Medical insurance for Farang in Thailand

willyumiii

Please recommend the best Medical insurance you know of in Thailand..

I know that insurance companies advertise here on Thaivisa, but..

I know advertisers tell you what they think you wnt to hear.

I would like to hear from real expats with real experience with medical insurance in Thailand.

* I am retired, age 62, in good health ,with a decent income...but not wealthy.

Thanks in advance.

There is no silver bullet I'm afraid. The international insurers Cigna / Bupa Intl / etc etc will offer the best coverage but at a steep premium price. The local Thai insurers Bupa / AIA / etc will offer good hospital coverage and easy use cards but pre-existing conditions AND anything related to pre-existing condition will potentially be excluded from coverage. What that means is high blood pressure even when treated, excludes you from coverage for stroke, heart disease, kidney disease if they can be linked somehow....

The best advice is to get a hospitalization plan you can afford, out patient coverage generally not cost effective, live as healthy as you can and make sure you get high limits as much as you can afford. No easy answers.

BTW...all insurers will tell you what you want to hear not just ones that advertise here.

There is no silver bullet I'm afraid. The international insurers Cigna / Bupa Intl / etc etc will offer the best coverage but at a steep premium price. The local Thai insurers Bupa / AIA / etc will offer good hospital coverage and easy use cards but pre-existing conditions AND anything related to pre-existing condition will potentially be excluded from coverage. What that means is high blood pressure even when treated, excludes you from coverage for stroke, heart disease, kidney disease if they can be linked somehow....

The best advice is to get a hospitalization plan you can afford, out patient coverage generally not cost effective, live as healthy as you can and make sure you get high limits as much as you can afford. No easy answers.

BTW...all insurers will tell you what you want to hear not just ones that advertise here.

Local insurers also can and often do cut off at a certain age, while international covers are for life.

Best to contact a broker and get a few quotes to compare.

Make sure to get one withOUT cut off age.

Premiums are determined by the age, then there is the pre existing conditions, which may result in some loading.

If you are a non smoker, and within insurance category of fit, some offer really attractive packages, not too sure what happens when lodging claims though

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Jump to Bupa and axa website, you can get a quote from there in 5minutes.

Their "Best" insurance for TH is around 50K / year if you take outpatient medication,but you can have a basic plan around 20 - 30 K.

Aetna and Cigna, just received a quote from them, top international insurance is insane, around 3,000 EUR

By far the best in Thailand is Bupa, best service prompt payment never a hassle and cheaper then most. I have several friends who have it and have never had a problem. Its also good in other countries except USA

You can get a quote right from the internet and if you sign up and go one year with out incident they rebate 10% back to you.

Jump to Bupa and axa website, you can get a quote from there in 5minutes.

Their "Best" insurance for TH is around 50K / year if you take outpatient medication,but you can have a basic plan around 20 - 30 K.

Aetna and Cigna, just received a quote from them, top international insurance is insane, around 3,000 EUR

I am 62, and my wife is 38. 3000 euros sounds cheap to me for good coverage. My yearly costs for us in the US is $13,000, plus $1000 each for the deductible. Is it possible to get a high deductible, say B$1 million, with coverage kicking in after that? I will also maintain Medicare A & B in the US, as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had excellent service and fair prices with BUPA for in patient 2 million baht Platinum policy coverage for the past 8 years. This week I received a 10% rebate in a check from BUPA. I am able to pay the annual BUPA health insurance on line via a bank transfer or with any Visa or Master card. I have experienced excellent customer service for my insurance needs from Mr. Eric Dohlon the dual citizen bi-lingual insurance broker based in Phuket.

• 1 year later...
On 3/9/2016 at 7:41 AM, kamalabob2 said:

I've had excellent service and fair prices with BUPA for in patient 2 million baht Platinum policy coverage for the past 8 years. This week I received a 10% rebate in a check from BUPA. I am able to pay the annual BUPA health insurance on line via a bank transfer or with any Visa or Master card. I have experienced excellent customer service for my insurance needs from Mr. Eric Dohlon the dual citizen bi-lingual insurance broker based in Phuket.

But like all insurance wide-boys, just check the all-important Exclusions.  This is the long list of what they WONT cover on their 'Sunshine'  (ie, up to six months in LoS) plan - 

https://www.bupa.co.th/en/individuals/health-insurance/individual/detail.aspx?iid=5&ifid=4#tab 

I had a 66,000 baht four night Buriram Hospital stay paid in full by BUPA in March 2017. I was not thrilled with the experience of the surgeon, or condition of the VIP room but I was lazy and did not check with other hospitals in March.   Earlier this week BUPA paid 168,017 baht of a non invasive inguinal hernia operation by an excellent surgeon at the Bangkok Korat Hospital. I was two nights in a VIP room of that  private hospital.  I paid 160 baht for a home medicine that was not covered. The other 4 take home medicines were covered and I have zero complaints. Each of these recent 2017 medical procedures there was no red tape, no run around, no hesitation from BUPA.  The hospital admission staff accepted BUPA with a phone call to verify my policy status.  I pay for the 2 million baht Platinum policy. There was a world of difference in hospital experiences for me. My insurance broker Eric Dohlon in Phuket advised me to consider a more prominent hospital if I was not satisfied with my March experience. I am the same age as the OP and I have had good experiences with BUPA since 2008. 

Entrance bangkok Korat Hospital.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I use thai health insurance for me and my family since 1 year. So far never had any problems. I made use of it about 3 times for minor issues. The card was always accepted and i didnt have to pay myself first too. The only downside for me is the low max. coverage for outpatients. In my package for 60'000 per year (including me+wife+child) the coverage per visit for outpatients is only 1000 bath. The bill was usually 5000 and up, so i got more kind of a discount rather than a coverage. So unless you get into severe enough health conditions to be an inpatient the money spent is not really worth it. But that is related to the chosen package.
I should add that im 'only' 35. So i cant say how they treat older customers.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone explain in that  I know someone who has a Thai family and the Thai wife and the 2 Thai children and covered on a  medical policy.  The husband is an expat and they have several times tried to get me on their policy to no effect so far and refused.
This is incredible in that in the main the expat mainly provides for most of the everyday bills and I and others find this staggering.
Also led to believe that if one has worked in the past locally and one has a medical card from the local Government hospital and this allows the individual to use the services.
I suppose it depends on the hospital.
Thanks for any information.

As several others in this thread, myself and my wife are both on the 2 million Bupa plan as well and we've got nothing but good things to say about them. Never any problem getting anything settled, it's quick, painless and with excellent customer support. A year without any claims results in a 10% premium discount the year after. I personally wouldn't bother with the outpatient plans though, since the outpatient care is typically cheap as dirt. 

9 minutes ago, mjnaus said:

As several others in this thread, myself and my wife are both on the 2 million Bupa plan as well and we've got nothing but good things to say about them. Never any problem getting anything settled, it's quick, painless and with excellent customer support. A year without any claims results in a 10% premium discount the year after. I personally wouldn't bother with the outpatient plans though, since the outpatient care is typically cheap as dirt. 

mjnaus  Thanks for info and believe one can get local Thai coverage  also and Bupa is it very expensive?

2 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

mjnaus  Thanks for info and believe one can get local Thai coverage  also and Bupa is it very expensive?

In my 12 years living here, I have tried a number of the local alternatives. All of them turned out to be total shit. Nothing but trouble in times you least need it... I think we've tried four of five of these policies (I don't remember the exact names, but you can get them almost anywhere) after which we decided to get with a decent insurer. 

I guess my wife could use the Thai free healthcare system, however looking at the typical state of public hospitals in this country... well, let's say they'll likely make you more ill rather than less :) Furthermore, we travel a fair bit and Bupa covers us anywhere we go (except for the US). 

As for the expensive part, I honestly do not feel they're that expensive. Me and my wife still being young (mid 30's), I think we pay about 50,000b per year for the two of us. Does not sound too bad, does it? I realize premiums will go up over the years, but I am more than happy being them if they keep up the quality of service as they have for the past years. 

They also have a number of cheaper, but still pretty decent plans, aimed mostly at Thai's I guess. We've got the in-laws on a cheaper Bupa plan with covers them up 500,000b per year (if I am not mistaken) for about 2,000b per month (for both parents who are both in their 60's). 

Thanks and yes again why can not the expat go on the Thai' s family policy and the person I know is 68 so the premium would be considerably higher.
My understanding is that one can use the local hospitals and thanks again.

You could... If your Thai spouse is on the government health plan (if they're working for the government) then family members can get on the same plan. However, you'll be limited to public hospitals, yuk. If that's ok for you, than by all means. I prefer a comfortable experience at one of the better private hospitals though.

On 31/5/2560 at 11:03 AM, mjnaus said:

In my 12 years living here, I have tried a number of the local alternatives. All of them turned out to be total shit. Nothing but trouble in times you least need it... I think we've tried four of five of these policies (I don't remember the exact names, but you can get them almost anywhere) after which we decided to get with a decent insurer. 

I guess my wife could use the Thai free healthcare system, however looking at the typical state of public hospitals in this country... well, let's say they'll likely make you more ill rather than less :) Furthermore, we travel a fair bit and Bupa covers us anywhere we go (except for the US). 

As for the expensive part, I honestly do not feel they're that expensive. Me and my wife still being young (mid 30's), I think we pay about 50,000b per year for the two of us. Does not sound too bad, does it? I realize premiums will go up over the years, but I am more than happy being them if they keep up the quality of service as they have for the past years. 

They also have a number of cheaper, but still pretty decent plans, aimed mostly at Thai's I guess. We've got the in-laws on a cheaper Bupa plan with covers them up 500,000b per year (if I am not mistaken) for about 2,000b per month (for both parents who are both in their 60's). 

Also, the person asking me to get information is in their late 60's? So obviously the premiums substantial and they been quoted huge premiums?

I am 54 and in good health.  Today I went to the Bupa office in CM.  I got a quote of 48,000 Baht for the Platinum1 Policy(No OPD) with a 1 Million Baht limit.  For this policy I could pay the annual premium upfront or pay monthly as long as I have a Bangkok Bank Rabbit Visa Card(I have no idea what this is).  Therefore, I then went to my local Bangkok Bank branch to open an account so I could obtain the needed "Rabbit Visa" card.  While opening the account the bank rep told me Bangkok Bank also sells Health Insurance and Accident insurance though the Bangkok Life Insurance Company.  For a similar type policy(with 950,000 Baht limit with a 3000 Bath deductible) the annual premium came to just under 16,000 Baht.  I could potentially save 32,000 Baht.

Now I am wondering if I should bypass Bupa and buy Health Insurance through Bangkok Bank.  Does anyone have experience(good and bad) with Bangkok Bank's health insurance?.   

Did you receive a brochure with policy coverage and the premium costs in English?  BUPA provides health insurance policy information in English and Thai. The Bangkok Life Insurance web site offers some interesting policies but only one that will be realistic for coverage in a major hospital. The BLA Health Plus information is in Thai, but looked vastly superior to the other policies offered on this page.

https://www.bangkoklife.com/en/products/7

https://www.bangkoklife.com/source/content/files/BLA_Health_Plus.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Does BUPA or any of these other Thai insurance companies require you to get a physical/blood tests, etc. to get coverage? I'm in my 30's and good health but don't really want to go in to get a bunch of shots and a finger up my butt to get covered.

Also, when I read the BUPA packages, I don't really understand how this stuff would apply if you were to come down with a life-long disease. Like say, you ended up with cancer or HIV? Does BUPA cover these incidents or do they only deal with one-off situations?

Archived