THE England thread

rijit

Played well. Three virtual tap ins for Rhian, but you have to be in the right place, right time! Foden as good as ever and the defence, especially Latibeaudiere, much more solid in 2nd half (despite what the idiot pundit on Eurosport was coming out with!)

Spain cruised to victory 3-1. Mali played as individuals and were easily beaten in the end.

Final on Saturday at 21:30 Thai time. A repeat of the Euros Final when Spain equalised in 6th minute of injury time and won on pens.

Having seen the tremendous achievements of the U17 and U20 sides in particular, along with combinable performances at other levels surely we're coming to an era of younger talent whereby if clubs don't put trust in them and give them a go at premier league level soon they never will?

Something at youth level seems to be working, will it be built on?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carmine said:

Having seen the tremendous achievements of the U17 and U20 sides in particular, along with combinable performances at other levels surely we're coming to an era of younger talent whereby if clubs don't put trust in them and give them a go at premier league level soon they never will?

The young City players dream of a move to Tottenham.

I do hope Southgate was at the King Power stadium yesterday. There were 6 young English prospects on show. Demari Gray was outstanding in the first half for Leicester. His run for the 1st goal was sensational. Get him in the squad for the upcoming friendlies.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, champers said:

I do hope Southgate was at the King Power stadium yesterday. There were 6 young English prospects on show. Demari Gray was outstanding in the first half for Leicester. His run for the 1st goal was sensational. Get him in the squad for the upcoming friendlies.

Where it will be coached out of him :whistling:

4 hours ago, carmine said:

Take Foden as an example: in order to break in to first team he has to dislodge a few world class, experienced players and that isn't going to happen.  The players ahead of him learned their trade having been given opportunities at their previous clubs.  Foden may never get that experience.

In truth, it would be better if he was at Burnley right now, or Oldham, etc.

1 hour ago, carmine said:

All this young talent coming through, but does anyone think a national coach with Southgate credentials and trophy haul will particularly inspire them!!!

Not sure! But I would say it is becoming clear that a good club coach does not automatically make a good national coach.  Southgate was a success as the under 21 coach.

3 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Take Foden as an example: in order to break in to first team he has to dislodge a few world class, experienced players and that isn't going to happen.  The players ahead of him learned their trade having been given opportunities at their previous clubs.  Foden may never get that experience.

In truth, it would be better if he was at Burnley right now, or Oldham, etc.

Pep really likes Foden and took him on the American tour in summer. He purposely didn't send him out on loan with some of the other youngsters as he wants to give him a chance. He also let him go to the U17's WC to get that extra higher level experience. I, for one, will be disappointed if Pep doesn't give the lad a few run outs this season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, champers said:

By "rivals" I mean the other 5 of the top 6. So, would you have sold Iheanacho to Spurs or Liverpool, for example?

I seem to remember Leicester won the Prem recently !! :smile: I get what your saying champs and TBH I'm not aware of any such strategy but I'm not sure

6 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Pep really likes Foden and took him on the American tour in summer. He purposely didn't send him out on loan with some of the other youngsters as he wants to give him a chance. He also let him go to the U17's WC to get that extra higher level experience. I, for one, will be disappointed if Pep doesn't give the lad a few run outs this season.

I think 17 is rather a tender age to be pitched in with the seniors anyway, though there have been exceptions such as Rooney, and Owen.  But all these youngsters could really do with regular matches at around 19 or 20.  If they are not being played they should be loaned out at this age maybe to Championship teams, or foreign leagues.  This happens quite often anyway, so I suppose they are getting their chance now, one way or another. 

Again taking Foden as an example, despite being a special talent the odds are against him making the city team before the age of 21, and even then to do it he needs to be up to premiership pace, and there is little chance of that happening if he is not playing real football regularly.  I remember Sinclair was on fire when he joined City, but then spent a year or two in the wilderness, and there have been others to.  I'm not having a go at City by the way, as the same applies to Chelsea, et al.

I would like to see a regulation for the FA cup where premier league teams must field 1 or 2 academy players in a tie.  If that was successful then it could be expanded.  Applied to the league this would ensure that no premier team is at a disadvantage with each other.  it would encourage the teams to further develop their young players, and maybe the youngsters would flourish to such an extent that teams would not feel compelled to splash cash on foreign players.

• Like 1