Ducati Scrambler 2015

From various articles on the net, it looks like the new Scrambler will be produced both in Italy and Thailand.

Good news for us, especially since Ducati announced that it will be more affordable than the Monster. Monster 400k....Scrambler 350k?

Until now there aren't any official pictures of it, just a couple of 'spy shots', which to be honest, are not very reassuring.

A few magazines tried their hands on designing the new Duc from the spy-shot hints.

Personally, I'm very interested and would consider getting one, as long as it reflects the spirit of the old Scrambler. I really hope it won't be another modern looking bike with lots of plastic. (See attached pic)

This design doesn't look bad per se, but it hasn't got anything to do with a Scrambler.

We'll know more at the EICMA this autumn.

post-159090-0-22384500-1401088656_thumb.

Edited by OmegaRacer

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is a nice bike and idea from Ducati.

I know it is hard to speculate over a computer generated photo but one strange thing for a scrambler, exhaust is sitting so low, it has to be a lot higher according to the tradition but maybe duc wanted to go beyond the tradition i dont know but sure you damage that pipe with rocks etc.

Also, bike looks so low for a scramble as well and no knobbies? c'mon!

If they sell it for 350 k thb, it is a great deal but i am sure Ducati Thailand will get greedy and will sell it maybe 10 k thb less than 796 at the end if not higher just bc it is a different and new Ducati model!

Still, good to see another Ducati manufactured here. I wait for Ducati Panigale 899 though to be made in Thailand and available for 550 k thb!

Edited by ll2

Given that scrambling was the precursor to motocross one would expect it to look more like this

classic-ajs-scrambler-motorcycle-2452075

This is closer to my expectation

scrambler-motorcycle.jpg

Although Ducati would be that last manufacturer I would associate with the word scrambler.

It is like saying Ferrari SUV ... lord save us from bean counters

In my mind a scrambler has to be a retro bike (like the gorgeous yellow one in Omega Racers post above - or like the Triumph Bonneville) - otherwise the name makes no sense and it would end up being another Hypermotard. A "modern retro" like the BMW R Nine-T would be OK - not too much plastic and ideally with the older aircooled motor.

Slim, light, agile, upright - would be ideal for Thailand.

I am willing to bet there will be retro styling on that bike. After Ducati was hitting the retro trend way before its time (and those bikes weren't produced for very long) it would make sense to get serious about it again now, as retro is a huge market.

It's not gonna look like any of those renderings either, especially the one in the OP - Ducati isn't going to design something fugly like that. All their bikes are gorgeous. So chances are this one will be too ;)

Great news it will get made in Thailand! What's the rumored engine size? Is it going to be small?

I am willing to bet there will be retro styling on that bike. After Ducati was hitting the retro trend way before its time (and those bikes weren't produced for very long) it would make sense to get serious about it again now, as retro is a huge market.

It's not gonna look like any of those renderings either, especially the one in the OP - Ducati isn't going to design something fugly like that. All their bikes are gorgeous. So chances are this one will be too wink.png

Great news it will get made in Thailand! What's the rumored engine size? Is it going to be small?

Ducati Scramblers are light, nimble, affordable fun bikes. Affordable=small engines.

Edited by Nickymaster

i prefer the lightest and smallest engine at Ducati arsenal for such a bike which you most probably want to hit the trails.

So, i think they had a 400 cc engine before for Japanese market and other choice is 696 cc engine they use currently on Monster.

Traditionally, it has to be air cooled but how does it fare against very hot climates, i am not sure.

If they sell it less than 300 k thb, it will be a best seller here i am sure with lots of customization options.

i prefer the lightest and smallest engine at Ducati arsenal for such a bike which you most probably want to hit the trails.

So, i think they had a 400 cc engine before for Japanese market and other choice is 696 cc engine they use currently on Monster.

Traditionally, it has to be air cooled but how does it fare against very hot climates, i am not sure.

If they sell it less than 300 k thb, it will be a best seller here i am sure with lots of customization options.

Way back they produced a 400cc Ducati SS400, but the engine was a sleeved down 600 so it just added more weight and took away power from an already tired air cooled twin. Let's hope they've come up with something better than that!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah...seen it yesterday!

Actually, it looks better than I expected.I tried to keep the expectations low to avoid being disappointed.

The rear wheel hugger is not really the top, but the rest seems OK.

Now, how much do they want for it?

Got the teaser a while ago... this looks like it's going to be just great, a nice little simple retro bike. I only watched the video once but to me that engine sounds smaller than any existing production engines - maybe a 500?

I like the Scrambler above, although it's a modified Monster.

Reading some of the comments on Facebook, you would think the majority of people hate it, or just don't know what they're talking about. Probably both. What were they expecting? A 100% replica of the old Scrambler. Ain't gonna happen...and thankfully so. Don't get me wrong, I love the old Scrambler. My brother has a 450 and I ride it every time I'm back home, but it wouldn't be right to make a replica.

I think it's good as it is. I just hope they'll have a customization programm similar to the BMW RnineT, coz I'd like to see it with spoked tires.

Just read an article in an Italian online motorcycle magazine with some more exciting news about the new Scrambler. The news are not official, but still from a reliable source.

First of all, the Scrambler will be available in the first months of 2015.

There will be 2 displacements:

- an 800 2 valve L-twin (803cc), air cooled, from the Monster 796. It won't have the 87hp of the Monster, but more likely around 80/85hp to have more at low revs. Price is supposed to be around 7.500 to 8.000Euro.

- a 400 (!), but unsure if it will be a single or twin, with about 48hp (for the restricted A2 driving licence). Price between 6.000 and 6.500 Euro.

I like the Scrambler above, although it's a modified Monster.

Reading some of the comments on Facebook, you would think the majority of people hate it, or just don't know what they're talking about. Probably both. What were they expecting? A 100% replica of the old Scrambler. Ain't gonna happen...and thankfully so. Don't get me wrong, I love the old Scrambler. My brother has a 450 and I ride it every time I'm back home, but it wouldn't be right to make a replica.

I think it's good as it is. I just hope they'll have a customization programm similar to the BMW RnineT, coz I'd like to see it with spoked tires.

I agree, the idea should be to produce a modern bike that can capture the essence and feel of the old bike. Maybe they can take some design cues from the old bike but I don't think the aim should be to reproduce it.

It's pretty clear now what the bike will look like, I think it's slanted a bit too much towards the old bike and I would have preferred a slightly more modern design but I might be in the minority. I like it anyway, but I think the 796 engine is about right for this bike, a 400 learner bike would be weak and almost devalue the project. Of course, I am not a Ducati account I'm an enthusiast and I look forward to seeing the end product.

Just read an article in an Italian online motorcycle magazine with some more exciting news about the new Scrambler. The news are not official, but still from a reliable source.

First of all, the Scrambler will be available in the first months of 2015.

There will be 2 displacements:

- an 800 2 valve L-twin (803cc), air cooled, from the Monster 796. It won't have the 87hp of the Monster, but more likely around 80/85hp to have more at low revs. Price is supposed to be around 7.500 to 8.000Euro.

- a 400 (!), but unsure if it will be a single or twin, with about 48hp (for the restricted A2 driving licence). Price between 6.000 and 6.500 Euro.

possible mono version

post-6366-14030132252283_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk