Where to buy a used wheel and tyre for a pick-up?

KittenKong

Does anyone know a place in Pattaya/Jomtien likely to have a used wheel and tyre for a common model of pick-up?

It's only going to be used as a spare so condition and looks are not important, as long as the tyre has a bit of tread left on and stays inflated, and it's the correct size.

What would be a likely price for such an item?

As I need both the wheel and the tyre I was thinking more of a place like a breaker's yard than a tyre shop. I've never had occasion to go to a breaker's yard here (in fact I dont think I've even noticed one when driving around) and I expect there are good ones and bad ones, so that was why I asked for advice about such places. And advice about likely prices for the same reason. Forewarned is forearmed.

For me classified ads tend to be a lot of hassle and wasted time and effort, but thanks for the suggestion.

As I need both the wheel and the tyre I was thinking more of a place like a breaker's yard than a tyre shop. I've never had occasion to go to a breaker's yard here (in fact I dont think I've even noticed one when driving around) and I expect there are good ones and bad ones, so that was why I asked for advice about such places. And advice about likely prices for the same reason. Forewarned is forearmed.

For me classified ads tend to be a lot of hassle and wasted time and effort, but thanks for the suggestion.

bridgestone on sukhumvit road

between pattaya Thai and pattaya klang

on the left side heading to pattaya klang about half a mile before the new macdonalds

almost immediately after a motorcycle dealers

its a family business , i have known them for many years and had many good deals

he has hundreds of used but good and sorted/tested tyres in the back

the son has just finished a year at Birmingham university in Uk and speaks pretty good English

expect to pay about 1000 for a used Tyre with lots of tread on it

an old steel wheel might be 500 more, maybe 2000 for a good alloy

price may vary depending on the vehicle tyre size and includes fitting testing balancing etc

guarantees are really by word of mouth but you can expect that if it deflates, or is problematical etc with no help from any nails or from you within a few days then they will change it for you for another used tyre

they are a good firm to work with and you might get a few hundred baht knocked off their initial asking price if you ask nicely

After I suggested bahtsold.com I looked and saw a great deal for both rim and rubber for 1,200b but if that is to much of a hastle then yes go to Goodrich.

exactly how did you know what size of tyre or the size of wheel he wants and for which vehicle he wants it for ?

however if he has a Toyota tiger or sport rider that's 10 -20 years old then this might be for him

Toyota Sport Rider /Tiger/Sport Cruiser. Spare wheel and Tyre.

BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A Size 285/75/R16

off nungplabwan

post-81023-0-42957100-1389873287_thumb.j

Edited by blackman

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will call into Bridgestone soon and see what they have.

I dont actually know what size tyre and wheel are needed, but as long as the ones I end up with are the right size and reasonably priced that's all I'm concerned about. As I said, it's only for the spare and so hopefully it will never get much use, if any.

My original (unused) spare wheel and tyre were stolen from my pick-up some time over the last month. They cut the chain and lock off. I have no real idea where it happened but I think it must have been either in my condo car park or in Central or the Avenue. I dont go to Central or the Avenue more than once a week each but it does tend to be the evening and I do generally leave the vehicle for several hours. I suppose it could have been in Tesco or BigC or Makro car park during the day, but I'm never there for more than 30 minutes. Bit of a mystery really.

Just another example of the apparently ever-increasing crime here, I suppose.

The first replacement tyre I ever bought here was from a regular tyre shop. They didn't have the make I needed as new but offered me "second-hand" at only 400 baht, it was only as a spare so said OK. Of course it was a stolen tyre, but price was good, it was also brand new with all the markings you see on a new tyre. Guess I could have had the plods rush to the scene to investigate, but when in Rome....

Tyre theft is a growing problem in Pattaya and Jontiem I had mine stolen not long after buying the pick up, if you back into a parking spot in the shopping centres they back on to you and drop both tail gates to hide their thieving, I have since bought a super hard lock and a very thick chain to deter future loses

Bridgestone have no suitable used wheels. They suggested a new plain metal wheel for 2500B (to be ordered from Bangkok) and a used tyre for 1000B.

Both seem expensive to me. Pleasant and helpful people though.

I will be doing the rounds of all the tyre shops I can find, armed with a bit of paper describing what I want in Thai.

I have since bought a super hard lock and a very thick chain to deter future loses

Not a bad idea and surely better than the very flimsy factory-fitted chain. But I suspect that decent bolt cutters would make short work of them.

I was thinking that if I had an alarm on the vehicle a live alarm wire threaded through the chain might be quite a good idea. As I dont have an alarm I think I will just keep my replacement spare wheel (when I get it) under the top-up cover rather than suspended from the vehicle.

I have since bought a super hard lock and a very thick chain to deter future loses

Not a bad idea and surely better than the very flimsy factory-fitted chain. But I suspect that decent bolt cutters would make short work of them.

I was thinking that if I had an alarm on the vehicle a live alarm wire threaded through the chain might be quite a good idea. As I dont have an alarm I think I will just keep my replacement spare wheel (when I get it) under the top-up cover rather than suspended from the vehicle.

Keep the spare wheel under the top cover, and what when you have to load something ?

Boy air and sound, but probably also other accessory shops, have a lock for spare wheels that can not be cut.

For a scrapyard, there is one on Sukhumvit just beside the Road 36 flyover and another one on Road 36 about 1 km before the regents school on your left side.

Edited by JesseFrank

I think that the spares that are stolen, are from new trucks, so if you have an old tire, on an old rusty rim, I think you will be alright, and if not, then it didnt cost much anyway! I sure wouldnt go to the trouble of installing an alarm, since it might be me, that sets it off!

Keep the spare wheel under the top cover, and what when you have to load something ?

To be honest, in 2 years of ownership I think I have opened the top-up cover about 10 times, and I've never actually put more than a few bags of shopping into it. So there would be no shortage of space for a spare wheel. I just wish I had thought of doing it 2 years ago!

Boy air and sound, but probably also other accessory shops, have a lock for spare wheels that can not be cut.

I'll check that out. On mine whoever it was cut the chain not the lock. That chain was very flimsy though.

For a scrapyard, there is one on Sukhumvit just beside the Road 36 flyover and another one on Road 36 about 1 km before the regents school on your left side.

Thanks. Hopefully they will have something suitable for a reasonable price.

I guess it must have been a couple of years ago that I posted on here about the thieving of spare wheels and how it had happened to me and to pretty much everyone I know with a new pick up or SUV with the spare wheel underneath. It seems they look for the red plate. I've only ever seen one report in the media of anyone getting arrested for this and that was a taxi driver who they caught with bolt cutters in his cab and who confessed. If I ever bought another new pick up I would either buy a shitty old spare to keep under it until I got the red plates off or else take a can of spray paint to the spare that it came with.

To the OP, try the Caltex gas station on the southbound side of Sukhumvit between Klang and Tai, maybe 500m from the junction with Klang. As you drive into the gas station keep left as if heading due East (i.e. don't go towards the pumps, do a 90° turn from Sukhumvit) and down the side of the gas station is an old boy with an open-air tyre shop. I've had a few 2nd hand tryes off him and never had a problem with any of them, and he's cheap too.

Thanks for the suggestion. Everyone seems to have the used tyres but finding a used wheel is harder.

My wheel was stolen two years after I bought the vehicle new, so they dont just target red plates (though red plates are a good sign of a new tyre as you say).

I think that if I bought another new pick-up I would be tempted to get the new spare tyre replaced with a used tyre at a tyre shop, and either sell them the new tyre or store it at home for future use. Losing the wheel is proving to be much more of a nuisance than losing the tyre, and yet the wheel was probably of very little value to the thief compared to the tyre.

On Sukhumvit near the 7 entry ramp have a shop with a lot of second hand wheels and tyres, next door to the shop that checks the cars for insurance with the yellow cog in the blue sign. Chinese lady and easy to deal with.

Stealing of the spare wheel used to be rampant with new Isuzu D Max as the spare was a full size alloy and not just a simple steel one.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I had this problem with a single spare wheel and tyre last year. I searched many places but to get a single rim was - for me - impossible. I even tried the scrap yard on the way out of Pattaya heading towards Regents School.

Everywhere would only sell a set of 4 rims sad.png

Though I did get a set of 4 rims for 7000 baht from a tyre shop near the scrap yard and I kept one of my originals as a spare.

Seems very few places in / around Pattaya do single steel rims.

But, good luck on your search and if you do find a place, there would be a few people interested in where, so do please post back.

I had this problem with a single spare wheel and tyre last year. I searched many places but to get a single rim was - for me - impossible. I even tried the scrap yard on the way out of Pattaya heading towards Regents School.

Though I did get a set of 4 rims for 7000 baht from a tyre shop near the scrap yard and I kept one of my originals as a spare.

That price isn't far removed from the 2500B for one new rim I was quoted in town. Were they new plain steel rims also?

Strange that they should only sell them in sets. One would have thought there would be quite a demand for single replacement rims, either due to theft or accidental pot-hole damage.

On Sukhumvit near the 7 entry ramp have a shop with a lot of second hand wheels and tyres, next door to the shop that checks the cars for insurance with the yellow cog in the blue sign. Chinese lady and easy to deal with.

On my list for next week. Thanks.

That price isn't far removed from the 2500B for one new rim I was quoted in town. Were they new plain steel rims also?

Strange that they should only sell them in sets. One would have thought there would be quite a demand for single replacement rims, either due to theft or accidental pot-hole damage.

My thoughts exactly as my alloy was broken in a large, unseen pothole in the dark. Yet I could not buy a matching rim anywhere and even opted for a steel one to use as a spare with no luck.

Those I bought were alloy rims. Not the best alloys but as I was selling the motor before much longer, the quality did not matter.

I could not discover where these tyre places sent all the part sets of rims to. It ocurred to me that there might be quite a few sets of 3 rims about.

Steel rims in Pattaya seem to be hard to get for whatever reason, but do not let my experience put you off, there must be somewhere that does them. Yet no-one I spoke to seemed to know where.

One further thought that just popped into my head.......

On the way out of Pattaya heading along Sukhumvit road in the direction of Chon Buri, on the left there is a small roadside stall selling wheel covers for steel rims. Possible they might have some idea.

In the Uk there are scrap yards everywhere. Walk in find what you want and no problem. Seems odd to me that there seems to be so few scrap yards here. Best place I did know was that one north of BKK at Rangsit? and that is massive.

Has anyone come across a decent and effective locking system for the spare, specifically on a Vigo?

I had a Toyota lock fitted as an "extra" when I bought my latest Vigo ......to be honest it doesn't

look that impressive

I got them to demonstrate how to remove the spare wheel.....it was such a "fag" that I immediately

put the spare into the "Alpha" load cover......yes it takes up space....but is definitely safer in

there...(the crooks probably think that the spare has been stolen already)....

I had owned my previous Vigo 2 weeks in 2010, went to Bkk, used a multi-storey car park, came back a couple of hours later......spare gone....had to be an inside job with the parking assistants...

so watch out

• Like 1

These people were indeed helpful and had a good hunt in the back for a steel wheel. In the end they couldnt find one (they had lots of other sizes and types) and so they suggested a new alloy wheel for 2000B and a used tyre for 500.

I thought that fitting a new alloy wheel was just begging for it to be stolen again (and I wanted to get it as cheaply as possible) so I decided to try a few more places, most of which either didnt have anything or wanted about 2500-3000B. One of them wanted me to go to another branch where they apparently did have the right wheel, though he didnt know the price.

So I set off to go there but before I got there I found a wheel replacement place in Banglamung where a helpful chap had a new steel wheel for 1200B and a used Bridgestone tyre with quite a bit of tread left on it for another 500B, so a total of 1700B all balanced and ready to go.

He also gave me a lecture about the different hub sizes on the different brands which was interesting enough, and more interestingly he told me that my old spare had not been cut off by thieves but that part of the retaining bolt had sheared and it had probably just fallen off. Of course he might be talking nonsense, but who am I to know?

He also went on to explain that you can buy a souped-up combination lock/bolt/clamp that would not break and cannot be cut off without special equipment, but I may have misunderstood that part.

As a result of all of which I didnt get to the two scrap yards mentioned, though they were on my list.

The replacement spare is now under the top-up cover and I am 1700B (and one brand new unused tyre) worse off.

• Like 1

I bought a spare wheel lock at the weekend and it looks like it's a very capable device. It bolts to the frame and is hidden by the wheel hence the device itself can't be tampered with, there's then an extension that fits through one of the wheel lug holes and a large cap snaps over the top of that and is secured by a lock. The lock is recessed into the cap so it's not possible to get a pair of grips around it to snap it off, the lock is a two barrel yale type lock, double sided. Product is made by Locktech, coasts 1,200 installed and is guaranteed for five years.

Is it this:

01_531_398_90.jpg

Indeed it is, any reviews or comments? From what I can tell it's a pretty sturdy unit, there's no way that bolt cutters can neutralize it and there's no way disconnect it from the frame with the spare wheel in place. All that leaves is the lock itself which is recessed so the only option left is to try and jam something into it and break it which looks like a tough job given the location/angle etc.

At the end of the day if somebody want my spare badly enough they will find a way to take it, at least though I've now put some deterrent in place which may not deter everyone but may at least deter some.

Edited by chiang mai