Elvis Presley's first recording to be sold

Lite Beer

Elvis Presley's first recording to be sold

The first record Elvis Presley ever made is to be sold at auction.

Presley made the recording as a present for his mother - but the family did not have a record player

In June 1953, an 18-year-old Presley went to the Memphis Recording Service to record My Happiness and That's When Your Heartaches Begin onto acetate.

He wanted to find out what his voice sounded like on record and paid $4 for the session.

He returned to record sessions for Sun Records the following year and went on to become the "king of rock 'n' roll". The auction will take place in January.

Read More: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-30042815

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-11-14

When I was child, Elvis was already considered passé musically. In fact, I thought of him more as a movie star than a musician. I kind of liked him in those beach movies. I have never understood the passion that he evokes from fans to this day, but kids today probably don't understand why I worship the Beatles and Rolling Stones.

• Like 1

When I was child, Elvis was already considered passé musically. In fact, I thought of him more as a movie star than a musician. I kind of liked him in those beach movies. I have never understood the passion that he evokes from fans to this day, but kids today probably don't understand why I worship the Beatles and Rolling Stones.

There are probably many, many things about you that people don't understand!

The first record I ever owned was an old 78 RPM with Elvis singing "Love Me Tender". He also did a lot of religious songs, so in spite of his reputation, he had a pretty broad base of music that was enjoyed by a wide range of people.

There are probably many, many things about you that people don't understand!

The first record I ever owned was an old 78 RPM with Elvis singing "Love Me Tender". He also did a lot of religious songs, so in spite of his reputation, he had a pretty broad base of music that was enjoyed by a wide range of people.

Plus he recorded near 500 songs.....thumbsup.gif

Many of those songs most of us have never heard....

or want to hear....biggrin.png

Depends how old "you' are l suppose. Confess I lived through the Punk Rock era, which to me was appalling, you might think it great, I would never run you down for liking it but you must admit that that stuff is now forgotten and Elvis stuff still lives on with all ages..

My first record was a gift from my folks. Rolling Stones High Tide and Green Grass. I probably know all the lyrics to all the songs.

Back ton topic.....I wonder if the record has ever been played or is it mint as hinted at in the article. Has it been copied?

If it is mint and never heard, it could be worth over the half mill mentioned.

or want to hear....biggrin.png

Depends how old "you' are l suppose. Confess I lived through the Punk Rock era, which to me was appalling, you might think it great, I would never run you down for liking it but you must admit that that stuff is now forgotten and Elvis stuff still lives on with all ages..

I though punk sucked too, but really liked New Wave. The only song I liked by Elvis was "In the Ghetto". I don't think it is very popular with his hard core fans.