School administrator seen slapping a student in VDO clip to be moved

Lite Beer

School administrator seen slapping a student in VDO clip to be moved

8-30-2015-3-59-15-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The deputy director of Soengsang school in Nakhon Ratchasima who was seen in a widely-shared video clip in the social media slapping the head of a student is to be transferred to another school in a different district.

Mr Chukiat Vistseena, director of Zone 31 of the office of Mathayomsueksa, said that a committee investigating the case agreed that Mr Aisoonpiyathorn Chuthatham, deputy director of Soengsang school, should be transferred to become the deputy director of Jarakhaehin Sangkhakitwittaya school in Khorn Buri district, as of September 7 although the probe is still pending.

He said that Mr Aisoonpiyathorn had no objection against the transfer.

Regarding the investigation into the case, Mr Chukiat disclosed that the probe team is yet to question students of Soengsang school who witnessed the slapping incident. He expected the case to be wrapped up within September 2 after which a ruling will be meted out against Mr Aisoonpiyathorn.

Video clip of the incident went viral in the social media a week ago, sparking off a lot of criticisms among the netizens against the deputy director.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/school-administrator-seen-slapping-a-student-in-vdo-clip-to-be-moved

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-30

Easy for us to talk about bringing charges, but the sad thing is that Thai parents would probably get very little interest / support from the police here in such a matter. Also, I suspect that the poor kid would then have to be sent to another school as other teachers could very well make it uncomfortable for him / her in the old one. But what really gets my goat is that AGAIN they are talking about transfer (and this time not even to an inactive post) rather than sacking !!!

What is the context of the slap?

There was a demonstration at the school by a large group of students, the student who was slapped was one of the leaders.. He was polite and had his hands at his side throughout. The assistant principal slapped him several times while shouting in his face. He then marched off shouted at the seated students then headed back towards the original student. A PE teacher got in between and the AP then stormed off.. The demonstration was about extra money paid by the students families for extra curricular activities which didn't actually happen.. Off course no mention of THAT enquiry!

Who cares?

No child should ever be struck by anyone working within education.

It's a ministry directive that there is to be no corporal punishment in schools. There are rules against this but it happens practically everyday country-wide. Why? Everyone seems to turn a blind eye too it, even our admin when they found out that a teacher had hit some kids. It seems that the punishment (for said teacher), does not fit the crime. How about a major demotion for starters, on top of any civil damages to the families involved.

When I went to school in my CIVILISED home country corporal punishment was widely accepted.

Now 50 years later I'm still alive and in fact have learned some discipline during that time.

Assaulting children because they have done something wrong is nothing more than violent thuggery. It teaches nothing except that violence is an acceptable response when someone upsets you.

Children should be taught that there are acceptable and unacceptable behaviours, true, but more they need to be helped to understand why some are acceptable and others are not.

This requires discussion, sharing of ideas about the consequences of misbehaviour, an examination of how they would feel if they were the ones affected by unacceptable behaviour.

This takes patience, time and rational responses to unacceptable behaviour.

It requires calm reflection and support for those children who struggle to control their behaviour.

What it does not require is violence.

I think the real problem as mentioned is 100,000 baht was collected by the school from parents for student benifet and was not used for that at all. In fact the money is susposed to be returned as it would appear the adminstrator/s were planning on pocketing the funds. Jail time for theft of funds, collecting funds under false pretenses, assult, loss of job, pension, plus a few strokes with the cane might change a lot of education personel attitudes at this and other schools for the better.

Corpel punishment for unruley students is one thing, but the school adminstration got called out basically for theft and are going to walk scot free and will probably pull a similar scam next semester in his new assignment.

Not naming any school in Thailand by name, but these kind of things happen everywhere in Thailand in a regular base.

The teachers and school directors know very well that they can get away with anything.
If found guilty, they will just get transferred to another school.

The Futsal fields and the mass corruption are not so long ago.

T(his) I(s) T(hailand)

When I went to school in my CIVILISED home country corporal punishment was widely accepted.

Now 50 years later I'm still alive and in fact have learned some discipline during that time.

Assaulting children because they have done something wrong is nothing more than violent thuggery. It teaches nothing except that violence is an acceptable response when someone upsets you.

Children should be taught that there are acceptable and unacceptable behaviours, true, but more they need to be helped to understand why some are acceptable and others are not.

This requires discussion, sharing of ideas about the consequences of misbehaviour, an examination of how they would feel if they were the ones affected by unacceptable behaviour.

It requires calm reflection and support for those children who struggle to control their behaviour.

Every child is different - in some cases, corporal punishment is a good method. Some don't understand anything else.

Discussion... patience... this under the assumption that the child actually cares about anything and/or the parents too.

At some point it becomes useless to waste a teacher's time with discussions and patience, the next solution is disclipline.

In this precise case, the slapping wasn't even an educational measure, so it is 100% reprehensible.

For the defenders who say the staff should be able to slap students, can you explain to me why uit was ok to try to show the student his penis, and ask repeatedly for the student to show the staff his dick? The guy was an out of control animal and should have been jailed. Watch the video before you run to the adult's defense.

For the defenders who say the staff should be able to slap students, can you explain to me why uit was ok to try to show the student his penis, and ask repeatedly for the student to show the staff his dick? The guy was an out of control animal and should have been jailed. Watch the video before you run to the adult's defense.

What?

Who cares?

No child should ever be struck by anyone working within education

oh, tell this please all the parents....! They are most responsible for education. But what they do behind the doors? Who cares?

Apparently the school admin asked the all parents to contribute 200 baht for an undisclosed project. As this has happened several times previously, parents were asking their kids to find out more...So the kids organized this gathering and the student leader asked questions about purpose and accountability and then administrator started hitting the kid.

Standard operating procedure

Every child is different - in some cases, corporal punishment is a good method. Some don't understand anything else.

Discussion... patience... this under the assumption that the child actually cares about anything and/or the parents too.

At some point it becomes useless to waste a teacher's time with discussions and patience, the next solution is disclipline.

In this precise case, the slapping wasn't even an educational measure, so it is 100% reprehensible.

Striking a child is never the correct response.

Who cares?

No child should ever be struck by anyone working within education

oh, tell this please all the parents....! They are most responsible for education. But what they do behind the doors? Who cares?

I do but can't do anything about that. All you can do is show the children there are saner responses to misbehaviour.

If they instilled some discipline then you wouldn't have the problems with students that they have now..

A good whack never hurt me and I have respect for people.

I say thrash them if necessary.

You posted this after you read the preceding post explaining what had happened?

And you claim to have respect for people?

So he was not punished at all. he sould have been fired.

You should read the story. There will be a probe. It will conclude on Sept 2. In the meantime, the accused is being transferred.

Clamouring for jungle justice is endorsing the very kind of behaviour the Assistant Director is being accused of.

T

I have no survey to back me up but monkeys seem to have better success at teaching their young than the Thai's system of education as exhibited and many being paid to adminstrator and teach the future leaders of Thailand???? Ok the latter assumption on my part may not become a reality, the ways things have been and are being handled at present. PM Joko has a nice ring to it.

He school environment I grew up in liberally used corporal punishment to back up the teachers words. Ongoing discipline problems were zero. The school would also call home and report, which landed you up with more punishment on the home front. Today, kids are running the show. Teachers fear being alone with them ... charges of touching, assault etc by the kids. There really is no action to back up the teachers words. The kids are soft and spoiled. I am not trying to justify the slapping. I am saying that what we have now does not work either.

I taught severely emotionally disturbed students in public school for my career. Middle and High School (lots of them were Crips and Bloods). I never struck a student. I did leave the room one time when student jammed pencil in back on my hand. Why do adults use violence against children? Because they can. This teaches violence is acceptable response to provocation (ever notice over the top responses in other posts on TV? where did they learn that? At home and at school).

If middle school students would fly into rage or tantrum, we would hold them until they calmed down. High School gangsters I would remind them that my room wasn't a prison, if they wanted to leave or had better idea what to do with life, door was open and I wouldn't stop them. School should be a welcoming place with some order and models of maturity available. Not like what went on in this case.