Four foreign tourists injured, 4 Thais killed in crash

Thaivisa News

Nakhon Sawan:- A pick-up truck crashed into an air-conditioned bus that was transporting foreign tourists from Chiang Mai to Chainat at an intersection in Nakhon Sawan early Sunday. Four Thais in the truck were killed while four foreign tourists were slightly injured, police said.

Pol Lt Nirut Ploysri, an officer on duty of Phayuhakhiri police station, was alerted of the accident at 3:40 am.

The pick-up truck from Bangkok crashed into the bus of Thai Sri-ram Transport at the Luang Por Oh Intersection in Nakhon Sawan’s Phayuhakhiri district.

The truck driver and two passengers were killed at the scene. Two other passengers were badly injured and one of them died after the two were rushed to hospital.

Nirut said the bus, which stopped at the traffic light, made the right turn to Chainat when the traffic light for its lane turned green but while it was in the middle of the intersection, the northbound pickup truck from Bangkok crashed into it.

Nirut said the truck driver, Suthep Thongtham, 38, died at the scene along with his two passengers – Somboon Chaemnak, 65, and Benyapha Wongthong, 45.

Nirut said two unidentified men in the truck were badly injured and they were initially rushed to the Phayuhakhiri Hospital before they were forwarded to the Sawan Pracharak Hospital. One of them died at the second hospital.

The police officer said four tourists on the bus suffered minor injuries and they received treatment at the Phayuhakhiri Hospital.

The transport company has dispatched a new bus to take all the passengers to their destination.

A lot of road accidents happened during the long Songkran holidays every year. This year, the first three of seven days for monitoring road accidents saw 1,215 accidents occur, killing 121 people and injuring 1,281 others. The authorities counted the accidents from Thursday.

• Like 2

Som nam na,....comes in mind....for the driver of-cause not he's innocent passengers....Darwinism in all it's splendour....

Every time I see a crazy driver I wish to see the driver involver in a accident further up without hurting innocent people,.......just to teach him, if he would ever learn ?

Coulde'nt count the drivers that overtook us at high speed on the emergency lane yesterday (April 11) on our way from Kampeng Pet to Sukhothai. stopped counting at 50 ...

• Like 1

Red means STOP!!!

Not in Thailand

The "idiocrazy" of the Thai driving is that they actually slow down when they approach a crossing.

Already miles before the crossing.

And when they reach the traffic lights and the light is Yellow or Red, the speed up to pass the crossing before the cars in the opposite direction have started to drive.

Only in Thailand ......

• Like 1

Amazing that Thais died, and according to the officer foreign tourists suffered minor injuries. Convenient, or they were wearing crucifixes?

The Thais were in a pick-up. The foreigners were in a large bus. Not "amazing" or "convenient" just physics.

definitely not wearing seat belts...in that pickup.

I think most of us agree, it was not the lack of crucifixes.

Edited by slipperylobster

Amazing that Thais died, and according to the officer foreign tourists suffered minor injuries. Convenient, or they were wearing crucifixes?

The Thais were in a pick-up. The foreigners were in a large bus. Not "amazing" or "convenient" just physics.

looking at the state of that truck, not sure seatbelts would have helped.

Not just a bus---an" AIR CONDITIONED BUS"-------- WOW

• Like 1

looking at the state of that truck, not sure seatbelts would have helped.

I've seen worse than that repaired after two months and up for sale,they are masters of repair, not sure how safe they are afterwards though

Red means STOP!!!

It's either "Driver Education" or "Driver Eradication". As an international news sources says in another item on Thailand, there is not a lot of rule of law.

If this mayhem took place in an aircraft or train crash, it would be international news, but until the Govt and the police get their act together, it will go on, 70 per day, year after year.

Cameras at red lights would mean an instant boost in government funds, hopefully reduce road deaths, and also be a double check on registered vehicle addresses. i.e. a fine or summons returned as 'unknown' would/should alert someone to do a bit of checking.

You know I am convinced that there is a network of secret driving schools throughout the country, which have gone unnoticed by us farangs.

This would explain the serial lunacy of so many Thai drivers - they must have been on a course - no one could be that stupid naturally!

Its not as if you could fail to see a bus pulling out now is it?

Many of these people grew up using buffalo and cart.

The leap to roads and massive motorized vehicles was just too quick for them. One generation in most cases.

• Like 2

I always stop at a red light. But often enough i have a uncomfortable feeling about what the driver behind me will do, since they like to tailgating anyway. But then again, even when a cop see someone run over the red light, he don't care....

You know I am convinced that there is a network of secret driving schools throughout the country, which have gone unnoticed by us farangs.

This would explain the serial lunacy of so many Thai drivers - they must have been on a course - no one could be that stupid naturally!

Was told once by a local driver that he had been taught that when you turn left onto a main road you must drive slowly at first to allow the faster vehicles you have turned in front of to overtake you. Not quite what I was taught. I just agreed and said ok good idea.?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thai driving schools are mostly located on the top floor in Central Plazas across the country. Video games ...

Many of these people grew up using buffalo and cart.

The leap to roads and massive motorized vehicles was just too quick for them. One generation in most cases.

Yep, when one shambling buffalo collides with another, not much damage and very few injuries.

The difference will sink in...... eventually.

• Like 1

Much as I hate the 'nanny' state, how about crushing every vehicle and motorcycle if the driver has no license or insurance? I think it would make the roads safer, no?

You'd fill the Grand Canyon :)

Edited by evadgib

Much as I hate the 'nanny' state, how about crushing every vehicle and motorcycle if the driver has no license or insurance? I think it would make the roads safer, no?

But what would they use to blockade the roads in protest then when they spit the dummy?