Thai Customs for passengers travelling in and out of Thailand.

neverdie

insane indeed, but only in the opinion of poor little men whistling.gif

No, in my opinion too. Do you really think that's a typical tourist? Seriously, who travels to a wet, dirty country with the intention to wear a $250 pair of shoes? Fool, money, parted.

you forget that the "fool" who wears these kind of expensive shoes was "foolish" enough to make that money that he could afford their price.

seriously... can you afford a couple of $250 pairs of shoes? whistling.gif

• Like 2

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As part of the plan to lure quality tourists back to Thailand, the officer being interviewed clarified the situation by saying ....

"We decided to take down the notice in the INBOUND area as it was confusing and upsetting new arrivals. We left it up in the OUTBOUND area, because the tourists were leaving and we do not care if they are upset, because we've got them, and after they pay the tax, they get on the plane and leave..... What could possibly be wrong with this strategy?"

whistling.gif

As part of the plan to lure quality tourists back to Thailand, the officer being interviewed clarified the situation by saying ....

"We decided to take down the notice in the INBOUND area as it was confusing and upsetting new arrivals. We left it up in the OUTBOUND area, because the tourists were leaving and we do not care if they are upset, because we've got them, and after they pay the tax, they get on the plane and leave..... What could possibly be wrong with this strategy?"

whistling.gif

Funny right, how do you tax people while they are leaving? Crazy! There is no such thing. If you buy it in Thailand, taxes are already paid.

Arrive naked......problem solved

I was going to suggest this, but then thought, where does one keep one's passport & credit card?

guess

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand sky ohm. San nmfg

• Like 2

No these prices are VERY realistic.

I talk about brand name stuff not fake Chinese junk.

In that case you're not talking about the typical tourist, as your initial post had suggested.

I'd like to see the $250 pair of shoes that you use to go tramping around Ayutthaya.

post-186586-0-63829900-1404362405_thumb.

Burma GTX

Meindl is the daddy of walking boots. Having produced footwear in Germany for more than 300 years, the Burma is its best-known boot. It has a particularly superior grip, incredible ventilation and will stay faithful year after year.

£180

post-186586-0-72271600-1404362404_thumb.

Sportiva men's Trango S Evo

These are great all-rounder boots with a lightweight design and waterproof and breathable Cordura material upper support.

£225

and then go Hill-tribe trekking out of Chiang Rai

whistling.gif

Funny right, how do you tax people while they are leaving? Crazy! There is no such thing. If you buy it in Thailand, taxes are already paid.

They don't intend to tax outbound, never did, never intended to.

The notices are there, as they are in other airports (Narita is one), to let people going out know the rules about bringing items back into the country. And as such they are aimed more at Thai's than other nationalities.

Indeed since they are in Thai it would be reasonable to guess that Thai nationals are the target. ;)

I am new to this site and not aware of all the restrictions! I hope this is Ok!

Craig3365,

I am a US FAA pilot in Pattaya and would like to meet you! Where is your landing strip.

MustangP51

My absolute favorite plane! I'll send a PM.

What does that have to do with the thread topic?

you started it with your posting

Seriously, who travels to a wet, dirty country with the intention to wear a $250 pair of shoes? Fool, money, parted.

now tell us something more about "fools" who wear expensive shoes whistling.gif

• Like 2

Stop griping, for Pete's sake and read between the lines. The notice has gone. And so has the limit. Random checks mean no checks. So it's ok to flaunt your swanky watches and i-Pads and other expensive toys. Nobody cares. Zzzzzzzzzzzz.

What brings a tourist?

Suitcase hardshell B 10000

Sunglasses 2 pair. B15000

Camera. B15000

Few brand name

Shirts/ shorts. B20.000

Watch(no rolex). B20.000

Jewerly (no much). B80.000

Phone. B25.000

Tablet. B20.000

Cosmetics. B10.000

2 pair shoes. B15.000

Total. B240.000

That tourist is insane. $250 for a pair of sunglasses? $300 in cosmetics? Two thousand six hundred dollars in jewelry? Is he coming here for a Ray-Ban photo shoot with Zsa Zsa Gabor?

My kids buy Oakley sunglasses in the States for 250$ plus, and they are the clearance glasses. The prices listed are actually not very high these days.

you started it

Seriously, how old are you?

My kids buy Oakley sunglasses in the States for 250$ plus, and they are the clearance glasses. The prices listed are actually not very high these days.

Yes, thanks everybody. I am aware that expensive, high-end products do exist in this world. My original post in this thread, which I am now regretting, was merely to point out that I don't believe the average or typical tourist comes to Thailand with such accouterments.

The Philippines are looking more and more appealing every day, especially for those of an age qualifying for retirement. Hassle free come-and-go multiple entry, free to work, invest, buy land, etc. No fear of sleeping in or losing track of the stupid 90 day reporting obligation. No such thing as "Overstay" on retirement visa. One can relax and actually RETIRE. All these restrictions, rules and regulations contribute to stress, which kills more people than many realise. Now add the fear over what's in our luggage, or on our person, stuff that we have worked for and payed for with after-tax earnings, being scrutinised by ... what, who.

In my professional life I have used some top-shelf photographic equipment. Leica, Hasselblad, and Linhof cameras. (see my avatar) all be it they are film cameras, and all purchased used, they still look as new, and command good prices. Their manufacture dates from the 80s back to 1950! I still use them and will do, until I drop.
I guess I should make note of serial numbers, do some homework to document and verify their age. The receipts disappeared years ago.

Damned if I will pay a penny more tax on items I have owned for decades.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=can%20foreigners%20buy%20property%20in%20the%20philippines

Sorry, but you cannot own land in the PI as a non-citizen. However, it is very cheap to meet the retirement qualifications in comparison to LOS.

Stop griping, for Pete's sake and read between the lines. The notice has gone. And so has the limit. Random checks mean no checks. So it's ok to flaunt your swanky watches and i-Pads and other expensive toys. Nobody cares. Zzzzzzzzzzzz.

I think you're confused. Yes notice is gone but not the limits, there was no mention of the law being changed or cancelled.

Sent from one of my mobiles, whatever mobile it is.

• Like 1

The Bangkok Post has just put up an article saying this order is NOT going to be enforced. A new person has taken over, as of Monday, and made a statement on this late last night.

WHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You might say that common sense prevailed. My vote however goes to someone with some sort of connections saw his lucrative side business going up in smoke.

you started it

Seriously, how old are you?

Yes, thanks everybody. I am aware that expensive, high-end products do exist in this world. My original post in this thread, which I am now regretting, was merely to point out that I don't believe the average or typical tourist comes to Thailand with such accouterments.

Look how many folks travel with their silly $1000 iphones that are a show off for the most part than the tool of any sorts, what makes you think that if one person can afford the above mentioned gadget, the other person can't afford a pair of $250 shoes of sunglasses? Everyone have their own priorities...

Beside is a person from North America can afford to come to Thailand ($2000 round trip), they can surely afford some of the things that seem to shock you. There are plenty of Yanks and Canadians in Thailand and if they were on a budget, they'd be sitting in Mexico or Caribbean.

Entered Thailand 10 years never ask or check anything

Congratulations Sandwich,

I've never been to Thailand but I've seen a few brochures and a travel show once.

Apparently this is so ethi g which has just started in the last few days, so unless you've arrived to Thailand in the last couple of days Your comment adds absolutely no value to the thread but thanks for proving that you are a newbie to Thailand.

cheers.

Wasn't that travel show the one you woke me up with by snoring so loud.

• Like 1

What brings a tourist?

Suitcase hardshell B 10000

Sunglasses 2 pair. B15000

Camera. B15000

Few brand name

Shirts/ shorts. B20.000

Watch(no rolex). B20.000

Jewerly (no much). B80.000

Phone. B25.000

Tablet. B20.000

Cosmetics. B10.000

2 pair shoes. B15.000

Total. B240.000

That tourist is insane. $250 for a pair of sunglasses? $300 in cosmetics? Two thousand six hundred dollars in jewelry? Is he coming here for a Ray-Ban photo shoot with Zsa Zsa Gabor?

He is not the only one then

I travel with five or six pair of glasses which original prices range from 5,000 to 40,000 baht each

Jewellery ....ten times the above

And a couple of watches

No cosmetics though

What do you think? Everyone has different pleasures in life and wearing expensive stuff is one of them for some

Of course what might seem insane to you is bread/ rice for others

Would you consider insane owning a car for each day of the week ( I am talking Veyron , Lamborghini, Bentley )? I know some people here who do

It is their way of life

They don't even think in terms of affordability

But, of course, I understand that it is out of the grasp of most of us

I just read that they are considering raising the limit to 80,000 baht

Link?

I just read it in the paper everyone seems afraid to mention here (so I'm not going to), also a Thai friend told me - is not an official policy yet, but it sounds like the current director is open-minded and that the real target is those that are exploiting things. Another friend (also Thai) just came back and said everything was same as before.

I just read that they are considering raising the limit to 80,000 baht

Link?

I just read it in the paper everyone seems afraid to mention here (so I'm not going to), also a Thai friend told me - is not an official policy yet, but it sounds like the current director is open-minded and that the real target is those that are exploiting things. Another friend (also Thai) just came back and said everything was same as before.

No harm mentioning Bangkok Post, just no quotes or links.thumbsup.gif

No harm mentioning Bangkok Post, just no quotes or links.thumbsup.gifhey will also allow gifts

e.

Great to know that Rooo, I wasn't sure of the parameters, but if they go to Bangkok Post, they can find it easily.

In that case I hope they rework this law completely, as of now it's so vague, every customs official can bend it their way (for personal gain or whatever) and still be right.

Wite has been getting emails on this very issue from friends who want to move back to LOS. When we moved here 7 years ago, wife could ship household goods without any customs problems. These new regulations appear to eliminafe exemptions even for used personal goods, and would open uo a can of worms for any legitimate businessman relocating here with his family - or anyone working with an international organization, such as myself.

If LOS is going to impose tax on household goods as described, corporations or organizations will have two choices: 1) Compensate their employees for the additional expense; b)Move their offices to another country which does not have such onerous customs regulations.

Does anyone in TV know more about this? We just heard about it today, and I am trying to get details.

Cheers!

Thanks for posting on topic.

This is huge and has huge implications for people on this thread. I have attempted to make clarification calls on this to a customs contact I have, however I haven't had any success yet.

It could be a problem for me, as ATM I'm out of Thailand and it would seem as if they want me to return home naked as my wrist watch is 900,000 baht alone and that's before I smile at customs with my solid gold tooth or teethes (how do English write more than one tooth w. t . f.

Anyway, my point being, it may be easier to parachute in with my bags than to pass by customs who want me to pay tax on my Kelvin Klein g-strings & Julius Marlow snake skin shoes. What's the deal?

Teeth !! Be careful with the paracute you could be shot to dead before you reach the ground. sick.gifshock1.gif1zgarz5.gifSemper fi

• Like 1