Gay hairdressers can legally be called “faggots” in France

rooster59

Well, the article suggests that it IS an anti-gay slur in France, but I'm suggesting that possibly it's less a severe one there. Yes, in the U.S. it's very severe.

There are LEVELS of slurs and it's natural that the levels would sometimes be different in different countries for the same word, especially foreign words.

For example, in the U.S. saying "f you" isn't usually that big a deal but say it to a Thai and you're often risking your life.

Just recently I learned the ORIGIN of the British slur p--f. I had considered it rather whimsical (it's not common in the U.S.) but knowing the origin, not so much.

As far as French law, I don't think this ruling suggests that it is officially recommended to use the slur faggots, but rather that it is not CRIMINALIZING it. That sounds entirely reasonable.

meanwhile, people with real problems........

Gay was a useful English word until the faggots misused it

Would you say that to my face?

I love how people think it's OK to use anti-gay slurs on this forum that they would never use against racial or ethnic groups, like the N word.

Yes I used the term here in the CONTEXT of the topic. You used it to FLAME. Everyone can see that.

Would you say that to my face?

I suspect there are many on here more than willing to take up your kind offer.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes that is well known and also off topic.

The topic is that in France the word though not French is recognized as a slur.

I assert that if you're British, Aussie etc. and you don't know that one of the meanings of the word is a slur even though you may not use the word that way locally ... you've been living in a cave.

But I get it. People are taking the piss. Nobody believes you don't know that meaning of word or you can't tell by context when it used that way.

Next ...

So your suggesting people should stop using the term locally, just because an American thousands of miles away came up with an alternate connotation of the word when referring to a homosexual and people in America are offended by it so people elsewhere in the world should stop using the term when referring to a meatball, collection of sticks or a winded musical instrument.....Given the PC insanity I suppose a people would be offended by the phrase "blowing a faggot" then ?

The interpretation of which rests solely in the mind of the reader...

I'm suggesting its a slur word in context so if you're using it as a slur word in obvious context that's your choice if your intention is to express hatred to gays. Obviously this has nothing to do with its usage about meatballs and ciggies.

Using the words faggot, nigger, spick, wet-back...and so on...are meant to trash a person...not to promote a harmonious relationship...

It is a sign of low class and ignorance...

but again...most of those terms uniquely belong to the US, as is the term "to trash" a person.

This is getting super stupid. Nobody is denying there is different English usage in different places. But I don't believe that the slur usage of the f word is not universally understood as such by English speakers when the context suggests it.

Duh.

..."But I don't believe that the slur usage of the f word is not universally understood as such by English speakers"

Both my parents are native English speakers and I guarantee you that neither of them know the meaning of the word "faggot".

You can not claim that every person knows/understans these words.

I never said everyone and you know it but I think your parents don't watch any Hollywood movies which I reckon is not the norm. Edited by Jingthing

I assert that if you're British, Aussie etc. and you don't know that one of the meanings of the word is a slur even though you may not use the word that way locally ... you've been living in a cave.

But I get it. People are taking the piss. Nobody believes you don't know that meaning of word or you can't tell by context when it used that way.

Next ...

So your suggesting people should stop using the term locally, just because an American thousands of miles away came up with an alternate connotation of the word when referring to a homosexual and people in America are offended by it so people elsewhere in the world should stop using the term when referring to a meatball, collection of sticks or a winded musical instrument.....Given the PC insanity I suppose a people would be offended by the phrase "blowing a faggot" then ?

I'm suggesting its a slur word in context so if you're using it as a slur word in obvious context that's your choice if your intention is to express hatred to gays. Obviously this has nothing to do with its usage about meatballs and ciggies.

most words in the English language can be turned into a slur by context and tone....and its big jump by the way from a "slur" to out and out hatred, so please don't try that one on..

Are queer and poofter anti gay slur words? I thought gays used to refer to themselves as queers?

Minority groups often take ownership of slur words to take the power away from the haters. That happened with queer among some people anyway. Also like with the n word you can say it if you're black but it's different if you're not.

I am of the opinion that many people are entirely too sensitive about this PC crap. Some here are offended to be called farangs, So what? Call me anything except late for dinner. People should remember the old saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me".

Next ...

most words in the English language can be turned into a slur by context and tone....and its big jump by the way from a "slur" to out and out hatred, so please don't try that one on..

Don't be daft! The f word when directed at gay people is unambiguously a hateful slur word. Get real. I was talking about context in the sense of its use for meatball, sticks, or ciggies. Edited by Jingthing

I am of the opinion that many people are entirely too sensitive about this PC crap. Some here are offended to be called farangs, So what? Call me anything except late for dinner. People should remember the old saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me".

Its not the same as farang. The f word when used towards gays is always a slur and a harsh one as well. Farang is not always a slur at all and when it is not a harsh one in the word alone.

Don't be daft! The f word when directed at gay people is unambiguously a hateful slur word. Get real. I was talking about context in the sense of its use for meatball, sticks, or ciggies.

I am offended you are referring to me as "daft", this is intended as a hateful unambiguous slur and name calling .......so lets ban the word "daft", stupid and silly while we are at it shall we ?

Don't be daft! The f word when directed at gay people is unambiguously a hateful slur word. Get real. I was talking about context in the sense of its use for meatball, sticks, or ciggies.

I am offended you are referring to me as "daft", this is intended as a hateful unambiguous slur and name calling .......so lets ban the word "daft", stupid and silly while we are at it shall we ?

On that note of massive INANITY I will now EXIT the thread.

I've said what I need to say on the topic, multiple times now, so nothing more to say.

On the OP, I agree with the OP that the f word is both an anti-gay slur word but also of course it should NOT be illegal to use in France (or anywhere).

Carry on boys, but I'm OUT OF HERE.

Edited by Jingthing

I've said what I need to say on the topic, multiple times now, so nothing more to say.

On the OP, I agree with the OP that the f word is both an anti-gay slur word but also of course it should NOT be illegal to use in France (or anywhere).

Ok nice chatting...I am going to have some faggots for dinner...thumbsup.gif

Best post you have made on this thread.

Off for some faggots are you?

Mrs is knocking some up for me right now, mashed tatties and mushy peas, lovely.

The word 'fagot' DOES exist in French. It means a 'bundle of firewood'. The word 'fagoter' exists. It means to be badly dressed, dowdy, to rig oneself out.

The word 'faggot' as a slur word to mean gays, does not exist in French. As I have said before the word is PEDE. Which is the word used in all the newspaper reports in France and which is translatable in any word which is meant as a slur in whatever country you come from.

When I lived in Aus or England, the most popular expressions were 'queer' or 'queen'. If I am correct, that is why Freddy Mercury was with a group called Queen.

As already mentioned above, another word which is just as nasty as pede is tapette.

Edited by Gillyflower

What is all this fuss about a word not even mentioned in the article.

In French "fagot" has the same meaning as in English fagot [uS] ; faggot [uK] which is a bundle of firewood ; it can also be mean frumpy when " mal fagoté" .

In that case the word used is "PD" . The message originated from one manager to another but was received by the employee: himself : « Je ne garde pas X., je le préviens demain, [] je ne le sens pas ce mec : cest un PD, ils font tous des coups de putes. »

Meaning "I don't keep (eg: I fire him) X, I'll let him know tomorrow [...] I don't feel ( trust ) this dude ( bloke, jerk ): he is a PD, they all try and screw us"

So, as you notice the language employed is far from being polite.

It is quite vulgar and, very insulting.

PD stands for Pédé, itself an abbreviation of "pédéraste" ( from Pederasty) describing a homosexual relationship between an adult male and a pubescent or adolescent male.

With the years, in France, this word has also described paedophiles.

It is highly injurious and prepare yourself for a fight if you address any French this way.

Please note that the panel who decided that it was not injurious was composed of non professional judges. Actually it is not a court, just a committee set up to solve problems between employers and employees. They further added that the place being full of them ( gay ) one shouldn't take offence.

But, as the title suggests, there is NOTHING legal in that decision.

As much as PD is unacceptable, the word "Tapette" is also offensive when referring to one's sexual orientation ( someone mentioned it a post earlier ) but it is mostly used to describe someone who is afraid of facing an opponent or taking the matter in their hands.

You all seem to be arguing about what is a descent word to call a homosexual: there is none, only the meaning you lend to your words is offensive.

Nevertheless, how about "homosexual" as in a non-heterosexual ?

I hope that this explanation has been helpful.

Have a gay week-end...as in merry of course, or is it?

Certainly seems that the thread is dominate by misogynists.

Lots of vigorous defense concerning the ''male of the species yet not a word in defense of the ''female ''of the species.

It would appear that there is as much ignorance and discrimination from the homosexual males, gays , faggots, poofs, pretty boys etc or whatever words you may wish to describe the outraged male of the species due to as yet no inclusion or defense of the female (Chicks without dicks scissor girls) etc of the species as already stated.

Hmm, seems as if the whole argument is flawed and extremely bigoted by flouncy fellows with one track minds.

Edited by seedy
font

Ridiculous, hardly surprising the French have ' social ' problems with minorities when the 'powers to be' make stupid insensitive decisions such as this.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by rijit

Ridiculous, hardly surprising the French have ' social ' problems with minorities when the 'powers to be' make stupid insensitive decisions such as this.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I for one, (and I am not given to even liking the the froggies), applaud the French court in this case in not bowing down to the professionally offended and for once at least common sense prevails

Vive la France

The old Hate Speech defense. Used by people who only want their side of the story told. As in the many threads about the Israelis and Palestinians. Post anything anti - Israel = Hate Speech. Post anything about Palestine = they deserve it. Terrorists. Complete BS. Same here - if you are offended, you choose to be offended. I have been called many things, and deserved some of them. And the N word - nowadays can only be used by people of color ? So now we have racial and color lines about to be drawn in the dictionary ? As for France - their house, their rules. Can you see me shaking my head ? <deleted> !

Edited by metisdead
Profane acronym removed.

Funny stuff. The English definition for faggot is a piece of firewood.

No idea how the word became used for referring to gay men.....

thats correct and in the middle ages they used gay men as faggots at the bottom of a fire to burn witches

no its not...it refers to a bundle of sticks as a unit of measurement, not a piece of fire wood

in the unit of measurement there is a short faggot measuring 3 feet in length by 2 feet in circumference and a long faggot measuring measures a length greater than 3 feet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(unit)

In the UK it is a VERY offensive word to call a gay person.

Its just the same and using the 'N' word for black people.

People who are not in minority groups can not really understand how hurtful and upsetting these words are if people say them to you.

Some people have said people can call them what they like... but that is because they are not in a minority group and have not been attacked, beaten up, discriminated against and bullied for what they are.

Have a bit of empathy for other people! Just because a word is not offensive in your country does not mean it isn't in another place. Learn a few very offensive Thai words and use them on Thais... then when you get into trouble.. tell them its not offensive in your country.. see how that goes.