Unfair trade complaints rise

Lite Beer

Unfair trade complaints rise

BANGKOK: -- Consumers have filed more complaints about unfair trade to the Commerce Ministry's Hotline 1569 in the first half of this year.

The Commerce Ministry stated that the number of consumers’ complaints against unfair trade through its Hotline number 1569 amounted to 1,268 in the first six months of this year.

The figure almost doubled complaints in the first half of last year, it said.

It said total complaints for the whole year in 2014 amounted to 1,446.

It said most common complaints in the first half of this year related to failure of traders to show price tags on their products.

Coming second and third were high prices and inaccuracy of traders’ weight-measuring devices, including fuel-dispensers at petrol stations.

Motorists were concerned that the price they paid for their fuel did not match the amount they should be receiving.

The Commerce Ministry said the higher the complaints were filed meant that the people became more aware of consumer rights.

Besides it said the government’s campaign on unfair trade and hotline number help to encourage the people to make complaints.

It warns that traders who fail to show prices of their product could be subject to fine of up to 10,000 baht while those who overcharge prices could be subject to fine of up to 140,000 baht, seven-year imprisonment or both.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/unfair-trade-complaints-rise

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-11

This hotline is news to me.

I get the sense if it became more widely known it might require additional numbers to cope with the increase in calls. Perhaps 24 hr service and operating staff numbering that of a small ministry.

Best not advertise this service too much

306719_1.jpg

Edited by Manbing

when you are getting screwed you need to be heard and you neede support of those who have been treated the same. . the police are worthless for the most part so destroy the offending shop vender device used to cheat a crooked scale throw it down (after demonstrating it inaccuracy) and stomp it to little tiny pieces, show some balls once in a while, bullies love dealing with polite / shy people but they fear a united group exposing them for the cheats they are.

Stir up the little ladies, point out how they are being cheated and get 3 or 4 to pass info on and you will have a dishonest person high tailing it out of the vicinty/area. women can be vicious as most of us have experienced, just get them headed in the right direction and notice how quickly things cgange.

otherwise stir up the troops. and stand out of their way.

Anyone can complain to this department and usually a letter from them stirs action. If they defend it (as entitled to do) an arbitration meeting will be arranged in Bangkok.

What about poor folk in the provinces need to go to Bangkok? Can they have a local hearing? Or is this just for Bangkok?

Any statistics available as to the outcome of the complaints in percentages?

Yup, very annoying to ask the price for EVERYTHING. And even more annoying to be charged double because you are farang.

Many times i just buy from the one who shows me the price, even if it's a high price.

I'm sick of asking how much something costs and then they won't even answer me, then they tell me what it is and more salestalk.

Even in Tops supermarket they won't show the prices at the fruit and vegy department. Why can't they just put a price on a bag of fruit? I don't want to search for the personell and ask them to weigh/price it.

Never had a problem at TOPS, LOTUS, TESCO, METRO, BIG C, FOODLAND, VILLA, etc., in BKK. They always show prices for all of their products. Many mom and pop stores do the same as do,7/11, AM/PM, etc. Street markets are a slightly different story but never have been taken advantage of at these locations either. Must be where I live and shop near Lak Si.

And if traders who fail to show prices of their product, will they be given a two-month reprieve from a fine with a promise to comply like the fishing indusrty?

The erratic enforcement of laws by the police under the Junta jurisdiction just breeds more contempt for the law.

Law has to be applied consistently and equally to be meaningful.

I thought that was one of the reforms of the Junta. Unfortunately, the Junta seems to lack the very same judicial discipline it expects of others.

I get the sense if it became more widely known it might require additional numbers to cope with the increase in calls. Perhaps 24 hr service and operating staff numbering that of a small ministry.

306719_1.jpg

You'll need to understand and speak Thai to use it.

306719_1.jpg

You'll need to understand and speak Thai to use it.

Always a little weight loading the Thai side of the scales