Age gap in a relationship, how comfortable are you?

Somsrisonphimai

There's 30 years between me and my GF (I'm 53) and I'm comfortable with it. I wouldn't be going out with her (4 years so far) if I wasn't!

Woo so my future wife may not  even be born yet going by your statics blink.png

Edited by Siamsky
  • Like 1

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the Op.. What is the acceptable age difference between a married Thai man and his Mia noi?

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Do Thai woman have the male version of a 'Mia Noi'?

What would his name be?

The gardener, the builder, the handyman same as australia.

The office junior, the kids with mercedes at 'hiso' gatherings, the neighbour, the nephew.....
  • Like 1

45 year gap between me and my girlfriend, and I'm loving every minute. especially when it annoys guys half my age checking out my girl!

Guys and gals love looking at men who think their prostitutes are their girlfriends

• Like 2

You reckon, hmmmmmmmmmm, mid forties. Wish I was back there without your 15 year old brain matter. But hey, yes we are all different in thought but unfortunately you always seem to slag off older guys and YOU have not been there yet. Think you should back off a bit and listen to some music, music really does sort gray cells out, I say this cos you sound like an angry old man, and at 40 odd that is not a good sign. I suggest a musical interlude for you.......

15 year old grey matter, you say? Resort to insults all you like

I slag off old guys who, by virtue of their advanced years, OUGHT to know better.

Why? Because these are the same tools who end up crying into a shandy once their gymslip bride takes them for a fortune.
  • Like 1

15th.

A Taurus?

You 'ole Bull you ... what day?

Nobody is looking at my profile.

Nobody wished me happy Birthday.

That number on my profile hasn't moved for the past 4 years.

Should I sulk again?

May 15 is a very good birthday mate - you are in good company. wink.png

You are lying to me.

You were born 1st January 2010.

Just looked at your profile.

Why do people try to mislead me and pretend they share my Birth date?

• Like 1

You reckon, hmmmmmmmmmm, mid forties. Wish I was back there without your 15 year old brain matter. But hey, yes we are all different in thought but unfortunately you always seem to slag off older guys and YOU have not been there yet. Think you should back off a bit and listen to some music, music really does sort gray cells out, I say this cos you sound like an angry old man, and at 40 odd that is not a good sign. I suggest a musical interlude for you.......

I slag off old guys who, by virtue of their advanced years, OUGHT to know better.

Why? Because these are the same tools who end up crying into a shandy once their gymslip bride takes them for a fortune.

what's the old saying, better to have a fortune and lost it, than never to have had one at all? 

Now at your age 40+ something was it? A bit old isn't it to be strutten your stuff around nightclubs at 2 am then complaining about closing hours? Come on man, cut off the mullet and act your age :  jk ;)

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OP, you mention in your opening piece that "Thai society has accepted a large age gap in a relationship between younger Thai woman and older foreign man."

What exactly do you mean by "accepted?"  Accepted as a normal sort of thing?  I don't think that's true.  I think Thai society--like pretty much most other societies in the world--may "condone" it, but not necessarily accept it as the norm.  I myself prefer to date women typically 20 years younger than myself.  But I can sense that this is not the cultural norm.   

Pehaps she should have written, certain segments or certain locations accept it as the norm.

From where I live in Bkk, I look at the Thais around me, various age groups, but the average is probably less than 5 years difference.

All the Thai/Thai weddings I have attended, the bride is usually about 26-28 and the husband about 28-30 years old.

When visiting other parts of Thailand almost the same demographics are experienced.

Look at your inlaws and their partners.

I know of no Thai women living with guys 25+ years older than them.

When talking to my Thai nieces and their friends the thought of marrying an older man repulses them.

If you speak Thai listen to some of the coments normal Thais make.

I was on Suk rd the other week, the comment made was, looking she is taking her father for a walk, or in Thai, pa khun por bai tiaw.

Thanks for breaking up the creep-fest, mate.

I don't much care how much these old men want to delude themselves, it is NOT normal for a pensioner to be married to and breeding with a woman 20-40 years his junior.

The fact that Asians respect those of advanced age doesn't translate into a blanket endorsement of unions that produce offspring between 60 year-old overweight train wrecks in 50-inch waist khakis and 20-something local girls.

Next time you see one such couple - perhaps in your local Big C/Tesco Lotus - it'd be worth looking at how other Thais regard them.

In their view, the woman has demeaned and lowered herself for money.

I have written before about what I have observed in Tesco/Lotus or Big C On Nut.

Why do we never see these love birds pushing a trolley around and stacking up on frozen peas or the like.

They are usually observed at either,

a, the atm

b, the gold shop

c, the electronics section as the old goat is pulling out the readies to buy his teerak the latest i phone.

d, the liquor section, as the old goat stocks up on Chang and Sam Song.

Yes the smirks and remarks from other Thais is amusing, they know exactly whats taking place.

My favourite is watching these old goats trying to curry favour and ingratiate themselves with the locals, the dumb sap doesnt even realise he is buying drinks for the girls boyfriend and his buddies.

Much better than watching the mind numbing lakorn on the telly, soi theatre at its finest.

Hmmmmm, I hear different to your crap ,

"She has a really hansum farang, drat, why haven't I got one".

PS. Farang eves droppers to me are a bit weird, but I think your post is rolox..........laugh.png

There's 30 years between me and my GF (I'm 53) and I'm comfortable with it. I wouldn't be going out with her (4 years so far) if I wasn't!

Woo so my future wife may not  even be born yet going by your statics blink.png

...right, just mind the gap.

• Like 1

I just have to respond to this. The OP must be Thai because.......only a Thai person would give a shit about what other people think of them. I know that as a Falang I could care less about what others think of me. What I think of me matters. We as westerners don't seem to carry that baggage they call face, and I am damn proud of that. I hope this provides some clarity.
  • Like 1

what's the old saying, better to have a fortune and lost it, than never to have had one at all? 

Now at your age 40+ something was it? A bit old isn't it to be strutten your stuff around nightclubs at 2 am then complaining about closing hours? Come on man, cut off the mullet and act your age :  jk wink.png

OK let's see

40+ yr old guy in a club enjoying music and a bevy with friends

versus

60+ yr old guy waddling around supermarket buying big ticket items for a Thai woman 30+ years his junior

Who looks more ridiculous?

Hmmm, dunno

I only read the first two lines and my instant response is that hit song by Abba " Money Money Money " I do not think there is a song about ATMs I also see a lot of T-Shirts " No Money No Honey " never a true word was spoken !!

Yes, but on the other hand the t-shirt with the text .....same same but different....can keep the mind boggling !

Can you imagine a t-shirt with 'similar' instead on it? Just wouldn't have the same effect!

Hmmm.. but more comforting...for many...

To answer post #90, sounds way to HiSo for me, I usally try and avoid pretensious t(a)wats.

You should broaden your horizons, turn off your spy cam and visit took LA dee at foodland in Pattaya for a dose of reality and pretentious ness.

The fact that Asians respect those of advanced age doesn't translate into a blanket endorsement of unions that produce offspring between 60 year-old overweight train wrecks in 50-inch waist khakis and 20-something local girls.

My waist is 33", I'm 6' tall nearly 60 and weigh 74Kg.
Can I play with a 20YO?

Demeaning?
Depends on skin color and relative social status, if she was dark and poor, while he was light and rich.
Many would consider him demeaning himself.

Along these lines, years ago in Issan I was flirting with an interested 20 year old. 

New to the game, I asked her, "Why would you want an old man?"

Her response, "Why would you want a girl with dark skin?"

• Like 2

Now at your age 40+ something was it? A bit old isn't it to be strutten your stuff around nightclubs at 2 am then complaining about closing hours? Come on man, cut off the mullet and act your age :  jk wink.png

OK let's see

versus

60+ yr old guy waddling around supermarket buying big ticket items for a Thai woman 30+ years his junior

Hmmm, dunno

Sorry, I was wrong, your not 15, nearer 13, probably with a stick on hairy chest and a medallion....

I cannot believe you wrote that crap, do you know why, nobody gives a shit about other folk except you.......facepalm.gif ..........You really must get a life and think about that life and forget about stuff you seem to have a thing about.....Theres a good chap...thumbsup.gif

I just have to respond to this. The OP must be Thai because.......only a Thai person would give a shit about what other people think of them. I know that as a Falang I could care less about what others think of me. What I think of me matters. We as westerners don't seem to carry that baggage they call face, and I am damn proud of that. I hope this provides some clarity.

And that mentality is fine if you're with a Thai woman with the strength of character to ignore the urge to save face

What happens when you're in a situation where what other Thais think impacts negatively upon you or your partner.

I've seen young women with old Westerners brought to tears by teasing from their peers.

If you only care about yourself then I guess that wouldn't bother you at all

Bravo, mate. Bravo

rolleyes.gif 

To answer Trans post #97.

Nothing rolox about it.

Nothing wrong with a bit of banter with the locals.

If you were able to speak Thai you would understand whats being said.

How many years is it now you have lived here and still not able to string a sentance together?

Makes me wonder how you are able to hear different.

Maybe its your post thats rolox.

• Like 1

Sorry, I was wrong, your not 15, nearer 13, probably with a stick on hairy chest and a medallion....

I cannot believe you wrote that crap, do you know why, nobody gives a shit about other folk except you.......

Says the bloke with a penis extension V8

Priceless

Whilst I don't consider myself old" although some may, but who gives a fk I'm hovering around the big50 ish,, looks to me from reading a lot of the replies, the bigger % of replies who have issues with older/younger relationships seem to be the younger guns,,, could it be that many of the so called oldies have something on the younger generation and maybe have better ways of treating a woman other than the general conception by some of providing financial security? Sure financial security is of importance but it's not the be all end all

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 1

To answer post #90, sounds way to HiSo for me, I usally try and avoid pretensious t(a)wats.

You should broaden your horizons, turn off your spy cam and visit took LA dee at foodland in Pattaya for a dose of reality and pretentious ness.

The branch in Suk soi 5 last week was an eye opener.

It was a dose of reality, elderly lotharios with the best of what lower Suk has to offer in tow.

OK let's see

versus

Hmmm, dunno

Ok let's see 40+ year old guy with 30 year old wife and 2 young sons shopping for food

versus

40+ year old guy, with bevy in hand, chest out, standing at the back of the nighclub eyeing 20+ year old good girls who speak perfect English.

yes, I am starting to see things your way....

I see a lot of guys making comments like this (could care less what others think), but I wonder if they're just saying it for effect.  Because deep down, we all care...unless we're social hermits.  Imagine walking down Pattaya and a bunch of tourists pointing and snickering at you and your Thai wife, intimating that your wife is a hooker, I would think that might bother you a little bit.  But then, maybe not.

• Like 1

The branch in Suk soi 5 last week was an eye opener.

It was a dose of reality, elderly lotharios with the best of what lower Suk has to offer in tow.

but yet too pretentious for you? Try Suk 16 next time. ;)

• Like 1

OK let's see

versus

Hmmm, dunno

Ok let's see 40+ year old guy with 30 year old wife and 2 young sons shopping for food

versus

40+ year old guy, with bevy in hand, chest out, standing at the back of the nighclub eyeing 20+ year old good girls who speak perfect English.

yes, I am starting to see things your way....

James.. you look far more ridiculous someone of your standing should let the maid do the shopping. And ditch the truck get merc.