Thai term for fuel filter?

Sheryl

I have a 2001 Honda City with 178,000 km on it. Now having great trouble accelerating after a stop or even after slowing down (runs OK once its going at speed) and am hoping it is just a dirty/clogged fuel filter -- filter has definitely not been changed in the last 100,000 km, no idea before that.

I am also hoping - though this is iffy - that the local place that does oil changes and the like (light service, no serious repairs) can do this. Because if not, it's a long trip to try and find a mechanic who can.

Can anyone tell me what its called in Thai script?

Also - since the diagnostic skills of those folk is open to question and conversation with them also not easy - i am thinking to just tell them flat out to change it on the theory that it can't hurt even if it proves not to be the cause of the problem. Does this sound reasonable?

BTW, don't know if coincidence or not but the problem started immedidately after the tank ran almost (not quite tho) empty and was refilled.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would reverse the two words. "krong" is the generic term for filter, so what it filters should come after, just like in French and unlike most Anglo-Saxon languages.

Thais more commonly use the word "benzin" in my experience for fuel (เชื้อเพลิง). Provided of course it's not a diesel car, in this case it's "nam man solar"

I would reverse the two words. "krong" is the generic term for filter, so what it filters should come after, just like in French and unlike most Anglo-Saxon languages.

Thais more commonly use the word "benzin" in my experience for fuel (เชื้อเพลิง). Provided of course it's not a diesel car, in this case it's "nam man solar"

Correct, the word is "Krong-Nam-man-Chua-phloeng" (กรองน้ำมันเชื้อเพลิง), or just "Krong-nam-man".

It is often a good idea to tell the workshop what to do. If you just leave it there and tell them "it's not running right" - there is no telling where the imagination will take them.......however if it proves not to be the fuel filter, it is still advisable to look at cheaper options first...........air filters etc.....but most of this would restrict your high speed performance too.

Every mechanic (and I use that term generously) that I've come across understands the Thai loan word "fil-der". Rising tone at the end, as in "eli-cop-der"

And your diagnosis of the problem could be a number of things so don't assume it's just the fuel filter. Could also be attributable to a clogged air filter, dirty/blocked injectors, worn out plugs, poor tuning/mapping, air leak in the injector rail.

Definitely not the air filter as just changed it about a month back.

I am not sure thsi car has a fuel injector. Specs say "indirect injection". What does that mean?

Alas all my attempts to say "Fil-der" meet with incomprehension, maybe my pronounciation, I don't know. Generally my Thai is well understood but that word never gets across (even though you'd think it is obvious in the context of an oil change).

I am not sure thsi car has a fuel injector. Specs say "indirect injection". What does that mean?

Alas all my attempts to say "Fil-der" meet with incomprehension, maybe my pronounciation, I don't know. Generally my Thai is well understood but that word never gets across (even though you'd think it is obvious in the context of an oil change).

star.gifน้ำมันphr_link.gifspeaker_sm.gif namH manM oil; gasoline; fuel

Dear Sheryl.

You should add "Saighong nam maan benzine and you'll be understood. A few words about your problem. You wrote that it happened after refilling your tank that was almost empty.? It happens all the time that they add water, or anything else inside benzine, or Diesel oil, which could be your problem.

To your question:

Indirect injection in an internal combustion engine is fuel injection where fuel is not directly injected into the combustion chamber. Gasoline engines are usually equipped with indirect injection systems, wherein a fuel injector delivers the fuel at some point before the intake valve.

If it isn't some very low quality benzine, there're various things to check. Honda uses plenty of vacuum tubes to open and close valves, instead of a little motor.

​ Such a vacuum leak can cause your problem. The next would be to check inside the distributor cap if there're some black marks. The material is called Bagelite and if there're some visible black scratches, the spark doesn't necessarily go the the right cylinder, usually 1-3-4-2 ( firing order of a 4 cylinder engine)

When did you change your spark plugs the last time? Please check the spark plug cables for little cuts, you can see black marks, if there's a spark not getting to the spark plug and might have contact to minus.

Please report back what happened and we'll walk you through. Cheers-wai2.gif

P.S. You can check for any vacuum leaks with a flammable brake cleaner. Just spray on all vacuum tubes while the engine is idling. If the sound changes into higher RPM, you've found the leak.

Good luck finding the culprit.

P.S. Show your "mechanics" the video.

Of course, there are at least the oil filter, the fuel filter and the air filter.

Just put Air, Benzine or Solar in front of my funny noise, but then some here only want to make someting easy difficult for reasons best known to themselves.giggle.gif

Your car has 4 fuel injectors. They are "indirect injection" because they spray the fuel into the intake manifold. Direct injection engines have the fuel injector spray fuel directly into the combustion chamber. All modern diesels and the newer high tech gasoline engines are direct injection.

On a piece of paper ...draw a petrol pump ...then a tank (petrol not war ☺) then a wavey line (or straight) then the word fil-ter and My d. He should grasp what you want ... hopefully ☺☺

Of course, there are at least the oil filter, the fuel filter and the air filter.

No, Sheryl, I mean fuel filters - my guess is there will be one associated with the injectors and another near the tank. you mention lack of performance it is unlikely the oil filter will manifest itself thus.

You say the air filter is new - so long as it hasn't got wet or you haven't been off-roading in the dust, that should be OK - mind you it wouldn't be th first time i've noticed one installed incorrectly. Very easy to check though....just take it out and drive without it for a few yards ....

fuel iines though are a different matter - you need to find out where the filters are, or if there is anything else on Hondas that commonly causes lack of performance.

No, Sheryl, I mean fuel filters - my guess is there will be one associated with the injectors and another near the tank. you mention lack of performance it is unlikely the oil filter will manifest itself thus.

You say the air filter is new - so long as it hasn't got wet or you haven't been off-roading in the dust, that should be OK - mind you it wouldn't be th first time i've noticed one installed incorrectly. Very easy to check though....just take it out and drive without it for a few yards ....

fuel iines though are a different matter - you need to find out where the filters are, or if there is anything else on Hondas that commonly causes lack of performance.

all the Hondas I have seen have one fuel filter mounted in the engine compartment.

I finally tracked down the good mechanic I had used for years....he had moved and no one knew to where.

Took it to him rather than risk changing fuel filter only to not solve the problem (if indeed the folks at the local service place could even do that....they are devotees of the mai mee/mai dee school of Thai thought. I use them for simple things like oil change only because they are walking distance to my house, convenient when have to leave the car off).

The good mechanic (located 30 minutes away) gave it a short test drive and immediately pronounced it as a clutch problem. On the way there I had experimented with revving in neutral before starting and it made no difference whereas I think it should if problem anywhere in the fuel line...

?

He won't know till he takes it out if need to replace or not.

I'm having him change the fuel filter anyhow while at it since not expensive and never been done.

Hopefully will be back in running orderby tomorrow evening, as I have trip planned to Rayong Friday,nonrefundable accomodations...which is why, for those who may have wondered, I didn"t take it to Honda to service. They always have a huge backlog, typically 3 day wait to even check the car then later apppintment to fix.

Back to original query, while as it turns put likely irrelevant to current problem, "krong/khlong nam mun benzin" works fine. :)

I finally tracked down the good mechanic I had used for years....he had moved and no one knew to where.

Took it to him rather than risk changing fuel filter only to not solve the problem (if indeed the folks at the local service place could even do that....they are devotees of the mai mee/mai dee school of Thai thought. I use them for simple things like oil change only because they are walking distance to my house, convenient when have to leave the car off).

The good mechanic (located 30 minutes away) gave it a short test drive and immediately pronounced it as a clutch problem. On the way there I had experimented with revving in neutral before starting and it made no difference whereas I think it should if problem anywhere in the fuel line...

?

I'm having him change the fuel filter anyhow while at it since not expensive and never been done.

Hopefully will be back in running orderby tomorrow evening, as I have trip planned to Rayong Friday,nonrefundable accomodations...which is why, for those who may have wondered, I didn"t take it to Honda to service. They always have a huge backlog, typically 3 day wait to even check the car then later apppintment to fix.

Back to original query, while as it turns put likely irrelevant to current problem, "krong/khlong nam mun benzin" works fine. smile.png

If you have a faulty clutch, you'll feel a much higher RPM having the same speed as you had before.

Look for the simple things first.Here's how you can check your clutch:

Put in the first gear, step on the brake and the throttle. Then slowly let the clutch pedal back, the engine should die instantly.

Good luck.

?

Back to original query, while as it turns put likely irrelevant to current problem, "krong/khlong nam mun benzin" works fine. smile.png

If you have a faulty clutch, you'll feel a much higher RPM having the same speed as you had before.

Look for the simple things first.Here's how you can check your clutch:

Put in the first gear, step on the brake and the throttle. Then slowly let the clutch pedal back, the engine should die instantly.

Good luck.

best to pick a higher gear.

Every mechanic (and I use that term generously) that I've come across understands the Thai loan word "fil-der". Rising tone at the end, as in "eli-cop-der"

And your diagnosis of the problem could be a number of things so don't assume it's just the fuel filter. Could also be attributable to a clogged air filter, dirty/blocked injectors, worn out plugs, poor tuning/mapping, air leak in the injector rail.

+1. if they can't understand "filter" you probably don't want them working on your car.

all the Hondas I have seen have one fuel filter mounted in the engine compartment.

...and another with the pump?

...and another with the pump?
no

+1. if they can't understand "filter" you probably don't want them working on your car.

Haven't found anyone out here who understands the word "filter" no matter how I try to sound it, and that includes the auto parts store and the (experience-tested) good mechanic. They do understand "krong/khlong" (pronounced somewhere between the 2).

So Sheryl, I'm curious.

You mentioned in your OP that your car was slow to accellerate. But if you have a slipping clutch that is so worn that increased pressure on the gas pedal doesn't result in appropriately increased speed, then the engine should be revving its nuts off and the rev counter would be heading out the drivers door when you tried to accellerate normally.

And if you continually tried to increase the speed and the clutch kept slipping, there would be a noticeable aroma coming through the air vents. Ahhhhh, the delicious aroma of a burnt out clutch. Nearly as aromatic as an old two-smoker from the 70's.

Is this happening or did you fail to notice this symptom? Because if you had, we could have told you the Thai words for "clutch" instead of fil-der.

On the other hand, if you didn't hear noticably increased engine noise and a climbing rev counter (and the smell), then your mechanic's diagnosis is wrong.

It's been said by others but here's a short rundown to test the clutch your self.

Engine running on a level surface, handbrake off, engage 3rd gear, try to cautiously move forward by slipping the clutch moderately. If you are able to fully engage the clutch and the engine revs its nuts off and the car hardly moves and doesn't judder or stall - clutch buggered, plus it will smell sickly sweet.. If it stalls easily or judders forward and stalls, clutch ok. Repeat the experiment several times to get the feel of it.

Anyway, i'd like to know if you had incresed revs as i described earlier, because that will be the clincher for the diagnosis. thumbsup.gif

Archived