I'm not a dictator, says angry Prayut

Lite Beer

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha asserted yesterday that his government was not dictatorial although he admitted that it "may not be 100 per cent democratic".

"I may not be 100 per cent democratic. But I want to ask if being 100 per cent democratic did anything good to the country? Find the answer for me," he added, appearing tense.

Thaksin supporters should like this guy, they have very much the same opinions of democracy, after all who said "democracy was never the end goal". At least Prayut wants democracy someday.

Let's be honest many Thais just abuse the system under the word Democracy and haven't really got a clue to the true meaning. Now sprout we want it back (To abuse it again for self-interest ).

Like it or not this might be the only way for now.

In one thing i agree with general.What is the use of democracy in thailand?

Because of vote buying,corruption,rich beyond possible officials,politicians who make laws to hide their own crimes..criminals who the law wont touch.

you could go on forever but doesnt matter if the people get to voted in who they want. Will still just be different pigs in the same troff.

One thing that you can say...at least in a Thai style democracy they can trow out a government which is proven to be rotten and destroying the country..dont have to keep them full term to do more damage.

Australia threw out one of their democratically elected prime miniters in history

Actually it was the English who threw out gough whitlam. The Queen of England signed off and the Governor General Acted on behalf of England.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland to be technically correct, but hey everybody else in the world calls it England, no wonder the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish get seriously p****d off

Nah, that one was all on the English.

"Empire and all that old boy".

Funny enough, some of us still peed off at parts of the world they still occupy.....

Let's be honest many Thais just abuse the system under the word Democracy and haven't really got a clue to the true meaning. Now sprout we want it back (To abuse it again for self-interest ).

You should not underestimate the intelligence of average somchai though. Just because everything seems 'same same but different', there is another, rather distinct, generation popping out and keying more than just self benefit, out there. The issue here is what does the proginy get to inherit. Much the same rigid evolution that was witnessed within China during the last decade or two. One is wise to see beyond his nose :)

• Like 2

Not to predict the future here, but it has always been 'the interest of the people' (and often done either with the support of the layman or 'with the support of the layman') that has lifted the 'D' types to their reign. xsleep.png.pagespeed.ic.vIsRP_3VHZ.png

Good idea, just use the letter 'D'.... Oh wait...it coul be ifficult to emonstrate opinions if the leaer or Thaivisa bans the letter ' '.

I'm beginning to think this new leaer is a ick.

Or he's a silly bunt

You should not underestimate the intelligence of average somchai though. Just because everything seems 'same same but different', there is another, rather distinct, generation popping out and keying more than just self benefit, out there. The issue here is what does the proginy get to inherit. Much the same rigid evolution that was witnessed within China during the last decade or two. One is wise to see beyond his nose :)

You may well be right my friend and I do hope so...

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha asserted yesterday that his government was not dictatorial although he admitted that it "may not be 100 per cent democratic".

"I may not be 100 per cent democratic. But I want to ask if being 100 per cent democratic did anything good to the country? Find the answer for me," he added, appearing tense.

Thaksin supporters should like this guy, they have very much the same opinions of democracy, after all who said "democracy was never the end goal". At least Prayut wants democracy someday.

...Just as long as the correct people are voted for.

"He also warned that the students future could be jeopardized if they had a problem with the law"

Care to clarify that one?

Is that a veiled threat to these young law students and other students that your future is on the line if you protest?

Stop reporting bad things about me, AND STOP CALLING ME A DICTATOR.....

Attitude,

adjustment of thinking

meetings in army camps

Certain books

three fingered salute

certain movies

free media

family's wealth

93% are happy

almost all the rice is rotten

if you ask those questions YOU will destabilize the country

you can't criticize me

if you not beautiful then you can wear a bikini on the beach

My rings have names

Edited by aussieinthailand

"In sports, athletes must play by the rules while the referees or the judges are the ones enforcing these rules," he said. "On the other hand, the organiser is the one who makes sure that everyone involved in the competition, including the fans, are safe."

really...

Can someone help me out, please?

Just what exactly is the good general hoping to achieve whilst in power?

The attitudes of the general populace is not going to change anytime soon - surely we all know that? It would take at least a generation - after some serious political changes and implementation of functional democratic institutions, for this country to be anywhere near "reform".

The problem is - 99% of Thais are alike, in that they are badly educated - and even the ones who were educated overseas, for the most part, kept themselves in a little Asian bubble and didn't even bother trying to integrate into the culture they were visiting.

The system isn't corrupt - corruption IS the system.

In-depth studies have highlighted and shown that the roots of corruption in S.E Asia, ( thailand especially) are generations old and extremely deep-rooted, so as not to be easily expunged.

True democracy will NEVER be in place in Thailand - at least, not like it is in the West - it's just not possible.

However - you can't muzzle the press and forbid people having an opinion - that's childish.

I'm just going to sit back and watch the drama unfold, and have an exit strategy ready for when all these childish natives decided to have an all out ruckus.

Because that IS coming - we all know it, and we all know why.

• Like 1

I think people should step back and look at the situation when the coup occurred. A corrupt government and the country spiralling towards civil war. If anybody believes Thailand was a true democracy before the coup they are sadly mistaken. Being a good politician is a contradiction in terms. Things may not be perfect but they are a damn sight better than they were 12 months ago.

Agree with you for the most part - but can you expand on your last sentence?

How?

Just because no-one's demonstrating in the streets ( not that that harmed anyone) .

I don't think anything has actually CHANGED - and I mean really changed, at all.

• Like 2

It is looking like 2015 will be a year of discontent. The Junta seems to be at sea which will worsen the situation. They speak in vague generalities which would suggest it wants to linger as long as possible. Not 100% democratic and not a D. A little vague ?

When foreign governments say they understand the situation in Thailand, that does not mean they are sympathetic.

Doesn't matter what term he uses to describe his non-elected rise to power. What does matter, and will be well remembered, is the point in time when he lost the trust and support of the law abiding majority. That point in time was when he rewarded and heaped praise on a proudly corrupt police force for successfully finding scape goats and then threatening anybody(and mainly those that helped with early investigative efforts) that discusses the travesty of justice.

Dictatorship or not, there is no questioning that the guy is a bully, and as recent revelations show, is just as slimy as the clan he booted out. Quite why they didn't pick somebody with morals and without hundreds of millions of very questionable baht in the bank to "clean up" the country is a mystery. A complete own goal, and this one didn't hit the crossbar.

wonderful, your comment. But don't forget: it's a big game betweeen some clans. Who will get the power next? It's not about democracy to the people.....sad.png

• Like 1

"The government and the NCPO have never thought of using force towards the press, but all we are seeking is your cooperation and respect for the law," he said."

Crikey - what about the lawfully elected government?

Quite a good point. Unfortunately it was the elected government breaking the law or at the very least letting the law be broken without holding the law breakers responsible. Of course they did hold the people with differing view points to them responsible. This is not equal protection under the law which happens to be a principle of democracy.

That my friend is one of many reasons why reform is needed.

Unless of course you preferred the daily terrorist attacks done with impunity killing innocent people because yingluck was elected?

• Like 2

A true reform needs to happen in an atmosphere of dialogue with the participation of people from all walks, Thai society is not used to dialogue and to accept other people's opinion without feeling defeated or lost face. It can not happen if it's done by a group of pseudo enlightened self absorbed people.

Or with other wors:

A true reform nees to happen in an atmosphere of ialogue with the participation of people from all walks, Thai society is not use to ialogue and to accept other people's opinion without feeling efeated or lost face. It can not happen if it's one by a group of pseuo enlightene self absorbe people.

wai2.gif

Note to the PR people for the general .

Please engage brain before putting mouth into gear!

Clearly the three finger salute and the detention of the 5 students and their attitude adjustment session has backfired on the general and the junta.

Get use to it general the press wants their freedom of speech back and the country wants their democracy back.

He's not happy these days because he is now waking up to the fact that the 93% popularity polls are just propaganda fantasies and the more the junta crackdown the more criticism he's getting from both in and outside Thailand.

Democracy mightn't be the best system general but it sure as he'll beats whatever runs second!

.....the country wants their democracy back. So remind me again,when did Thailand ever have real democracy ? You need an intelligent population for that, one that votes with its head and not its wallet ( doesn't even work that well in the west ) The General is not very good with public relations but then he has never in the past had to be. The ''democratic process'', such as it is in Thailand needs a holiday and it is getting it. I believe that he is trying to stabilize the country before a return to ''democracy Thai style'' and trying to build in safeguards so that the chaos bought about by populist policies is brought to an end as far as possible. I think that for a short time anyway Thai politics will be better than it was before once democracy is re-established.

He is an arch conservative and wants the status quo for those '' up there'' and those ''down there'' that is something that the Thai's must work out for themselves against a solid democratic background. When the inevitable change comes it shouldn't involve anarchy. The future of the elephant in the room could be the big game changer.