PM announces plastic-bag-free campaign on World Environment Day

Lite Beer

Isn't it interesting that people complain about plastic bags as being environmentally BAD but don't

complain about plastic bottles that are actually killing people ?

The softeners in the plastic actually go into whatever food/water is stored in them !

Proven fact that Nestle's baby food in plastic packing for microwaves had to be taken off the market

after it was found to make the babies seriously sick [pretty much uncovered from the brainwashing media]

We basically eat and drink plastic that builds up in our bodies [can be proven with urine test: results show nearly

100% of the tested persons have plastic in their urin] that will finally make us sick.

But all this is not important ... better complain about plastic bags that are just [harmful] garbage.

How stupid is this whole discussion as it completely misses the point.

NO plastic packing at all for food and education about the dangers of plastic for the people would be a good starting point.

Now you can call me an idiot or what ever you like ... it's the usual defense system of the brainwashed know-nothing folks !

What horrifies me is the plastic bags used for hot oily food from the roadside stalls. Hot oil and grease will absorb many of the chemicals from the plastic and eating such food will transfer these chemicals straight into your blood stream.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A first step should be to discard the law that every customer who buy something liquid must get a straw.

I think it's great to get a straw wrapped in plastic.

I don't want to drink out of some can a cat might have pissed on or a chipped bottle top!

@White Christmas 13. Look at the bottom of your next water bottle as I just did and you will find that your bottle has most likely already been recycled. I do apologize for calling you an idiot.

Edited by ldiablo

A good start could be made at every 7/11 where EVERYTHING comes in at least 1 plastic bag and they are cheap and nasty plastic bags too.

I get blank stares every time I say I can carry the 300ml bottle of water without a bag and no thanks I don't want a straw!

Education and awareness is vital, but if they want to see real effects, then look at what has been done in other Countries. I saw the streets of my home cleaned of plastic within 6 months when the government brought in a 15c levy on plastic bags.

Introduce a direct hit on everyone's pocket, in no time they suddenly become more environmentally conscious.

I get laughs when I pull out my own plastic bags. But I think some may even think about it -1st step maybe.

Isn't it interesting that people complain about plastic bags as being environmentally BAD but don't

The softeners in the plastic actually go into whatever food/water is stored in them !

Proven fact that Nestle's baby food in plastic packing for microwaves had to be taken off the market

after it was found to make the babies seriously sick [pretty much uncovered from the brainwashing media]

We basically eat and drink plastic that builds up in our bodies [can be proven with urine test: results show nearly

100% of the tested persons have plastic in their urin] that will finally make us sick.

But all this is not important ... better complain about plastic bags that are just [harmful] garbage.

NO plastic packing at all for food and education about the dangers of plastic for the people would be a good starting point.

Now you can call me an idiot or what ever you like ... it's the usual defense system of the brainwashed know-nothing folks !

Just wondering two things...

1. I've been using recycled plastic bags at the fruit and veg markets. Is this just as harmful for me?

2. Also been using Komax BPA-free plastic water bottles. What do you say about this?

3. I appreciate your posts. I humbly suggest that you examine your feelings when you write such a post and ask yourself if they gave any physical effects.

One day per month??

Why bother?

Ban them 365 days per year.

Then you have done something more than grab a media op!

Thailand could have a huge industry growing pulp trees and producing biodegradable paper bags.

Especially if plastic was not an option.

Environmentally sound and it would create thousands of jobs....

A good start could be made at every 7/11 where EVERYTHING comes in at least 1 plastic bag and they are cheap and nasty plastic bags too.

I get blank stares every time I say I can carry the 300ml bottle of water without a bag and no thanks I don't want a straw!

Education and awareness is vital, but if they want to see real effects, then look at what has been done in other Countries. I saw the streets of my home cleaned of plastic within 6 months when the government brought in a 15c levy on plastic bags.

Introduce a direct hit on everyone's pocket, in no time they suddenly become more environmentally conscious.

I get laughs when I pull out my own plastic bags. But I think some may even think about it -1st step maybe.

You should see the looks I get when only buying a couple of items and insisting that I need no bags at all!whistling.gif

What horrifies me is the plastic bags used for hot oily food from the roadside stalls. Hot oil and grease will absorb many of the chemicals from the plastic and eating such food will transfer these chemicals straight into your blood stream.

In California, where I come from, people pay big money to have plastic put in their bodies.

Come to think of it, Thailand is rather famous for plastic surgery as well!

How can you complain about getting it for free?

You should see the looks I get when only buying a couple of items and insisting that I need no bags at all!whistling.gif

I often tell them to 'double bag' and they do it happily.

Very useful those plastic bags.

Tesco (and other supermarkets) in the UK sell reusable bags and give you extra points on your loyalty card if you use an old bag or a reusable one (usually cotton mix). Tesco in Thailand started selling multi-use bags (strong plastic ones, not quite the same) but my local store no longer has them on display. As I've never seen a local Thai using these bags I guess they weren't selling.

To say that the extensive use of plastic bags is part of Thai culture is really not true. Plastic only appeared post WW2 and plastic bags only really appeared when supermarkets mushroomed in every city, town and village, say from the early 60s onwards( Thailand would have been much later ). So before plastic bags flooded the market, what did Thai shoppers actually use ? As the PM wants to return to Thai traditional values, why not use this as a starter !!!!!!!

How far back do you want to go?

At one time, things were wrapped in banana leaves.

It is o.k. to throw those on the ground!

Went to Tesco Lotus today. Got 18 large plastic bags for 1110TBH of purchases. Just about every item went into a separate plastic bag. And the customers pay for it as do the people who have to clean up the mess.

So does that means everybody in Thailand is on hunger strike?

Every thing you buy here comes in plastic bags just go to the markets

Is it difficult to say " No thank you, I do not want a bag?"

I do.

It is easy!

Would be easy.....

Make a 50 Satang deposit on every plastic bag and every shop that has plastic bags (good enough if the big one does, 7/11, lotus, big C, etc) must take them back no matter what logo on them and how old/dirty.

People want less.

Plastic bags in the environment will be brought back

Went to Tesco Lotus today. Got 18 large plastic bags for 1110TBH of purchases. Just about every item went into a separate plastic bag. And the customers pay for it as do the people who have to clean up the mess.

So what did you do about it? Repack everything into less bags or just take them all.

Is there anything this guy doesn't try to micromanage, Except education reform which is the base of the future for the country!

Agree, this goes to the heart of the issue with the current government. Wish they would just pick a few high priority subjects that ifsolved would improve people's well being ... and go balls out to get them done. They are a mile wide and an inch deep.

I quite like the smell of burning plastic bags in the morning and it keeps the mozzies away. Picking up plastic that has blown in from the restaurant next door every morning also keeps me busy, I get so bored.

So you don't need a plastic bag to carry a plastic bottle because one is bad for the environment and the other is not ?

And exactly how would you carry the water if not in a plastic bottle, in your hands perhaps? The plastic bottle is necessary but the bag is not. Where I live a guy comes around the house once a month and collects all the glass, paper, plastic bottles etc for salvage and we get between 25 to 50 baht for it. He then sells it on at a profit and it gets recycled. Plastic bags are not salvageable.

Rather than the step by step method, simply require stores to use 100% percent bio-degradable bags, whatever they are made of. I am sure that the 4-5 conglomerates that own 80% of the retail in the country can afford it and write it off to good PR.

A first step should be to discard the law that every customer who buy something liquid must get a straw.

I think it's great to get a straw wrapped in plastic.

I don't want to drink out of some can a cat might have pissed on or a chipped bottle top!

Oh you poor dear. Bit too much trouble to wipe the top of the can or bottle ? Where I come from, seeing a MAN using a straw, would cause comic reaction.

....should start with removing all the trash from government. Have any past coup governments been anything but trash? And now elections proposed to be delayed for two years....like you couldn't see this coming. Most people know when the trash gets picked up....

use less plastic....oh yeah good idea....again

I fully doubt that plastic bags will be completely or even 50% removed from use in South East Asian Countries ... Maybe in 40-50 years from now.

So -- I say - why fight the problem from just the usage end... Every plastic item can be reused for something.

Right now in the USA there are factories that embed millions upon millions of recycled plastic grocery bags into decking lumber.

The bags are collected in huge recycling boxes at supermarkets and other places. These bags like other plastic waste are taken to centers - bailed and shipped to several factories on the USA... There the bags are shredded in a hammer mill into very tiny bits by the ton. Then they are mixed with dried sawdust -- then mixed with an epoxy compound. Then extruded into a Decking Board of various sizes including sizes similar to 2x6 and 2x4 inch lumber and even railing. These boards are dried and sometimes dyed into material that is used to build balconies, porch decks, sidewalks, etc. They have a life of at least 30 years, are not bothered by termites, ants, or other insects.. And are rot, fungus - plus sunlight resistant. They can be sawed, routed, screwed and nailed just like natural wood lumber.

This kind of 'wood' would be a dream come true for many types of construction in Thailand. It is easy to envision this -- a hot - humid - wet and sunlight country full of termites and wood eating ants and other insects. Thailand also wants to save trees.

In Thailand sawdust is not a plentiful -- but cellulosic materials such as coconut husk coir, the hard husk from palm oil nuts, and several others crops and natural sources in Thailand would work well. All could be shredded - hammer milled into a companion sawdust like material for this process. The end product is more expensive than most cheap wood but the lifespan and maintenance free aspect offset costs.

Plus this particular recycling process produces investment opportunities and jobs. The technology can easily be brought to Thailand.

Currently plastic bags are not collected in Thailand in the way plastic bottles and other hard plastics are. And even those types of plastics are not recycled in Thailand. For the most part they are bailed and exported to countries that do use hard plastics as raw materials to make things.

If any forum readers know what Crowd Funding is -- just think of the opportunities to create such a business in Thailand.

There are also products to be made from glass and the hard plastics -- and not just other bottles and containers. Plus several useful products can be made from the rubber in spent / used tires/tyres.

Where there is a Will - there is a Way .., but I see little Will in Thailand.

Plastic bag free day, turn off lights day, wear a helmet day, ride a bike to work day, study English day, don't drink and drive day, no corruption day, read a book day,.........................................whatever.

I do that here and the looks I get, it's as if I had magically conjured out of thin air something beyond their wit or imagination. Plastic bags are thrown all around my property here, I remove them on a daily basis, despite there being a bin every 20 yards in our village. Again, locals look at me as if I was insane.