Initial DNA test clears Koh Tao village headman's son of murder

webfact

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP says:

DNA test conducted by the Police hospital has cleared the son of the influential village headman on Koh Tao of any involvement in the murder of two British tourists on the island in mid-September.

How can a DNA test clear someone "of any involvement in a murder"? It just shows that there was no matching DNA found (assuming the test samples were "handled correctly").

That's the problem from the start. No one invovled in the investigation has any clue what a proper investigation consists of. They are used to making wild comments for local consumption, and now that their statements are being questioned by international media as well as world wide social media they are lost.

That is how I recall it being reported. Maybe we should not believe all we read, or maybe we should. Have I missed something?

I seem to remember at the start of this case the DNA samples had to be sent to Singapore because Thailand did not have the expertise to test them. But now the police can do it in 24 hours and also there are another 3 places that are also testing.

I hope that the comparison is not done only against the DNA found in the victim but also against the DNA from the found condom and from around her nipples.. Or is that too much to expect?

Chris

Unfortunately - this VERY QUICK result can - as I mentioned before - carry no credibility. If the crime scene had been treated in an appropriate manner right from the start and due process followed, then tests could be accepted. however the conclusions one draws from comparisons must also be viewed scientifically - DNA is Not a panacea of proof....they need professional comparison - of the kind I doubt actually exists in Thailand.

Now it is a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

In the end ALL initial samples of DNA and their analysis must have a pall of doubt over it.....as far as the claims on test goes ..... well they would, wouldn't they????

now you are simply trolling. What is the source for your claims that those people did not know where he was for a week?

Hint: you won't be able to supply a source.

lets just make a note that you dont dispute that the guy went into hiding and try to move on

Hiding? That is your characterization. Was in BKK. Contacted the police on his own after obtaining a lawyer and exculpatory evidence, would be my characterization.

I did know you wouldn't give a source. It simply wasn't true.

I'm not entirely sure images from CCTV at his condo timestamped anywhere between 4-7 hours after the incident is exculpatory evidence, given you could travel from KT to BKK in that time period.

That is the problem. He was never properly cleared, so speculation about why he was never properly cleared continues to mount. Made worse by the DNA sampling comedy, where he purchases a DNA sample at four hospitals for his own use and then announces that he has been cleared. The DNA sampling being conducted on the boy is not a part of the investigation, it is simply a diversion. The hospitals won't release the results as they were purchased by the family involved. These guys just keep digging their own holes and wonder why they are sinking...

now you are simply trolling. What is the source for your claims that those people did not know where he was for a week?

lets just make a note that you dont dispute that the guy went into hiding and try to move on

Hiding? That is your characterization. Was in BKK. Contacted the police on his own after obtaining a lawyer and exculpatory evidence, would be my characterization.

call it differing characterizations if it makes you happy, now lets see if we can move on. Hint: you wont find it easy

• Like 1

You don't have to be. You are assuming that is the only evidence that the police investigation in BKK revealed.

BTW from KT to BKK takes more than 4 hours. First off you must get to Samui or Chumpon then wait for a plane then get from the airport to the university.

OK, let's look at this in your 'uniquely ' way: So, the police have more evidence that he was indeed in BKK but despite all the finger pointing and slating of him and the police, they decide it to keep it to themselves. Nobodies business after all, right?! Even as doing so, reputations of both parties get dragged further down the pit. They had phone records, CCTV videos, flight records etc. all along.

Mmmmmm, funny ole world the way we all see things so, so differently!

I'm not entirely sure images from CCTV at his condo timestamped anywhere between 4-7 hours after the incident is exculpatory evidence, given you could travel from KT to BKK in that time period.

You don't have to be. You are assuming that is the only evidence that the police investigation in BKK revealed.

I dont recall that the police revealed any information as to why they cleared him, thats why he is having to clear himself. all we know is he disappeared for several days when he was the main suspect and didnt come out till he was cleared

Edited by slygeeza

call it differing characterizations if it makes you happy, now lets see if we can move on. Hint: you wont find it easy

Yet you still can't provide a source for your repeated claims. So yes, I am done with your claims.

BTW from KT to BKK takes more than 4 hours. First off you must get to Samui or Chumpon then wait for a plane then get from the airport to the university.

OK, let's look at this in your 'uniquely ' way: So, the police have more evidence that he was indeed in BKK but despite all the finger pointing and slating of him and the police, they decide it to keep it to themselves. Nobodies business after all, right?! Even as doing so, reputations of both parties get dragged further down the pit. They had phone records, CCTV videos, flight records etc. all along.

Not funny at all. The police stated he was not a suspect. Not their job to defend him. That is why his father is considering legal action against rumor mongering.

• Like 1

Some are saying that the UK cops need to get involved or that they should've been at the DNA test yesterday and observed and followed the sample etc. This is my two cents.

The bodies were returned to the UK. If DNA was still present in or on the bodies, do you think Scotland Yard will have a copy?

Do you think Scotland Yard have requested DNA samples from the two Burmese suspects?

If you can aswer yes to the above, you have the reasons why they are saying nothing.Yet. They may be waiting to see if their results (if any) match those of the RTP. It may be fan, hit and sh..t if they don't match.

I've always maintained that although the case looks a biy iffy, that I'm not sure that the Burmese guys are innocent. I still think any statements by Scotland Yard will be what may are waiting for. But you'll have to wait...they don't go mouthing off until they're pretty certain.

IIRC, the UKP's brief was to determine the innocence or guilt of the Burmese suspects, and not to investigate as to whom might be guilty. If so, then the taking of Nomsod's DNA would be outside of their brief. That would explain their obvious absence when the DNA samples were being taken.

Some are saying that the UK cops need to get involved or that they should've been at the DNA test yesterday and observed and followed the sample etc. This is my two cents.

The bodies were returned to the UK. If DNA was still present in or on the bodies, do you think Scotland Yard will have a copy?

Do you think Scotland Yard have requested DNA samples from the two Burmese suspects?

If you can aswer yes to the above, you have the reasons why they are saying nothing.Yet. They may be waiting to see if their results (if any) match those of the RTP. It may be fan, hit and sh..t if they don't match.

I've always maintained that although the case looks a biy iffy, that I'm not sure that the Burmese guys are innocent. I still think any statements by Scotland Yard will be what may are waiting for. But you'll have to wait...they don't go mouthing off until they're pretty certain.

IIRC, the UKP's brief was to determine the innocence or guilt of the Burmese suspects, and not to investigate as to whom might be guilty. If so, then the taking of Nomsod's DNA would be outside of their brief. That would explain their obvious absence when the DNA samples were being taken.

its pretty obvious that taking the samples wasnt faked, they dont really need to witness that

That is the problem. He was never properly cleared, so speculation about why he was never properly cleared continues to mount. Made worse by the DNA sampling comedy, where he purchases a DNA sample at four hospitals for his own use and then announces that he has been cleared. The DNA sampling being conducted on the boy is not a part of the investigation, it is simply a diversion. The hospitals won't release the results as they were purchased by the family involved. These guys just keep digging their own holes and wonder why they are sinking...

Not properly cleared is speculation that flies in the face of the fact that he has been cleared.

NO,it's not fact at all! Verified samples? verified by whom? Absolute dog and pony show as you well know it. The DNA is all the police have, absolutely nothing else. The case keeps getting sent back , so there;s obviously problems with the legitimacy of their only so called evidence. Which part of that reality don't you seem able to grasp?/

I really feel something is very wrong with the case.

BUT ... if the kid did do something, and fled the island, think of all the potential whistle blowers. Someone posted earlier the list of all the people that would be involved in such a cover up. It's a lot. One would have to continually keep paying off these people for their silence as the case grows bigger ... not just once. I just can't see the possibility of nobody "flipping".

But someone else is very likely involved in this horrendous crime that has not been accounted for. I don't know who?

I hope Thailand some day realizes how strongly we are affected by this unfortunate event. The brutality of the crime is equivalent with a beheading, and it pains everyone to see justice being fumbled around with so recklessly with the thought of the true culprit escaping the consequences.

I was quite satisfied living in Thailand up until this event. But, I'm deeply disturbed by the whole thing. I'm finishing my contract and getting out of this country.

• Like 1

You may want to check what they were sent to Thailand to do. Observe. Check into allegations of torture. Look at the case. They were never sent to determine guilt or innocence.

Nomsod - damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

I admire CSI LA's intent to reveal the truth in this case.

Unfortunately though, his/her posts give far more weight to one side - that of a cover-up.

He's made many statements that indicate he/she is extremely biased and this has affected the credibility of his/her subsequent remarks.

Think about how many dedicated followers of that site have been posting day after day for many weeks. So many have been trying to discredit Nomsod but there has been not one shred of proof to show he was on the island at the time of the murders. Nomsod is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. What do people want from him now? His phone records? If these were published, just imagine the cries of protest, "The family has paid someone to doctor them!" He just can't win.

Again, CSI LA, publish some proof rather than speculation. Fact is, no proof exists. Maybe there's a reason for this.

• Like 2

So, the father is going to come after all of us that have commented about this.

Bring it on. He may be the big balls on his pissy little island

But not out in the big bad world. Does he speak all of the mothertongues of the countries he wants to attack.

When the Bestest country in the world police come round to arrest me we shall probably sit down and have a drink and laugh that some pillock in thailand is arresting me because i did what..... spoke my mind.

Just makes me want to say more about this shambles.

I-m so frightened i may have to hide underneath my bed.

Edited by Patsycat

Not funny at all. The police stated he was not a suspect. Not their job to defend him. That is why his father is considering legal action against rumor mongering.

You are right for once , it is not their job. They are though aren't they, as are you! Why?

I really feel something is very wrong with the case.

BUT ... if the kid did do something, and fled the island, think of all the potential whistle blowers. Someone posted earlier the list of all the people that would be involved in such a cover up. It's a lot. One would have to continually keep paying off these people for their silence as the case grows bigger ... not just once. I just can't see the possibility of nobody "flipping".

But someone else is very likely involved in this horrendous crime that has not been accounted for. I don't know who?

I hope Thailand some day realizes how strongly we are affected by this unfortunate event. The brutality of the crime is equivalent with a beheading, and it pains everyone to see justice being fumbled around with so recklessly with the thought of the true culprit escaping the consequences.

I was quite satisfied living in Thailand up until this event. But, I'm deeply disturbed by the whole thing. I'm finishing my contract and getting out of this country.

the head of police has threatened whistle blowers with five year imprisonment and 100,000 baht fine, but they are posting on foreign based forums, its all they can do

minimum of 72 hours but after all this is amazing Thailand

I was under the believe that Proper DNA tests take a fair time to process and should be done in Forensic Laboratory.....all this rushed testing is crap and the pommy cops should insist on a proper forensic test, not just some local thai hospital.....

http://intrensic.blogspot.com/2009/06/why-does-dna-testing-take-so-long.html ..confirms this....thumbsup.gif

Apparently if the most advanced equipment is used it can take as little as 4 hours as mentioned in this article. What's not apparent is, does Thailand employ this technology and have capability to carry out such processing and testing. This article talks about USA and UK and was written about four years ago. http://www.gizmag.com/rapid-dna-testing/15950/

A DNA does not say who were the murder - murders !!

and who were beside;

It just says his DNA does not fit with the DNA which police said, it is from the lady !!

nothing else !!

Still the question, whoms DNA are inside of the Condom ??

Or someone of the local RTP took it already for a 2nd hand use ??

How does this DNA result clear him of murder, it might clear him of any sexual contact with the girl, certainly not clear him of any other involvement. What a useless and stupid headline / statement.

Have to agree.

He still could have been the one that did the killing...but not the screwing.

How does this DNA result clear him of murder, it might clear him of any sexual contact with the girl, certainly not clear him of any other involvement. What a useless and stupid headline / statement.

Have to agree.

He still could have been the one that did the killing...but not the screwing.

He was cleared before the DNA test. He was in BKK.