Jump in volunteers 'stems from rising image of Army'

Lite Beer

"Jump in volunteers 'stems from rising image of Army'"

or maybe they are just too thick to do anything else?

Well, they get food 3 times a day, which starts to be a problem in this country with rising household debt. Next year there will be even more volunteers.

On a side note, who wouldn't want to have a volunteer like the one in the OP, with arms of 2 meter length.

hmmm. poor kids, see a better chance at some opportunities...however, let's see how discipline and the Drill Instructors guide these young men into soldiers.

More power to the kids wanting to improve their situations. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Rhys

Flavour of the month...

If you're an unemployed bum in Thailand you have 3 choices...

1. Join the monkhood

2. Join the army

3. Rip people off

Possible 4th option if you have money to buy a position..

4. Policeman

You missed one choice: Become a ladyboy, or that maybe can be classified under 3. Rip people off ?

Edited by HiSoLowSoNoSo

Is anyone in a position to confirm what the current "going-rate" is for ensuring that a non-interested candidate gets the right color of ball in the conscription-lottery ?

30,000 Baht to be deemed medically unfit, so I am told.

Wonder how the Generals split the bribe money, must be hundreds of millions per year!

• Like 1

Maybe they see the military as Thailands only growth industry over the next decade. What better place to learn the Thai business model of kickbacks , backhanders and commissions.

If they wanted to learn that then they should apply to be a politician in the PTP (if it still exists).

The Thai military is Thailand's unemployment safety net for young men. So it's not surprising to see volunteers for service this year increase which is the worse economic outlook in forty years. With a Junta-led government, the military has unrestricted access to the nation's treasury. While Thailand buckles under a worsening economy, the military will be gold-plating itself.

This is the second thread that you have repeated the lie (source: an academic that can't even add) of the worst economic outlook in 40 years.

As one who lived through the 1997 'Som-tam' crisis - 18 years ago - the current economic outlook is extremely positive in comparison. In fact it is no worse than 2013 when we had 2 consecutive quarters of negative economic growth, called a technical recession.

Certainly the economy is in need of boosting - just like the EU and Japan - but there's no need to exaggerate to fit your bias.

For some reason I trust the academic more than you: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/817911-thailands-economic-outlook-worst-in-40-years/

His views are somewhat supported by the "The Economist" and the World Bank, which is predicting that Thailand's economy will be the worst performing in SE Asia: http://www.economist.com/blogs/banyan/2014/10/thailands-economy

Is anyone in a position to confirm what the current "going-rate" is for ensuring that a non-interested candidate gets the right color of ball in the conscription-lottery ?

The last quoted price I saw in a local newspaper was ฿30,000....seems to work! biggrin.pngthumbsup.gifwai.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

• Like 1

UDD aren't hiring this year?

Another clueless answer by you,not got anything better to do?

Why not join the army,learn their tactics their way of thinking (something your not good at), be properly trained!

I condone the violence by BOTH sides,you just make snide remarks at every opportunity.

Remember most grunts are from poorer villages and families, not the rich and well off!

Obviously your education was wasted, or you have a brain but no common sense

Have a good day friend!

Now THAT should please the PM.

I would think so.

It will also please those of us who want to see the military neutralize the Shinawatra clan and return the country to an elected government that isn't dominated by organized criminality.

Which party would that be then? ALL the parties are corrupt including the military!

I remember the last Democrat government nearly being brought down by a very greedy individual who now says he is a monk,do you have memories lapses?

Neither you nor I will ever see it in this country, or any other country as a matter of fact!

• Like 1

Why not join the army,learn their tactics their way of thinking (something your not good at), be properly trained!

I condone the violence by BOTH sides,you just make snide remarks at every opportunity.

Remember most grunts are from poorer villages and families, not the rich and well off!

Have a good day friend!

But I did join the army, involuntarily, and spent 2 bloody awful years in it, during which time was education was broadened if not deepened.

One of the things I learned was the meaning of "condone".

It's a pretty good army to join. Rarely does one get shot at or bombed. And the benefits just keep coming as one climbs the ladder of the military hierarchy.

Are Luk Krungs still barred except from doing national service? A "pretty good army" would let them in & fully exploit their skills re language etc...

http://www.army.mod.uk/

Edited by evadgib

I would think so.

It will also please those of us who want to see the military neutralize the Shinawatra clan and return the country to an elected government that isn't dominated by organized criminality.

You mean domination by another organised criminality but in this case one that can't be voted out.

I think the army should be congratulated for improving its image so that more are volunteering to join up.Normally of course in any other country an increase in army volunteers means a crappy economy and reflects the lack of options for underemployed and ill educated adolescents.Congratulations to Thailand for defying the trend yet again.

I think the army should be congratulated for improving its image so that more are volunteering to join up.Normally of course in any other country an increase in army volunteers means a crappy economy and reflects the lack of options for underemployed and ill educated adolescents.Congratulations to Thailand for defying the trend yet again.

"Normally of course in any other country an increase in army volunteers means a crappy economy and reflects the lack of options for underemployed and ill educated adolescents"

Really!! Does it?

Most other countries have a firm education requirement for entry into the armed forces at officer level with ongoing education and skill improvements for lower ranks..

• Like 1

"Normally of course in any other country an increase in army volunteers means a crappy economy and reflects the lack of options for underemployed and ill educated adolescents"

Really!! Does it?

Most other countries have a firm education requirement for entry into the armed forces at officer level with ongoing education and skill improvements for lower ranks..

Yes it does.When the economy deteriorates there is increased interest in joining up.

The discussion was not about officer intake.

In terms of ongoing education and skill improvements I agree this is a plus for ordinary soldiers in modern armies.Indeed this is partly the incentive for some to join up when opportunities are limited elsewhere.It does not really apply in the Thai army.

What trend is Thailand defying? The economy is the worst performing in SE Asia.

Have a good day friend!

But I did join the army, involuntarily, and spent 2 bloody awful years in it, during which time was education was broadened if not deepened.

One of the things I learned was the meaning of "condone".

Nice answer, and thanks for pointing out my spelling mistake

National service didn't agree with you then?

I did mine for a lot longer,but I was a volunteer,and loved it.

Learned a lot of things including respect where it is deserved, and not to judge everybody the same.

What trend is Thailand defying? The economy is the worst performing in SE Asia.

I was referring to the trend which can be observed on multiple fronts whereby Thailand is completely unique and does not follow patterns of economics, politics and social development that all other societies from the beginning of recorded history have experienced.Only "educate"Thais of the "good people" category can understand this.Foreigners even of extensive Thai knowledge cannot appreciate this.The only exceptions are foreigners who kowtow to dictatorship, military rule and related Thai mumbo jumbo.

I would think so.

'Organized criminality' is a fair description of the Thai military. Please, read some history. They are a state in the state and never accounted for all the crimes they commited in the past. As far as I know nothing has chamged in this respect.

• Like 2