Harbor Mall. Now that it's open...

NanLaew

The name say it all...it's "Value Max" I believe. Their target is the more value oriented Thai and foreign shopper and so they have a very limited selection of imported stuff. For those things, one still has to make the rounds of Villa, Gourmet Market, and Foodland. However, it's nice having a cluster of two supermarkets right next to each other (and three very close with Big C Extra just down the block). The addition of at least four coffee shops as well is a nice convience factor as well.

I didn't realise it was open 24 hours. That will be useful on my Foodland late night shopping trips - checking out the specials.

you will actually walk back and forth comparing prices/specials to save a few baht ?

normal average people do. have you heard of coupons?

He's making the same assumption that Thais do - that all foreigners are so rich they don't need discounts.

Edited by tropo

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The name say it all...it's "Value Max" I believe. Their target is the more value oriented Thai and foreign shopper and so they have a very limited selection of imported stuff. For those things, one still has to make the rounds of Villa, Gourmet Market, and Foodland. However, it's nice having a cluster of two supermarkets right next to each other (and three very close with Big C Extra just down the block). The addition of at least four coffee shops as well is a nice convience factor as well.
I didn't realise it was open 24 hours. That will be useful on my Foodland late night shopping trips - checking out the specials.

you will actually walk back and forth comparing prices/specials to save a few baht ?

He's making the same assumption that Thais do - that all foreigners are so rich they don't need discounts.

Max Value appears to have a rebate program...I bought 500 baht or so worth of stuff and paid cash and my receipt had a 25 baht discount voucher on my next purchase printed on it. Edited by Rimmer
Quote fixed

Max Value appears to have a rebate program...I bought 500 baht or so worth of stuff and paid cash and my receipt had a 25 baht discount voucher on my next purchase printed on it.

Interesting. 5% discount at a supermarket is nothing to sneeze at, although we better keep this on the low in case we are chastised by richer members who frown upon penny pinching. LOL

That area with seating and a microwave oven for eating anything purchased in Max Value is going to be a hit with foreigners once word gets out. After 9pm most of the meals are discounted 30% - 50%.

Max Value appears to have a rebate program...I bought 500 baht or so worth of stuff and paid cash and my receipt had a 25 baht discount voucher on my next purchase printed on it.

Interesting. 5% discount at a supermarket is nothing to sneeze at, although we better keep this on the low in case we are chastised by richer members who frown upon penny pinching. LOL

That area with seating and a microwave oven for eating anything purchased in Max Value is going to be a hit with foreigners once word gets out. After 9pm most of the meals are discounted 30% - 50%.

Yes a good deal...and I assume it's ongoing and not off and on like Foodland's discount coupons (and also a general discount...not just cold cuts and bakery). Just look at the bottom of the receipt for the big numerals formthe discount amount as the script will be in Thai.

Yep, lots of pre-cooked entres but mostly Japanese and Thai dishes.

Having not properly seen the lower three floors I went again today.

Navigating around the car park was as slow and tedious as previously.

There are several much more interesting food shops on the lower floors, some of which have been mentioned. One that I dont think was mentioned is a self-service buffet khanom jinn place that was doing great business at 89B (or was it 119B: the signs were in Thai only). Had I not already eaten I would definitely have tried it, and I will definitely be going back for it.

The cooked food in MaxValue was quite interesting and unusual, and I saw a fairly wide selection of organic fresh produce at expectedly high prices.

I noticed that Wednesday is some sort of special fresh food day with special promos and reductions.

May even draw some counter squatters away from that pretty atrocious Took Lae Dee 'restaurant' inside Foodland?

The electronics outlets at Harbor...

post-167660-0-48585200-1461215455_thumb.

A listing of many (not all) of the food outlets...

post-167660-0-37869600-1461215478_thumb.

PS...sorry about that...the forum software automatically formated my portrait pics to landscape mode. Turn your head 90° to view ?

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Iam not making any assumptions and I always use my foodland coupons however going from one shop to the next to save a baht or 2 on a can of baked beans is something that always baffles me.

Reminds me of those back home who will spend 30 minutes driving to the other-side of town to fill up their car with fuel cause the petrol station there is 2 cents a litre cheaper....... thats a massive saving of one whole dollar on a 50lt tank, the stupid idiots have spent more than that in fuel and wear and tear on their vehicle (not to mention time) to do so.

Harbor Notes...

For those with youngins or adults into it, there's an anime festival going on at Harbor this weekend. No films but figurines on display and maybe some live demonstrations.

The Starbucks has a meeting room available to patrons...it's the first I've ever seen in a SBs. There is a glass-walled conference room at one end of the cafe with a boardroom table and 10-12 chairs. So any group or business or whoever need a meeting space and some coffee here's the place.

Cheap eats...the Thai and limited farang cooked food on offer at the Max Value store is really cheap...maybe even cheaper than street food (I don't know as I never eat street food) and surely more hygienic and there is an air-con eating area in which to eat if you want. Example: A decent sized Thai omelette over rice (no meat) is 20 baht. Deep fried pork cutlet and curry sauce over rice around 40 baht.

The carpark is a bit odd...there doesn't seem to be any direct access to the mall from the parking structure. The only way I could into the mall from my parking spot on the 2nd floor was to use the carpark stairway to return to the ground floor and walk out of the carpark and use a street-level entrance to the mall. On the third or forth floor of the mall, at the back, there is access to the carpark. This may be remedied when the back areas of the mall are fitted-out as they are still working on these areas.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Iam not making any assumptions and I always use my foodland coupons however going from one shop to the next to save a baht or 2 on a can of baked beans is something that always baffles me.

Reminds me of those back home who will spend 30 minutes driving to the other-side of town to fill up their car with fuel cause the petrol station there is 2 cents a litre cheaper....... thats a massive saving of one whole dollar on a 50lt tank, the stupid idiots have spent more than that in fuel and wear and tear on their vehicle (not to mention time) to do so.

I'm not that kind of budget guy. I will not cross town to save a few baht, but I also don't think anyone should ever make fun of someone on a tight budget trying to save a few baht. You don't know the position of that person you're poking fun at.

For example, you wouldn't know that I support a lot of very poor people in the PI, so I always keep that in mind before I go out and splash money around... money saved here helps people there.

If your budget is that tight you probably should not be shopping at foodland and maxvalue then.

How tight? I didn't say how tight I am but rather indicated I don't splash money around, am mindful of how much I spend, and avail myself of discounts if on offer. It's all rather subjective. The truth be known as I live in South Pattaya I won't often shop at Foodland or Harbor Mall.

Harbor Notes...

The carpark is a bit odd...there doesn't seem to be any direct access to the mall from the parking structure. The only way I could into the mall from my parking spot on the 2nd floor was to use the carpark stairway to return to the ground floor and walk out of the carpark and use a street-level entrance to the mall. On the third or forth floor of the mall, at the back, there is access to the carpark. This may be remedied when the back areas of the mall are fitted-out as they are still working on these areas.

How long before the back areas are fitted out and this is fixed??

Harbor Notes...

Long as it takes. No need to panic, surely.

Next.

Great photo of the toilet!!!

Well it is kinda unique, don't think I've seen a stall with both adult and children's toilets before...urinals yes but toilets no.

Ahhhh. I thought they had no doors.

Still a bit odd. Not like they BOTH need to go at the same time.

Harbor Notes...

Next.

Went last friday and again yesterday and there is a automatic glass door entrance on 2nd floor (corner) - same floor as lady/children parking. I went up to 2C parking lvl and plenty of space with short staircase down to entrance.

Was very impressed as lots of food options plus MaxValue store in the basement.

Plenty of play options with the 'cheaper' one being very good value compared to other similar set-ups in Pattaya - 100 baht for kids and 20 baht for parents for unlimited time.

The Harbour Land play zone was also good fun and with its higher prices (350 baht for child over 105cm and 150 baht for adults for 3 hours) which led to it being busy but not crowded - be interesting to see how it gets on at those prices after school holidays and novelty value wears off.

Look forward to the ice rink opening in Sept.

Harbor Notes...

Next.

Went last friday and again yesterday and there is a automatic glass door entrance on 2nd floor (corner) - same floor as lady/children parking. I went up to 2C parking lvl and plenty of space with short staircase down to entrance.

Was very impressed as lots of food options plus MaxValue store in the basement.

Plenty of play options with the 'cheaper' one being very good value compared to other similar set-ups in Pattaya - 100 baht for kids and 20 baht for parents for unlimited time.

The Harbour Land play zone was also good fun and with its higher prices (350 baht for child over 105cm and 150 baht for adults for 3 hours) which led to it being busy but not crowded - be interesting to see how it gets on at those prices after school holidays and novelty value wears off.

Look forward to the ice rink opening in Sept.

Oops - just noticed the kidzoonia play area (cheaper one) is a special offer until 30th April and then goes up to Bt.320 for kids over 105cm and Bt.100 for parents (weekdays before 6pm) so maybe not the deal I first thought it was.

Went there around 3 PM today to pick up some things at MaxValue and found business surprisingly good. By sheer luck I got a motorbike parking space just before the entrance to the lot, and I got thru the very back entrance under some scaffolding. Appears the new branch of the Bangkok Dance school was putting on a show and so the area in front of MaxValue was packed out w/ proud families watching and taking videos of their precious angels perform. It was all terminally cute. Some great students, though.

Food court w/ the microwave, packed. But it's pretty small; they should expand that area.

Traffic on Klang wasn't bad at this particular time. I guess all that means is that sometimes there'll be no traffic jam. ;) Glad I was out before 5.

Went there around 3 PM today to pick up some things at MaxValue and found business surprisingly good. By sheer luck I got a motorbike parking space just before the entrance to the lot, and I got thru the very back entrance under some scaffolding. Appears the new branch of the Bangkok Dance school was putting on a show and so the area in front of MaxValue was packed out w/ proud families watching and taking videos of their precious angels perform. It was all terminally cute. Some great students, though.

Food court w/ the microwave, packed. But it's pretty small; they should expand that area.

Traffic on Klang wasn't bad at this particular time. I guess all that means is that sometimes there'll be no traffic jam. wink.png Glad I was out before 5.

Weren't you the guy predicting its imminent demise...or was that someone else?

Traffic on Klang wasn't bad at this particular time. I guess all that means is that sometimes there'll be no traffic jam. wink.png Glad I was out before 5.

Good gawd no. Just the opposite: I was one of the first to predict success on the basis of rational economics. The worst idiot on this particular topic (and a few others) seems to have been given a permanent vacation, as was coming sooner or later. :)

Good gawd no. Just the opposite: I was one of the first to predict success on the basis of rational economics. The worst idiot on this particular topic (and a few others) seems to have been given a permanent vacation, as was coming sooner or later. :)

Ok good. I just remember there was someone slagging the mall early on and was too lazy to go back and check who it was ? I was there this morning and just sawe the costume cartoon characters but missed the little dancers.

post-167660-0-75558200-1461666870_thumb.

post-167660-0-15562200-1461666917_thumb.

post-167660-0-34920200-1461666957_thumb.

Went there last night for the first time at 8pm. Very quiet. Most of the food places were empty. Tried the Korean restaurant and was not impressed. I do like that they have different food options than you see at central or other place, but so far not impressed. I hope it is successful, but didn't get that impression last night.

Also noticed that there is a huge action hero statue near the entrance to Starbucks that kids can climb up on to to take photos. Its like 4 meters off the ground and the steps (really just big blocks) up to it have no railing at all. Even worse, the ceiling is low there so an adult or tall kid would hit their head on the way up or down. They put up several signs saying that adults are responsible for their children. Amazing the things that you see here.