Uninsured Brit in Phuket moped accident has left her parents with £35,000 credit card debts

webfact

This is but another example why the Thai government should institute an insurance tax on all foreigners who come into the country. Say it was 300 baht per person. That would be enough to offset these big medical bills as most tourist won't have to use the coverage. For those unfortunate few who have trouble here, the insurance will preclude massive charges for hospitalization and repatriation.

While I am not a fan of the Thai government putting taxes on foreigners, I would support a tourist tax in this case to cover costs of medical emergencies for people who come here and end up in an accident. Perhaps it was not her fault this accident happened but if the Thai driver at fault has no insurance she is still responsible for covering the costs of her hospitalization. If the Thai driver has no assets and cannot be held liable in court, it is still her problem and in this case it results in her parents having a major debt to help her out. Young people think that accidents only happen to others- in this case she was very wrong.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part of the problem is the Thai hospitals ripping foreigners off.

A popular CM private hospital charges up to 15x more for a foreigner than for the same foreigner privately in a government hospital.

They are stealing form foreigners and foreigners insurance companies.

I can see the girl in the OP being charged 100k-200kbht for the work, but not 1.8M that's just fraud.

That is not an example of a rip off

how long was she in hospital for?

3 times and I was reacting to the remark that a foreigner in a private hospital pays 15 times more than a foreigner in a government hospital.

I have no idea how much the girl should have been charged.

Folks, we must be a little more informed.

I used to own several travel agencies.

Travel insurers would pay us 40% commission.

So many times I made claims for people and by far the majority never got a cent.

The excuses that I heard from the insurers were unbelievable.

One reasonable sales rep even expressed to me the as a matter of course the first claim is refused automatically in the hope it will go away.

Having experienced refusal of a claim many years ago, I can believe you 100%. F#####g parasites. They rely on the fact 95% of people who have a claim refused won't drag them through the legal system because they don't have the resources.

1.8 million baht definitely sounds like a private hospital.

I continue to wonder why any tourists go to Phuket, given its horrific reputation.

" Forgetting to take out travel insurance prior to her trip '..... No, not forgetting, wanting to save

a $100 or thinking that, nothing will happened TO ME... what an expensive trip it turned out

to be.. would anyone learn anything from it? I doubt it very much.....

$100 ? Guess I got screwed cause I paid closer to $800 for 6 months travel insurance

My US bought policy is less than $100 for coverage from last July thru this April.

If the motorbike she was riding pillion on was 'hit by a truck' might it be the Truck Drivers fault? Shouldn't the Trucks insurance pay for all medical bills?

Most truck in Thailand don't have insurance. Also the truck that hit me in the back in September had no insurance for over 10 years already. The truck was from 1976, license plate BKK 10-1809. I still see it driving up and down several times per week. Police don't do $#!t. The driver only has 1 leg and was shifting gears using his hand with a stick to press the clutch down. The other hand he is using to shift the gear. So at the moment of shifing gears, no hands on the wheel. Apparently it is cheaper getting pulled over several times per year by the BIB than paying for insurance and roadtax.

Surgery could not be done in a government hospital and in the police hospital there was a waiting list for arm surgery for over 6 months up to 9 months.

My insurance didn't pay a single bath because it was caused by a motorvehicle. 99% of all the medical insurances in Thailand don't cover accidents caused by motorvehicles. It clearly says in the small written terms (in Thai of course) There is no English translation of the valid terms of any insurance bought in Thailand. If there is one, it is not valid as the official terms must be written in Thai. My accident insurance I have seperately only paid out the max insurred 40,000 THB (50,000 THB when I would have died) what is a complete joke.

post-197672-0-76291100-1455118625_thumb.post-197672-0-67878500-1455118667_thumb.

So what hospital was she sent to to rack up a 1.8M debt...even if it includes the flight back, it's very expensive. Private hospital?

If she went to a Government hospital, she'd be an amputee a day after her accident. It all depends on how much you value your legs, arms, etc...

That is an often heard prejudice but absolutely nonsense. The government hospitals are working same as private and often the docs are employed in both hospitals even.

Folks, we must be a little more informed.

I used to own several travel agencies.

Travel insurers would pay us 40% commission.

So many times I made claims for people and by far the majority never got a cent.

The excuses that I heard from the insurers were unbelievable.

One reasonable sales rep even expressed to me the as a matter of course the first claim is refused automatically in the hope it will go away.

Having experienced refusal of a claim many years ago, I can believe you 100%. F#####g parasites. They rely on the fact 95% of people who have a claim refused won't drag them through the legal system because they don't have the resources.

1.8 million baht definitely sounds like a private hospital.

I continue to wonder why any tourists go to Phuket, given its horrific reputation.

people continue to go because travel agents don't make them aware of the dangers, they'd not sell many holidays if they did.

The problem is the tourists... not Thailand.

Insurance? No.

Experience of riding? No

Protective gear? No.

Riding in an unsafe manner? Yes.

It's clear to see who is at fault.

Not the truck driver who ran into her. He would be Thai of course. Do they ever have insurance !

I went travelling and was involved in an accident that required me to be taken to Samui, from KP, where I was given the necessary treatment to allow me to be flown to Bangkok for a further stay in hospital. I was eventually flown home with a medical professional on a flight to England, taking up a large section as I was laid flat on a stretcher. I was taken to the airport in an ambulance, and also met by one. My insurance company covered ALL of it, except the excess part. I dread to think what it would have cost for my care, a lot more than my insurance policy that's certain!

I would feel terrible putting my parents in a situation, where their security and older years would be spent paying for an accident, I was involved in.

I'm of the opinion that, if you can't afford the cost of insurance, you can't afford to go.

My accident was not my fault, I was hit at night by a local riding a scooter. Not only did they leave me after the accident, they also stole my stuff. I was walking between Had Rin Nok and Had Rin Nai at the time. It was not a great time in my life, but I will always be grateful to the New Zealand guy who found me, stayed with me, and also made sure I got the help I needed.

I wish the girl well, and her parents, with both her recovery, and the money issues its caused.

Thats a nice story to hear and I am glad the insurance company looked after you.

I am glad that my premiums on insurance policies I have never claimed on have helped you out.

Uninsured stories happen all the time but lets be honest the vast majority of people paying premiums do not get any benefits.

How many people out of those uninsured are unlucky enough to need it? It is an important question.

So the odds are in your favour that you wont need insurance.

So she was unlucky. Just that. Not stupid and does not need to be blamed.

If you are going travelling for a year or so the cost of insurance is worth it.

But if you actually live here for years then you will find the insurance is a high cost and you will risk living without it.

Or dying without it if that what it takes like all the other people in Asia.

When you live here then the fine print tends to exclude you.

Anyway take into account your situation and chose what is best for you.

If the motorbike she was riding pillion on was 'hit by a truck' might it be the Truck Drivers fault? Shouldn't the Trucks insurance pay for all medical bills?

I was stopped at red traffic lights. Thai driver in toyota truck ran into the back of me, slamming me into car in front driven by Thais. My insurance had to pay for damage to car in front, my car BHT 140'000, police let car behind me go because he had no insurance and told me ......Mai pen lai you have insurance. What they really meant was Mai pen lai you Farang !

Too bad she had the accident....hope she fully recovers and soon. But she "didn't forget" to get insurance....she just didn't want to pay for insurance. Too many young people always feel indestructible/think it will not happen to me.

Not just the young.

An astonishing number of TV members live here without insurance.

Travel insurance for a 2 week jolly is not the same thing as lifelong medical insurance.

Try getting it if you are over 70

I was stopped at red traffic lights. Thai driver in toyota truck ran into the back of me, slamming me into car in front driven by Thais. My insurance had to pay for damage to car in front, my car BHT 140'000, police let car behind me go because he had no insurance and told me ......Mai pen lai you have insurance. What they really meant was Mai pen lai you Farang !

According to the British newspapers today, she was hit by a taxi driver who fell asleep.

I am not sure of the vehicle involved.

How does she and / or her parents have the bill when the other driver went into them? I know TIT but there has to be a bit of logic applied and apparently there has been none in this case.

How can you be so smugly sure of yourself, when another poster here has already stated that they pulled out in front of the moving truck . In this case you need some logic yourself !

Shouldn't the truck driver that hit her be liable?

Oh sorry I forgot, this is Thailand.

Like the Chilean biker accident the truck driver has paid his 7500 baht fine and is back on the road again. Being she was not killed and only maimed the fine could be only 4,000 to 5000 bahts. He lives to kill another day. I am sure he has concocted all kinds of excuses in his feeble brain as to why he is innocent. Ah the Gods were with me.

Nothing to do with the gods mate. Truth is he had the correct Amulet hanging from his windscreen .........Wake up !

It is not just the young that think they have superhuman skills. There are thousands of old foreigners here chugging around on motorbikes and I might add have developed local ways.... no helmet, taking mad chances at U turns. Not stopping and looking at a junction just drive out, not checking over the shoulder on both sides before making a move left or right...the list goes on... and the death toll rises.

Heard yesterday of a foreigner hitting a pot hole at night. 2 broken wrists, a fractured skull and a bill for 350,000 baht.....10,000 U.S.

My global insurance for health and accidents is 440 pounds a year. Not 10,000 dollars or 35,000 pounds as in the case of this young girl.

Yes nice premium lonewolf99. Can you let the readers know what company is that policy with?

When you're over 70 as I am, most Insurance companies don't want to know you.

The others have extortionate premiums.

If you're not flush with cash, life is a huge gamble for the elderly, especially in Thailand.

Making inquiries i found some that said " 65 or under" which means that they will not take on anyone over this age. It really is almost impossible to get health insurance as a new customer over that age , and at 60 the policy is very expensive. I do have difficulty understanding this age thing, when i see some of the stupid things that young tourists do as opposed to the older ex pat who just wants a quiet life and a couple of beers.

This is but another example why the Thai government should institute an insurance tax on all foreigners who come into the country. Say it was 300 baht per person. That would be enough to offset these big medical bills as most tourist won't have to use the coverage. For those unfortunate few who have trouble here, the insurance will preclude massive charges for hospitalization and repatriation.

While I am not a fan of the Thai government putting taxes on foreigners, I would support a tourist tax in this case to cover costs of medical emergencies for people who come here and end up in an accident. Perhaps it was not her fault this accident happened but if the Thai driver at fault has no insurance she is still responsible for covering the costs of her hospitalization. If the Thai driver has no assets and cannot be held liable in court, it is still her problem and in this case it results in her parents having a major debt to help her out. Young people think that accidents only happen to others- in this case she was very wrong.

Taking Bht 300 off all tourists on entry reminds me of an old saying "Putting a Fox in charge of the Hen house" Some suthep or another would find away to access it.

I feel for the young lady. Those are the very injuries that left me disabled. A broken femur is difficult to recover from, a smashed knee cap, she be left with limited movement in her knee and, excruciatingly painful rehabilitation to force that broken joint to move daily until she reaches the pain-free zone of 90 degrees movement in the knee.

Insurance, or no insurance, all those on their moral high horse should think for one minute the extreme pain that young girl is in.

Every time that knee gets bent (forced), and must be bent daily, forcing it to move few millimeters more at a time feel like being shot through the knee cap, for 2 hrs every single day for about 6 months until she hits that 90 degree limit (after that, no idea why but the pain disappears).

It's more painful, far more painful than the initial accident and she'll be living that daily for around 6 months.

So spare a thought, while you prance around on your high horse taking the moral high ground debating the issue of her lack of insurance!

I have read this thread. And I have to say I lived in Thailand for a considerable time without insurance. But not for the want of trying to buy insurance.

So here's the thing. If you are a tourist, normally resident in your country, then buying travel insurance is no problem.

If you work here, your company may buy it for you, or if not, you can buy it yourself. No problem.

But if you are a world traveller, of no fixed abode (regardless of how many properties you might own around the world or how much you are worth!), you struggle to buy insurance if you are honest with your answers...

I wonder how many smug TV bloggers are here thinking they have insurance when, if push comes to shove, their insurance is invalid because of the small print,,,,,, which normally comes down to residency. A huge number of people are are not resident in their home country, which invalidates most insurance policies....

I am no longer in thailand but I am still uninsured...... Because I have yet to find a company that will insure me! I will check out some of the links that have been posted here though.

(the upside is I have saved a lot of money... hmmmmm... maybe.....)

My friend's son put his motorbike down in Phuket a few days ago. He lost control of the bike when trying to return to the surfaced road from the shoulder. There were no other vehicles around. He was not wearing a helmet or any protective clothing so suffered a lot of flesh wounds and perhaps a broken right hand. His father had to pay the bike owner 100,000 for the damage to the bike in order to get his son's passport back. He flew out last night for further medical care in Amsterdam. He was on a four-day trip to Phuket. Moral of the story: Don't ever rent a motorcycle in Thailand.

She did not "Forget" to take out travel insurance. She simply chose to not purchase any. All the credit cards I use carry a fair amount of travel accident insurance by themselves even if I don't purchase any policy. Of course I am pretty sure that unless one has a valid motorcycle license in their home country, I bet the insurer would say you were illegally driving the moped or motorbike and they would not pay anyway. So while it sounds like a small matter, if you plan on renting a motorbike in Thailand, you should make sure you have the proper driver license credentials

My friend's son put his motorbike down in Phuket a few days ago. He lost control of the bike when trying to return to the surfaced road from the shoulder. There were no other vehicles around. He was not wearing a helmet or any protective clothing so suffered a lot of flesh wounds and perhaps a broken right hand. His father had to pay the bike owner 100,000 for the damage to the bike in order to get his son's passport back. He flew out last night for further medical care in Amsterdam. He was on a four-day trip to Phuket. Moral of the story: Don't ever rent a motorcycle in Thailand.

If the man was at fault then I salute him and his family for making good on the damages. Well done. However, I would never rent a bike from a place that required me to leave my passport. You sometimes need your passport within arm's reach especially with some of the immigration checks going on. Always have a secondary type of driver's license such as an International driver's license. Give them a copy of your passport of course but never entrust them with the passport itself

Parents of gap year students should wise up and purchase insurance for their offspring as a pre preemptive strike.

(An annual policy inc motorbikes & adventure sports being much cheaper than graphically highlighted in this example!)

Do you not think that if they're mature enough and responsible enough to go travelling around the world on their own, or with their friends, that it is time they start taking care of things like insurance on their own bat....rather than leaving it up to "Mammy" to take care of it for them?

It’s so dangerous – Brits go to Thailand and think nothing of jumping on mopeds and doing things they’d never do at home.”

So why are they so stupid (not just Brits but also other nationalities) ?

Think back.... I believe I too went on a few holidays without travel insurance as a young 'un.

Back then the agent tried to sell it to you, nowadays nuisance pop-ups do.

That said many insurances would refuse cover for a motorcycle accident, as I suspect this girl did not have a motorcycle licence.

You don't see many mopeds in Thailand, and I doubt many could handle the Phuket hills.

There are many reputable insurers, and claims are met in full if genuine.

There is a myth in Thailand that only private hospitals such as one of the many branches of Bangkok Hospital, are the only ones where you will get

proper treatment! This is just not the case ! Many Government hospitals are excellent and no bill such as this would ever be racked up in a Government hospital.

Both I and friends have used the Government Hospital in Nathon on Samui, and found the treatment there both good and competent, and without a whole second bill

for medicines at exorbitant prices, and most of which were unnecessary !

Archived