An expert predicts Bangkok will be partly submerged in the next 30 years

webfact

An expert predicts Bangkok will be partly submerged in the next 30 years

27-3-2558-16-39-15-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Parts of Bangkok are at risk of getting submerged permanent in the next 30 years because due to land subsidence coupled with rising sea level, said Associate Professor Vichitbusaba Marom, a town planning expert at Thammasat University, on Friday.

She pointed out that sea level has been rising at an average of 5 mm annually while land in Bangkok has been subsiding at an average of 2-28 mm a year with the western side of the Chao Phraya river subsiding at more than 10 mm annually compared to an average of 15 mm on the eastern side.

Land subsidence in industrial areas is faster, averaging 30 mm a year, said the professor, adding that this means, in the next 30 years, parts of Bangkok will be under water.

She pointed out that another factor contributing to greater risk of flooding is rain and water runoff from the north and quick urban development such as construction of buildings that block the natural flow of water.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/an-expert-predicts-bangkok-will-be-partly-submerged-in-the-next-30-years

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-03-27

Bangkok is vigorously combatting the gradual submersion of its 'lovely' city by methodically introducing layer upon layer of garbage. It is apparent that Thais believe that only by covering their city with copious amounts of garbage can they save their fair city. Unfortunately some of their valuable garbage has been washing away into the khlongs during heavy rainfalls but, thanks to the prayers to Buddha, they precious garbage is being kept from washing away by grids designed to catch their precious trash before it is swept away to underserving places like Pattaya.

• Like 2

Does the present regime accept this forecast - especially since other data suggest that BKK will be largely underwater much sooner, ie within the next 15 years? If so, what exactly are they doing to mitigate the likely disastrous consequences? If they don't accept it, what are their reasons for this and who will be accountable if they are wrong?

• Like 1

beautiful woman

When the news is published by a beautiful and intelligent woman i always believe it.

On the other hand, when it's an overweight, balding, sagging jowl faced male expert, I dismiss it as scare mongering.

So you must believe every report coming out of TAT and YL

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

do you know how much the dutch live below the sea level in your measurement unit? they can live so can Bangkok people as an intelligent creature. just copy them.

I believe it's 5 meters below sea level Amsterdam is, other parts of the country can't be sure, but do you honestly think the Thais will take advice from another nation in the same position?

Would you believe any thai professor? Thai don't know anything about water, just look what happened this week in Sukhumvit, big floodings because of some hours of rain and that even when they just installed 8 huge pumps in tunnels.

I don't know how long it took Holland to build that system but sure more then some years. More likely some decades. But the Thai asked advice from the Dutch and even sent their government experts to see it themselves. I wonder what they learned from it, not much is done since the flooding. And what they did doesn't work properly.

It is a problem that is created by building cities on land at the mouth of the river. The land normally sinks over time, but silt is brought from upriver and replenishes it. Once you build on it, it is no longer replenished so it just sinks over time. There are two solutions (other than relocating the city), and it usually involves in moving in now land to build up on (Singapore keeps on extending itself out). The other way is to build dams and pumps that keep out the water.... the city could sink for another couple hundred years and still be liveable -- even though it is below sea-level.

• Like 1

Looks like the mountainous regions will be overcrowded as Bankokians take their governor's advice and move.

Oh sorry, he was joking wasn't he and why did all we dummies have to get it pointed out ? it's a sad day when important people can''t say something stupid without the plebs taking it seriously.

Any truth in the story that he and the PM are forming a comedy duo ?

Edited by NongKhaiKid

beautiful woman

When the news is published by a beautiful and intelligent woman i always believe it.

On the other hand, when it's an overweight, balding, sagging jowl faced male expert, I dismiss it as scare mongering.

So you must believe every report coming out of TAT and YL

Er no, I did mention intelligent.....