a big advantage to Brisbane. I will go for GC

Swans V Hawthorn. Very difficult for the Swans to win at the MCG. Hawks have Gibson back. I will select the Swans because I am a Swans fan.

Collingwood V Adelaide. I have no idea. My guess is Adelaide but will wait until Sunday.

Good luck to all this weekend

I agree mate

I've gotten wrong my last 2 tips in the WC games and haven't got a Friday

night tip right for 3 weeks.

I'm not sure that GC haven't run out of petrol at this stage of the season.

Hawks and Syd is anyone's games. Gibson back but he's missed a lot of footy.

Surely Syd are due for a loss?

Same here about Collingwood and Ade. Every time I pick Ade away from home

the seem to lose.

Time for the dartboard methinks.

Richmond looked like a team reinvigored in their last game. Maybe now they don;t have finals pressure on them tey can play more freely? Then again WCE is at home.

Now tippet is in the team I am tipping the Swans. Butterfingers was in form last game and with so many goal kicking options, the Hawks depleted backline will be under too much pressure. Gibson is a big inclusion but first game back will be difficult for him.

Collingwood v Adelaide. No idea so I will pick Collingwood. Chimpy demands I do.

I think Gold Coast will rally this week. Even with Ablett gone they are a better team than Brissie and their midfield should get them through

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 2

Sydney Swans Nick Malceski, Mike Pyke and Craig Bird remain undecided about their futures

IF the Swans win the premiership this year it could signal the departure of three of their best players: Nick Malceski, Mike Pyke and Craig Bird.

Two flags under the belt was enough for Lance Franklin to leave Hawthorn for the Swans and for Gary Ablett to leave Geelong and head to the Gold Coast.

It might be enough for these 2012 Grand Final winners to leave Sydney.

All three are out of contract at the end of this season and have been unable to reach agreement.

Pyke and Bird’s negotiations are ongoing but Malceski has put his talks on hold until the end of the year.

They would all be attractive propositions to opposition clubs.

While each of them have been playing well, Malceski’s form has been outstanding.

The man who kicked the winning goal in the 2012 Grand Final is having his best year since 2007 when he finished second in the Bob Skilton Medal behind Brett Kirk.

That year he was short listed for All Australian selection and could go one better this year.

The hold up with his contract talks is believed to be the term with the Swans are baulking at the three years Malceski wants.

He turns 30 next month and has a young family and is clearly looking for a good final contract to see his career out, while his form is an enormous endorsement for LARS knee reconstructions the Swans reluctance to go to three years in understandable.

Other clubs appear to be unfazed by the Swans defender’s desire for a longer term agreement.

Malceski’s manager Ben Niall has confirmed expressions of interest from Fremantle and West Coast as well as Melbourne clubs.

The lumberjack is not one of the Swans best. He's a good player all things considered and is our #1 ruck option at the moment but our ruck stocks actually look quite good, so West Coast can take all 3 ;)

Might be Butterfingers new role next season ;) Switch hitting...

• Like 1

Maybe West Coast will pick up Malceski and Bird khunWill?

Mate

I'd take them both in a heartbeat.

Really looking forward to next year to give Simpson

a draft period. Too many list cloggers for the Eagles.

And my Friday night run of losing continuessad.png

• Like 1

Mate

Myself and chia nat nats the only ones who picked Richmond?

Mate

Nice work BookMan.

It's always nice to get off to a good start for the weekend.

As an aside, I would be disappointed if Vickery gets anything less than 4 weeks

for his hit on Cox.

Sometimes things get too complicated. Twenty five percent remission for an early plea,

carry over points, intent, impact etc etc.

The germ belted a guy last month so why should he get 25% discount if he pleads guilty?

IMO, you belt a guy in the face with sufficient force to knock him out before he hits the ground

and you should get a minimum of 4 weeks.

Personally, I'd like to see the POS get 6, but that ain't going to happen.

Mate

Nice work BookMan.

It's always nice to get off to a good start for the weekend.

As an aside, I would be disappointed if Vickery gets anything less than 4 weeks

for his hit on Cox.

Sometimes things get too complicated. Twenty five percent remission for an early plea,

carry over points, intent, impact etc etc.

The germ belted a guy last month so why should he get 25% discount if he pleads guilty?

IMO, you belt a guy in the face with sufficient force to knock him out before he hits the ground

and you should get a minimum of 4 weeks.

Personally, I'd like to see the POS get 6, but that ain't going to happen.

It was a stupid punch by Vickery. He was responding to Cox's elbow into his chest a few seconds previously but the response was too much. You can't punch someone like that in the face with a closed fist. 4 weeks seems likely

Hawks v Sydney

Game of the round on this week. Perhaps the game of the year thus far.

For my mind these are the two teams most likely to win the GF this year. Both have enormous depth, great midfields, forward lines that are difficult to shut down with so many goal kicking options and solid defence.

Still tipping Sydney for this one for me. Hawks have a few injuries still, but their backline will have to work overtime this game.

Mind game wise, the small concern for Sydney the remainder of this year is their unsigned players and how that affects their mental state.

Hawks v Sydney Game of the round on this week. Perhaps the game of the year thus far. For my mind these are the two teams most likely to win the GF this year. Both have enormous depth, great midfields, forward lines that are difficult to shut down with so many goal kicking options and solid defence. Still tipping Sydney for this one for me. Hawks have a few injuries still, but their backline will have to work overtime this game. Mind game wise, the small concern for Sydney the remainder of this year is their unsigned players and how that affects their mental state.

I still like a Syd/Freo GF.

The Hawks have a tough run with WB, Freo in Perth, Geelong and Collingwood.

I know Freo have to play Hawthorn, Geelong and Port but I don't think they will

lose another game at home this year. The game at Simmonds will be crucial.

• Like 1