M 79 grenade lands near CMPO command center

webfact

M 79 grenade lands near CMPO command center

M79-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- An M-79 grenade was fired into the compound of the caretaker government's special security command center on Vibhavadi Rangsit road last night but missed. The grenade landed at a car care service garage inside a patrol station causing damage to the roof and a car.

The incident happened at about 10.30 p.m. at the Green Wash-The Premium car care center inside Bangchak petrol station.

The grenade landed on the roof of the center’s garage and exploded causing a big hole on the roof and damaging a Honda sedan.

The center is about 400 meters off the Royal Thai Police Club where the Center for the Maintaining of Peace and Order (CMPO) is using as the command center to monitor the anti government protests.

A station employee said he heard a loud explosion and saw flame on the roof of the center. He ran to see and discover a big hole on the roof and a customer’s car damaged.

The witness suspected the grenade was fired from either from the overhead tollway and aimed at the police compound because it is 400 meters away.

Deputy commander of the Metropolitan Police 3rd division Pol Col Charoen Srisalak said it was not yet known where the grenade was fired from, either from the tollway or from Vibhavadi Soi 60 which is behind the petrol station.

But the grenade attack was believed to create unstable situation because the scene is 400 meters from the CMPO command center.

Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) police arrived last night to collect evidence.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/m-79-grenade-lands-near-cmpo-command-center/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-02-21

Bad shots. They must have been amateurs.

Or distance challenged. Max firing range M79 400 meters, effective firing range 350 meters.

Those effective ranges are for area targets. For point targets the range comes down to only 150m.

• Like 1

what a load of garbage, these reporters have no idea at all and report anything that explodes as a grenade. I reckon if a group threw a rock then all yelled BANG, some reporter would claim they threw a grenade, what a bunch of dropkicks most of these reporters are. The articles are just getting more and more exagerated, really need some honest ones but I dont likw our chances..

An M-79 grenade was fired into the compound of the caretaker government's special security command center on Vibhavadi Rangsit road last night but missed. The grenade landed at a car care service garage inside a patrol station causing damage to the roof and a car.

Imagine if the grenade laded DIRECTLY into the gasoline heart,.... KABOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was fired into the compound but missed by 400 metres. It was hardly fired into the compound then, was it?

Maybe they were aiming at Yingluck's house, but missed by 10 kms.

Agreed, but don't forget this piece was written by the Thai PBS, whose English is notoriously bad ...

• Like 1

Yep ! Here we go suthep's thugs are doing a good job. When are you people in BKK going to wake up that this man suthep is NOT your savior.

And when are you going to wake up that the police do most of the bombing/shooting. Look at the dumb cop the other day. Videoed dropping the bomb. Videoed kicking it. Videoed it blowing up at his foot. Videoed the dipshit in hospital with his foot bandaged.

If you look at the local tv (admitted my wife gives me the running commentary) Sutheps mob are doing very little damage. Other groups such as the students have been violent on one or two occasions.

The police and red shirts are the main instigators of the violence for intimidation purposes.

Suthep might not be the saviour, but he"ll do until one comes along...and he/she will. And it ain't YL or Thaksin.

The video was pretty clear that the grenade was thrown from somewhere and hit the shield. It wasn't "dropped" by the police.

Sent from my phone ...

• Like 1

Yep ! Here we go suthep's thugs are doing a good job. When are you people in BKK going to wake up that this man suthep is NOT your savior.

And when are you going to wake up that the police do most of the bombing/shooting. Look at the dumb cop the other day. Videoed dropping the bomb. Videoed kicking it. Videoed it blowing up at his foot. Videoed the dipshit in hospital with his foot bandaged.

If you look at the local tv (admitted my wife gives me the running commentary) Sutheps mob are doing very little damage. Other groups such as the students have been violent on one or two occasions.

The police and red shirts are the main instigators of the violence for intimidation purposes.

Suthep might not be the saviour, but he"ll do until one comes along...and he/she will. And it ain't YL or Thaksin.

Sitting on the fence and watching the match I see both sides it much clearer when you don't have blinkers.

Sitting on the fence and watching the match I see both sides it much clearer when you don't have blinkers.

enlighten us then o wise one

enlighten us then o wise one

The current government is a mess and don't deserve to be in power. Suthep is a lunatic and a madman and the government shouldn't be handed over to him or his hand picked lunatic friends. Both sides are as bad as each other. Sutheps thugs are responsible for just as much violence as the reds and they aren't as peaceful as his supporters and farangs supporters say they are. Both sides need to sit down together and try and work this out for the sake of peace. Dialogue is far better than grenades. Just my personal opinion.

Thailand is suppose to be part of ASEAN but how can it seriously participate when every 2 years there is political unrest and turmoil, they are at each others throats trying to rip their country apart.

What I think is needed is that members of ASEAN should act as mediators b/w Yingluk's government and Suthep's group. Having other Thais mediate is never going to work and they will have an allegiance to one or the other. If Suthep and Yingluk don't agree to outside mediation to at least try and resolve some of the issues then cut them free from ASEAN and let them destroy themselves and the country.

Edited by chooka