Dimmable E27 Led Bulbs

guzzi850m2

I looking to replace all my E27 dimmable bulbs with same Led's.

This is a lot of bulbs we are talking about; 14 in the living room alone, office = 4, 3 bedrooms X4, so about 30 bulbs in total.

Two good reasons doing this: the current ones blow often, almost each week one is gone which is irritating, the Led's are supposed to last much longer.

2nd reason; a Led 60W replacement is typical around 7-8W, so a lot of energy so be saved here, paying lees in electric bills is off-course better.

Problem: Which ones are dimmable?

Went to BigC yesterday (North Pattaya branch) and had a look. They had some in the 6-8W range at app 160 baht a pop and I asked for dimmablity. I could hear on the sales guys that they didn't have a clue what I was talking about and they said yes no problem. Luckily they sold reading glasses near by, so I "borrowed" a pair and read the info on the box carefully and my doubts was confirmed, non dimmable.

Then off to HomePro and they sold only one model suitable (so they told me) for dimming, a 11w E27 (slightly too much W for my needs) and at a eye watering 390 baht a pop, so again I didn't buy any. That will be almost 12.000 baht for a complete exchange in my house, bloody hell.

Today I gonna visit a small electrical shop in Naklua not far from where I live and ask the owner as he has always been helpful and knowledgeable for my house electric related questions/needs.

Anybody here know which ones to buy? I been goggling around a bit and I only getting up the different manufacturers and not really helpful.

Dimming mains LEDs is a minefield. If you look on any of the forums dedicated to the sparking industry (I use the IET) you'll find all sorts of discussions on the subject.

Certain manufacturer's lamps will only work with certain dimmers is the main issue, and few work properly with older (or cheaper) leading-edge dimmers anyway.

You may do better using dimmable compact fluorescent lamps (low energy lamps), but you will still pay premium prices and there are still issues with dimmer compatibility.

The real answer is to change over to 12V LEDs and use a PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) dimming system.

We simply split the lighting over several circuits in each room, need dim lighting, just turn on a few lights.

Fixed the thread title and moved to the Electrical forum.

If you are serious about dimming LED lighting, and want really effective results, you would be looking at adding another 2 cables to each light fitting. Thus creating a DALI network on an 0-10Vdc. Which in turn would need drivers, which can work out quite expensive, but the results are excellent.

These systems are commonplace in new build apartments in London. Where you can also control your lights via a smart tablet.

Thanks guys,

Sounds like a nightmare.

Well there is a bloke in our village that uses E27 Led's and it works fine in his house (same builder) so I will go and get the exact type from him and try it out.

I will keep you posed how I progress but not likely until week.

There are plenty of low-cost E27 dimmable LED's if you're willing to wait for them to come from China (where they come from anyway) ;)

However, If going this route there's 2 things you need to know:

1) Always, always read the user reviews - and don't buy bulbs that haven't been reviewed.

2) Don't bother reading their claims on lumens output. Work on 60-80 lumens/watt and calculate for yourself.

I noted the dimmable e27 led light bulbs on sale at HomePro in Buriram and the newly re - opened Global House Store in Surin. 390 baht for the 11 watt Sylvania with a claimed 806 lumens at HomePro in Buriram, however 259 baht for a 7 watt led bulb of a Chinese made e27 light bulb brand only found at Global House which claimed 400 lumens. Global House also offers a dimmable Eve Lighting 7 watt LED bulb for 399 baht. Global House offers a full money back guarantee for 30 days as long as the item is perfect and you have the store receipt according to the new sign at the Global House in Buriram so it would not be a risk to purchase an unknown Chinese brand at Global House.

• 2 weeks later...

I just found some 7W dimmable E27 Leds for 180 baht a pop.

They are called GATA (by TMI), 7W led bulb E27 220/240V.

Not much Thai on the boxes but English mostly, 400 Lumens and 10 years lifespan based on 4 hours use per day (well we shall see).

They are indeed dimmable with my dimmers.

I found them in a small electric store in Naklua, Pattaya.

Each bulb sits in a plastic skeleton inside the box they comes in for protection.

Looks like a Thai company:

http://www.thaiballast.com/thaiballast/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1%3Ateera-mongkol-industry-public-coltd&catid=29%3Atmi&Itemid=27〈=en

Edited by guzzi850m2

• 1 month later...

Need info on this topic so will use this thread.

Bought a 10W, LED outdoor flood light but no message on box if bulb is dimmable. Would prefer dimmable but can't change item now at shop. Can i just buy old style dimmer and give a try? This light wires directly to mains, so has transformer built in. Any ideas?

If it doesn't state 'dimmable' is won't be.

Many LED lamps will continue working down to 90V or less, so running it on a regular dimmer will have little to no effect until the electronics gives up and the light goes out.

Agree with Crossy - if an LED doesn't explicitly state that it's dimmable, it won't be. What it will have is a universal LED Driver designed to produce full light over a wide range of input voltages - and under-volting it could possibly damage the LED driver.

When it comes to LED spot/flood lights, I have one here that came with a remote control that allows you to change brightness and color to practically anything in the spectrum (it's an RGB LED). For memory it cost about 300 Baht more than the standard White/Warm White version. It's a 50W unit, but at max. brightness only really comparable to a 30W single-color LED.

That all said, 10W flood lights usually aren't that bright to begin with - are you sure you'll need to dim it? wink.png

Edited by IMHO

How much light do i need? In fact, i would prefer as is but must share the space with the public and the very dark entrance is off-putting for many. Had hoped to install and observe light pattern and brightness and if wanted, install dimmer later. Now all i can do, if too bright, is to shine lamp up and paint ceiling black. This is a small outside entrance way. Get the job done and move on. The best i can do now.

• 2 months later...

I bought several Eve lighting LED dimable E27 lamps, a motion sensor LED exterior security light fixture and the 26 watt LED ceiling light fixture in Buriram today. Prices are lower in June 2015 at a family owned store than I noted in February 2015 at Global House or the Buriram HomePro store.

post-20604-0-60354800-1433520532_thumb.j

post-20604-0-39511600-1433520662_thumb.j

• 4 months later...

if anybody is interested just drop me a line

————————————————————————————————————

The 16th China International Lighting Fair (Autumn Fair) will be held from 22-26 October, 2015 at the Guzhen Convention and Exhibition Centre in Zhongshan City, Guangdong Province.