Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Wolves 1 - 2 Chelsea

Frank Lampard scored a last-gasp winner as Chelsea secured a first win in five matches with a gutsy and much-improved display against Wolves at Molineux.

Stephen Ward seemed to have earned the hosts a point when he smashed Steven Fletcher's cross low into the net.

But Chelsea, who led through Ramires' strike, won it when Lampard volleyed in Ashley Cole's brilliant cross.

Kevin Doyle almost snatched a point in injury time but his header was superbly saved by Blues keeper Petr Cech.

It was a spectacular save and a fitting way to finish off a pulsating match that Chelsea will feel they fully deserved to win.

The hosts had two spells in either half where they rattled the visitors and had they not wasted two stunning chances in the latter stages of the first period, they would probably have avoided a fifth home league defeat of the season.

But Chelsea dominated possession and showed signs of the unity that many had doubted existed in their dressing room with a disciplined, professional performance.

However it was almost a disastrous start as a sloppy Jose Bosingwa pass could easily have gifted Wolves a first-minute opener.

David Jones failed to connect with his effort and Chelsea's packed midfield then began to get on top.

Oriol Romeu, playing in his familiar holding role, laid the defensive platform with Lampard and Raul Meireles deployed further forward and the hosts struggled to get a foothold in the game in the first 25 minutes.

The much-maligned Fernando Torres, back in the side because of injuries to Daniel Sturridge and Didier Drogba, flourished early on and almost set up goals for both Juan Mata and Lampard.

Wolves goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey did brilliantly to race out and block Mata's strike after a delightful first-time Torres pass, and defender Richard Stearman then did enough to put off Lampard with the midfielder poised to shoot home following another astute Torres through-ball.

An increasingly confident Torres even tried an audacious 60-yard effort on goal after winning the ball on halfway, only for his strike to drift closer to the corner flag than the goal.

Ramires also shot wide and an away goal seemed inevitable but Wolves were awoken from their slumbers by a very clumsy studs-up challenge by

Lampard.

The England midfielder could easily have been sent off as he clattered into Adam Hamill, but his obvious attempts to pull out of the challenge and instant apology may have spared him.

Lampard's caution sparked a nine-minute spell that brought five yellow cards and saw Wolves rattle the Londoners with by far their best spell of the game.

Roger Johnson was desperately unlucky not to open the scoring with a powerful far-post header from Hamill's fine free-kick.

And moments later Stephen Ward missed the easiest chance of the afternoon, heading well wide from six yards after another excellent Hamill centre.

But as the temper levels dropped off, Chelsea began to boss things again.

Lampard, Bosingwa and Terry all went close before the break and the Blues then went ahead when Ramires reacted quickly to lash the ball into the top corner following Mata's corner.

Chelsea seemed desperate to grab a second and avoid a nervy finale and a possible fourth 1-1 draw in five games.

Ramires tested Hennessey from wide on the right after showing blistering pace and some Torres trickery almost saw him create a one-on-one chance.

Wolves once again dragged themselves back into the game and appeared to have piled more misery on under-pressure Blues boss Andre Villas-Boas.

Matthew Jarvis crossed to the far post and when fellow substitute Fletcher turned the ball back into the danger area, Ward crashed the ball past Cech.

But Chelsea somehow rallied and Lampard showed typical drive to arrive in the box and steer the ball home from close range from Cole's inviting left-wing centre.

Edited by Seapok

Mata defends under-fire boss (just for you Alfie)

Chelsea star Juan Mata has leapt to the defence of under-fire boss Andre Villas-Boas, claiming the players have 'a lot of confidence in him'.

It took a late Frank Lampard strike to give Chelsea their first win in five games at Wolves on Monday and Villas-Boas has already conceded the title is out of the club's reach.

But Mata is insistent that the manager is doing a good job.

"It's true we've had a little crisis of results," said Mata. "But Villas-Boas is doing things very well and both the players and the club have a lot of

confidence in him. He won everything with Porto last year.

"I get along with the coach and he tries to talk to every player in his own language."

The midfielder is prepared to admit that the Manchester clubs are in pole position for the title but is still enjoying life at Chelsea.

"I'm very happy in England and it's surprising how easily I've adapted as changing team is never easy," he added.

"It's clear however that Manchester City and Manchester United are the favourites to win the Premier League.

"I phoned David Silva to tell him to make City put on the brakes a bit but they are not doing so!"

Mata also backed his fellow Spaniard Fernando Torres to enjoy a better time of things in 2012 after an improved performance against Wolves.

"Torres was very good in the last game," added Mata. "He wanted to play a full game, is training hard and wants to contribute to the team.

"He can rest assured that the team and the coach all have confidence in him. I'm sure he will score many goals for the club."

Edited by Seapok

• 2 weeks later...

Gary Cahill set to have a medical at Chelsea

Bolton defender Gary Cahill is in London for a medical at Chelsea on Saturday, BBC Sport understands.

It is believed the England centre-back has already agreed personal terms.

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas had earlier said he was confident the deal, reportedly worth about £7m, would be completed "this week".

Bolton accepted Chelsea's bid for the 26-year-old nearly two weeks ago but negotiating personal terms has reportedly been a lengthy process.

"I'm sure all parties are protecting their interests and we'll reach an agreement," said Villas-Boas before news emerged of an apparent deal.

It is not thought that Chelsea will present Cahill to fans before Saturday's home game against Sunderland.

Reports had suggested United boss Sir Alex Ferguson was also interested in signing Cahill, who had less than six months of his Bolton contract remaining.

"There hasn't been any dialogue between ourselves and Manchester United or anything like that," said Coyle last week.

"When there's continued conjecture and everything that goes with it people are always going to throw up names.

"We as a football club agreed a deal with Chelsea Football Club and for me that's binding."

Cahill scored the winning goal in Bolton's 2-1 victory at Premier League rivals Everton, but played no part in last weekend's FA Cup third round 2-2 draw at Macclesfield last weekendon Saturday.

Edited by Seapok

Mata defends under-fire boss (just for you Alfie)

Chelsea star Juan Mata has leapt to the defence of under-fire boss Andre Villas-Boas, claiming the players have 'a lot of confidence in him'.

It took a late Frank Lampard strike to give Chelsea their first win in five games at Wolves on Monday and Villas-Boas has already conceded the title is out of the club's reach.

But Mata is insistent that the manager is doing a good job.

"It's true we've had a little crisis of results," said Mata. "But Villas-Boas is doing things very well and both the players and the club have a lot of

confidence in him. He won everything with Porto last year.

"I get along with the coach and he tries to talk to every player in his own language."

The midfielder is prepared to admit that the Manchester clubs are in pole position for the title but is still enjoying life at Chelsea.

"I'm very happy in England and it's surprising how easily I've adapted as changing team is never easy," he added.

"It's clear however that Manchester City and Manchester United are the favourites to win the Premier League.

"I phoned David Silva to tell him to make City put on the brakes a bit but they are not doing so!"

Mata also backed his fellow Spaniard Fernando Torres to enjoy a better time of things in 2012 after an improved performance against Wolves.

"Torres was very good in the last game," added Mata. "He wanted to play a full game, is training hard and wants to contribute to the team.

"He can rest assured that the team and the coach all have confidence in him. I'm sure he will score many goals for the club."

Is Mata on drugs?

Bolton defender Gary Cahill is in London for a medical at Chelsea on Saturday, BBC Sport understands.

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas had earlier said he was confident the deal, reportedly worth about £7m, would be completed "this week".

Bolton accepted Chelsea's bid for the 26-year-old nearly two weeks ago but negotiating personal terms has reportedly been a lengthy process.

"I'm sure all parties are protecting their interests and we'll reach an agreement," said Villas-Boas before news emerged of an apparent deal.

It is not thought that Chelsea will present Cahill to fans before Saturday's home game against Sunderland.

Reports had suggested United boss Sir Alex Ferguson was also interested in signing Cahill, who had less than six months of his Bolton contract remaining.

"There hasn't been any dialogue between ourselves and Manchester United or anything like that," said Coyle last week.

"When there's continued conjecture and everything that goes with it people are always going to throw up names.

"We as a football club agreed a deal with Chelsea Football Club and for me that's binding."

Cahill scored the winning goal in Bolton's 2-1 victory at Premier League rivals Everton, but played no part in last weekend's FA Cup third round 2-2 draw at Macclesfield last weekendon Saturday.

I would really like Cahill justify his wage demands but i cannot see it,he is a poor defender and most Chelsea fans know this......a great signing for the rest of the premier league in my opium.

I would really like Cahill justify his wage demands but i cannot see it,he is a poor defender and most Chelsea fans know this......a great signing for the rest of the premier league in my opium.

I don't think you can say he is a poor defender, he wouldn't be an England international if he was as poor as you believe, maybe you should cut down on that opium you are on! giggle.gif

think he's what they need though, muck and bullets centre half who will just defend. might mean that they're binning the david luiz experiment though.

Yeah Luiz has been a funny character at the bridge would much rather see him playing in the holding role or anywhere as long its away from our own box!

All and sundry can be an England international these days if you are born with some connection....it doesn't mean diddly squat look at my post in the England thread about that,far to many younger players will get in ahead of him now.

That opium is helping me watch the rest of the premier league games apart from the top three!

All and sundry can be an England international these days if you are born with some connection....it doesn't mean diddly squat look at my post in the England thread about that,far to many younger players will get in ahead of him now.

That opium is helping me watch the rest of the premier league games apart from the top three!

Top three...that's us...loving it!! clap2.gif

Yeah drawing at home against Wolves is real title contender stuff innit Smokie haha

I read your pieces on the England team and it is clear that you know an awful lot about many young players that I certainly do not. I tended to agree with about half of what you said.

1) We need to generally get rid of the older partly because their skills are fading and partly because they appear jaded by the years of underperformance by the England team.

2) There is nothing to be lost and everything to be gained by bringing in the youngsters

BUT

1) I do believe the England squad historically was blessed by a generation of enormous talent. Great players tend to stand out in the statistics like sore thumbs. (Like Vdic for example). We do possess a group of player likes Gerrard, Beckham, Cole, Ferdinand, Lampard, Terry (etc) who qualified for being 'world class'. They just never formed a team.

2) The youngsters - many of whom are at Utd - are nowhere near that sort of level yet. They have potential, I guess. And 2 or 3 of them may turn out to be world class. What ever they will be in 5 years time they are not that already. And my money is on them being grossly overhyped.

Yeah drawing at home against Wolves is real title contender stuff innit Smokie haha

A blip Seapok. Still six points behind us I notice...smile.png

There you go again seapok. Not doing your homework. We've had 3 blatently good goals given offside. Against Wolves, Stoke and Chelsea. If they had been correctly given we'd be on 52 points and top of the league.

As for Luiz, i thought he started off well but has become a laughing stock.

A quick question....Do you think Abramovich will buy you into the CL this season?

I hope I'm wrong but I have yet to be convinced by him.I've always regarded him as a bog standard log of wood at the back with no pace.The lack of pace probably sealed it for Chelsea....we love those types of players.As far as I'm concerned,he couldn't lace Alex's boots so I reckon Alex must have laid down the law and said that he wanted a permanent starting position in the team or he was off.Why Chelsea want to do business with QPR after Terrygate is beyond me.

I hope I'm wrong but I have yet to be convinced by him.I've always regarded him as a bog standard log of wood at the back with no pace.The lack of pace probably sealed it for Chelsea....we love those types of players.As far as I'm concerned,he couldn't lace Alex's boots so I reckon Alex must have laid down the law and said that he wanted a permanent starting position in the team or he was off.Why Chelsea want to do business with QPR after Terrygate is beyond me.

Agree with you about Alex. i actually think he was your best center back by a margin and never understood why he wasn't first choice.

Since the video evidence against Captain Vile is seemingly rather damning i wonder whether Chelsea were trying to appease QPR a little?

Agree with you about Alex. i actually think he was your best center back by a margin and never understood why he wasn't first choice.

Since the video evidence against Captain Vile is seemingly rather damning i wonder whether Chelsea were trying to appease QPR a little?

Well.I think the evidence is inconclusive but it looks like my old mate,Seapok (and The Guardian) has it about right.In any case, the pair of them deserve one another. What a right pair of t*****s.I suppose business transends all other issues,carmine.

think he's what they need though, muck and bullets centre half who will just defend. might mean that they're binning the david luiz experiment though.

Yeah Luiz has been a funny character at the bridge would much rather see him playing in the holding role or anywhere as long its away from our own box!

I think he's a terrific footballer.He reminds me of when Collocini started playing in the Premier League.He was getting caught out of position and getting slaughtered by all and sundry,before he got the hang of it after a couple of seasons.Makelele was f******g useless for a year,then he adapted to the style of play in the Premier League.Luiz started off great because the other teams couldn't fathom him out.It doesn't help that,when he makes his forays upfield,Terry and Cole,who have both lost their pace,get found out on the counter.I see him taking over from John Terry eventually with,preferably Ivanovic alongside.I would be surprised if Cahill marched straight into the team this weekend but,if that IS the case, then I would play Luiz at left back in place of Cole.Give Luiz another season and you'll see a much more accomplished and controlled defender.

I think he's a terrific footballer.He reminds me of when Collocini started playing in the Premier League.He was getting caught out of position and getting slaughtered by all and sundry,before he got the hang of it after a couple of seasons.Makelele was f******g useless for a year,then he adapted to the style of play in the Premier League.Luiz started off great because the other teams couldn't fathom him out.It doesn't help that,when he makes his forays upfield,Terry and Cole,who have both lost their pace,get found out on the counter.I see him taking over from John Terry eventually with,preferably Ivanovic alongside.I would be surprised if Cahill marched straight into the team this weekend but,if that IS the case, then I would play Luiz at left back in place of Cole.Give Luiz another season and you'll see a much more accomplished and controlled defender.

But OG he ain't going to get another season,

1. it will be Terry and Cahill from now on.

2. Luiz will get the ump and be gone by next season.

A quick question for Samuel Wanjiru....did you buy any shares then mate? huh.pnglaugh.png

I know you didnt ask but I am a shareholder in Stamford Bridge.

I used to be a shareholder in Spurs but your Chairman delisted them on the basis that they were worth 5 times more than their trading price.

A quick question for Samuel Wanjiru....did you buy any shares then mate? huh.pnglaugh.png

I know you didnt ask but I am a shareholder in Stamford Bridge.

I used to be a shareholder in Spurs but your Chairman delisted them on the basis that they were worth 5 times more than their trading price.

Which way did you vote Abby?