Thai man in coma in Phuket hospital after collapsing in hot water spring

Lite Beer

Thai man in coma in Phuket hospital after collapsing in hot water spring
Eakkapop Thongtub

1429592993_1-org.jpg

The water from the Khlong Thom hot water springs comes from thermal springs, originating deep underground in volcanic chambers.

PHUKET: The Deputy Director of Training and Development at the Institute Office of the Attorney General in Bangkok is currently in a coma at Vachira Hospital after passing out in a hot water spring in Krabi last Monday (April 13).

At midday yesterday (April 20), the Director of Vachira Hospital, Dr Jessada Jongpaiboon revealed that Somkiet Phatkhun is in a coma after passing out with heat stroke at the hot water spring at Klong Thom in Krabi.

Mr Somkiet was initially taken to Krabi Hospital, but after his condition worsened he was transferred to Bangkok Hospital Phuket. He was recently moved to the ICU at Vichara Hospital.

Dr Jessada said, “Mr Somkiet̕s body failed to adapt to the hot temperature of the spring when he entered it, this caused his blood vessels to expand and his body organs to start to shut down.

“It is likely that this also caused his kidneys and liver to fail and his blood to coagulate.

“Doctors and nurses are monitoring him closely 24 hours a day.”

Local residents reported that Mr Somkiet was on vacation with his wife in Krabi during Songkran and went to the hot spring last Monday.

One witness said, “The man passed out as soon as he stepped into the hot spring. People around him tried to massage him but he did not response. He was then taken to Krabi Hospital.”

Dr. Jessada added, “The patient's body temperature did not adapt to the heat of the spring like everyone else and that 's why he passed out.

“I want to advise everybody who considers going into the hot spring to please be aware that the water temperature is higher than the temperature of our body (30-40C). You have to go in slowly to let the body adapt to the heat.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/thai-man-in-coma-in-phuket-hospital-after-collapsing-in-hot-water-spring-51959.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-04-21

I went to one of these in Chiang Mai. I thought it was a joke, you go into the room and the water is too bloody hot. I just dipped my foot and went. Found a better one in Chaing Rai in the hills. Sometimes no one will tell you if you will die or not you just to do what makes basic sense.

• Like 1

Sounds as though he had a heart attack............but.....anyway, he's in hospital and a warning to others that venture into the hot spring water.......

It's a joke right??

Sounds like anything but. The quote from the doctor explained what happened to the man.