Upgraded to Win 10 Today/29 July Without Issue

Pib

This "FREE" just seems too good to be true. However, MS has blasted it all over the media. For sure they have legal opinion on this. I don't know what it is but I am curious.

I will accept the offer - crazy not too. Windows 7 has been good to me. W 8.1 - an absolute "dog".

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried the in-place upgrade (from Win8.1) to Win10. Such a nice adventure. tongue.png

I opened Windows Updates to make sure Win8.1 was up to date. Apparently it was, and I was presented with the opportunity to upgrade to Win10 right from Windows Updates.

Ran through the process *three times* at over two hours per attempt. (Not all of us have access to speedy FTTH internet access...)

Upgrading from within Windows Update involves several steps:

- Getting setup files

- Checking requirements

- Downloading 2.7GB of file(s)

- Preparing for installation

At that point each of the three times, it failed with Error 80070003: “Windows 10 couldn’t be installed.” Googling that page leads to a Microsoft page for how to handle that error in Win7, and basically it seems one has to:

- stop the Windows Update service

- delete temporary update files

- restart the Windows Update service

Which I have now done three times.

The computer is an eleven month old Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro which came with Win8. My main incentive to upgrade this notebook is to see if Win10 handles hi-res (4K) displays better than Win8 did. This computer is not my main computer, so I thought I would risk trying an early upgrade. Risk, indeed. Before starting, I did make two disk images on an external hard-drive, “just in case.”

So, now I using the “Media Creation Tool” (from the link provided by thedemon in the other thread) to download the files and create a USB flash drive to attempt the upgrade. Thirty-three minutes into the download, it’s showing “Progress: 24%”

Sure hope this works. I’ve been at this since 7:07am with only a two hour break...

PS: I'm retired and have all the time in the world to do this. I can't imagine putting up with this process if I were still working, though.

When I did my upgrade to Win 10, I did not have to download any files as they were already on my hard drive in a hidden forder named "$Windows.~BT" like shown at this Post by thedemon and in my later Post. From looking at the subfolders it appeared all the files had downloaded on 18 Jun (that might have been the date I reserved my Win 10), 10 July, and 29 July, with the great, great majority downloading on 29 July. Almost 7GB worth of files in the folder.

I didn't do anything to downloaded them...they were all downloaded in the background without me doing anything...and never noticing they had started downloading until thedemon's post about the hidden folder. I had just reserved my Win 10 grade about 6 weeks earlier (probably 18 Jun) when the Get Win 10 app appeared in my task bar. The Microsoft website said this is how it suppose to occur...Reserve first, then they will download all Win 10 upgrade files as early as 29 July to your computer, and then you click the button and do the upgrade.

Now, my computer is turned on pretty from morning to bedtime so maybe a computer needs to be online long enough during the day/night for the background download to occur....I only have a 15Mb speed connection here in Bangkok....no fiber optics...no super duper high speed plan.

So when I started my upgrade all the files were already in above mentioned folder...no downloading....after the Win 10 upgrade the folder/subfolders were gone.

http://phys.org/news/2015-07-microsoft-million-windows.html

Microsoft says 14 million computers now running Windows 10 July 31, 2015 by By Brandon Bailey

Microsoft says its' new Windows 10 operating system is now running on more than 14 million computers, two days after the software was released as a free download.

That's a far cry from the company's goal of getting Windows 10 onto a billion devices within three years. Microsoft says it's releasing the software in waves to make sure downloads go smoothly.

In a blog post late Thursday, Microsoft said it has not yet delivered Windows 10 to everyone who requested a free upgrade for computers running older Windows versions. Microsoft says the 14 million includes some copies installed on new computers sold in stores.

Reaction has been mostly favorable, with reviewers calling the new Windows an improvement over the last version, known as Windows 8.

When I did my upgrade to Win 10, I did not have to download any files as they were already on my hard drive in a hidden forder named "$Windows.~BT" like shown at this Post by thedemon and in my later Post. From looking at the subfolders it appeared all the files had downloaded on 18 Jun (that might have been the date I reserved my Win 10), 10 July, and 29 July, with the great, great majority downloading on 29 July. Almost 7GB worth of files in the folder.

I didn't do anything to downloaded them...they were all downloaded in the background without me doing anything...and never noticing they had started downloading until thedemon's post about the hidden folder. I had just reserved my Win 10 grade about 6 weeks earlier (probably 18 Jun) when the Get Win 10 app appeared in my task bar. The Microsoft website said this is how it suppose to occur...Reserve first, then they will download all Win 10 upgrade files as early as 29 July to your computer, and then you click the button and do the upgrade.

Now, my computer is turned on pretty from morning to bedtime so maybe a computer needs to be online long enough during the day/night for the background download to occur....I only have a 15Mb speed connection here in Bangkok....no fiber optics...no super duper high speed plan.

So when I started my upgrade all the files were already in above mentioned folder...no downloading....after the Win 10 upgrade the folder/subfolders were gone.

Aha. That's how you were able to do it so quickly!

I had not chosen to reserve the upgrade. I kept the icon in my taskbar in case I changed my mind, but I didn't until today when I decided to go for the upgrade. Hence, I had to download all the files (2.7GB worth.)

I'm currently in my second attempt to create a bootable USB drive via the Media Creation Tool, and these are the two new folders I have in the root directory:

win10_upgrade.gif\

The first attempt at creating the Win10 upgrade USB drive went from 0% to 100% download in about 55 minutes. Then a new progress count began and went from 0% to 50% in three minutes and then terminated with a super-informative window saying simply "SOMETHING HAPPENED" biggrin.png

I hope to have good news the next time I post. I'm currently 83% (and 100 minutes) into the second download.

Aha. That's how you were able to do it so quickly!

I had not chosen to reserve the upgrade. I kept the icon in my taskbar in case I changed my mind, but I didn't until today when I decided to go for the upgrade. Hence, I had to download all the files (2.7GB worth.)

I'm currently in my second attempt to create a bootable USB drive via the Media Creation Tool, and these are the two new folders I have in the root directory:

win10_upgrade.gif\

The first attempt at creating the Win10 upgrade USB drive went from 0% to 100% download in about 55 minutes. Then a new progress count began and went from 0% to 50% in three minutes and then terminated with a super-informative window saying simply "SOMETHING HAPPENED" biggrin.png

I hope to have good news the next time I post. I'm currently 83% (and 100 minutes) into the second download.

Hopefully you're all set by now but in case not you would probably be better off downloading the ISO since that is a single file and not much to go wrong.

You can do the upgrade directly from the ISO by selecting the windows.iso file, right click and mount. Then just click setup.

If you want to create a USB installer from the ISO this tool can do it quickly and easily: https://rufus.akeo.ie/

If the USB installer will be used on the Yoga you mentioned you will want the following settings in Rufus,

1 - Select the windows.iso file that you have downloaded

2 - Set the partition scheme to "GPT Partition scheme for UEFI computer"

3 - Set file system to Fat32

4 - All else leave as default

This is scary stuff guys. I did cancel my reservation weeks ago, but just got a mail from MS;

You’ve already reserved, so your free upgrade is on the way. This is the largest software upgrade event ever and we’re managing it so everyone has a great experience.....

When i click to the windows icon, i could reserve it. Should i be worried? I do not want this update.

Just don't click the Reserve button. And even if you did and then decided you don't want the upgrade, then click the cancel button when checking on the status of your reserved Win 10...you might want to check your Get Win 10 icon menu again to see if it says you are Reserved or not. And even if Win 10 say did download to your computer because you still actually have it reserved and you get a notice/popup one day you can now upgrade you can choose when and if to upgrade.

So, just don't click the Reserve button...and check the Get Win 10 icon menu again to see if your are reserved or not. If it says you are not reserved by offering you the Reserve selection then the MS email you got is probably reflecting outdated status of your desire.

Edited by Pib

I'll spare y'all any more blow-by-blow details, but two more attempts failed. Summary of what I've tried:

1. Three attempts within Win8.1's Windows Updates
  2. Three attempts (including one on my desktop computer) to use the MediaCreationTool to create installation media (USB thumb drive)
  3. One attempt to use the MediaCreationTool to "Upgrade this PC now"

From 0707 to 2255, minus a two hour break, equals over 15.5 hours of failed attempts to upgrade from Win8.1 to Win10. So far. smile.png

This is the super-informative window that popped up when attempts to create installation media aborted:

something_happened.gif

Who says Microsoft doesn't have a sense of humor? laugh.png

Next: Download an .ISO file and try that.

I have no idea why nothing is working, and Microsoft is providing no clues. Something must be wrong on my Lenovo notebook which has factory-installed Win8.1 Home, but ... what, exactly?

After downloading the .ISO and burning it to a USB drive, six minutes into the installation:

somethinghappened.gif

64 - bit. What is the average download time for Windows 10? Currently using Windows 7 Pro.

Mine Download in about 20min on adsl 13mb/s

Took around an hour for the whole process to complete I think but I'm running it on a 6 year old laptop,centrino 2.26, only 4gb of ram and a slow 500gb had 5400rpm drive

Anyone with a modern laptop will probably blaze through it a lot faster than that

I have no idea why nothing is working, and Microsoft is providing no clues. Something must be wrong on my Lenovo notebook which has factory-installed Win8.1 Home, but ... what, exactly?

After downloading the .ISO and burning it to a USB drive, six minutes into the installation:

somethinghappened.gif

Use the media creator link and skip the iso

I know a few people who have success doing it this way, it seems to upgrade well on top of an older version of Windows

Haven't tried a clean install yet and I won't unless there is some unforeseen problems arise later

^^ Did you have a choice to select Windows 10 Home version? Did they give you choices?

The MediaCreationTool gives a choice of edition:

Windows 10 Home

Windows 10 Home N

Windows 10 Home Single Language

Windows 10 Pro

Windows 10 Pro N

and a choice of architecture:

32-bit (x86)

64-bit (x64)

Both

somethinghappened.gif

I know a few people who have success doing it this way, it seems to upgrade well on top of an older version of Windows

Haven't tried a clean install yet and I won't unless there is some unforeseen problems arise later

If you mean the "Create installation media for another PC" option with the MediaCreationTool, I tried that. Three times. Abruptly terminating with the nice dark blue box saying simply: "Something happened."

If you mean some other media creator link, I'm all ears.

somethinghappened.gif

If you mean the "Create installation media for another PC" option with the MediaCreationTool, I tried that. Three times. Abruptly terminating with the nice dark blue box saying simply: "Something happened."

If you mean some other media creator link, I'm all ears.

Sorry, it worked flawlessly for me with that same tool but I wanted to upgrade the actual same system I was working on

As opposed to making the upgrade from on e pc to use in another system

I could suggest sign up for the insider preview or run an unlicensed Windows 7 or 8 on the pc first and simply click to upgrade to 10 is what I would try, still skipping the win10 iso hassle

That way seems to work for almost everyone and windows spokesman yesterday have even said they don't care about licences, everyone on 7 and 8 can upgrade

I installed Windows 10 yesterday on my desktop and laptop then after checking it out and seeing all the invasive programs and demands for info from microsoft decided to revert back to Windows 7. On my laptop it took about 10 minutes to revert back to windows 7 by just clicking on the button in the update and security section of the settings menu. My desktop was a different story, seems I deleted some files thru crap cleaner and it cannot revert back so would have to do a full reinstall from ISO disk image.

Windows 10 is a very nice operating system, a cross between Windows 7 and 8.1/windows phone but along with that goes adverts embedded in programs and privacy issues,much like Android, Google etc..

So I will use Windows 7 on my laptop and leave Windows 10 on my desktop for a bit and see how it goes but will probably uninstall that as well because Windows 7 is supported until 2020 and does not leak data like Windows 10 does.

Edited by pbay

I installed Windows 10 yesterday on my desktop and laptop then after checking it out and seeing all the invasive programs and demands for info from microsoft decided to revert back to Windows 7.

What exactly are the "invasive programs and demands for info" that you're talking about, re Win 10???

I installed Windows 10 yesterday on my desktop and laptop then after checking it out and seeing all the invasive programs and demands for info from microsoft decided to revert back to Windows 7.

What exactly are the "invasive programs and demands for info" that you're talking about, re Win 10???

There are a multitude of them. First off go read the terms and conditions from microsoft and then have a look at permission for each program.

The windowsbt folder is in drive c with 3.2 gig but the setup will not work. All controlled back in Seattle, I suppose.

That's odd. Indeed, when I looked, I have that folder already in my root C drive. And when I clicked the setup.exe icon in that folder, it launched the Win 10 setup screen...

But, I didn't pursue it any further than that, because I don't want to install now. But the PC that I checked on has a reservation, but hasn't as yet received any notice that I'm OK to upgrade yet.

Wpcoe, how exactly is the hard disk space configured on your Yoga 2?

There are various models, but when I looked at specs, they showed it coming with as small as an 8 GB SSD drive and then a 500GB spinning drive? I'd guess the SSD is configured as the boot drive, but not sure. Is it possible Win 10 is trying to install on a small SSD, and not having enough space there??

The windowsbt folder is in drive c with 3.2 gig but the setup will not work. All controlled back in Seattle, I suppose.

That's odd. Indeed, when I looked, I have that folder already in my root C drive. And when I clicked the setup.exe icon in that folder, it launched the Win 10 setup screen...

But, I didn't pursue it any further than that, because I don't want to install now. But the PC that I checked on has a reservation, but hasn't as yet received any notice that I'm OK to upgrade yet.

You can upgrade anytime. no need to wait. Just download Windows 10 upgrade tool and off you go. Interesting article on privacy issues with windows 10

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/

Edited by pbay

Fail here too :(

I have a new Lenovo Y50-70 laptop, W8.1 X64. Tried to download W10 this morning. Its took ~2hours but was looking good until the verification stage, At verification the screen showed 100 percent and then froze. Cntl-Alt-Del did nothing. Hard restart gave me the blue screen of death...

Very glad I had an image back-up-- thankyou Macrium Reflect (free)

Think I'll wait a few days an see how things shake out elsewhere.

I'll spare y'all any more blow-by-blow details, but two more attempts failed. Summary of what I've tried:

1. Three attempts within Win8.1's Windows Updates
  2. Three attempts (including one on my desktop computer) to use the MediaCreationTool to create installation media (USB thumb drive)
  3. One attempt to use the MediaCreationTool to "Upgrade this PC now"

From 0707 to 2255, minus a two hour break, equals over 15.5 hours of failed attempts to upgrade from Win8.1 to Win10. So far. smile.png

This is the super-informative window that popped up when attempts to create installation media aborted:

something_happened.gif

Who says Microsoft doesn't have a sense of humor? laugh.png

Next: Download an .ISO file and try that.

I got this as well, but did the ISO method and install worked in under an hour. Also I have an ISO file to use on other PCs as well or reinstall on this one.