TAT: New Year tourist number jumps across Thailand

webfact

TAT: New Year tourist number jumps across country

BANGKOK, 7 January 2015 (NNT) – The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has indicated that the tourism sector has enjoyed an arrival jump across the country during the New Year period, generating more than six billion baht in income.

Based on the latest statistics by the TAT, the number of charter flights arriving in Thailand between December 26 and January 5 was recorded at 286, 38 and 36 of which were from China and Russia respectively.

The central region this year saw a 6.5-percent increase in tourist number, wtih Bangkok ranked as the number one destination due to its numerous countdown activities. The capital city attracted more than 400,000 merry makers, creating an income of five billion baht.

In northern provinces, the number of tourists rose by 11.21 percent to 130,000, gaining 775 million baht in income. Chiang Mai was the most visited province.

In the eastern region, which saw a 16-percent increase in the visitor number, Pattaya City in Chon Buri remained the most popular place. The seaside city earned around 200 million baht during the New Year.

As for the Northeast, the biggest earner was Nakhon Ratchasima province, which drew 270 million baht from visitors’ pockets, mainly from Khao Yai National Park in Pak Chong district. The region reported a 13-percent growth in the tourist number.

The hotel booking rate in these well-known destinations ranged between 80 and 95 percent during the long holiday.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-01-07 footer_n.gif

The Russians have no money to spend and the Chinese are a bunch of cheapskates who arrive for package tour and decline to buy trinkets made in, yes you guessed it in China, but the ever over optimistic TAT are at it again, well show us the money?

Yawn!!

More nonsense from TAT!!

So now they are measuring specific days to show growth.

74 charter flights from Russia and China in a week, says it all!! Of course all big spending quality tourists!!

even worse, 73 of those charter flights obviously landed at the same time with my scheduled flight back from Europe a few days before NYE, which resulted in a queue of several Thousand people at immigration :-/

I expect tourism did peak during the holidays as people travel during their off time. But what TAT didn't do was to clarify what the stats were being compared to...last month...last year this time, etc. I expect they compared it to last month's stats.

And of course this a story from the National News Bureau of Thailand which is part of the Government Public Relations Dept....positive press release are the norm.

I totally pictured the number 0 with arms, legs, and a face jumping all around a Google Map of Thailand when I first read this headline...laugh.png

TAT might want to ask people who run resorts whether the numbers have gone up. Anecdata here in Hua Hin suggests it's dead as ever after the NYE celebrations...

Everyone knows TAT fudges their numbers always.

Their job in the press is up make Thailand look like nothing is wrong.

I would love to see the ratio of tourists in these places TAT is claiming to have done so well even just for the NY.

Let alone how they calculate how much money was earned coming from tourism since most places in Thailand don't even apply for a business license nor pay taxes.

• Like 2

What a crock of shit ... who believes these numbers?

Obviously not a Thai Government Official..... thumbsup.gif

The number of foreign tourists who visited Thailand in 2014 is down 6.6 percent from the previous year, a Thai government official confirmed

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/789896-2014-tourist-arrivals-to-thailand-drop-by-66-percent/

• Like 2

Thanks TAT you didn't let us down, right on cue out come all these wonderful figures.

I don't suppose you ever want to consider that so many Thais travelling over the holiday period are simply those going home to visit their families, hardly tourists in the accepted sense. Of course taking this into consideration would do serious damage to your figures and claims and that isn't on.

They do have a reputation for nonsense.

It did get busy around Christmas and has fallen off considerably in the last few days at the beaches. So much for high season.

I don't blame the coup as many do. If anything Thailand has never been more stable. I blame the world economy and specifically the Russian economy. Chickens coming home to roost for Putin, som nam na.clap2.gif

• Like 2

They do have a reputation for nonsense.

It did get busy around Christmas and has fallen off considerably in the last few days at the beaches. So much for high season.

I don't blame the coup as many do. If anything Thailand has never been more stable. I blame the world economy and specifically the Russian economy. Chickens coming home to roost for Putin, som nam na.clap2.gif

Well, the consensus amongst friends and family overseas that I've spoken to, is as follows:

1. It's far too expensive, even compared to as little as 4 or 5 years ago

2. They don't feel they will be "welcomed" or "accepted", other than as a source of cash, unlike say a decade ago

3. There's nothing here that they can't find in other Asian countries such as Laos, Cambodia or Vietnam for example, and those countries seem to welcome tourists much more and treat them better whilst there

4. The danger aspect, lots of foreigner deaths, suicides, accidents, and they just don't feel safe

5. Quality/standard of service (unless going very high end) is very low

Now, these are based on impressions they've received from news reporting, blogs, peoples personal experiences and actual trips here.

So, in summary, whatever Thailand "had", they've lost it.

There's no mention whether they are talking about foreign or a combination of foreign/domestic tourists. I suspect the latter, with the 20 million Thais travelling over New Year (according to a previous article). With the holiday at five days this year, it's no surprise numbers are up.

I think we all know TAT will take whatever figures they can to make them look good.