Minivan driver loses leg in North Pattaya Road Crash

webfact

Minivan driver loses leg in North Pattaya Road Crash

crash-6.jpg

PATTAYA: -- A minivan driver suffered a traumatic amputation of his left leg in a high-impact road crash on the Sukhumvit Road in North Pattaya early on Wednesday Morning.

Police and rescue services made their way to the scene of the crash close to Soi 29 just before 6am on Wednesday and were met with a scene of devastation.

The Minivan had struck the rear of an Ice Truck, driven by Khun Brajap aged 42 and both vehicles were left heavily damaged in the central reservation.

The ice truck was travelling from the Lompok Market in Jomtien to its next drop-off site at a PTT Petrol Station in North Pattaya. The truck was required to make a U-turn and when entering the opposing carriageway, the vehicle was struck by the minivan.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/199251/minivan-driver-loses-leg-in-north-pattaya-road-crash/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-06-04

Must have been doing a fair rate of knots to push that truck like that.

Brakes must have failed and accelerator jammed.

coffee1.gif

I would lay money on it that he was on his mobile phone and not paying attention to driving

Its a shame when anyone gets injured...

However, looking at the photos I'm left wondering how fast the mini-van was travelling.

From the Photo's alone it appears as though the Mini Van was travelling at quite a speed and rear-ended the Ice Truck which was slowing down in the right hand most lane in preparation to make a U Turn.

I'd say something about the minivan drivers here but it's been said a million times already and it's all true. And is it fair to tar them all with the same brush? We don't have to. They all tar themselves.

So many of these accidents we hear about could be avoided if local driving habits were different.

Such a shame.

I am certain that in France, my home country, 90% of these accidents would not have happened in the first place.

So many of these accidents we hear about could be avoided if local driving habits were different.

Such a shame.

I am certain that in France, my home country, 90% of these accidents would not have happened in the first place.

In France there are no U-Turn but over or underpass so an accident like that cannot happened.

The good news is the lunatic driving the mini bus had no passengers onboard

The other good news for him is a pair of socks will last twice as long whistling.gifsorry.gif

You forgot another good news ;

the driver lost his left leg;

not important, it's the leg for the brakes which fail so often,

BUT he has still his right one with which he can continue to use the accelerator .whistling.gif

My stepson is a part of a co-operative group Hiace Thailand. They are owner/operators & not under the pressure that ordinary drivers face for "taking too long to get from A to B". Support for this kind of organisations would go a long way to reducing the carnage seen involving mini-buses in Thailand. They are hired on a day rate & for sure all want to go home safely at the end of the day.

Such a shame.

Ofcourse not, there are no uturns, that's the biggest problem on the roads in LOS

I am sure the minivan driver was going to fast, and may not have been paying full attention while

driving but I also know that the truck drivers make these U-turns with no regard to other drivers/traffic.

The pictures do not tell a full story. For me the main reason for the accidents like this is the U-turn system

in Thailand, then poor training and licensing of all drivers, no consequence for killing anyone as long

as alcohol and drugs are not involved, and poor maintenance and government oversight of commercial

transportation. Just another day in the LOS. blink.png

How fast was the mini-van going to manage to force the ice truck into that position ? 120 KPH + ?

Not much traffic around at 6 AM.

Was the mini-van drivers eyes "open" ?

Was his foot jammed on the accelerator ?

Golden rule number 1. When you see a U-turner ahead "Slow Down".

...yes, another tragic road accident that really did not have to happen.

We've seen it before, we'll see it again. Here is my take on the driving insanity that has muang Tai held in a death grip: เกรงใจ ...."greng jai" or "consideration of others." Or "to stay within."

If you ask 10 kon Tai for their definition, be prepared for 15 answers. Being "upfront" is not a Tai trait.

If you get a group of kon Tai talking what เกรงใจ is or isn't, one thing will become abundantly clear: an alternate

definition of "coiled spring."

Kon Tai are under immense pressure to stuff it, to stay within preordained bounds.

Once behind the wheel---woooohooo. They become unglued.

Read about the results as noted above. More tomorrow, next week, next year!

Kon Tai are under immense pressure to stuff it, to stay within preordained bounds.

There could be some truth in this... A society which in general is light hearted and non confrontational becomes quite the opposite; aggressive and impolite when driving - something changes / switches when behind the wheel... (or getting into an elevator !).

There could be some truth in this... A society which in general is light hearted and non confrontational becomes quite the opposite; aggressive and impolite when driving - something changes / switches when behind the wheel... (or getting into an elevator !).

Whereas Road Rage and aggressive driving is unheard of in Western countries..............blink.png

• 4 weeks later...

No doubt mini-van on his way to pick people up for visa run to Cambodia boarder? its no wonder we are all scared stiff doing these hidious 90 day visa runs. If i ever get injured doing a run i would try & sue the Thai government for making us do it? thats if i get out of the accident ALIVE.