Car Dashcam

Sydneycraig

Looking for a Dashcam for a fortuna in Phuket ... Front cam with wide angle lens. Auto start when car starts. Looping record when memory full. Quality for computer use only. Installed by shop ideally... Where to buy and what model and make is best ? Cheers

I picked up a cheap one in Bangkok 2 weeks ago.
You keep it plugged into the cigarette lighter socket and it goes on and off when the key is on or off.
It loops after about an hour (that depends on how big of a micro-SD card you use in it)

The better quality ones (more expensive) take a better picture which means basically you can make out the license plate on a car further away.

For installation, it had a suction cup thingy that goes on the windshield.
I put mine behind the rear-view mirror so it is out of the way.
But the wire hangs down.

I took out the card and checked it on my big screen yesterday.
Pretty good quality for only 1,000 baht that I paid for everything.
I believe the same model is around 1700 baht here in Phuket. ( I priced them at one of those car guys in the Big-C parking lot)

I could hear a conversation we had in the car but it wasn't very loud or clear, with the engine noise in the background.

I'm happy with what I got.
IF it keeps working.
(for 1000 baht, I have doubts of course)

They did show me one there for twice as much money, that had much better quality picture.
But then you need a bigger SD card also for the same amount of time.

Hope that helps in your decisions.

I bought mine online from Lazada, probably the same one that user fiddlehead has.

The dashcam was 499 baht, and the 16GB SD card was another 350 or so. I see that they currently have a bundle of the dashcam + 16GB card for 580 baht.

There's no need for professional installation - they come with a suction cup mount that just sticks to the windshield. Recording starts automatically when you start the car, and stops a minute or so after you turn off the ignition (via an included battery). Video is recorded in segments (you configure the length), and the looping uses first in, first out to overwrite the oldest segments.

I bought mine online from Lazada,

Another vote for Lazada here. I bought one for ~600 baht and it's been fine, does exactly what it says on the box.

The little booth with all the car lights and waxes etc at Lotus Thalang near the food courts and Dairy Queen had the exact same model and brand and when I asked the price she looked me straight in the eye and said 2,800 Baht because I was getting a special discount.

I thanked her sweetly and told her I was glad I'd bought mine from Lazada for 600 - she looked like she would garotte me! tongue.png

Do you have a link to the one you got on lazada? And how long was delivery . Thanks

This is the one I bought, 420 baht now: www.lazada.co.th/you-are-spy-spy-910-black-186429.html?mp=1

This particular unit is sold under a lot of different brand names, and comes in a generic box. Delivery times are quoted on the site when viewing product details - in my case about 5-6 days or so.

Check around on the site and you'll find a lot of different dashcams.

I bought one on the cheaper models similar to what was described above... Have others had the similar problem I have experienced... The unit freezes up and must be reset by unplugging and letting the battery die... And I can't get the unit to keep time... Every couple days the time date clears... The thing is basically unreliable... Guess it's my own fault for buying a cheap Chinese model...

Now I'm looking at proper Garmin unit - GDR33?... Anyone have one to review?

The only time I had to re-set the date/time was when I didn't use the car for a couple of weeks - e.g. the battery lost its charge.

I've had it for over 6 months and haven't had any other issues.

I've bought 2 from Lazada (my car and wife's car) about 2 years ago. Cheaper models, about 750 baht back then on special offer, but I did have to order a memory card also from Lazada. recommend at least the 16 Meg card. Never had a problem with either of them.

http://www.lazada.co.th/car-camcorder-hd-dvr-black-465867.html

http://www.lazada.co.th/kingston-micro-sd-16-gb-2-730856.html

Paid cash on delivery, about 3 days to deliver. Never had a complaint about anything I have bought from Lazada over the years.

Edited by LivinginKata

I have one but it is fixed forward, I always thought it would be nice to have one that swivels so that it can be turned toward the side window in case of an argument whistling.gif

I have one but it is fixed forward, I always thought it would be nice to have one that swivels so that it can be turned toward the side window in case of an argument whistling.gif

It records sound as well, so no need to swivel. Just make sure you mention the officer's name.

Or towards the passenger seat, where the person who claims to have directions to our destination sits.

That could come in handy as evidence in my 'not guilty by reason of insanity' plea. crazy.gif