!!

Expensive helmet necessary for slow riding?

No compromise. Its hand down for me , how much do value your life.

I saw the tarmac rush before my eyes about 30mm at 30 mph 30 years ago when I was side swiped by a dog.

I was wearing a shit Stadium full face helmet (15 pounds) , but that shit full face a Stadium full face helmet saved my jaw becoming one with a road in South Yorkshire

I don't really agree with the claim that the money you spend on a helmet is equivalent to how much you value your life. I don't see any evidence that a cheaper helmet (but safety certified) will do any better in a crash at 40 km per hour than a more expensive one. It sounds like your shit Stadium helmet did its job. Would a Shoei have done any better?

Every time you increase your speed you're increasing your chances of serious injury or death, even with a helmet. Getting home a few minutes quicker - is that how much you value your life?

So you endorse shit and cheap piss pot helmets as OK?

Don't forget that when you are on the road you are not in control of your own destiny - others that really don't give a shit about are.

WHY would you want skimp on a lid???

Some people have some really odd views wai.gif

I'm talking about full face safety certified helmets, not "shit and cheap piss pot helmets". If I saw some evidence that more expensive helmets provided significantly better protection for normal road use then I'd probably fork out the money for one.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back at the dawn of man, when I first started riding, they made helmets from fiberglass.

Blew a rear tire, went off a cliff, and hit a building head first.

Split that helmet right down the center, from forehead to neck. The two halves were pressing into the side of my neck. White Styrofoam liner undamaged, besides being flattened some on top of my head.

Lesson learned.

This was before Snell and DOT.

• Like 1

The best helmet that can be afforded should be worn. Broken limbs can be repaired , broken heads/brains cannot.

The best helmet that can be afforded should be worn.

Fair enough,thats your opinion, and i presume you practice what you preach,but surely its an individuals own choice as to what quality helmet he/she wears and IMO should be their choice to ride sans helmet without being told not to do so by others ...

Perfectly correct.

Its up to the individual, hands down, freedom.

Depends on your outlook on life really.

If you think your life is worth a night out on the town then so be it.

The OP was Index, Real or something better.

Take a look at Real, you will see slightly better construction than Index. You really shouldnt buy a lid without trying it on first, the top of the range Index at Big C fit pretty poorly compared to Real.

LS2 would be a nice choice, Shark and another manufacturer GSB .. but unless theres a stockist where you can get them .. then its all hypothetical.

1500B - 2000B for a real full face helmet should do you fine, and buy some gloves while you are there too.

• Like 2

AGV also makes some good helmets at a good price ...although it depends if their

shape fits you well.

At the end of the day a lot of it will come back to your head shape

& how the helmet fits. Many manufacturers use a certain shape & some use more

than one.

AGV also makes some good helmets at a good price ...although it depends if their

shape fits you well.

At the end of the day a lot of it will come back to your head shape

& how the helmet fits. Many manufacturers use a certain shape & some use more

than one.

One nice thing about Aria. They make different shape helmets for different shape heads.

Going to a well stocked store with a knowledgeable staff is a real eye opener.

Not cheap - but quality never is.

• Like 2

One nice thing about Aria. They make different shape helmets for different shape heads.

Going to a well stocked store with a knowledgeable staff is a real eye opener.

Not cheap - but quality never is.

Yes heard that about Arai

My AGV K4 fits well with the exception of a bit too much pressure center of brow

AGV is what they call intermediate oval shape afaik

Perhaps if Michael Schumacher had worn his F1 lid he wouldn't be in the state he is.

Get well soon Michael wai2.gif

Perhaps, if had not worn a helmet at all he wouldn't be in the state he is...

For me..rather no life than existing in a non-life state...

I have a friend that was standing, he was having a wee after a wet evening. He fell over and hit his head...

Decided he just wanted to sleep, we ended up at the hospital the next evening- he spent 3-4 weeks there, then wheelchair for the next month or two, he could not taste anything for up to a year after, he could eat all the spicy food he wanted, tasted nothing. To top it off he keeps forgetting things...

This was from just standing still, imagine what 40 kmph could do... I think that you should buy the best helmet you can afford, when you fall down you might not be hitting your head, but is it not better to be safe pan not risk it?

Ride safely...

• Like 1

I'm firmly in the "wear the best you can justify" club. In fact, after t-boning a car that pulled out infront of me I got to be a bit of a preacher about only full face lids being good enough.

I had a point though, my FM full face helmet that I was wearing had paint from the gutter line of the car on the chin piece and cracks in its structure where it had absorbed the impact. If I had been wearing an open face helmet, my jaw would have taken that damage.

However, on holiday in NY some years later I looked round when I heard a big bike pull away from the traffic lights to see a big tatooed guy wearing shorts, tee shirt, shades and a WW II style trench helmet (seemed to be a modern, possibly carbon fibre copy). That helmet didn't cover anything except the top of his cranium, but he was obviously more interested in making a fashion statement than being protected.

Just as he pulled away (he was on a GSXR, WN style model), a car jumped the lights in the other direction and almost hit him. He braked, locked the front end and went down.

I will never forget seeing (and hearing) his head make contact with the base of a lamp post, right on the top, in the midle of the dome of the helmet.

He had some bad gravel rash to arms and legs, but he got up and was otherwise OK, but no doubt that that crappy stylistic helmet did save his life.

So now, all I'd say is that some form of protection will always be better than none.

• Like 2

bloke down our way limits his speed to 28kph and feels happy to use an old cullinder on his head...

Never had a problem.

I suppose the holes give a bit of ventilation. Do you know if he has ever come off, a 28 kph impact is still enough to kill you and I doubt a cullinder will absorb much impact, it will just end up with a big road shaped indentation !

He's very wise to limit his speed but is assuming he hits a stationary object.

He must look quite funny though.

SDM

PS, Great nick, this is the exact term I use to my colleagues to describe someone that is, what they say they are, with no BS, ie someone we want to deal with.

Edited by SDM0712

Difficult to justify spending 20,000 baht on a helmet just for riding around on a one month holiday. I think some of the cheaper safety certified helmets mentioned in this thread would provide good protection and the key thing is finding a good fit. In the past I've found chin straps uncomfortable so hope to find a more comfortable one.

Edited by edwardandtubs

anyone ever try one of the new Scorpion EXO R2000 helmets?

Not a fan of their graphics but have been reading rave reviews by many on

some of the forums I read.

They all say it is ultra comfy but also flows a lot of air.

I am headed off to a US vacation soon & hope I see one to try

Looks interesting

How much is your head worth?

People keep repeating that over and over again but where's the evidence that more money = more safety? Where's the evidence a Shoei would give better protection than a cheaper safety certified helmet for normal road use?

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Like 2

People keep repeating that over and over again but where's the evidence that more money = more safety? Where's the evidence a Shoei would give better protection than a cheaper safety certified helmet for normal road use?

there isnt any ,if theyre both certified to the same dot or snell standard

but the Shoei will be cooler ,lighter ,more comfrtable ,probably a better fit and design

and youl be more likely to wear it on hot days/ short trips etc

i use a real helmet because they get stolen once or twice a year and once i did come off on some sand spilled

and slid down the road on my face

helmet visor scratched to bits but since it was dot certified i got up ,dusted myself off and continued my journey

with just a pair or ripped jeans .shirt and bloody elbow and a few bruises to show for it

imagine i had no helmet or a 100 thb helmet with a pull down visor ........would have been lifechanging rather than being a bit

sore for a couple of weeks ......think about that when ur buying an unrated helmet in big C because its "so cheap"

• Like 2

Superior design and construction materials of a high quality helmet give greater impact protection and thus increased protection for the brain. I am the living evidence of that following a serious accident in England when I collided with a dozy pensioner's car that pulled out of a T junction into my path. I was told by the hospital A & E consultant that the high quality design of my crash helmet had limited my head trauma to severe concussion instead of fatal brain damage. You pays your money you takes your choice. I choose a severe headache any day of the week over being turned into a dribbling idiot sitting in a care home.

Superior design and construction materials of a high quality helmet give greater impact protection and thus increased protection for the brain.

You pays your money you takes your choice. I choose a severe headache any day of the week over being turned into a dribbling idiot sitting in a care home.

This is something that peaked my interest in the Scorpion EXO R2000 helmets

There are 17 riders in MotoGP using this helmet now

I imagine it has been thoroughly tested wink.png

Funny too the highest ranked rider Alvaro Bautista I use to call bowling ball

Bautista as he use to take out other riders in his crashes.

So I know it has been crash tested in real world experiences too... lol

Seems like a lot of helmet for under $400/13k baht

One of the main problems with cheaper helmets even if rated is

they use only one or two shell sizes for their whole line.

One shell for xsm/sm/med/ & one shell for lg/xl/xxl

Then they basically make different sizes thru interior pad thickness.

I notice this brand has 4 shell sizes for this EXO R2000 line

I imagine other higher end helmets do the same.

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Check motorbike racers at all competitions.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

You want evidence ?? Many people have told you the same thing over and over, with stories of their crashes and what they believed saved them.

You want data ?? Buy a cheapo helmet, have an accident, smash your head, and see if you can still post on this forum.

Then you will have the data that keeps on giving ...