Thai editorial: Education purge a warning to elected politicians

webfact

The quality of education in Thailand isn't the best and the drive to save face at all costs makes the problem worse. One of my nephews has never done a piece of homework for himself - either his mother or father did it for him because he was too lazy to study and the parents felt they had to step in. Today, he is 18 years old and is applying to college after college with no success. He has to sit the entrance exams by himself and still doesn't do the pre-exam study.

Sadly, I think I can guess where he'll end up.

• Like 1

It is quite ironic that the 'special' powers that allow Prayuth to remove a Permanent Secretary are the very circumstances that led to the removal of Yingluck.

Maybe this issue isn't education but a civil service system that is completely outdated and outmoded.

• Like 1

No. Elected poloticians are not the bogeymen for every social ill. Too convenient.

The real problem with education in Thailand are teachers who won't learn more about their craft.

Tell me more about your great insights how a mere teacher can change the system.

You should read sometimes in the teacher part of thaivisa how it is the system and not the teachers that is the problem.

• Like 2

No. Elected poloticians are not the bogeymen for every social ill. Too convenient.

The real problem with education in Thailand are teachers who won't learn more about their craft.

Well, the real problem - like in many areas - is devastating poverty. You can't speak in abstracts about the future to people who aren't eating or in decent housing in the present, anywhere.

It is quite ironic that the 'special' powers that allow Prayuth to remove a Permanent Secretary are the very circumstances that led to the removal of Yingluck.

Maybe this issue isn't education but a civil service system that is completely outdated and outmoded.

Get you facts right. Prayuth did not remove Yingluck. he had nothing to do with it.He came to power after her removal

"Shame on the democratically elected politicians who failed to do so."

No...shame on the majority electorate who elected the politicians who failed. In a democratic system the electorate is the decision maker and if they make the wrong or bad decisions, they suffer the consequences. And it is the electorate that will decide the change. There is nothing efficient with a Junta-led government making education decisions as invariably PERSONAL influences of the Junta leader are interjected. Mandatory teaching of Prayut's 12 Values is a classic example.

Tell me more about your great insights how a mere teacher can change the system.

You should read sometimes in the teacher part of thaivisa how it is the system and not the teachers that is the problem.

........I would go further with my disagreements with his post.

Elected politicians ARE the bogeyman for practically every social ill!!!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Teachers are an important part of the system, kaaskop.

Well, the real problem - like in many areas - is devastating poverty. You can't speak in abstracts about the future to people who aren't eating or in decent housing in the present, anywhere.

What? The teachers are in "devastating poverty" ?

Confusing thoughts are racing through my head, education, improve, English skills, foreign teachers, training, teacher licence, paperwork, parents, spoilt children, heavy work load, is it worth it.

Okay, taken my tranqualizer, anxiety meds, anti-depressant, pain killer, mmm, feel better. Just a few question, why do Thai people want to learn English? Where do they use English outside the classroom? Is it a status symbol? Is there a place in Thailand that speaks English as a first language? Why the big fuss? Take it easy. Learning English in Thailand is like learning algebra in math, you'll never use it.

Confusing thoughts are racing through my head, education, improve, English skills, foreign teachers, training, teacher licence, paperwork, parents, spoilt children, heavy work load, is it worth it.

Okay, taken my tranqualizer, anxiety meds, anti-depressant, pain killer, mmm, feel better. Just a few question, why do Thai people want to learn English? Where do they use English outside the classroom? Is it a status symbol? Is there a place in Thailand that speaks English as a first language? Why the big fuss? Take it easy. Learning English in Thailand is like learning algebra in math, you'll never use it.

Some really stupid comments here! But then troll's usually do make such comments.

Many Thais use English in their workplace. ASEAN has instigated English as it's working language.

What? The teachers are in "devastating poverty" ?

I cannot understand this correlation - the higher the poverty, the higher the % of income spent on lottery and gambling.