Bangkok Restaurant tips...places worth trying

TallGuyJohninBKK

Many thanks for your kind and succinct response and duly noted the location, TGJB.

I'm looking at their menu at this moment in fact and mains for the Western-style dishes are pretty standard BKK prices from 370-520 baht, rising to 920-1120 for prime Aussie steaks. Western starters 260-380, plus obligatory 10% service and 7% VAT which is clearly detailed on their online menu, so no problem for me.

I believe the outside patio is cooled by fine water mist, but I'd prefer to stay in doors anyway as just too polluted outside when eating.

TripAdvisor provides plenty of positive reviews, so I think we'll head down there tomorrow and return the compliment of a review for your thread and some photos in the next few days.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's be great.

They do seem to do a decent farang business, so there must be something drawing people there.

I think a lot of folks may just want to sit in a cooled outdoor patio space and watch the BKK world along Suk Rd pass by in front of them.

PS - I believe I've seen them periodically advertise promotions on Guinness, but I'm not sure if that's a particular day of the week thing, or they just do it randomly/periodically.

http://www.indulgebangkok.com/

Interesting, I was looking also now...and they do seem to have a quite diverse and interesting menu, both on the drinks and food sides. A lot of things beyond the normal run-of-the-mill expat venue menu.

post-58284-0-29310000-1465891594_thumb.j

post-58284-0-80627200-1465891617_thumb.j

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I haven't eaten at Indulge but my friend goes there all the time and says it is good. I have been there plenty of times to drink and it is a pleasant enough place. My friend says they have a tapas selection that is good and their pasta is good. It isn't the cheapest place. The service is good.

Edited by anotheruser

It isn't the cheapest place. The service is good.

Many thanks for you response, anotheruser.

Definitely not cheap and sure there won't be too much change from £80-90 for the good lady wife and I and certainly nothing I wouldn't expect to pay in London for such an occasion, though.

Anyway, I always like to treat my wife to a good feed up and something new in BKK before we return home. It rounds off our holiday nicely before we return to the rigmarole of working long hours to earn the money for our next holiday in November.

Review coming up.

I know what I said a few posts back, but...

Bawarchi is a chain of Indian restaurants in BKK at least, with several branches around lower Sukhumvit, and one in the basement of President Towers at Chidlom.

I've eaten at one of the lower Sukhumvit branches quite a few times, so I'm familiar with the food and the menu prices there. I'm no Indian food expert, but it tastes fine for me.

So, the other day, I noticed the Chidlom branch of Bawarchi is participating in Eatigo's 50% discount program (whereas the lower Sukhumvit branches are not), so I figured I'd give Chidlom a try.

Food was fine, same as lower Sukhumvit, but the service and the setting were much better, with comparatively fancy surroundings compared to the Sukhumvit branches.

However, I was more than a bit surprised when I saw the regular menu at Chidlom. The prices there, for the same exact menu items, were in the case of my favorite entrees just about DOUBLE the menu prices at the lower Sukhumvit branch I frequent. Almost double!

I asked for a regular bottle of water and ice, and received an imported Italian brand in a 500 ml bottle for 90b. I asked for an order of basmati rice to go with my entrees, and the charge on the bill for the rice alone was 250b (before the Eatigo discount, fortunately). 250b for a one-person-sized bowl of pretty much plain (basmati) rice?

Certainly there are more expensive restaurants and less expensive restaurants. But I can't say I ever recall seeing a situation where different branches of the same restaurant have such an enormous difference in pricing for the same exact menu items.

Suffice to say, buyer beware.

Certainly there are more expensive restaurants and less expensive restaurants. But I can't say I ever recall seeing a situation where different branches of the same restaurant have such an enormous difference in pricing for the same exact menu items.

I have found most restaurants that open branch locations in high end malls jack up the menu prices to cover what is almost certainly much higher rent.

Even fast food outlets such as KFC and Burger King charge prices 30-40% higher in the high end malls. One particular KFC combo that I -ahem- sometimes indulge in is B79 at my local KFC, B119 at Siam Paragon.

Bawarchi is a chain of Indian restaurants in BKK at least, with several branches around lower Sukhumvit, and one in the basement of President Towers at Chidlom.

I've eaten at one of the lower Sukhumvit branches quite a few times, so I'm familiar with the food and the menu prices there. I'm no Indian food expert, but it tastes fine for me.

So, the other day, I noticed the Chidlom branch of Bawarchi is participating in Eatigo's 50% discount program (whereas the lower Sukhumvit branches are not), so I figured I'd give Chidlom a try.

Food was fine, same as lower Sukhumvit, but the service and the setting were much better, with comparatively fancy surroundings compared to the Sukhumvit branches.

However, I was more than a bit surprised when I saw the regular menu at Chidlom. The prices there, for the same exact menu items, were in the case of my favorite entrees just about DOUBLE the menu prices at the lower Sukhumvit branch I frequent. Almost double!

I asked for a regular bottle of water and ice, and received an imported Italian brand in a 500 ml bottle for 90b. I asked for an order of basmati rice to go with my entrees, and the charge on the bill for the rice alone was 250b (before the Eatigo discount, fortunately). 250b for a one-person-sized bowl of pretty much plain (basmati) rice?

Try eating at the airport.

I have found most restaurants that open branch locations in high end malls jack up the menu prices to cover what is almost certainly much higher rent.

Even fast food outlets such as KFC and Burger King charge prices 30-40% higher in the high end malls. One particular KFC combo that I -ahem- sometimes indulge in is B79 at my local KFC, B119 at Siam Paragon.

La Monita do it too.

Smokie, so are you saying the prices are different at La Monita's Chidlom branch vs. their Siam Paragon location? If so, to what extent?

I know they also have the EmQuartier location, but that's supposedly a somewhat different version.

Either way, I'm tending to doubt any of the places you guys are talking about have a 100% variation in pricing between sister locations, as Bawarchi at Chidlom does.

John....the Paragon branch is about 30-40% more expensive and dishes out an inferior product and as said extra still for the guacamole.

The deals are different...2 tacos vs 3 at Matahun Plaza.

Overall it's just a less pleasant experience.

Airport prices for almost all restaurants are jacked way up but at Suvarnabhumi, the food court on the 1st floor near door 10 is amazingly reasonable and has decent quality food. I don't know of any other major airport in Asia that has a better option than that.

Airport prices for almost all restaurants are jacked way up but at Suvarnabhumi, the food court on the 1st floor near door 10 is amazingly reasonable and has decent quality food. I don't know of any other major airport in Asia that has a better option than that.

Indeed. But it's the wrong side of security to be any use to the majority of customers who want to grab a bite to eat whilst waiting to board their plane. Handy for time-rich cheapskates though I guess.

"The Corner" at Soi Si Bambhen, near Lumphini MRT

https://www.facebook.com/thecornerbkk/

Small Mediterranean bistro run by a French/Thai couple.

Have a small selection of Thai food as well.

Really good value and very popular among expats in the Yen Akat Rd, Sathorn soi 1 area.

Most dishes in the 200-250 baht range. Beer reasonably priced around 70 baht.

Takeaway works really well also.

The smokin' pug.

Very decent authentic American BBQ restaurant. Ribs are the best I had in town, the brisket is also nice. My friend had the brisket sandwich and the quesadilla. He said both were also very good. I can't comment on the cornbread because despite being an American I am not a fan of cornbread. Although it sure looked and smelled like it was the real deal. How the ribs are smoked and the level of char on the ribs is stronger than other places. They are not so heavy on the sauce to start with but sauce is served with them. They don't have that level of being sickeningly sweet like some other places have. The quality of the meat seemed better too, perhaps this is because they didn't hide them in the sauce.

The atmosphere of the restaurant is nice although it is a tiny place. when you walk in the door and smell what is on offer you know you are in for a treat. You will most likely have to wait for a table or seat at the bar for 10 minutes or so. Take this opportunity to enjoy a drink. We had the blood mary's to start with. The spicing was a bit too much for me on these. I can't pin point exactly what I didn't like about them but whatever they used was a bit too much. They come with 3 olives stuffed with blue cheese. The blue cheese was again too strong for me but anybody who loves blue cheese should appreciate it. I would say give one a try for yourself. I am sure if you requested your bloody mary to be toned down they would be glad to do it. Everybody I know does their bloody marys slightly different and no two are the same.

The gin and tonics I ordered next were perfect. Don't know what all they put in them but they were better than average. The owner the place is very friendly and took the time to chat a bit even though he was very busy. I was shocked he had time to answer the phone earlier and explain to me about booking tables and how long the wait would be.

Prices were no more than any other place with similar offerings but I probably spent more because I ordered more than I usually do and add in the cocktails. I don't eat ribs often but when I do I would come here. If you want a cheaper option or something lighter get one of their brisket sandwiches or sliders.

It is a non-smoking place so those that do not smoke will appreciate that.

If you go with two people walking in would be fine, but a group of 4 or more and you will definitely need to reserve a table ahead of time. There seemed to only be one table large enough for bigger groups upstairs.

So that's my take on The Smokin' Pug.

Looks like it is left over brisket for lunch for me today. :)

The smokin' pug.

Very decent authentic American BBQ restaurant. Ribs are the best I had in town, the brisket is also nice. My friend had the brisket sandwich and the quesadilla. He said both were also very good. I can't comment on the cornbread because despite being an American I am not a fan of cornbread. Although it sure looked and smelled like it was the real deal. How the ribs are smoked and the level of char on the ribs is stronger than other places. They are not so heavy on the sauce to start with but sauce is served with them. They don't have that level of being sickeningly sweet like some other places have. The quality of the meat seemed better too, perhaps this is because they didn't hide them in the sauce.

The atmosphere of the restaurant is nice although it is a tiny place. when you walk in the door and smell what is on offer you know you are in for a treat. You will most likely have to wait for a table or seat at the bar for 10 minutes or so. Take this opportunity to enjoy a drink. We had the blood mary's to start with. The spicing was a bit too much for me on these. I can't pin point exactly what I didn't like about them but whatever they used was a bit too much. They come with 3 olives stuffed with blue cheese. The blue cheese was again too strong for me but anybody who loves blue cheese should appreciate it. I would say give one a try for yourself. I am sure if you requested your bloody mary to be toned down they would be glad to do it. Everybody I know does their bloody marys slightly different and no two are the same.

The gin and tonics I ordered next were perfect. Don't know what all they put in them but they were better than average. The owner the place is very friendly and took the time to chat a bit even though he was very busy. I was shocked he had time to answer the phone earlier and explain to me about booking tables and how long the wait would be.

Prices were no more than any other place with similar offerings but I probably spent more because I ordered more than I usually do and add in the cocktails. I don't eat ribs often but when I do I would come here. If you want a cheaper option or something lighter get one of their brisket sandwiches or sliders.

It is a non-smoking place so those that do not smoke will appreciate that.

If you go with two people walking in would be fine, but a group of 4 or more and you will definitely need to reserve a table ahead of time. There seemed to only be one table large enough for bigger groups upstairs.

So that's my take on The Smokin' Pug.

Looks like it is left over brisket for lunch for me today. smile.png

Sounds good, where is it?

So here is a couple of pics of what I did with some of the leftover brisket I got from the Pug. It is a grilled sandwich using my bread, butter and mature cheddar cheese. What I used from the Pug is their brisket, sauce and string onions. Pics of how to grill and make it follow.

This is my creation of the left overs and not the standard on the menu.

post-57867-0-41422900-1466574457_thumb.j

post-57867-0-65409800-1466574480_thumb.j

post-57867-0-18319700-1466574511_thumb.j

post-57867-0-40031500-1466574578_thumb.j

This is a pic from pizza Pala. This would be the Capricciosa in the half meter size. Was around 850 Baht or so. Some people have said they find this place expensive but if you look at the size this is actually the size of two pizzas. Sure it is maybe 50 Bath more per pizza than The Pizza Company but I don't see how it is considered to be so expensive by many people. My partner had their carbonara and said it was pretty good.

I think the pizza when you order a half meter or more is a bit better than by the slice as far as the crust and ingredients on it. It is enough pie for 3 very hungry people or 4 normal appetites. They could offer a 1/4 meter and it would be great for two, how it gets expensive is you have to basically order a half meter or by the slice.

They also do a nice meat and cheese platter. This photo isn't a flattering one but shows you what you get. Seems this thread is fizzling out. Surely there are more places to eat then covered here. The Pattaya thread is so much more active. Does Pattaya have more to offer than Bangkok in this regard?

post-57867-0-54574100-1467215835_thumb.j

post-57867-0-44794500-1467215853_thumb.j

Pattaya has no more to offer...maybe most Bangkokians have better taste than this place.

So where does our esteemed smokie36 get his pizza? Because honestly I don't think a genuinely great pizza exists in this city.

Edited by anotheruser

Pattaya has no more to offer...maybe most Bangkokians have better taste than this place.

So where does our esteemed smokie36 get his pizza? Because honestly I don't think a genuinely great pizza exists in this city.

Sfizio in Asoke.

You will thank me for this one.

So here is a couple of pics of what I did with some of the leftover brisket I got from the Pug. It is a grilled sandwich using my bread, butter and mature cheddar cheese. What I used from the Pug is their brisket, sauce and string onions. Pics of how to grill and make it follow.

This is my creation of the left overs and not the standard on the menu.

A pile of fat and grease and cheese and butter tastes good any where. Great if you want to be fat.