Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Mourinho wants official's apology

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho says he wants referee's assistant Peter Kirkup to apologise after the official disallowed a strike by Salomon Kalou.

TV replays suggested the Ivorian was behind the line of the ball when he sidefooted home in the second half of Saturday's 0-0 draw with Blackburn.

"I can't understand it. If the linesman wants to explain, then maybe it would be a good thing," said Mourinho.

"I told the linesman I would be waiting for his phone call to apologise."

Referee Howard Webb disallowed the goal - a decision which sparked anger on the touchline with Mourinho berating the fourth official Peter Walton and urging him to look at TV replays.

Mourinho added: "We scored a great goal. Only the linesman can tell us why he disallowed the goal."

Blackburn boss Mark Hughes disputed Mourinho's version of the Kalou 'strike'.

"The goal was offside. He was only about half a yard or so, but he was offside," he said.

"From our point of view we are happy that it was offside. It would have been difficult for us to come back into the game if we had conceded at that point.

"But the assistant referee immediately put his flag up and that usually means he is pretty certain himself.

"Obviously Chelsea won't be too happy with that but if you watch it again, I think you will see it is offside."

Mourinho praised his side's display after the point which was enough to keep the Blues in the top four in the Premier League.

"The game is over and we lost two points. I have only good things to say about my players. A team without big ammunition, without the two target strikers, Didier Drogba and Claudio Pizarro," he said.

"A team without a top scorer like Frank Lampard and without that kind of ammunition, the team still played well against a team that fought a lot to keep a clean sheet and go home with a point.

"Blackburn are a team I respect because they fought a lot. But Chelsea were the best team, my players were brave and we scored a great goal.

"Blackburn started the game very well but Chelsea pushed them back. In the last 20 minutes, our attacking was massive."

Terry pledges to play on

Chelsea captain John Terry has vowed to play through the pain barrier in order to have a successful career.

A broken toe is unable to keep the England defender out of action as he is determined to play when he can, even if it means he may pay later in life.

Terry is prepared for a long, hard season for both club and country but says he would not want it any different.

"If it takes injections to get me out there then that's what I'll do," Terry told The People. "It takes a lot to see me miss a game, I promise you.

"The boss (Jose Mourinho) said he thinks I feel suicidal if I miss a game. I do feel a bit like that. I'm like a little lost dog. I don't know what the hel_l to do with myself. I get really frustrated and really down.

"I have seen ex-pros in their 40s and 50s limping around crippled by their shattered knees and battered hips. That will probably be me. But it is my career and that's what I have chosen to do - that's the sacrifice you make for success.

"It is a short career and I want to win as many things as I can. I want to play in every game - that's the mentality I have.

"When I'm injured I go down to the ground and just stand there watching everyone else out on the pitch playing. Then when it's all over that's when I go for my treatment.

"And I really work hard to get back as quickly as possible. I'll have the medical staff working with me virtually non-stop. I'll even have them back at my house at night trying their best to get me fit to play.

"Then I know I have done absolutely everything possible to be fit to play.

"If I say I'm not right then they know I'm not right. If I say 'No, I can't play' then people realise I'm not fit. I would never fake an injury - it's just not my style.

"This season won't finish for me until after the Euro 2008 finals - and, hopefully, after the final! So that means I'll get just three weeks holiday, but that's enough for me - I will keep playing until I drop."

I couldn't believe my eye balls when the lino raised his flag! Kalou was behind the ball when the ball was played into the box. We definitely need to be using the same technology that is used in rugby. I don't believe it will slow the game down that much, there is way too much at stake these days. No doubt that idiot lino will be on vacation for a couple of weeks now. :o

A bit of Karma coming back :D ........ Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea ( the penalty that wasnt ).

I've just been reading Alan Shearer's and Alan Hansen's opinions regarding the form of Schevchenko and while I think Hansen is talking out of his arse :o I reckon Shearer might have a point :

Former England skipper Alan Shearer believes Shevchenko is underperforming because he "does not feel loved" at Chelsea.

"We don't know whether he was the manager's signing or not and he's having a tough time," Shearer told BBC1's Match of the Day programme.

"He's come in and is certainly not the player we saw at Milan a couple of years' ago.

"Just have a look at the reaction of Mourinho (when Shevchenko missed a second-half chance against Bleckburn) - this is what tells me he's not loved at Chelsea.

"He's just not happy with him, is he? The problem is he doesn't feel loved at Chelsea."

BBC pundit Alan Hansen says he does not ever expect Shevchenko to come good. "He can't run, that's the problem he's got," Hansen said. "If you can't run as a centre forward, you're in trouble."

I couldn't believe my eye balls when the lino raised his flag! Kalou was behind the ball when the ball was played into the box. We definitely need to be using the same technology that is used in rugby. I don't believe it will slow the game down that much, there is way too much at stake these days. No doubt that idiot lino will be on vacation for a couple of weeks now. :D

A bit of Karma coming back :D ........ Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea ( the penalty that wasnt ).

What about that goal that knocked us out of the semi's against you lot, that was never behind the line! maybe it was payback for that! :o

Mourinho is key to glory - Kenyon

Chief executive Peter Kenyon insists Chelsea's hunger for success will not cost manager Jose Mourinho his job.

Kenyon says Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich's long-term plans for the Blues include Mourinho at the helm.

He said: "There's loads of speculation that if we don't win Jose gets fired, but that's not the way we think.

"It's about winning in style and building that dynasty, and that's what Roman wants to be part of; Chelsea becoming part of Europe's dynasty."

Former Manchester United chief executive Kenyon revealed Chelsea's desire to become a worldwide brand in the same manner as his former employers.

Kenyon said: "Over a 10-year period, you need two European Cups to be a world club, and you have to dominate your domestic league.

"We have an infrastructure to deal with that and people to deal with it.

"We will win the Champions League, the question is when," Kenyon says in the Chelsea documentary Blue Revolution.

"We've got a squad, a structure, a belief and we've got quality; I believe the Champions League is not far away."

Kenyon also claims Mourinho is the most similar manager to Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson he has yet seen.

After joining Chelsea in 2003, Kenyon was instrumental in bringing former Porto boss Mourinho to Stamford Bridge to succeed Claudio Ranieri.

The Chelsea chief executive said: "After the first week I didn't feel Ranieri was up to the job. Having been around a winner like Sir Alex, Ranieri certainly didn't come into that class, so we embarked on looking for a new manager.

"We came up with Mourinho who was young and different.

"We'd seen some of the best names but he was hungry and thought differently and I saw he had some of the same qualities as Alex Ferguson.

"He's a winner and we were lucky enough to get him, and I think we've had some success since then."

Kenyon also revealed that Abramovich has concerns about Chelsea's on-field image, and that the Russian billionaire is keen to couple success with style.

"He's passionate about Chelsea; he's passionate about how we are perceived, how we do things. If we win, we want to win stylishly, everyone buys into that.

"He's the best possible thing that could have happened to Chelsea," added Kenyon.

"He's thoughtful, he's strong and he's been a very successful businessman. But he's very different to how anybody would portray him because nobody knows him."

Chelsea v Rosenborg

Champions League, Group B match

Date: Tuesday, 18 September

Kick-off: 1945 BST

Venue: Stamford Bridge

Listen: BBC Radio 5live

Updates: BBC Sport website and mobile

Chelsea will be without striker Didier Drogba and midfielder Frank Lampard.

Drogba's knee injury continues to cause him pain, while Lampard has a thigh injury, with Peruvian Claudio Pizarro also missing out due to a calf problem.

Rosenborg, who are only lying fifth this season, will be without key midfielder Roar Strand.

Former Tottenham striker Steffen Iversen and ex-Liverpool defender Bjorn Tore Kvarme are included in the Norwegian champions' squad.

BIG MATCH STATS

Definitions of terms used:-

Champions League (CL) - only group phase matches and beyond of this competition which began in 1992-93.

Champions Cup/Champions League - all matches played since it began in 1955-56 including qualification matches.

European matches - all matches played in the major European tournaments (Fairs Cup, Uefa Cup, Cup Winners' Cup, Champions Cup, Champions League).

Uefa Super Cups, Intertoto Cups and the old Intercontinental Cup competition are excluded.

Head-to-heads

Chelsea and Rosenborg have never met in European competition.

Rosenborg have faced English clubs in the Champions League twice before and lost both away matches; in 1995-96 they succumbed 4-1 at Blackburn Rovers and in 2004-05 they went down 5-1 at Arsenal.

European history

Chelsea's biggest successes in European competition are their two Cup Winners' Cup victories. They won the trophy in 1971 and 1998. They also won the European Super Cup in 1998. In the Champions League, Chelsea have reached the semi-final three times in 2003-04, 2004-05 and 2006-07.

This year marks the 11th Champions League participation for Rosenborg. Their best European result was reaching the CL quarter-finals in 1996-97 when they were eliminated by losing finalists Juventus.

Current European form

Chelsea are unbeaten in their last six Champions League home matches. Their last home defeat came on 22 February 2006 against FC Barcelona.

Rosenborg qualified for the main tournament by eliminating FK Astana (10-2 on aggregate) and Tampere United (5-0 on aggregate). The Norwegians have conceded at least one goal in each of their last 15 CL matches and their last 19 CL away matches.

Player and disciplinary info

Andriy Shevchenko is Chelsea's most seasoned squad member, having featured in 89 CL matches. He is also the leading career marksman in the Chelsea squad, having netted 46 times in the Champions League; but only three of those goals have been as a Chelsea player.

Chelsea's Claudio Pizarro and Ricardo Carvallo can make their 50th CL appearances.

Roar Strand is Rosenborg's leading appearance maker (66 matches) and top scorer (11 goals) in the Champions League.

Other miscellaneous facts

Chelsea coach Jose Mourinho will be making his 50th appearance as a coach in the Champions League; he has led FC Porto in 17 matches and Chelsea in 32, prior to this.

Rosenborg coach Knut Torum will make his debut in the Champions League. At 36 years-old, Torum is the youngest head coach in this season's Champions League.

Big Match Stats source: Infostrada Sports

To say we couldn't score in a brothel is an understatement!! bring on the Champions sunday. :o

Chelsea 1-1 Rosenborg

Chelsea's stuttering start to the season continued as they were held to a shock draw by Norwegian underdogs Rosenborg in the Champions League.

Rosenborg threatened to spring a surprise when Miika Koppinen turned in Marek Sapara's free-kick at the near post in the 24th minute.

Andriy Shevchenko headed Chelsea level eight minutes after the interval.

Florent Malouda and Salomon Kalou hit the woodwork for Chelsea, but resilient Rosenborg held out to force a draw.

And perhaps even more worrying for coach Jose Mourinho was a crowd of only 24,973 at Stamford Bridge, including a distinctly unimpressed owner Roman Abramovich - a miserable turn-out for a Champions League game.

Chelsea were still without their main goal threats in injured duo Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba - and it showed in a lack-lustre first 45 minutes.

Michael Essien wasted a good chance by shooting wide before Rosenborg took a shock lead after 24 minutes.

Sapara's dangerous free-kick from the left flank was met with a perfect flick from Koppinen at the near post that left Chelsea keeper Petr Cech helpless.

Chelsea responded as expected, but they lacked both inspiration and a cutting edge in the opening exchanges.

Alex headed wide, and both Kalou and Shevchenko were narrowly off target as Chelsea started to mount a threat as the interval approached.

Former Liverpool defender Bjorn Tore Kvarme entered the action at the re-start, the 35-year-old coming on for the injured Christer Basma.

Rosenborg wasted a glorious opportunity to double their advantage after 51 minutes when Yssouf Kone set up Alexander Tettey, but he blazed wastefully over the top from 12 yards.

Chelsea needed a goal desperately - as did misfiring striker Shevchenko - and the Ukrainian striker obliged with the equaliser seconds later, heading Malouda's cross beyond Lars Hirschfelfd.

Malouda then rattled the post as Chelsea showed real urgency against their underdog opponents.

Rosenborg were now having to defend courageously, and keeper Hirchsfeld did well to block Juliano Belletti.

Chelsea made a double switch with 17 minutes left, sending on Tal Ben Haim and Shaun Wright-Phillips for Ashley Cole and Joe Cole.

And Kalou was the latest to be denied by the woodwork as Rosenborg held on.

It meant an attacking role for captain John Terry as Chelsea switched to a three-man defence.

Chelsea spent the latter stages camped out in Rosenborg's half, but a combination of good fortune, safe handling from Hirschfeld and stout defending kept Mourinho's side at bay.

Chelsea: Cech, Belletti, Terry, Alex, Ashley Cole (Ben-Haim 73), Joe Cole (Wright-Phillips 74), Makelele, Essien, Malouda, Shevchenko, Kalou.

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Sidwell, Obi, Ferreira, Sawyer.

Booked: Alex.

Goals: Shevchenko 53.

Rosenborg: Hirschfeld, Koppinen, Basma (Kvarme 46), Dorsin, Strand, Riseth, Skjelbred (Iversen 84), Tettey, Sapara (Konan 69), Traore, Kone.

Subs Not Used: Hansen, Stoor, Lago, Nordvik.

Booked: Dorsin, Kone.

Goals: Koppinen 24.

Att: 24,973

Ref: Laurent Duhamel (France).

a bit disappointed with chelsea today. :D

they could have scored more than 1 goal..really.

got so many chances to do it but it didn't happen.

thank god that at least shevchenko did score. :o

without lampard and drogba chelsea is not the same team.

Got to say that without Fat Frank Chelsea are a bit lightweight. :D

To say we couldn't score in a brothel is an understatement!! bring on the Champions sunday. :o

What is wrong at Chelsea at the moment? You better pull your socks up for the weekend, i'm counting on you beating United :D

too many eggs me thinks :D

maybe if Jose beats his eggs more he might get a result :D

I'm shocked but then again not really!! :o

Mourinho makes shock Chelsea exit

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has stunned the world of football by leaving Stamford Bridge by mutual consent.

The decision comes after the club held a crisis meeting to discuss the indifferent start to the new season.

Mourinho, 44, joined Chelsea in June 2004 and led them to the Premiership title in each of his first two seasons.

But his relationship with Blues owner Roman Abramovich grew increasingly troubled and he quit despite having three years left on his contract.

Former Chelsea player Didier Deschamps has emerged as one of the frontrunners to replace Mourinho, although Russian manager Guus Hiddink is also likely to be a contender.

BBC Radio 5live football correspondent Jonathan Legard understands Mourinho texted senior players, including skipper John Terry, to tell them he was leaving.

Meanwhile, Peter Kenyon, the club's chief executive, Bruce Buck, the chairman, and Abramovich's key aide, Eugene Tenenbaum, were called to an emergency meeting at Stamford Bridge last night to discuss the emerging crisis.

Former Israel coach Avram Grant, recruited in the summer as director of football, is expected to take charge of the side for Sunday's Premier League clash with Manchester United.

A statement on the Chelsea website confirmed: "Chelsea Football Club and Jose Mourinho have agreed to part company today (Thursday) by mutual consent."

Many of Chelsea's staff and players had been enjoying a relaxing evening at a Fulham Broadway cinema last night as they watched a screening of "Blue Revolution" - a new documentary about the Abramovich years.

But senior players like Terry and Frank Lampard were absent and the remainder, except a reluctant England winger Shaun Wright-Phillips, refused to talk to the media.

Mourinho also attended the evening but ignored the waiting media and looked decidedly glum.

Mourinho made a massive impact at Chelsea after joining them from Porto, whom he guided to Champions League glory in 2004.

Last season, the Blues finished runners-up to Manchester United but won both the FA Cup and Carling Cup, a trophy they had also collected in 2005.

Mourinho's achievements also saw him voted as Premiership manager of the year in 2005 and 2006.

However, the Champions League trophy eluded the club and this season's campaign started with Tuesday's shock 1-1 draw at home to Norwegian side Rosenborg in front of a crowd of just 24,973.

It was their third successive game without a win following a 2-0 defeat at Aston Villa and a goalless draw with Blackburn in the Premier League.

Those results have left Chelsea fifth in the table - two points behind leaders Arsenal and with a visit to Manchester United to come on Sunday.

The BBC understands the impasse between Mourinho and Abramovich came to a head after their 2-0 defeat to Aston Villa earlier this month.

Mourinho has been at loggerheads with the Russian since their disagreement over the lack of funds to sign players during last January's transfer window.

Mourinho's reluctance to play Andriy Shevchenko and the Russian's desire to bring in Grant from Portsmouth to work with the misfiring striker only served to heighten the tension.

The former Israel coach was recruited in the summer as director of football and Mourinho is understood to have simmered ever since.

Former Chelsea player Pat Nevin says that behind the scenes movements were key to Mourinho's departure. "He's a very individual man and he thinks he should be the power at the club," said Nevin.

"If you put someone of that ego, and I say that in a likeable way, in charge and then you tell him you're not quite in charge, then I think it was a recipe for disaster."

Radio 5live football correspondent Legard agreed Mourinho's relationship with Abromovich would break down at some point, although the timing of Mourinho's eventual departure was a major surprise.

"It suited both parties that he went," said Legard. "They've had an uneasy relationship, to put it mildly."

Mourinho still had three years left on his contract, worth a staggering £6.5m a year, after agreeing a new deal in May 2005.

At the time he signed that deal, he said: "My heart is with Chelsea and the fantastic group of players that I have but the vision of the owner and the board for the future of Chelsea is also one I want to be a part of.

"I cannot imagine another situation or another club where I could be happier. I am totally behind this project."

But the Chelsea board are thought to have become increasingly unhappy over the team's form at the beginning of the campaign.

Deschamps, who captained France to glory in the 1998 World Cup and Euro 2000, is now one of the names in the frame to replace Mourinho.

Deschamps began his coaching career with Monaco before joining Juventus, but he resigned from the Italian club in May 2007 and is currently unemployed.

He spent a year with Chelsea as a player in 1999-2000, winning the FA Cup.

As for Mourinho, he will not be short of job offers.

Of the 185 games he was in charge of Chelsea, they won 124, drew 40 and lost 21, a record that includes a 60-match unbeaten run in Premier League matches at Stamford Bridge.

The statistics go some way towards justifying Mourinho's famous description of himself as "a special one", made during his first press conference as Chelsea boss.

Well that was a shock this morning :o

You can say that again Mr B, I work up at 6.30 and couldn't believe my ear balls!, but then the phone calls and texts started to come in. I'm shocked and disappointed but I will say we haven't been playing that well for some time. I didn't mind that much cos we were winning things but to play badly and not win is a different story.

Lots of different speculations going around at the moment, one I heard was Mourhino was losing the dressing room. With a row with JT about his form the directors thought enough was enough.

I fancy Deschamps to be manager with Zola as his No. 2

The king is dead, long live the king. :D

Grant set to take over at Chelsea

Mourinho was opposed to Grant's appointment in the summer

Chelsea are set to name Avram Grant as their new manager replacing former boss Jose Mourinho, BBC Sport understands.

The Israeli, who was the director of football, will now take charge with Steve Clarke as his assistant.

Grant is expected to be named at Stamford Bridge later today, BBC Sport's Garry Richardson has revealed.

The 51-year-old is a close friend of Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich and his summer arrival at the club came after opposition from Mourinho.

Once appointed, Mourinho told Grant not to interfere with team affairs but the Israeli held a strong position with a post on the board.

Grant previously held the position of technical director at Portsmouth before going to Chelsea.

And he guided Israel to the brink of World Cup qualification in 2006, having also coached Maccabi Tel-Aviv and Maccabi Haifa.

Former Chelsea player and BBC pundit Gavin Peacock said the appointment was a surprise and Grant would need to work hard to maintain team morale.

"If you're bringing in someone like (Russia manager) Guus Hiddink, then you're bringing in someone of great repute, as for Grant, I don't know.

"I think the heart of the team will be affected by (Mourinho's departure). It will be very difficult to get that team spirit that Mourinho managed to manufacture very quickly at Chelsea."

Avi Cohen, the chairman of the Israeli Football Association and friend of Grant said that the reaction in Israel was one of shock also.

"Avram Grant is very successful in Israel. He won the championship with several teams and he knows football," he said.

"Even so it is a shock that he was chosen. (Previously) he said that he had a very good position at Chelsea. With Abramovich, he is a very good friend and Abramovich believed in him.

"I'm not sure that he won't be successful more than anyone else. If he has the ability he can be successful."

How are you fancying your chances against the mancs this weekend then Seapok :o:D:D .

I fancy a good win over the Manc's sunday!, the news is a shock and I as most Chelsea fans are very disappointed by the fact Jose has gone

but it will only make our boys fight harder as a team and to show the world Chelsea FC are bigger than any one person!!

COME ON THE BLUES!!!

Wise surprised by Jose exit

Dennis Wise feels the Stamford Bridge dressing room will be a 'sad' place following Jose Mourinho's departure.

Chelsea parted company with Mourinho on Thursday, with Avram Grant and Steve Clarke placed in charge of first-team affairs.

Former Blues captain Wise, who made 445 apppearances during over a decade at the club, was taken aback by the announcement.

"I think everyone is surprised about the situation," said Wise on Sky Sports News.

"He's a fantastic manager and a good man as well. I spoke to him a couple of times, and asked him about a couple of things, and he's been very kind to us.

"A lot of people will miss him. I think the Premiership will miss him.

"He's a good character, a good man, and a fantastic manager as well."

Wise, who is now manager of Leeds United, believes the Chelsea squad will feel the loss of Mourinho.

He added: "I think people see his style of football and there were a lot of things he brought.

"He had charisma, a lot of style in the way he is and confidence, he had so much confidence.

"He brought a group that believed in him and had done everything they possibly could for him.

"I'm sure that dressing room is a bit sad today."

How are you fancying your chances against the mancs this weekend then Seapok :o:D:D .

I fancy a good win over the Manc's sunday!, the news is a shock and I as most Chelsea fans are very disappointed by the fact Jose has gone

but it will only make our boys fight harder as a team and to show the world Chelsea FC are bigger than any one person!!

COME ON THE BLUES!!!

'Tis better to play exciting football than to play dull <deleted> and try to reach the stars but fail.

Old West Ham proverb (well I just made it up really) :D

Still, a lot of Chelsea supporters would agree in essence I know. :D

Edited by Happy Hammer

Seapok

Rating: 5

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts

post 2007-09-18 11:04:16

Post #878

Group: Advanced Members

Member No.: 36,993

Mourinho is key to glory - Kenyon

Chief executive Peter Kenyon insists Chelsea's hunger for success will not cost manager Jose Mourinho his job.

Kenyon says Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich's long-term plans for the Blues include Mourinho at the helm.

He said: "There's loads of speculation that if we don't win Jose gets fired, but that's not the way we think.

It wasn't that much of a surprise :D to Peter then....! :o

redrus

Chelsea say Mourinho had to leave

Jose Mourinho left Stamford Bridge because the relationship between club and manager broke down, say Chelsea.

Mourinho stunned football by parting company with Chelsea late on Wednesday, and has been replaced by Avram Grant.

"The reason the decision has been taken is that we believed the breakdown started to impact on the performance of the team," said a Chelsea statement.

"Recent results supported this view. We did not want this to continue or affect the club further."

Mourinho made an emotional farewell to his players at Chelsea's Cobham training ground on Thursday, an occasion that is understood to have left striker Didier Drogba in tears.

And following the shock news, the club released an "open letter to its fans" to thank supporters for their "patience and understanding during what has been a difficult time".

We had all reached a point where the relationship between the club and Jose had broken down. This was despite genuine attempts over several months by all parties to resolve certain differences

The statement said: "It is only right that we explain the reasons behind Jose Mourinho leaving Chelsea and also recognise the immense contribution he has made to the club and to English football.

"Early this morning we announced that Chelsea and Jose Mourinho had agreed to part company by mutual consent.

"The key phrase here is that there was mutual agreement. Jose did not resign and he was not sacked.

"What is clear, though, is we had all reached a point where the relationship between the club and Jose had broken down. This was despite genuine attempts over several months by all parties to resolve certain differences."

And the club praised Mourinho for his achievements at the club, which included winning successive Premier League titles.

"Chelsea's long-term football objectives and ambitions remain unchanged, and the appointment of Avram Grant and Steve Clarke is aimed at continuing to achieve those goals.

"We also must pay tribute to the great job Jose did for Chelsea. He has been the most successful manager the club has known and he rightly deserves that place in our history.

"Jose has been instrumental in putting Chelsea where it is today, among the leading clubs in European and world football.

"He will always be welcome at Stamford Bridge, whether as the guest of Chelsea or as the manager of another club, and he will be given the reception and respect his position in our history deserves."

Grant, 52, steps up to the role of Chelsea manager from director of football and will be assisted by Steve Clarke.

The Israeli is due to be unveiled at a news conference on Friday.

Mourinho, meanwhile, is in line to receive up to £25m in compensation after three years in charge of the Blues, BBC Sport understands.

The Portuguese still has another three years to run on his reputed £5.2m-a-year deal.

Lawyers for both sides are still working on the severance package that will include confidentiality clauses.

According to BBC football correspondent Jonathan Legard, discussions are said to be well advanced as the split was seen coming.

Legard has also been told Mourinho has felt a sense of relief since his departure.

"He's felt boxed-in from demands on high, he's felt boxed-in from the boardroom in terms of boardroom dealings," said Legard.

"And he's felt under pressure from those alongside him in the dugout, namely the man who has succeeded him, Avram Grant."

Chelsea have confirmed that Mourinho's backroom staff have also left the club, including assistant managers Baltemar Brito and Rui Faria.

Head opposition scout Andre Villas and goalkeeping coach Silvino Louro have also departed Stamford Bridge.

It wasn't that much of a surprise :D to Peter then....! :o

redrus

I never have or never will like Kenyon, he is a snake in the grass, someone who couldn't be trusted as far as he could be thrown, he should be next out the door.

Bring back Colin Hutchinson, there was a decent man that loved the club for all the right reasons.

i can see a new song on the horizon,,to the tune of alice.

grant grant who the <deleted> is grant.

seriously anyone heard of this guy before i hear he is a good pal of roman.

as for beatng us on sunday chelsea have been our boggy team at home for many years, so a win to us is not on the cards but i will go another 1-0 win united rooney.

seriously anyone heard of this guy before i hear he is a good pal of roman.

I certainly hadn't heard of him up until a few months ago.

as for beatng us on sunday chelsea have been our boggy team at home for many years, so a win to us is not on the cards but i will go another 1-0 win united rooney.

Yeah, right nev. If it was at Chelsea ok but it's at Old Trafford, so me thinks your playing your cards close to your chest :o

Mourinho exit could spark exodus

Chelsea could face a fight to keep hold of several of their best players after the departure of Jose Mourinho.

Reports are rife that many of the club's highest profile players now want to follow him out of Chelsea.

Defender Ricardo Carvalho said: "It is a very sad day for me and the team. I had a big offer from Real Madrid but I stayed at Chelsea because of Mourinho."

And summer signing Florent Malouda added: "I joined Chelsea because of my first meeting with Mourinho."

Several reports claim striker Didier Drogba is "furious and upset" at the parting of the ways between Chelsea and their charismatic Portuguese coach.

AC Milan are admirers of the Ivory Coast striker and would happily finance a move to take him to the San Siro.

Drogba, 29, was Chelsea's top scorer with 33 goals last season.

Reports claim Michael Essien, who was brought to the club by Mourinho in August 2005, could be considering his future.

But BBC Sport understands the Ghana midfielder will not be leaving Stamford Bridge.

The 24-year-old is enjoying life in English football and considers the manager's departure as part of the game.

But Paulo Ferreira, also brought to Chelsea by Mourinho, is said to be mulling over his future at the club.

A huge question mark will also hang over the future of England midfield man Frank Lampard, who has already put talks on a new contract on hold and was regarded as one of Mourinho's most trusted lieutenants in the dressing room.

Lampard has long been linked with a move to Spain with either Real Madrid or Barcelona.

Carvalho added: "For me there is no doubt, Jose Mourinho is the best coach in the world and I cannot believe that we have lost him.

"I never thought he would leave Chelsea without finishing his work, without achieving everything he wanted to.

"This is the first time he has ever done this and it will be terrible for him. He loved Chelsea."

Veteran midfield man Claude Makelele added: "This news was like a bomb for me. I would never have believed we would see the exit of the coach just two months into the season.

"We have seen the tension on Mourinho with the results in the Premier League, but he was still confident.

"The new injuries had really hit the manager hard and you could see the anxiety grow as the results started to go wrong."

Ferguson pays tribute to Mourinho

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson says he will miss his personal duels with Jose Mourinho following his riva's shock departure from Chelsea.

Ferguson, whose team host the Blues on Sunday, added: "He was terrific for football and terrific for Chelsea.

"He brought something fresh and new to our game and I enjoyed the competition with him. I wish him well."

Arsene Wenger, who had several run-ins with Mourinho, added that the former Porto boss was a "great manager".

Ferguson and Mourinho first went head-to-head when the Portuguese masterminded Porto's surprise victory over Man Utd in the 2003/4 Champions League campaign.

Since then the pair have enjoyed a very competitive relationship but one that had an underlying level of respect.

"He enjoyed unparalleled success there, without question," said Ferguson. "It is a big test for whoever replaces him - and at the moment that is Avram Grant."

Ferguson added it was important that his players did not allow the story to distract them from the Premier League clash with Chelsea this weekend.

"We have to be focused on ourselves and Sunday's game," said Ferguson.

"We are still playing Chelsea. It is still the same players and that in itself is a challenge for us.

"If you look at the record between us over the last three or four years, there is nothing in it."

Wenger, despite the much-publicised disputes with his London adversary, has also paid tribute to Mourinho's achievements.

"He arrived when Chelsea were on the way up... they had a good side already and he did something more and made them winners," said the Arsenal boss.

"He deserves a lot of credit for that because it is never easy to win and in England it is maybe more difficult.

"We didn't get on the best but recently it has become better. That does not hide the fact I respected what he did and the quality of his work."

Mourinho infuriated Wenger when he described the Frenchman as a "voyeur".

In response, the Gunners boss said of Mourinho: "When you give success to stupid people, it makes them more stupid sometimes and not more intelligent."

But Wenger insisted he had immense respect for the way Mourinho transformed Chelsea one of Europe's most powerful teams and won back-to-back Premier League titles.

Wenger added he felt he and Mourinho had always been closely matched as coaches.

"I feel we were very close and we have to accept that they beat us a few times and they were better than us a few times in the last three years," said the Frenchman.

Asked about Chelsea's immediate future and the possibility they would be weakened by the loss of their charismatic coach, he replied: "Time will tell."

But he was quick to praise new Blues boss Grant, promoted from director of football to replace Mourinho.

"He is a very intelligent man with a big knowledge of the game so he will adapt," said Wenger, whose table-topping side entertain Derby on Saturday.

Unlike Ferguson and Wenger, Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez declined to comment at all about Mourinho.

The pair have clashed several times, notably during the Champions League semi-finals in 2005 and 2007.

Benitez also frequently suggested it was Roman Abramovich's billions that bought back-to-back Premier League titles for the Blues rather than Mouinho's genius.

"You know my relationship with him, it is better that I do not say anything," said Benitez. "At the moment I am more worried about Birmingham boss Steve Bruce."

Liverpool face Birmingham at Anfield on Saturday.