Thai businessman charged for fatal collision amid mounting criticism

webfact

Do you think that without this enormous pressure from social media and this now becoming such a high profile case now because of it that ANY charges would have been laid?

But a continued campaign via social media against those in authority might force the issue...

Reform haha... That's just not going to happen... Sack of lock and the guilty and there would be no one left... Top to bottom.... And replace with who.?

It's inherent in Thai culture...it's going to take generations...

So name and shame is the only viable alternative...

Lots of talk etc, but even with all that i bet nothing will happen to this guy. Lots of talk and it will gradually fade away much like the Red Bull case.

The Red Bull guy is back in Bangkok regularly and nothing is ever said or done, even by papers like the Nation or BP (i would hesitate to speculate the reasons why they don't try and follow up) I expect he might have flown out again now however when it could potentially heat up.

Interesting comment. Please share the details, where / how does he regularly go in and out? Is his passport stamped in and out? Have you actually seen him? Where in Bangkok, what was he doing? etc..

Edited by scorecard

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think that without this enormous pressure from social media and this now becoming such a high profile case now because of it that ANY charges would have been laid?

But a continued campaign via social media against those in authority might force the issue...

Reform haha... That's just not going to happen... Sack of lock and the guilty and there would be no one left... Top to bottom.... And replace with who.?

It's inherent in Thai culture...it's going to take generations...

So name and shame is the only viable alternative...

Lots of talk etc, but even with all that i bet nothing will happen to this guy. Lots of talk and it will gradually fade away much like the Red Bull case.

The Red Bull guy is back in Bangkok regularly and nothing is ever said or done, even by papers like the Nation or BP (i would hesitate to speculate the reasons why they don't try and follow up) I expect he might have flown out again now however when it could potentially heat up.

Interesting comment. Please share the details, where / how does he regularly go in and out? Is his passport stamped in and out? Have you actually seen him? Where in Bangkok, what was he doing? etc..

It is difficult to share details. We have a mutual friend- said mutual friend was recently married in Surat- wedding photos were posted of the wedding and ceremony and he was in the photos.

Other more recent photos of Birthday celebrations in Bangkok he is also photographed.

For all we know he might have met his obligations with the courts and be awaiting trial, and be back here perfectly legitimately and openly. Otherwise i doubt it would be difficult for someone of his means to fly in and out on a private jet.

There have been several reports of him being back.

Likewise the Bangkok Post today mentions that Praewa (the girl that killed 9 in a minivan accident) has breached her court order by not doing community work.

These people will never be punished. They pay a few million baht (which is no great loss to them ...price of o new Ferrari) and all is forgotten.

Things will never change.

Probably you are right, however my problem is not with the particulars of this case or the level of guilt if the <deleted> being pursued. It's the fact that a prescedent is being set.

What if next time the campaign fails due to the fact the accused are innocent and some vigilante decides its time for street justice. They don't know the facts but lots of people say he/she is guilty and they act on that assumption.

It's already happened in the uk and no doubt elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong, I think this guy is guilty but the whole trial by social media is something that worries me.

What's more is that unless there is root and branch reform of the BIB there will be more of this type of campaign and someone judged guilty by netizens but in reality innocent will be hurt.

If not social media, what option is there? By all accounts the police had already given up by the time it came up on SM.

Despite the reform agenda, we have already been told there will be no reform of the police.

Again something with anyone with half a brain cell knew at the start of the 'reform' stuff. (apologies to Baerboxer etc)

I appear to be a minority here but the fact is, for me at least, that trial by social media is wrong. Yes the BIB are a bunch of inept, lazy, corrupt, useless <deleted>. That's not in doubt, however social media is not the answer.

Reform is the only answer. The fact this govt won't implement it does not make it any less correct.

If the netizens (oh how I hate that term) want to do something useful then campaign for that.

For as long as it takes.

No matter how long or arduous the journey is.

If they want justice then that's what they have to do.

It's a lot harder to do but it's the only answer.

Trial by media although wrong is right in this case.

The problem we all know is corruption - the Force- having to remove officers from this case after social media exposed the crime.

Thank goodnesss that dash cams and other footage exposed this, sadly if this was not exposed then someone might have evaded drink driving charges.

I did read in BK post that Thailand has a new law now for refusing a blood test, refusal makes you automatcaly guilty, same as in NZ if you refuse then you are worse off--- however it seemed there was going to be some beating about the bush in this instance.

So yes trial by social media is wrong,but in this case the exposure put pressure on the police to perform, so with corruption social media pressure is not wrong, it can only be wrong when the corruption is cleaned up.

Don't hold your breath. wai2.gif

Similar to the Red Bull heir, and Praewa the Honda mass killer, this guy won't ever see justice.

The police save face by arresting him, the media save face by screaming their indignation at this latest outrage, the law courts save face by convicting him, the killer appeals, the case drags on for years, bribes and hush money are exchanged, and the media eventually lose interest (again).

Likewise the Bangkok Post today mentions that Praewa (the girl that killed 9 in a minivan accident) has breached her court order by not doing community work.

These people will never be punished. They pay a few million baht (which is no great loss to them ...price of o new Ferrari) and all is forgotten.

Not only that but also that her family lodged a complaint with The Ombudsman when an official tried to make her do the community work in the mandated way. Shameless and clueless.

In respect of this case, is it unreported that he has been charged with drunk driving and resisting arrest, in addition to the recklessness causing death? The father turned up at the second funeral , smiling as if it were a photo op ( picture The Nation, front page).

Meanwhile the govt spokesperson said: "we will not let the public feel that the rich are shielded or are beyond the law".) Perish the thought.

Similar to the Red Bull heir, and Praewa the Honda mass killer, this guy won't ever see justice.

The police save face by arresting him, the media save face by screaming their indignation at this latest outrage, the law courts save face by convicting him, the killer appeals, the case drags on for years, bribes and hush money are exchanged, and the media eventually lose interest (again).

Yep, FACE, DELAY- FORGOTTEN, the Mantra of Smile-land..........wai2.gifwai2.gif

Not only that but also that her family lodged a complaint with The Ombudsman when an official tried to make her do the community work in the mandated way. Shameless and clueless.

In respect of this case, is it unreported that he has been charged with drunk driving and resisting arrest, in addition to the recklessness causing death? The father turned up at the second funeral , smiling as if it were a photo op ( picture The Nation, front page).

Meanwhile the govt spokesperson said: "we will not let the public feel that the rich are shielded or are beyond the law".) Perish the thought.

Praewa was charged with driving without a licence, reckless driving causing death and injury, property damage and using a mobile phone while driving; the result of killing 9 people and injuring 4 others. The sentence was a joke. This guy only killed 2 people, so I presume he'll do less community service.

The first picture of this guy's father with the police was of him with his hands in his pockets and a look of pure arrogance on his face. He already knows the outcome. How does he sleep at night!

How does he sleep at night!

Like a baby. He is literally treated like a God, every waking moment there are ass kissers bowing and scraping to him. Why do these people live on their knees is an equally valid question. Easily answered, though. They see the roles reversed in the next life.

My days are numbered here. While the people I live with are gentle and friendly, the values of this place are such that I no longer want to be even a small part of it.

Edited by deckape

Like a baby. He is literally treated like a God, every waking moment there are ass kissers bowing and scraping to him. Why do these people live on their knees is an equally valid question. Easily answered, though. They see the roles reversed in the next life.

My days are numbered here. While the people I live with are gentle and friendly, the values of this place are such that I no longer want to be even a small part of it.

"... He is literally treated like a God, every waking moment there are ass kissers bowing and scraping to him. Why do these people live on their knees is an equally valid question. Easily answered, though. They see the roles reversed in the next life."

No doubt true for some. I suggest an even bigger number bow and scrap because of one simple factor - fear.

I'm of the same mind, unfortunately my wife is tied into a contract to repay study loan and counting down the days to retire from a government position that gives her a pension even if o/seas. So my plan is a few years away yet, unfortunately.

After nearly 20 years, the values here are declining rapidly without any foreseeable improvement and I see a major upheaval in the not too distant future.

"...and the media eventually lose interest (again)" This may well be true, but I suggest there's two more points:

- Newspapers in Thailand are NOT investigative, never have been and regardless of lots of talk a year ago about media reform I haven't noticed any reform whatever. Have you? (Meaning a broad you.)

- Reporters (they are not journalists) follow a well trodden / well defined oprom (procedure) and never waver. 'investigative' or 'follow up' is NOT part of the procedure. and Thai reporters would never challenge the procedure.

"...and the media eventually lose interest (again)" This may well be true, but I suggest there's two more points:

- Newspapers in Thailand are NOT investigative, never have been and regardless of lots of talk a year ago about media reform I haven't noticed any reform whatever. Have you? (Meaning a broad you.)

- Reporters (they are not journalists) follow a well trodden / well defined oprom (procedure) and never waver. 'investigative' or 'follow up' is NOT part of the procedure. and Thai reporters would never challenge the procedure.

Correct, the majority of Thai reporters are only story writers and usually poor ones at that.

Again, see the pictures and just look at what that Mercedes did to that Fiesta...

Incredible, isn't it?

It almost makes me want to spend an obscene amount of money to buy one here.

More to do with the relative weight of the two vehicles more than any engineering.

Bananastan at its best! In best case scenario the driver-killer will shave his head and eyebrows and do a temple thingy to receive buddhistic pardon. The temple will get buddhistic envelope and everybody happy. (gently added to happiness statistics of uncle big)

Bananastan at its best! In best case scenario the driver-killer will shave his head and eyebrows and do a temple thingy to receive buddhistic pardon. The temple will get buddhistic envelope and everybody happy. (gently added to happiness statistics of uncle big)

Or put it another way.. whoops I screwed up, never mind, what's the silly boring steps i need to follow to get back to fun fun fun and along the way daddy will pay out as needed.

Praewa was charged with driving without a licence, reckless driving causing death and injury, property damage and using a mobile phone while driving; the result of killing 9 people and injuring 4 others. The sentence was a joke. This guy only killed 2 people, so I presume he'll do less community service.

The first picture of this guy's father with the police was of him with his hands in his pockets and a look of pure arrogance on his face. He already knows the outcome. How does he sleep at night!

Who knows what he will do but the public is sick and tired of these so-called hi so brats and their anti-social behaviour and the kid gloves treatment they get from the police and the courts.

Praewa petitioned to have the community work order duration reduced because "she is busy". The mother of one of the people she killed ( unlicensed, texting while driving at high speed, photographed as calm as anything on the freeway after the accident talking on her 'phone) said all along that she would never complete the order and is proven correct. This girl belongs in prison or juvenile detention and should think herself very lucky not to be there...and yet her family has the bare-faced gall to claim persecution. These are people without shame , the lowest of the low despite their self-proclaimed hiso status. Vile and rotten.

Edited by Prbkk

Who knows what he will do but the public is sick and tired of these so-called hi so brats and their anti-social behaviour and the kid gloves treatment they get from the police and the courts.

Praewa petitioned to have the community work order duration reduced because "she is busy". The mother of one of the people she killed ( unlicensed, texting while driving at high speed, photographed as calm as anything on the freeway after the accident talking on her 'phone) said all along that she would never complete the order and is proven correct. This girl belongs in prison or juvenile detention and should think herself very lucky not to be there...and yet her family has the bare-faced gall to claim persecution. These are people without shame , the lowest of the low despite their self-proclaimed hiso status. Vile and rotten.

jup and these are the people RULING this country, fearing and oppressing (from within their ivory tower) any form of SUBSTANTIAL social reforms/revolution because (quote) 'THAILAND NOT READY FOR DEMOCRACY"

LOS: land of sµckers!

I don't disagree with anything you say.

However I wonder if this is a brat which the parents have developed to the point where the parents are frightened of her / frightened of displeasing her?

This has precedence: it's well documented that in general terms many Thai parents never discuss right and wrong with their kids because they are frightened their kids will not love them. I have the same thing, exactly the same thing in my outer circle Thai family.

Big picture simple example, when my Thai son was at university in Bangkok he often brought 2 or 3 buddies home.

When he walked in the door of our condo he always came straight to me and gave a kiss on the cheek(same with his mother) and started talking, sometimes in great detail, about his events today. His buddies were always shocked, you could see it on their faces.

It often produced side comments like: 'xxx do you talk to your father / mother?'

Edited by scorecard

I don't disagree with anything you say.

However I wonder if this is a brat which the parents have developed to the point where the parents are frightened of her / frightened of displeasing her?

This has precedence: it's well documented that in general terms many Thai parents never discuss right and wrong with their kids because they are frightened their kids will not love them. I have the same thing, exactly the same thing in my outer circle Thai family.

Big picture simple example, when my Thai son was at university in Bangkok he often brought 2 or 3 buddies home.

When he walked in the door of our condo he always came straight to me and gave a kiss on the cheek(same with his mother) and started talking, sometimes in great detail, about his events today. His buddies were always shocked, you could see it on their faces.

It often produced side comments like: 'xxx do you talk to your father / mother?'

My daughter is just the same, her mates think its great!!!

According to BP he's being charged with 3 more offences.

Yep

The BP also goes on to mention that the Red Bull Heir's case may be taken up again. Apparently the original prosecutor in the case died. I don't remember reading that anywhere.

So it is almost certainly true that he is back in Bangkok.

Come the revolution, past history has dictated who has the one way trip up the stairs.

When the revolution comes, I hope people like this guy, Praewa and the Red Bull heir are the first on the scaffold, heads sliced off, with gangster cops and corrupt bureaucrats next.

Quite within the realms of the possible, one event and the outfall from it will be the trigger.

When the revolution comes, I hope people like this guy, Praewa and the Red Bull heir are the first on the scaffold, heads sliced off, with gangster cops and corrupt bureaucrats next.

Quite within the realms of the possible, one event and the outfall from it will be the trigger.

In a country with so much in the way of natural resources and relatively high financial wealth, it should have been easy to move society forward in an inclusive way. But there are no real leaders or statespeople: just an endless succession of blatantly vested interest representatives masquerading as leaders. Sadly, no amount of tomfoolery/repression is going to keep a lid on even this mostly easy-going and quite pliant populace for many more years.

Yep

The BP also goes on to mention that the Red Bull Heir's case may be taken up again. Apparently the original prosecutor in the case died. I don't remember reading that anywhere.

Hope it does get taken up again. Also hope they can catch him before he disappears again.

Several have mentioned he's in Bangkok now, my guess is that means he's going in and out without passport stamps (but maybe not true), perhaps same in and out of Singapore although I guess that would be much harder for at laest one matter - probably difficult to find a Singaporean who would take the risk of smuggling him in and out.

Yep

Hope it does get taken up again. Also hope they can catch him before he disappears again.

Several have mentioned he's in Bangkok now, my guess is that means he's going in and out without passport stamps (but maybe not true), perhaps same in and out of Singapore although I guess that would be much harder for at laest one matter - probably difficult to find a Singaporean who would take the risk of smuggling him in and out.

It would be good to see him in court but according to today's BP the assigned prosecutor has died and that has caused a delay.