METV: I'm confused

So with a METV you do your 6 months here, leaving the country every 6 months......and then you go back to your home country and get another one? Wouldn't the Thai embassy see you as some sort of an impostor.......ie not a genuine toursit but a would-be long term resident?

Wouldn't there be some sort of cooling off period between the expiry of the first METV and the issuance of a new one?

Just wondering.

We don't know yet, it might be that they're more than happy for people to get them back to back as long as they can show the X amount of funds required - to show that one doesn't need to work while in Thailand.

The biggest problem for me (& I suspect a lot of other people as well) would be the requirement for proof of employment/business ownership (I mean, who has a job where they can take 6 months off)!!!

Do any of the guys who've asked the UK consulates know if the UK will be asking for this?

Edited by JB300
  • Like 1

So with a METV you do your 6 months here, leaving the country every 6 months......and then you go back to your home country and get another one? Wouldn't the Thai embassy see you as some sort of an impostor.......ie not a genuine toursit but a would-be long term resident?

Wouldn't there be some sort of cooling off period between the expiry of the first METV and the issuance of a new one?

Just wondering.

We don't know yet, it might be that they're more than happy for people to get them back to back as long as they can show the X amount of funds required - to show that one doesn't need to work while in Thailand.

And to add another scenario in. I have a couple of mates. Live and work in HK. So they are residents of Hong Kong. They carry either australian or british passports. They have bought apartments in BKK. They go to BKK a couple of times a month on weekends mostly. They don't qualify for investment visa as amounts are under 10m Baht rule. Do they run the gauntlet of visa exempts each visit. They many not necessarily eligible for Non-O visa, nor necessarily METV!

And to add another scenario in. I have a couple of mates. Live and work in HK. So they are residents of Hong Kong. They carry either australian or british passports. They have bought apartments in BKK. They go to BKK a couple of times a month on weekends mostly. They don't qualify for investment visa as amounts are under 10m Baht rule. Do they run the gauntlet of visa exempts each visit. They many not necessarily eligible for Non-O visa, nor necessarily METV!

I'd have said visa waivers since they only stay 2 days at a time. There's a rough cutoff of 6 visa waivers per year at which point they may call over a supervisor to ask you questions at immigration, according to the below. However then they'd see those guys only stay weekends, they fit the profile of tourists so shouldn't be an issue. If they can show 10k Baht cash (the required 'proof of funds') and return flight tickets then even better.

Having said that I know a guy who's had 13 visa waivers in 16 months and not been asked.

TDBkK5F.png

• Like 1

The biggest problem for me (& I suspect a lot of other people as well) would be the requirement for proof of employment/business ownership (I mean, who has a job where they can take 6 months off)!!!

Do any of the guys who've asked the UK consulates know if the UK will be asking for this?

No info yet for the UK. The consulates that have mentioned the 'proof of a job' thing so far were already known as being difficult and unfriendly before METVs were brought in. Other consulates didn't stipulate that, e.g. Denmark:

GUAWWAK.png

No word from the UK yet but that could be a good sign.

Edited by jspill
  • Like 1

Hmm, wow Thailand is really screwing over the younger people who are expats herr aren't they. Do they not understand that they can bring money into their economy from home, why all the red tape and bs.No other country in SE Asia makes things this problematic I swear

Some SEA countries do, some don't. Laos is 30+30 days (the 2nd double-price), and need a "fixer" for a business visa to go beyond this. Not sure about back-to-back re-entries there. Malaysia gives me 90 days on entry (USA passport), and can extend and/or do a border-run for another 90, but after that, questioning starts, and entries may be denied.

By contrast, Cambodia is easy - pay up to a year at a time for ME and never have to leave. What I know of Vietnam is 3-mo (showing $3000 in funds for acceptance) + 3-mo extensions in-country - not sure if there is a limit on the extensions, or further proof of funds on those. Myanmar - no idea.

Philippines is easy, 30 days on arrival that can be extended for 59 days then extend for 3 months at a time (6 months in Manila, Cebu, Davao) up to 14 months (3 years in Manila, Cebu, Davao), exit the country, come back, rinse & repeat.

Or deposit US$20,000(age 35-50, if over 50 there are other options) in an approved bank & get an SRRV, gives you the right to live, work, own a business there for as long as you leave the cash in the account.

That's great and thanks for the info but it's the Philippines.. so yeah not for me

I'd have said visa waivers since they only stay 2 days at a time. There's a rough cutoff of 6 visa waivers per year at which point they may call over a supervisor to ask you questions at immigration, according to the below. However then they'd see those guys only stay weekends, they fit the profile of tourists so shouldn't be an issue. If they can show 10k Baht cash (the required 'proof of funds') and return flight tickets then even better.

Having said that I know a guy who's had 13 visa waivers in 16 months and not been asked.

TDBkK5F.png

I here you what saying jspill. I had 300+ visa exempts between 2006-2014 and 5 x 60day extensions and got asked once, by which time i reverted to a Non-O late last year. I would generally have return ticket as evidence, not necessarily the cash. But the at the very least I always had my Hong Kong work permit in the passport, which would suffice as showing I have money and employed somewhere else.

I just spoke to the thai embassy in canberra australia and to apply for the new 6 month visa you have to be in your own country of residence and you cant do it from neighbouring countries so every 6 months you have to go home to re apply.. Its a multiple entry visa and you have to leave thailand every 60 days and it cost 225 australian dollars...

Are you <deleted> kidding me? So in practice if foreigners want this new visa we have to apply for it in our home land and then leave every 6 months to reapply in our home country? Ok then that is that idea out of the window for me the whistling.gif

Me too. I was looking forward to it until I realised I have to travel 24 hours to home country. My house there is rented out, and have no relatives able to accommodate me (at least not the ones that are talking to me). Maybe friends could help out there, but time moves on and they start families etc and I feel I would be imposing, so that would leave me with hotel as the only option.

I guess I'm reduced to 60+30 until I reach retirement age. A couple of people are suggesting we go take a look at neighbouring countries, which I'm not overly enthusiastic about, but it could be an option.

Yes that is a good question shadowmaster i will call them again in the morning and ask that as well...... residency versus citizenship.

Will be interesting what they say! There would be a couple of million residents/permanent residents in Australia being foreign passports holders, imagine that all having to go back to their country of citizenship to get a visa for thailand, - what a nightmare.

Just wondering.

While the almost certainly want the visa exempt entry, the can get visas in Hong Kong as they will fulfil the 2nd requirement that is, and almost certainly the 1st as well

1) A copy of Hong Kong/Macau resident I.D. card.

2) Passport/Travel document original with a copy of the main pages including the Hong Kong/Macau visa and the last entry stamp into Hong Kong/Macau.

I just spoke to the thai embassy in canberra australia and to apply for the new 6 month visa you have to be in your own country of residence and you cant do it from neighbouring countries so every 6 months you have to go home to re apply.. Its a multiple entry visa and you have to leave thailand every 60 days and it cost 225 australian dollars...

Are you <deleted> kidding me? So in practice if foreigners want this new visa we have to apply for it in our home land and then leave every 6 months to reapply in our home country? Ok then that is that idea out of the window for me the whistling.gif

@ Muffinzman, Im confused by this as well, and feel the same as Monk123. You mentioned country of residence! I'm an Australian Citizen. I am not a Resident of Australia. But I am a Resident of Hong Kong. If what you are saying is based on Residency then it would be HK is where I would be getting a 6 month Visa. Residency of Country and Citizenship of a country can be mutually exclusive of each other.

Going from the requirements already posted by some Embassies, it would appear that you can get a METV from your Country of Citizenship, or from a Country where you are a recognised resident, so in your case it could be both.

However clarity can only be confirmed when all the Embassies have posted the conditions.

• Like 2

Just wondering.

While the almost certainly want the visa exempt entry, the can get visas in Hong Kong as they will fulfil the 2nd requirement that is, and almost certainly the 1st as well

2) Passport/Travel document original with a copy of the main pages including the Hong Kong/Macau visa and the last entry stamp into Hong Kong/Macau.

HK & Macau dont stamp passports anymore for entry and exit, save and except for a handful of particular passports holders. for HK i exit and enter HK using my HK ID card, the only stamp I have for HK is 1 entry stamp 3 years ago when reactivating a work permit.

I emailed the Thai consulate at Hull to get clarification for UK residents. When I get a response I will post here.

I emailed another consulate in the UK and they seemed to think I can still apply for a double or triple-entry visa 10 days after November 13th. Does this mean they are mistaken or is the date for phasing them out not a firm one?

I suspect they have not been informed of what the rules will be by the embassy in London yet. Nothing has been posted on the embassy website.

When I inquired about it to the consul at the Bali honorary consulate he could not answer any questions because he had not gotten anything form the embassy in Jakarta.

OK, thanks. I'd better not rely on being able to get one when I go there then. Cheers.

HK & Macau dont stamp passports anymore for entry and exit, save and except for a handful of particular passports holders. for HK i exit and enter HK using my HK ID card, the only stamp I have for HK is 1 entry stamp 3 years ago when reactivating a work permit.

That would be no problem then as it asks for "the last entry stamp into Hong Kong/Macau" so your 3 year old stamp and HK ID card complete the requirements.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

Hmm, wow Thailand is really screwing over the younger people who are expats herr aren't they. Do they not understand that they can bring money into their economy from home, why all the red tape and bs.No other country in SE Asia makes things this problematic I swear

Some SEA countries do, some don't. Laos is 30+30 days (the 2nd double-price), and need a "fixer" for a business visa to go beyond this. Not sure about back-to-back re-entries there. Malaysia gives me 90 days on entry (USA passport), and can extend and/or do a border-run for another 90, but after that, questioning starts, and entries may be denied.

By contrast, Cambodia is easy - pay up to a year at a time for ME and never have to leave. What I know of Vietnam is 3-mo (showing $3000 in funds for acceptance) + 3-mo extensions in-country - not sure if there is a limit on the extensions, or further proof of funds on those. Myanmar - no idea.

Philippines is easy, 30 days on arrival that can be extended for 59 days then extend for 3 months at a time (6 months in Manila, Cebu, Davao) up to 14 months (3 years in Manila, Cebu, Davao), exit the country, come back, rinse & repeat.

Or deposit US$20,000(age 35-50, if over 50 there are other options) in an approved bank & get an SRRV, gives you the right to live, work, own a business there for as long as you leave the cash in the account.

That's great and thanks for the info but it's the Philippines.. so yeah not for me

I would normally say the same thing but I'm currently re-visiting Cebu (more accurately Bohol) after nearly 5 years away (my gf of 5.5 years is from Davao so I do visit PI approx 4-6 times a year) & the place is still awesome [emoji106]

Unless you (not you personally, I mean in general) are visiting PI to sh4g as many chicks as possible in which case AC would be a much better call (great place for a lads weekend, but I'm always ready to leave by Sunday).

I've always said that "Heaven" is living into Thailand with a Filippina but (to move back towards topic) the constant changes to Visas there is making me look to the Philippines again... Though Vietnam is getting much more "Foreigner Friendly"[emoji106]

Edited by JB300

Forget the METV for long stay it's just a trap. The easier way to stay in LOS is still the ED VISA. Of course it cost more but you can stay 1 year n Thailand whitout showing any proofs of revenue earned. I live in Pattaya so i know a scholl called Excel Language Centre who offer a 1 year ED Visa with english courses for 17 000 baths. And if you purpose is to stay Thailand only for sunny vacation you don't need to follow the english lesson. Ask the manager when you will apply, she is very comprehensive. You just need to be present when the police immigration come to check. That's all.

Yes that is a good question shadowmaster i will call them again in the morning and ask that as well...... residency versus citizenship.

Will be interesting what they say! There would be a couple of million residents/permanent residents in Australia being foreign passports holders, imagine that all having to go back to their country of citizenship to get a visa for thailand, - what a nightmare.

From the Embassy notifications I've seen its worded as Citizen or (Legal) Resident.

E.G Singapore (renowned for being one of the least "Friendly" Embassies) has said that it will issue METVs to Citizens, Residents & Long Term Pass Holders (their definition for LTPH for sponsoring Family Members is earning a minimum of s$10,000pm so I'm assuming they mean P1 holders).

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't somebody already reported back from one of the Laos embassies (Vientiane?) saying that the posted regs say the METV will only be issued to Residents.

Edited by JB300

From the Embassy notifications I've seen its worded as Citizen or (Legal) Resident.

E.G Singapore (renowned for being one of the least "Friendly" Embassies) has said that it will issue METVs to Citizens, Residents & Long Term Pass Holders (their definition for LTPH for sponsoring Family Members is earning a minimum of s$10,000pm so I'm assuming they mean P1 holders).

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't somebody already reported back from one of the Laos embassies (Vientiane?) saying that the posted regs say the METV will only be issued to Residents.

Nothing has been posted about the METV, the poster mistook it for another visa

• Like 1

Sorry but that should have read: "......leaving the country every 60 days..."

The 30 days extensions at the immigration office for 1900 bath will most likely be available for this METV visa too, so there is no need to leave the country every 60 days.

You may be able to stay up to 9 months on this visa, and leaving just twice during this period, if you activate the last entry just before it expires.

Edited by thaibreaker

It was me.

Mixed it up with the Non-Imm O....

• Like 2

Do you mean you are not sure on the back 2 backs for Laos or Thailand, I am curious about both actually

Monk - Not sure about back-to-back TVs into Laos (no visa-exempt option). For Thailand no problem, provided the Consulates will give them to you when / if they see several others.

JB300 - Philippines:

Thanks for that info. Yes, my 2nd choice, in many respects. Better for those who are devout Catholics, though; I prefer the Buddhist perspective. Worst aspect - every gal I met was looking for a ticket to the USA, which is the last place, outside North Korea or Yemen, I have any interest in going. When you tell them how life "actually is" in the USA (for non-multi-millionaires), it is as if you told a 5-year-old that Santa Claus isn't real. But they are very friendly, courteous, etc.

• Like 1

Forget the METV for long stay it's just a trap. The easier way to stay in LOS is still the ED VISA. Of course it cost more but you can stay 1 year n Thailand whitout showing any proofs of revenue earned. I live in Pattaya so i know a scholl called Excel Language Centre who offer a 1 year ED Visa with english courses for 17 000 baths. And if you purpose is to stay Thailand only for sunny vacation you don't need to follow the english lesson. Ask the manager when you will apply, she is very comprehensive. You just need to be present when the police immigration come to check. That's all.

And posting that is the exact reason why some visas are getting harder to obtain

Not very bright are you?

I think he wants to get rid of the competition.

All of his 3 post mention Excel...

How hard is it to set up an LLC (or whatever business-entity) in the UK? Or, for that matter, in some other Euro country? The business does not have to incorporated in your residency. It's easy in many USA States - you could do it all via the Post. So far, no "income" requirements for the METV, so do not have to prove a salary.

Edited by JackThompson

How hard is it to set up an LLC (or whatever business-entity) in the UK? Or, for that matter, in some other Euro country? The business does not have to incorporated in your residency. It's easy in many USA States - you could do it all via the Post. So far, no "income" requirements for the METV, so do not have to prove a salary.

Set up a shell company and documentation to show employment just to apply for a tourist visa? Note that there is no guarantee it will even be acceptable if they detect that the sole purpose of the company is to employ you. I will pass on that option, thank you very much.