Mature student Bachelors degree in Thailand

bolardo

Just to underline what I said about my girl friend's experience at Burapha University's International College, her current textbook in economics is "Survey of Economics" by a professor at the University of North Carolina, which is an outstanding academic university(one of the three in North Carolina's Research Triangle: Duke, UNC and NC State). I leafed thru the textbook and can say, with no hesitation, that it's not a slam dunk for ill-prepared students who expect to slide by, if they think all Thai universities are a piece of cake....

• Like 1

The main problem you face is that Thai university degrees are not held in the highest esteem internationally, for reasons which have been extensively detailed here and elsewhere.

They are not regarded at all outside of Thailand

This is not true. Thai degrees with good GPA can be used to get onto master's courses at well regarded Western universities. Good performance in the first year of a Thai degree can be used to gain admittance to many good undergrad courses in British universities. As for getting a job it depends on the employer. Thai degrees are less well regarded than degrees from most Western universities sure, but to say they're not regarded at all is just ignorant.

Edit: Obviously some Thai universities are better than others.

Yes, an acquired Thai undergraduate qualification can be used as a 'slingshot' for further study on return to the UK for example.

The main problem you face is that Thai university degrees are not held in the highest esteem internationally, for reasons which have been extensively detailed here and elsewhere.

This is not true. Thai degrees with good GPA can be used to get onto master's courses at well regarded Western universities. Good performance in the first year of a Thai degree can be used to gain admittance to many good undergrad courses in British universities. As for getting a job it depends on the employer. Thai degrees are less well regarded than degrees from most Western universities sure, but to say they're not regarded at all is just ignorant.

Edit: Obviously some Thai universities are better than others.

Yes, an acquired Thai undergraduate qualification can be used as a 'slingshot' for further study on return to the UK for example.

I am not sure what you mean: Of course a gained (not acquired) undergraduate degree from any accredited university in the world can be used as a "slingshot" to further study at any accredited university in the world.

One of my Pakistani classmates graduated from Payap University in Chiang Mai with a BA in International Business Management and just graduated with her masters degree from Harvard University in the United States. Her Thai degree didn't seem to be a disadvantage with getting into Harvard. Another classmate is at the London School of Economics. A Burmese MBA classmate is studying his PH.D. in Australia. He's doing ok too. Of course if you're a lazy student you will not learn anything and it doesn't matter where you study.

I am not sure what you mean: Of course a gained (not acquired) undergraduate degree from any accredited university in the world can be used as a "slingshot" to further study at any accredited university in the world.

Depends. Universities are 'accredited' status-wise in their own countries. At what level each country's qualifications are accredited when a graduate applies to another country (eg the UK) varies. Anybody who has spent time dealing with admissions to a UK university will refer at some time or another to an international admissions handbook. Some qualifications from some parts of the world are particularly problematical.

I don't know if you have a specific location in mind, but Payap University in Chiang Mai has an international college with several bachelor's degrees. The international college has students from many countries and ages.

The International College at Payap University recently has faced many issues with student complaints. Unfortunately, they are ignored and, if they persist, lead to the student being informed they will be prosecuted.

Payap accepts the GI Bill, which means that former soldiers (US) can go there and get about 1500 usd per month living expenses. I talked to a guy in that exact situation. His biggest complaint was wearing the sailor suit. I know another American girl that studied in the International BNS program at CMU....she complained about the Filipino teachers, and wasn't to thrilled about having to study Japanese. They started with 25, and were down to 6 or 7 by the third year. I'm pretty sure she stuck it out.

As an older adult, I would recommend evening courses if you prefer studying with older students, for many possible reasons. I've lived near UC Berkeley, Arizona State U., and now CMU....you need a computer to tally up the good lookers at all three, but I would still rate CMU #1 in the beautiful lady department. Seems like there is a factory making them, at times. Always have to give honorable mention to UDRU, where I spent a month one Summer. It appears that high hem=high GPA, and the lower admissions standards really livens up the party. I got up at 6 one morning with jet-lag, and they were still out partying.

Edited by bangmai
  • Like 1

Payap does have issues that distract from the education. I'm sure I've burnt some bridges complaining about them; however, I've also seen improvement over time. Depending on how a person complains, they do listen. From my experience, insisting the university conform to my western ideas of education never worked well. Finding out why they do things and suggesting alternate ways of doing it has had better results. Everyone has different experiences at a university for whatever reason. My advice for foreigners choosing to study in Thailand is to be proactive and try to fill in the educational gap if you think the university is not giving you the quality education you think you deserve. There are plenty of 21st century solutions to supplement your Thai international education experience.

• 2 weeks later...

you will be an oddity of sorts where ever you go to do this. being an oddity in Thailand is probably appealing whiat ever your personal choice is.

I think you just have to jump through the hoops of intake, - I'm assuming you are doing this for yourself as opposed to career development.

either way I recommend go for the best you can and enjoy it. at the end of the degree you'll be internationalised to deal with local culture and your english skills will be an advantage that most thia won't have.

however, the subject you choose is of importance, I imagine there are many mickey mouse courses here, political studies, law etc

My personal views of Payap and of the Thai higher educational system in general aside, I would say education is never wasted and never too late to be embarked upon. My dear old Mum got her first degree fom Glasgow University (UK) when she was 69 and my sister is currently completing her masterate in Medical Law at 66. I joined the Payap TESOL programme after retiring from 30 years as a university teacher.

Reasons? That implies fact...opinions only

An interesting mix of words; reasons, facts and opinions.

How about an opinion is viewpoint or judgment that may well be supported by facts? Of course, people may have different views based on the same facts. Reasoning and reasons stem from cognition and intellect allowing the evaluation of facts to form opinions. Which leaves facts; things arising from direct observation or experience that can be verified, perhaps even by reason.

Most of my judgements and views about Thai higher education are based upon direct experience and observation and appear to be in agreement with at least some of what I've read in this thread. Perhaps others have been exposed to similar facts.

• 2 weeks later...

How about an opinion is viewpoint or judgment that may well be supported by facts? Of course, people may have different views based on the same facts. Reasoning and reasons stem from cognition and intellect allowing the evaluation of facts to form opinions. Which leaves facts; things arising from direct observation or experience that can be verified, perhaps even by reason.

Most of my judgements and views about Thai higher education are based upon direct experience and observation and appear to be in agreement with at least some of what I've read in this thread. Perhaps others have been exposed to similar facts.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2015#sorting=rank+region=+country=131+faculty=+stars=false+search=

Chula 253.

Mahidol 295.

Or even worse if you go with The Times rankings:

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2016/world-ranking#!/page/0/length/25

Or Chula 311:

http://cwur.org/2015/thailand.html

So, by any stretch of the imagination the top two or three Thai Universities are "mid-ranking" if judged on a world level.

Not one Thai Nobel Prize winner.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

• 3 weeks later...

Our first group of 9 are graduating in January 2016.

What about the BA in TESOL at Thongsook College? I'm wondering if other colleges and universities will accept a degree earned there for further studies at their schools. It seems to be legit, accredited by the Thai MOE. Thanks...

• 3 weeks later...

I spent 6 years living in Thailand. The first time was studying a semester at Assumption University (ABAC) in BKK, as part of a study abroad program through my undergrad school in the U.S. That was 1998; at that time, there was a diverse mix of international students--from Europe, Asia, North America. All courses were taught in English, except Thai language, by Western, Thai, and other Asian professors. I wasn't impressed by anything academically--except for a decent Filapina professor--but that's not why I was doing the program. Only the credits transferred to my undergrad transcripts; the grades did not figure into my GPA.

The main complaint was that classrooms were stark quiet (read: utterly boring), because Thai students, the vast majority of my classmates, never (ever) raised their hands to comment or ask a question. This "deference for authority" behavior is conditioned throughout the education system. I saw this again later when I taught EFL and worked at an NGO there. If you're looking for an enlightening, critical thinking, intellectual environment, I don't think you're going to get it in Thailand without paying high tuition for it.

As for your aspiration, I think it's wonderful. Go for it! I'm around your age and I'm back in school in the U.S. The difference in quality of instruction and students is incomparable, really, but that is not to say that Thai universities do not produce quality graduates capable of study or work elsewhere.

For what it's worth, have a look into online programs. There are good ones from accredited brick-and-mortar institutions around the world. Part of the difficulty of studying abroad is the cultural and everyday language adjustment. For sure, as others have said, Thai educational institutions operate outside of Western standards / norms. If you're expectations are realistic, then you might be okay. I, personally, could not tolerate the politics, communication style, and general BS of Thai culture that is prevalent in every Thai-run organization.

• Like 1

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2015#sorting=rank+region=+country=131+faculty=+stars=false+search=

Chula 253.

Mahidol 295.

Or even worse if you go with The Times rankings:

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2016/world-ranking#!/page/0/length/25

Or Chula 311:

http://cwur.org/2015/thailand.html

So, by any stretch of the imagination the top two or three Thai Universities are "mid-ranking" if judged on a world level.

Not one Thai Nobel Prize winner.

RAZZ

And did you attend any of these supposed top 300 universities in the world? Regardless, you might see the correlation between Thailand's corruption and its weak education system. The latter permits the former to thrive.

Search: Sompop Jantraka. He was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for his life's work on the above-stated problem.

• 3 weeks later...

What a load of BS. You certainly don't have a single clue as to what you are talking about and therefore your opinion is worthless. Love of how this forum loves to sh#t on everything about Thailand. /s

I would like to know more by providing some examples instead of just saying it's bs. I had a Thai gf in Canada who studied at one of the most expensive and "prestigious " international school in Bangkok and her degree was absolutely useless.

Current gf tells me ramkhamheang u is absolutely useless even in Thailand.

Of course, op will be studying for fun, so the above does not apply, but unless you provide some examples I will take your post to be a total and absolutele bs

What a load of BS. You certainly don't have a single clue as to what you are talking about and therefore your opinion is worthless. Love of how this forum loves to sh#t on everything about Thailand. /s

I would like to know more by providing some examples instead of just saying it's bs. I had a Thai gf in Canada who studied at one of the most expensive and "prestigious " international school in Bangkok and her degree was absolutely useless.

Of course, op will be studying for fun, so the above does not apply, but unless you provide some examples I will take your post to be a total and absolutele bs

An international school is not a university, so that may be a different issue.

A degree earned at an accredited university in Thailand is recognised the world over. That includes Thailand, and your "current" GF is simply wrong.

I don't know what you mean by examples, but Thailand is a signatory to a treaty in which degrees earned from universities accredited by each signatory country's Ministry of Education are recognised in the other signatories' countries by the universities accredited there. That's why, if you thnk of getting a degree, online or with classroom lectures, you should check whether the university is accredited. There are many universities - especially on the internet - that are not accredited (you basically buy a degree). That degree wouldn't be recognised by any academic institution.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I was in the same boat as you. I was 30 when I came to Thailand five years ago and started at Bangkok University. It was absolutely the best decision I have ever made. You will find plenty of students your age and above there. And pay no mind to the person saying that degrees from Thai university are not respected. Most places in the world don't care where you graduated as long as you have that piece of paper that says you graduated. That only applies to very specific occupations. So I say I go for it. It's nice to graduate with no debt burden to drag you down.

Edit: I just saw your latest comment. If you want a challenge, then you probably don't want to go to BU. Choose a different university. I found BU to be a bit too easy. But I wouldn't change going there for me personally because I have made so many wonderful friendships there. What you get out of it depends on what you put into it.

I also completed a fairly easy BBA degree here. I had no trouble with acceptance abroad... no-one's life is at stake in marketing.

I must add though that the university experience in Thailand is very different from the west where I studied in my younger days. Example: no drinking allowed at any function/party in Thai Uni. The work hard/play hard principle is not something that exists in Thai unis, and for the real student experience I would stick to the west.

Edited by bentfarang

• 2 months later...

An international school is not a university, so that may be a different issue.

A degree earned at an accredited university in Thailand is recognised the world over. That includes Thailand, and your "current" GF is simply wrong.

I don't know what you mean by examples, but Thailand is a signatory to a treaty in which degrees earned from universities accredited by each signatory country's Ministry of Education are recognised in the other signatories' countries by the universities accredited there. That's why, if you thnk of getting a degree, online or with classroom lectures, you should check whether the university is accredited. There are many universities - especially on the internet - that are not accredited (you basically buy a degree). That degree wouldn't be recognised by any academic institution.

Correct. I add, many Thai universities have quite a few formal exchange students both at bachelor and masters level, many are from Germany, and quite a sprinkling of other European countries, and a few Thais are in the same formal exchange programs. Many of the German students come from prestigious German universities, same comment in regard to prestigious Korean universities.

This means, obviously, that both universities have signed an exchange agreement. In both directions there is a rigorous evaluation process before these universities will sign such agreements, also ultimately meaning that they recognize the credits that students have earned at the exchange university abroad.

Exchange students can usually select to study abroad for one semester or one year.

This obviously means Thai universities which have English language programs / courses and it does include Ram.

As a long term frustrated employer, I can tell you that what he says is only slightly exaggerated. There are, however, a few good Thai Universities that have acceptable standards. The problem here has been that many universities sell degrees to students. As an employer having interviewed 100s of Thai Graduates in various disciplines, I found that only 1 in 128 was able to answer simple questions about their subject. These questions being easily answerable by 11 year olds in the UK. As I have discussed this problem with the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Education over the past 30 years, I do know what I am talking about. Education standards must be greatly improved in Thailand and there must be no more selling of degrees, nor issuing degrees merely for attendance. For these reasons, overseas employers certainly do not hold Thai University Degrees with esteem, with only a few exceptions.

"1 in 128 WAS " lol

cat is out of the bag ....

Edited by slipperylobster

• 3 weeks later...

I spent 6 years living in Thailand. The first time was studying a semester at Assumption University (ABAC) in BKK, as part of a study abroad program through my undergrad school in the U.S. That was 1998; at that time, there was a diverse mix of international students--from Europe, Asia, North America. All courses were taught in English, except Thai language, by Western, Thai, and other Asian professors. I wasn't impressed by anything academically--except for a decent Filapina professor--but that's not why I was doing the program. Only the credits transferred to my undergrad transcripts; the grades did not figure into my GPA.

The main complaint was that classrooms were stark quiet (read: utterly boring), because Thai students, the vast majority of my classmates, never (ever) raised their hands to comment or ask a question. This "deference for authority" behavior is conditioned throughout the education system. I saw this again later when I taught EFL and worked at an NGO there. If you're looking for an enlightening, critical thinking, intellectual environment, I don't think you're going to get it in Thailand without paying high tuition for it.

As for your aspiration, I think it's wonderful. Go for it! I'm around your age and I'm back in school in the U.S. The difference in quality of instruction and students is incomparable, really, but that is not to say that Thai universities do not produce quality graduates capable of study or work elsewhere.

For what it's worth, have a look into online programs. There are good ones from accredited brick-and-mortar institutions around the world. Part of the difficulty of studying abroad is the cultural and everyday language adjustment. For sure, as others have said, Thai educational institutions operate outside of Western standards / norms. If you're expectations are realistic, then you might be okay. I, personally, could not tolerate the politics, communication style, and general BS of Thai culture that is prevalent in every Thai-run organization.

Well said.

So have these degrees received in Thailand led to jobs in Thailand? Good high paying jobs?

For me I went back to my country to work there for a few years and then returned to Thailand. In both cases I needed the degree to qualify for the job. But perhaps I got the jobs more based on my experience than actual uni degree. I am not wealthy, but I have a job that pays more than what I understand to be the average income for expats in Thailand. Experience and prior education probably helped me along though.

• 1 year later...
On 15/10/2015 at 9:32 AM, bolardo said:

In terms of qualifications I meet most entry requirements for courses in the west, so I don't think I'd have a problem in Thailand.

I have British A-Levels AABB in English Language, Maths, Physics, Art and a Diploma in Engineering. So although a quick route to a degree would be engineering I would prefer to do one in a completely different subject.

I would like to avoid online courses as parts of wanting to do this is also the experience of actually going and studying at a university

I would imagine that you are more than capable.  Your punctuation is loose and sometimes absent, particularly with regard to clauses.  I'm not sure this matters too much these days, as content will be placed above style, and cogency of argument is altogether the most important thing.  Writing complex sentences is not at all difficult: we can choose to use a colon as I have done here, which in effect just means 'this is why/what I mean'.  And, of course, brush up on conjunctions if you are not in the habit of using them- therefore, thus; to name just a couple.  Notice how I spliced that last clause on to the sentence by using a semi-colon even though the syntax is poor.  Writing is a lot more relaxed these days, so sweat about the real business.  You sound like a good guy to have around in the classroom.  Other than that, you might wanted to review your understanding of the following words: correlation, cause, effect, confounder, and marker.  Good luck to you.