Mass Thai police transfer after Rohinya tragedy surfaces

webfact

Because they aren't fired. They keep their rank and paycheck in exchange for not ratting out the big fish.

That is a bit premature.. they are transferred away so they cant interfere with the investigation. Who knows what will happen if they are found to be guilty.

Unless of course you expect stuff to be crystal clear right away.

Is that the norm in the USA to just throw someone in jail and find out later if they are guilty ? Where I come from people are put on non-active so they can't come to work during the investigation. Here they transfer them out before the investigation commences.

In your wish to bash Thailand logic seems to escape you.

You can bash Thailand all you want if the investigation does not yield any convictions (and I will join you then) now its a bit premature.

The "norm" in the USA and many western countries, would be immediate suspension without pay, pending investigation, or arrest to prevent witness tampering, depending on the case and the available evidence. They certainly wouldn't be put together in the same place, where they can conspire to beat the case, in air conditioned comfort and with full pay... If you must know.

My sentiments exactly (See Post #30)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because they aren't fired. They keep their rank and paycheck in exchange for not ratting out the big fish.

They are involved in the death so far of dozens of people and all they get is transfered. What is wrong with this country and it's laws. In the UK not only would they be fired but up in court for murder. No wonder the Poice feel they can do anything they want because they will never face a Judge and risk going to prison. This is why the Thai's have NO respect for the law in this country

This country really makes me sick. I have less and less respect for most of them: police and army also included.

I am surprised it is not that much in international media.

Not yet, hopefully !

I would enjoy everything which would make them loose face in front of the international community.

Edited by xtof2

This country really makes me sick. I have less and less respect for most of them: police and army also included.

I am surprised it is not that much in international media.

Not yet, hopefully !

I would enjoy everything which would make them loose face in front of the international community.

Now,. Now mother> Settle down. Life is not that bad.coffee1.gif

No surprises here. Any long term expat that reads the news knew the police

were in this up their necks. How sickening....... Put these turds into jail.

These inactive posts and transfers are making Thailand the laughing stock

of the world.

You don't think the military are also involved?

Hard to believe that in such a heavily militarised border, patrolled by both army and paramilitaries that they have zero involvement.

of the world.

MONOPOLY_c1937_Chance_GoToJail.JPG

That is a bit premature.. they are transferred away so they cant interfere with the investigation. Who knows what will happen if they are found to be guilty.

Is that the norm in the USA to just throw someone in jail and find out later if they are guilty ? Where I come from people are put on non-active so they can't come to work during the investigation. Here they transfer them out before the investigation commences.

You can bash Thailand all you want if the investigation does not yield any convictions (and I will join you then) now its a bit premature.

The "norm" in the USA and many western countries, would be immediate suspension without pay, pending investigation, or arrest to prevent witness tampering, depending on the case and the available evidence. They certainly wouldn't be put together in the same place, where they can conspire to beat the case, in air conditioned comfort and with full pay... If you must know.

My sentiments exactly (See Post #30)

That is what they are doing here.. they move them to inactive post.. nobody said they will be all in the same room to conspire. Also you just admit not everyone is locked up right away in US or EU. It depends.. quite often they are not locked up.. unless the investigation warrants it.

You and I both dont know if this is the case here.

I wonder how many of the people transferred and arrested actually had anything to do with the trafficking?

The article mentions some 48 people. How did they gather evidence against so many in the week or so since the bodies were found?

Either it was common knowledge who was running the show and making money and no body did anything to rock the boat till the shit hit the fan, or, this is just a convenient batch of scapegoats and the big fish are still partying on like it is 1999.

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn

The place they send all the Police officers to,not just these there are many more

must be a huge building,and be a bit overcrowded by now,and what do they do

all day in this place,sit around watching Tv.,the only real punishment they get by

this move,is that they are allegedly cut off from their part in any corruption and

the fruits thereof.

regards worgeordie

This was condoned up to the highest levels in Thailand. Unfortunately bodies have been found by accident. It was mentioned 14 years ago that the Thai army were involved in this human trafficking. Now the main man responsible for allowing it to continue tries to give the impression to world media he is doing something about it !! BS, he is still protecting his Lieutenants who he authorized to undertake these abuses and atrocities. Still in good Thai fashion no doubt he will go to the local temple and make merit and declare himself a protector of human rights. Hypocrites and criminals, nothing less

In reply to robblok Post #39:-

"BANGKOK: -- Royal Thai Police commissioner today ordered a mass transfer of 38 police officers from Satun, Ranong and Songkhla to the Royal Thai Police Operation Centre in Bangkok"

I wouldn't imagine they'd find it all that hard to find out where in the Royal Thai Operation Centre their co-transferees were pursuing their "inactive posts" and hence be able to take an "active" part in getting their stories to tally, for instance.

I think what he meant was that they should be suspended without pay pending investigation.

This is the norm in USA or anywhere else, instead they are being transferred keeping the paychecks and the ranks.

May be found guilty some years later,but why in the mean time grant them full privilege?

Good.

The discovery of these mass graves is probably just the tip of the iceberg.

Why don't they just say these officers have been fired? Why say 'moved to an inactive post'?

Short answer is: it goes back to the legal code of Ayutthaya. Certain forms must be observed. You cannot simply remove an official because he is an agent of the King. They put them in "inactive posts" where they continue to draw their salary, but do not have the power to extort bribes or harm people (we hope). After the legal procedures have been fulfilled they can be further disciplined or even removed from office. It's similar to firing a school teacher with tenure in New York. In order to fire them you have to have documented their failings, hearings have to be held, and meanwhile they are sent to spend their days in "the rubber room," where they do no work but get paid. It's also called "due process of law."

in US you get granted if the victim have a certain skin colour !!

Thai seems have changed faster than US !!

What are you granted? Sorry missed that part.

"they were held responsible for allowing human trafficking to happen in their respective areas of responsibilities."

Seems that being held responsible should be decided in a court of law, if one can be found.... charges that come to mind at least should be "accessory to murder". I imagine one thing that holds the rat's nests together is they all have dirt on each other, so best to go quietly, be imprisoned until attention span shifts, then release back into the fold.

Good.

Why don't they just say these officers have been fired? Why say 'moved to an inactive post'?

I believe when someone is moved to an "inactive post" , it is to facilitate an ongoing investigation. It serves many purposes.

It removes the person from the "scene of the crime" so they cannot tamper with evidence or influence other personnel.

It removes or limits operational authority from the suspect.

It keeps the suspect under the "microscope" where their movement and actions can be closely monitored.

Whatever it is called, it seems to be the right move in this instance.

The Thai authorities are in charge and may call it what they please.

Good.

Because they have not been fired. Because they have been moved to an inactive post.

They should be fired for not doing their jobs. They don't have to wait for criminal charges. I don't see how that's bashing Thailand but in light of all of these mass graves and plenty of evidence of human horror in Thailand, I might have a bit of an opinion.

Too often we see these inactive post transfers and then never hear another word about it. When we do see someone convicted it's either a low level person or someone with the wrong color of shirt. (That goes both ways depending on who is in power).

Rarely if ever do we see someone of real influence with a current administration prosecuted and imprisoned for anything.

Cheers

Edited by NeverSure

They should be fired for not doing their jobs. They don't have to wait for criminal charges. I don't see how that's bashing Thailand but in light of all of these mass graves and plenty of evidence of human horror in Thailand, I might have a bit of an opinion.

Too often we see these inactive post transfers and then never hear another word about it. When we do see someone convicted it's either a low level person or someone with the wrong color of shirt. (That goes both ways depending on who is in power).

Rarely if ever do we see someone of real influence with a current administration prosecuted and imprisoned for anything.

Cheers

You're both right and would probably agree with each other over a beer....

There are other factors in play: Its impossible for a Policeman in Thailand to do his job (as we see it) - there is always someone above him to protect what is otherwise a Pyramid-scheme.... The only option is to keep quiet - Hence the move to Inactive Posts.

I'm reluctant to 'bash', however, history, especially recent history has shown a certain reluctance to rock the boat beyond a degree suitable for and decided by whoever is in power at the time and their allegiances.

Cheers

Your last sentence says it all. But the word "Rarely" should read "Never". If anyone at all goes to jail over this it will be a way low level. Its very sad but in all reality there is gonna be a bunch of people murdered and no real justice for any of them. You only have to go back a month or so , thousands of slaves and untold number of murders/deaths were finally uncovered in Indonesia, not by any government or police, but AP reporters .Not one arrest made to date even though hundreds of victims gave testimony. These testimonies were against boat captains not officials or police. Not one single arrest to date. The story is dead, just like this one will be within another week.

Edited by dcutman

of the world.

You don't think the military are also involved?

Hard to believe that in such a heavily militarised border, patrolled by both army and paramilitaries that they have zero involvement.

Sorry, yes of course the military is involved . Thought that was a given, so no

need to point it out . The big story last year was about the Rohingyas being moved

around by a joint effort of the police and military. Or course that story has done

the classic Thai fade away....

So the police get a simple transfer and keep thier entitlements. This is hardly going to convince the world that the Junta is serious in fighting this horrendous crime. This is showing that the Junta is embracing these bastards with a warm hug and a reassuring there, there this will all die down soon and those nasty farangs will go away and then you can go back to your business.

All of this would have never happened during the former "democratic" regimes. Thanks again to PM Prayut for making this happen.

if it wasn't for the the U.S and EU along with the international media none of this would be happening. To praise and worship Prayuth for uncovering and investigating human trafficking is hilarious. Prayuth is more concerned about face and billions of baht than he is about a few foreigners who are merely a thai commodity.