Phuket Gov: 'We are not facing a draught'

webfact

Phuket: 'We are not facing a draught' Gov
Nattapat Tuarob

1428653247_1-org.jpg
Bang Wad Dam reservoir currently has 2.13 million cubic metres (29% capacity)

PHUKET: -- Following rumours spreading on social media that Phuket only has enough water to last 54 days, Governor Nisit Jansomwong has stated that although there are problems with water distribution across the island, there is no water shortage.

Speaking at a meeting held yesterday (April 9), Gov Nisit said, “The reason this meeting is being held is because there were rumours spreading that Phuket only has 54 days until the water runs out.

“This is reckless. People talking about this issue should be careful. This type of news could frighten people.

“We are taking care about this issue. So when things are said, you must be careful and check the information thoroughly.

“We don't only have Bang Wad Dam reservoir as a water resource, we have many.

“We are having to monitor the water situation very closely, but we are not facing a water shortage,” he said.

He also said that he would like to compare this year̕s water situation to last year̕s, and that if local administration organisations want help from other departments they should let each other know and not call him.

“If our water trucks are inadequate, bring them from Phang-Nga to ensure residents have enough water.

“At the moment humidity is rising, so there is possibility of rain.

“I've been asked why we don̕t use artificial rain. The reason is because there are no clouds and there are lots of precudures and factors.

“Also, it is a provincial policy that if anyone has any damaged well, pond or other water resource that they want to fix, they shoudn̕t just empty it and throw away the water. The water should be stored so that it can be used to refill that water resource, he said.

Gov Nisit concluded, “The water was at full capacity before the rain stopped, but we have had many people in town and many foreigner visitors. In fact, the number of the tourists has increased by 300,000 on last year.”

Governor Nisit was told at the meeting that the Phrom Phan housing development in Pa Khlok has run out of water, he replied, “Any future housing developments will have to make their own water risk management plan to get their projects approved.”

The meeting was told that Bang Wad Dam reservoir currently has 2.13 million cubic metres (29% capacity). If there is no rain that water will last until the end of May.

However, Niew Dum Dam reservoir has 5.66 million cubic metres (78% capacity). This is sufficicent to last until the end of this year even without rainfall.

It is believed that rain will start to fall as normal at the beginning of May.

As for overall water distribution in the island̕s three districts, Thalang requires 7,673,000 cubic metres per year, Muang 3,848,000 cubic metres, and Kathu 1,032,000.

There is has been no reports of any effect on livestock and plants, and Provincial Administration Organisations have distributed water trucks twice a week to help the five main subdistricts which do have a problem with water supply namely; Maikhao, Sakoo, Koh Kaew, Pa Khlok, and Sir Soonthorn.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/%CA%BBwe-are-not-facing-a-drought%CC%95-gov-51841.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-04-10

Glad to see somebody knows when it is starting to rain. I always think any weather forecast here more than 24 hours is totally unreliable though.

I'm wondering about those water requirements, seems like an awful lot for Thalang and very little for Kathu.

My trees and plants say otherwise. Watering them with groundwater doesn't help as it's lacking the nitrates that rain provides.

You will be waiting a long time for rain with nitrates. Use the suggested fertilizer and let the draught take its effect.

• Like 1

We are having to monitor the water situation very closely, but we are not facing a water shortage, he said.

so why do you need to monitor it very closely then.. biggrin.png

Because that is part of his job and it if wasn't monitored no-one would ever know if there was going to be a shortage.

its surprising how fast bad news moves [ shortage of water] this was a topic mentioned in an earlier news flash the problem is they don't seem to take into account the increase of tourists .

Read the OP again and you will see that the tourist numbers are considered.

One reason that perceived bad news travels fast is that some people (like you) keep mentioning it when it isn't a problem. Your bad information is then passed on by other ill-informed and gullible people .

• Like 1

Wait until AFTER Songkran and the calls for conservation will likely start.

What is much more likely than that is that rain will start falling after Songkran, it always does.

Always, really ! Would ' usually ' not be better as always is far too definite especially from someone who regularly criticises others for exaggerations ?

"This is sufficient to last until the end of this year even without rainfall." Do these people EVER do the maths, before commenting, total requirements, his figures, 11624200 cubic metres, total capacity (currently), once again, his figures 7790000, as we can see it doesn't "add" up, even now he mentions trucking water in, so one must assume, Phuket is in serious water shortage. If they get to the point of trucking in water, can you image the continuous stream of trucks required to supply enough water for the island. All this and they still allow the filling in of lakes...looks like someone is in the water carting business.

"This is sufficient to last until the end of this year even without rainfall." Do these people EVER do the maths, before commenting, total requirements, his figures, 11624200 cubic metres, total capacity (currently), once again, his figures 7790000, as we can see it doesn't "add" up, even now he mentions trucking water in, so one must assume, Phuket is in serious water shortage. If they get to the point of trucking in water, can you image the continuous stream of trucks required to supply enough water for the island. All this and they still allow the filling in of lakes...looks like someone is in the water carting business.

Required on a yearly basis 12.5, available at the moment 7.8, considering we're in mid April that will last almost till the end of the year.

He did not mention trucking water in, he mentioned trucking water to people that don't receive communal water at the moment.

So no, I agree with the governor, Phuket does not have a serious water shortage.

Like the rest of the country, they will cut off water to the proletariat. The poor have no voice, and will further the water for the tourists. There is never a water cut-off in a big hotel. Only the poor suffer. TRUTH.

Required on a yearly basis 12.5, available at the moment 7.8, considering we're in mid April that will last almost till the end of the year.

He did not mention trucking water in, he mentioned trucking water to people that don't receive communal water at the moment.

So no, I agree with the governor, Phuket does not have a serious water shortage.

There is NOTHING in the OP that says trucking water ONLY to communal areas, I don't know where you get your info from, but it certainly isn't from the OP. Now as for your first paragraph, did you not read/understand the governors own words, he clearly stated, in the OP, which I CLEARLY quoted "This is sufficient to last until the end of this year even without rainfall." Hence why I said " Do these people EVER do the maths" I thought any fool, not that I am calling you one (some people are rather sensitive) would understand what I wrote. I admit getting my own maths wrong, of course it's yearly requirement is 12553000, this more so supports my comment.

Edited by Rorri

Like the rest of the country, they will cut off water to the proletariat. The poor have no voice, and will further the water for the tourists. There is never a water cut-off in a big hotel. Only the poor suffer. TRUTH.

Many hotels always truck in the water.

It can rain, and rain, and rain, and rain here, yet many members will still have to truck water in, when they turn them off "town water."

Eventually, water, an essential service, will become like transport is on Phuket, controlled and exploited by Thai Mafia, if it's not already.

post-217497-0-57071700-1428793501_thumb.post-217497-0-96275900-1428793589_thumb.With Phuket having a bit of a dry spell, it will likely get enough rain to keep it from getting

the kind of drought that California is facing. I seen some of the lakes, and reservoirs in that state,

and it is pretty scary to see the water levels so low.

Even Lake Mead in Nevada is pretty low for the time of year.

There is NOTHING in the OP that says trucking water ONLY to communal areas, I don't know where you get your info from, but it certainly isn't from the OP. Now as for your first paragraph, did you not read/understand the governors own words, he clearly stated, in the OP, which I CLEARLY quoted "This is sufficient to last until the end of this year even without rainfall." Hence why I said " Do these people EVER do the maths" I thought any fool, not that I am calling you one (some people are rather sensitive) would understand what I wrote. I admit getting my own maths wrong, of course it's yearly requirement is 12553000, this more so supports my comment.
Still required for the remainder of the year based on average usage throughout the year would be about 9030000 cubic meters, so yes, almost enough already in the reservoirs. Now take into account that we're comping up to 6 months low season, so far less people and therefore usage than in high season, and the present stock would easily last until beginning of 2016.

And yes, he is talking about trucking water to areas that need it, he is only talking about trucking water in to Phuket as an emergency, which as he states and the calculations clearly show is not necessary if we don't have any rains at all.

Your conclusion "even now he mentions trucking water in, so one must assume, Phuket is in serious water shortage." is based on loose sand at best.