anything cheaper than swift

hi just wondered if anyone knows of a cheaper way to transfere money from the uk to thailand, swift transfere will only allow 10,000 pounds per day means i have to do 5 transfere's to= the 50,000 pounds i need, it will cost around 200 pounds and will take a week

Are you sure the limit is GBP 10.000 ?

IMHO the GBP 10k Limit is the limit when they start checking for money laundering and nothing else (but I could be wrong)

Edited by MJCM

IMHO the GBP 10k Limit is the limit when they start checking for money laundering and nothing else (but I could be wrong)

thats what natwest told me today

If you talk to your bank (manager not teller) and tell them you want to send £100k or whatever to another account and you have enough in your account then they should do so - however they may require written permission. I had to do this with Lloyds. If not then you need to complain.

I think the max debit card amount used to be £10k but I am sure even that has increased?

If you talk to your bank (manager not teller) and tell them you want to send £100k or whatever to another account and you have enough in your account then they should do so - however they may require written permission. I had to do this with Lloyds. If not then you need to complain.

I think the max debit card amount used to be £10k but I am sure even that has increased?

Quick Google search - http://personal.natwest.com/personal/travel-international/international-payments/sending-money-abroad.html

in which it says (as part of that page)

"We have a wide range of transfer methods for you to choose from, including:

- Relay - up to £2,000 in local currency single or regular payments

- Standard transfer - any amount, any currency to any country

- Urgent transfer - any amount, any currency to any country to arrive 1-2 working days

- Foreign draft - single payment, but by post so less secure"

NatWest will do a single Swift transfer up to at least GBP100,000 but for security reasons they wont do it online. You have to contact your branch and get them to process it manually. Makes sense to me.

Another option that was suggested to me by NatWest online support was to do multiple transfers via online banking and get the extra Swift charges refunded, which they were very willing to do. But those transfers would still go on consecutive days which may not be convenient for you.

my bank only allows max.of 10k.but that is online.nat west used to be part of the same group r.b.s.

if you live in thailand and want a large amount trans.you have to set up a system with your bank.

if you are well known at the bank someone will do it for you.

then get someone at home to give them a box of thorntons.

Why not doing it through the Bangkok Bank in the UK. As far as I know this would be the most efficient way to do it. In the UK it is just a local transfer. Not sure about the commission Bangkok Bank is taking but they will transfer it directly to your Bangkok Bank account in Thailand.

SWIFT has NO limits. the limit is set by your "bank".

Barclays UK don't have a limit, or not one that I've ever reached with transfers exceeding ₤10,000.

Their SWIFT transfers are expensive though Bangkok Bank make up for it to some extent with their very good exchange rates.

If you have a Bangkok Bank Account in Thailand then this is the way to go .... http://www.bangkokbank.com/bangkokbank/personalbanking/dailybanking/transferingfunds/transferringintothailand/receivingfundsfromuk/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUK.aspx

And if you don't have one then you should get one because again, this is the way to go.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn
  • Like 1

If you have a Bangkok Bank Account in Thailand then this is the way to go .... http://www.bangkokbank.com/bangkokbank/personalbanking/dailybanking/transferingfunds/transferringintothailand/receivingfundsfromuk/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUK.aspx

And if you don't have one then you should get one because again, this is the way to go.

Absolutely.