Ip Star Sign Up

JJDinsay

###### and other IP Star account holders

IP Star seems to be the best way to connect people who have trouble connecting users in rural areas. Would this be a good solution as well for people out in the islands - like Phi Phi or Lanta? How long does it take to setup an acct? What are the costs involved? Any input would be great.

thanks,

Hi JJDinsay,

Im writing from Koh Tao and have been using ipstar for nearly 2 months now.Apart from poor backup service-their server is sometimes down for periods of 10-30 mins or so and I often have to phone to them to see what the problem is, ipstar has been excellent.

We pay about 3,000baht per month for 750MB and the speed is excellent.The cost of installation was around 20,000Baht -the engineers drove down from Bangkok and took the ferry out to install it.I am very pleased with ipstar and before I heard of it ,didnt think I could enjoy the internet at home here in Koh Tao.

Still, I am irritated by the service when there is a problem we get no warning or info.

Marc

So, IPStar themselves install it? I was under the impression that 3rd party vendors or consultants can install this service. 750 MB of data transfer per month? How do you keep track of how much you've downloaded? Every click of a web page is considered a download isn't it?

thanks,

JJDinsay

Good if you have GPRS signal.Koh Tao doesn't have GPRS. Apparently some of Koh Samui and Koh Phangan are covered but not all.Not sure about Koh Lanta etc.

Its easy to keep track of how much youve downloaded.Ipstar will give you a user name and password and you can see exactly how much you have been using and when.

George -yes they are terrible liars. When the installation guys were here they told us after telephoning HQ to confirm, that we would have 2 weeks unlimited downloading for FREE,before they gave us a username and password.After 2 weeks they sent a letter with the user name and password as promised but also a bill for the FREE 2 weeks of nearly 2,000baht.When we phoned to nag- yes our mistake again .Lol

Marc