We meet Pattaya KFC worker seen feeding foreign disabled customer

webfact

Too often special staff are not recognized in Thailand.

This was a special story, I would like to see the name of the staff member who fed him the first time published too, and perhaps some kind of award from the government (no, I don't mean money or just a certificate, I mean placing the story on national TV after our special song to the King each day or around this time and presented by someone normally seen as "above" her in the Thai system) to demonstrate role models and how to really find ourselves.

I once observed a different KFC worker at the KFC in Pratunam deal with a terrible customer, to which most workers in western countries would have flown off at the customer. She kept her cool, kept smiling and served me right after as if nothing had happened (yes, the customer did something quite out of control).

I went back the next day, and wrote a letter explaining what I had seen thinking it may get her ahead in her honest job. The staff looked at me very strange when I asked to speak with the manager and gave the letter - my wife tells me it was because they did not understand the concept of giving a letter, but rather thought I should pay some kind of large tip in recognition.

It is sad that so many good people go unrecognized, I think Thailand would have even more good in it than it already does if the concept of caring, giving and sharing without expectation was promoted more openly.

Edited by TheGhostWithin

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have no doubt this was a very nice gesture on behalf of the kfc staff to feed the disabled man they must be aware he may very well be counting on his disability to get free or cheap meals he ordered a chicken meal priced at 199 baht only had 100 baht in his pocket?

Is it possible he does not have a disability at all", look at the guy that crawls around Sukhumvit, who I have read that walks on crutches when he is not "working". There is also the "blind" guy who walks with a lady singing into a microphone.

I am not saying they are all cheating, but it does go on.

i have no doubt this was a very nice gesture on behalf of the kfc staff to feed the disabled man they must be aware he may very well be counting on his disability to get free or cheap meals he ordered a chicken meal priced at 199 baht only had 100 baht in his pocket?

Is it possible he does not have a disability at all", look at the guy that crawls around Sukhumvit, who I have read that walks on crutches when he is not "working". There is also the "blind" guy who walks with a lady singing into a microphone.

You have to be kidding, right?

Oh yeah, never thought bout him, think he's called Stevie Wonder.

Edited by roo860

Is that the guy with the missing leg ? Freeloading b*(stard

I am only posting what other posters have said, some of these beggars are genuine, but in my opinion, some are not, what about the women with babies, sometimes not even there own, there are people dropping them off all over the place to beg, then picking them up later on for a share of their takings.

I have not seen it for myself, but have read about it many times, I believe that this really goes on, feel free to disagree with me.

I am only posting what other posters have said, some of these beggars are genuine, but in my opinion, some are not, what about the women with babies, sometimes not even there own, there are people dropping them off all over the place to beg, then picking them up later on for a share of their takings.

I have not seen it for myself, but have read about it many times, I believe that this really goes on, feel free to disagree with me.

And you really believe a guy went into KFC and pretended to be disabled to get a girl to feed him some chicken?

At last the real face of the greater majority of Thai people, we are not all bad as you can plainly or wish to see.

This girl needs to be in the headlines for her act.

The really sad thing about this story is exactly that....how did you put it....

"This girl needs to be in the headlines for her act."

Has humanity and kindness become such a rare thing amongst us human beings, have we sunk so low that when it is observed in action it.... "needs to be in the headlines".

God help us all if that is the case....what should hit the headlines is when one of us refuses to show love and consideration to our fellow man.

This is one of the reasons I find myself becoming more and more "reclusive" the older I get.

I would read Shunter's post more towards the doom & gloomers that lurk here, the ones that have difficulty in seeing anything good that is Thai.

Maybe I read it wrong.

I am trying really hard at the minute to think of any western country where any KFC employees would do what these people have done.

Still thinking.......

Now if that act does not get her employee of the month then nothing will. Well done to her.

As she said when interviewed, another staff member helped the individual the day before.

IMO they all deserve the recognition.

Soi Biker, I did not say anything of the sort, what I said was it's possible.

So you think he might have been pretending.

Why? Just for a laugh?

I just said "possibly". So you believe that all the begging that goes on is genuine?

Why? Just for a laugh? I don't understand this part.

I find that Thai people have a different attitude towards disabled people than in the UK where I come from.

When I was a youth, I had a friend in a Leonard Cheshire home after a bike accident. There were all sorts in there - some with very advanced MS (who as good Samaritans, we used to get weed for).

Most Friday nights, we'd 'borrow' the home's minibus and fill it up with mostly wheelchair bound people and take them to the pub. The home had it's own bar but obviously it's nice to get out and about.

So we'd turn up at a pub with 15 or so disabled people and have a good night out with them. The looks we got from the locals went from sympathetic to disgust, disgust being the norm. We got asked to leave a few pubs, mostly the excuse was that a couple of them were noisy (but it was just associated with their disability).None were mentally disabled, they were all adults and they just looked a bit different.

Now - if a disabled person rocks up at a venue in Thailand, the whole attitude is different. That are looked at as real people where in the UK, people either don't know how to act, ignore them or treat them as non-people.

So this story doesn't surprise me because it is one of the nicer aspects of Thailand.

At last the real face of the greater majority of Thai people, we are not all bad as you can plainly or wish to see.

The really sad thing about this story is exactly that....how did you put it....

Has humanity and kindness become such a rare thing amongst us human beings, have we sunk so low that when it is observed in action it.... "needs to be in the headlines".

God help us all if that is the case....what should hit the headlines is when one of us refuses to show love and consideration to our fellow man.

This is one of the reasons I find myself becoming more and more "reclusive" the older I get.

The really sad thing is that you had to bring some negativity with this post.

You are becoming more reclusive the older you get because you are becoming a grumpy old fart.

The story is nice, smile and move on....

Still it is Christmas time so the odd 'Bah Humbug" should be expected.

Why? Just for a laugh?

I just said "possibly". So you believe that all the begging that goes on is genuine?

You think it's possible that this guy was pretending to be disabled.

Why do you think he would do so? Because he found it amusing to make the girl feed him? Because he has a fetish for being hand-fed fried chicken?

And you really believe a guy went into KFC and pretended to be disabled to get a girl to feed him some chicken?

There's an element in this forum with so little to do but spout drivel all day so yes....some guys here would easily think that. Sad but true

Why? Just for a laugh?

Why do you think he would do so? Because he found it amusing to make the girl feed him? Because he has a fetish for being hand-fed fried chicken?

Why do you think he would do so? That has already been explained, now ask me something else. But not about silly fetishes, or this might go off topic.

Why? Just for a laugh?

Why do you think he would do so? That has already been explained, now ask me something else. But not about silly fetishes, or this might go off topic.

I don't think he would do so. You're the one who thinks it's a possibility.

Why do you think it's possible? What would he gain from doing so?

Already been answered, next question please.

Where was this answered? Which post?

Which question are you referring to? Remind me again. You have asked that many. How about wishing me a Happy New Year? Edited by possum1931

Which question are you referring to? Remind me again. You have asked that many. How about wishing me a Happy New Year?

It's not the new year yet.

Why would this guy pretend to be disabled?

Which question are you referring to? Remind me again. You have asked that many. How about wishing me a Happy New Year?

It's not the new year yet.

Why would this guy pretend to be disabled?

OK, I will answer when you wish me a Happy New Year.

It's not the new year yet. But it nearly is.

Certainly a kind thing to do and she deserves credit for it, as did the fisherman who let two foreigners climb on his back in the mud when they found themselves stuck while photographing birds or the numerous Thai people who discover & return lost money or luggage to foreign travelers, but kind, caring Thai people are not all that rare even in Pattaya. I meet them regularly as do most of us who bother to open our eyes.

Unfortunately they are hard to find, even with open eyes, as the eyes are usually focused on the large proportion of disgruntled, unhappy, unfriendly, rude and nasty ones.

Yes, but let's consider how hard it must be getting-around in a wheelchair here!? It's like negotiating a bloody obstacle course when I go on my frequent long walks in Bangkok!

Good karma will no doubt be forthcoming to this young lady.

Having a wheelchair can be considered lucky in this part of the world. The majority of crippled/handicapped can't afford them.

Edited by tropo